Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2006 College Football Season

GoTexans

Noob
Who do you guys like to win it all this year?

Ohio St.
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
LSU
Penn St. or
Alabama or
Someone else?

GoTexans said:

Ohio St.
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
LSU
Penn St. or
Alabama or
Someone else?

LSU but hopefully Matt will get the QB job.

GoTexans said:

Ohio St.
Texas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
LSU
Penn St. or
Alabama or
Someone else?

I'm predicting Oklahoma. Everyone else lost too many key pieces with the exception of maybe Notre Dame and Penn St.

I could see West Virginia winning it all. They looked pretty good last year and have all the important guys coming back. Easy schedule also.

I dunno... the Big 12 got pretty weak after this last draft... Aggies chance to slip in a championship title! :pigfly:

Ohio St. or Alabama, IMO. OU ain't got nothin'.

I'm not a Texas, A&M, or OU fan. I don't really like the Florida schools either. I guess I choose Notre Dame.

Too early to decide who will win it all right now, but Ohio St., ND, and West Virginia have a good chance. BTW people watch some WV games if you want to see a studhorse kid in the making Slaton will have the Reggie Bush hype in a year or two. Oklahoma should be pretty good this year and if Peterson stays healthy they could get some people. My school TAMU is solid and we have a QB better suited for the system, but I still dont think we are there yet.

Coach C. said:
BTW people watch some WV games if you want to see a studhorse kid in the making Slato.

Slaton is a BA. HE tore up Georgia last year... of course it's easy to tear up a team with a slow linebacking core... that takes bad angles...and sucks against the run...and ...:brickwall

I like Notre Dame and Oklahoma, although I haven't kept up with the spring ball at all. Ohio State, West Virginia, LSU, Miami, and Virginia Tech are all capable of having good seasons too (among many others).

I'll go with Ohio State.

They're replacing 9 starters on defense but when has tOSU ever struggled on defense? They've got two tough games on the road (Texas and Iowa). Only other worthy opponent is Michigan and they play at the Shoe. They also don't have to worry about a conference championship game possibly tripping them up (SEC, BIG12, ACC).

LSU has a good chance (especially getting Ally Broussard back) but, really i think it is a toss up who will when it all. Every major contending school lost a valuable to the draft.

Baylor University....hey it could happen, and then Disney would have to make a movie about it. I'm sure that oddsmakers in Vegas have them as their ultralongshot underdogs.

Texans86 said:
Baylor University....hey it could happen, and then Disney would have to make a movie about it. I'm sure that oddsmakers in Vegas have them as their ultralongshot underdogs.

Baylor sure was a beast to texas a&m a few years ago.....hehehe

HomeBred_Texan said:
Notre Dame, they have the QB and are due

Its not just about having a top QB, they need to have all the other pieces, and I just don't see them having all the needed pieces yet.

Ohio State or, if Penn State beats us, Penn State.

Sure Ohio State lost thei D-Line core, but our school simply produces them. Granted we may not have an AJ Hawk this year, but our guys will step up.

Troy Smith has grown so much over the last two years, he'll be a college QB to be feared this year.

Sure, Holmes leaving will leave a gap to be filled, but I think Ginn has FINALLY learned how to run routes, and will be able to fill the gap left by Holmes. And we still have our super TE Gonzalez out there!

With a weaker D, Tressel is going to have to coach up an EXPLOSIVE offensive, something we don't normally do. Should be an exciting year for us regardless.

The winner will be determined Sept. 9 when Ohio State travels to Austin. Like last year, I expect the visitor to win. I love my horns, but I think OSU has the edge this year and expect them to take it all. Like OSU last year, I predict UT to lose at home but make it to a BCS game.

UT's strength will be Jamal Charles. He may be young, but Texas knows how to exploit a good running back.

oso said:
The winner will be determined Sept. 9 when Ohio State travels to Austin. Like last year, I expect the visitor to win. I love my horns, but I think OSU has the edge this year and expect them to take it all. Like OSU last year, I predict UT to lose at home but make it to a BCS game.

UT's strength will be Jamal Charles. He may be young, but Texas knows how to exploit a good running back.

Let's hope they change the offensive formation, as we don'y have VY anymore.

oso said:

UT will likely end up a lot like OU last year as they lost a lot of good players to the NFL and will start a freshman QB. They will likely struggle a lot early on and end up with a pretty solid record but they won't be in the mix for a national championship.

HomeBred_Texan said:
Notre Dame, they have the QB and are due
Agreed. IF Texas upsets OSU & OU....hmmmm. Be a good year for Texas to get on one of those red river runs. :hides:

Golden Domers were one play away last year from beating Espn's anionted greatest college team ever. ND 42 -Texas 24.

Doesn't Arkansas play Texas this year. Arkansas will actually be very tough this year. As much as i hate them they have a good qb and a good rb and they almost won at LSU last year. But you never know

MorKnolle said:
UT will likely end up a lot like OU last year as they lost a lot of good players to the NFL and will start a freshman QB. They will likely struggle a lot early on and end up with a pretty solid record but they won't be in the mix for a national championship.
OU didn't have an offensive line last year or a healthy Peterson. Texas has a good/great OL and if Charles can't stay healthy, there's depth behind him.

But yeah, no MNC for Texas this year.

threetoedpete said:
Agreed. IF Texas upsets OSU & OU....hmmmm. Be a good year for Texas to get on one of those red river runs. :hides:

Golden Domers were one play away last year from beating Espn's anionted greatest college team ever. ND 42 -Texas 24.

ND will definetly be the team to beat this year.

There are a couple of guys that could take their teams to the National Championship, it's just a matter of who. Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson, Troy Smith, Chris Leak(doubt it, but maybe,) Brady Quinn, or the Penn St. WR corps. I'd say Troy Smith, who I'd say is better than or will be better than Vince Young.

mexican_texan said:
There are a couple of guys that could take their teams to the National Championship, it's just a matter of who. Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson, Troy Smith, Chris Leak(doubt it, but maybe,) Brady Quinn, or the Penn St. WR corps. I'd say Troy Smith, who I'd say is better than or will be better than Vince Young.

I think Jamaal Charles has a ways to go before you can put him in the catagory of those other guys excluding the penn st wr. charles will have a great year put will be called upon to carry more of the load (only had 119 carries) and we don't know if he can do that. the defense will should carry them early in the year and the offense will be a joint effort lead by the running game. for penn st. to make another run at the title it will be because of there defense lead by the best lb corp in the nation. anthony morelli has all the talent but hasn't started a game before and will need some time. i think Chris Leak will suprise some people and play better than he did last year but i don't see them having a very good or anyone from the sec for that matter because everyone will beat everyone. I can't wait for the season to start because there isn't a clear cut number 1 that there has been over the past few years.

Smokedawg said:
Doesn't Arkansas play Texas this year. Arkansas will actually be very tough this year. As much as i hate them they have a good qb and a good rb and they almost won at LSU last year. But you never know
Yeah but Matt Jones dun burned up that once evey twenty five year upset card. Haugs know it too. To Quote Ron White:Texas is "Looooooaaaaaded".

the big test will vs. texas in austin I will be putting my money on the Troy Smith / Tedd Ginn show and for extra measures pittman and chris wells at running backs

Smokedawg said:
Thought I saw were they signed a HOME & HOME starting in '07. Hook 'em.. Also thought I saw where their stud RB is down this year ? anyone else see that? or am I mixing my RBs ?
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sec/arkansas.htm
Best Offensive Player: Sophomore RB Darren McFadden. How good was McFadden's freshman season? He was only the seventh freshman to ever crank out 1,000 yards in a season. When you join a list that includes Herschel Walker and Emmitt Smith, you've done something right. He has speed, power, and the hands to be used a bit at wide receiver.

mexican_texan said:

Blasphemy

Back