Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

1st String vs. 2nd String etc

gtexan02

Working?
I hear a lot of the following statements:
Carr is better because he's playing against the 1st string.

Rosenfels stats may be better, but its against the 2nd team D.

or,

Rosenfels may be playing against 2nd string Ds, but he's also playing with the 2nd team O!

Morency may be rushing well against 2nd string D, but he's also playing with the 2nd team OL!

I'm just curious what people think about this. Should their stats count the same? Why should we discount Sage's stats? Just because he's playing against the 2nd team? After all, he only has his own 2nd string offense to work with.

But this doesn't make sense. Do you look at the best player in NFLE and think to yourself, he's great, because he's making that happen with other NFLE talents around him. No. Playing against the 2nd team D or O for that matter is easier than playing with or against the 1st string. Even if you have other 1st or 2nd stringers around you.

What do you think?

not sure, for me I see a Texan team that is finally getting some depth and the way I see that is our 2nd and 3rd team is playing even(if not better than) with the other teams 2nd and 3rd.. I am liking that.

I don't discredit what Sage is doing, I think he is doing a pretty darn good job.

It is hard to judge unless I broke down the 2nd units of the other teams compared to their 1st unit. What I am getting at is unlike our DL which is 8 deep now and our 2nd unit can bring it, our secondary is basically after D-rob not very good(even though I like Lewis and p-buch and faggins), there just is a talent drop off between 1st string and 2nd string.

gtexan02 said:
What do you think?

This is where so many QB controversies come from and the old saying about how the 2nd string QB is always the fan favorite. It makes perfect sense if a person can light it up with 2nd and 3rd stringers against 2nd and 3rd stringers that he'd be able to light it up with the 1st stringers against the 1st stringers... but it usually doesn't work out that way. I've seen this sort of thing a lot. You see a guy lighting it up in the preseason against the 2nd and 3rd stringers and then you get them into a real game and they can't work the same magic. From what some of the Dolphin fans have said, Sage has been one of those guys in the past.

Back