Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

#12 Pick

If you really want the Texans to trade for Mims you need to Tanya Harding him, a wide receiver with a knee injury gets Nicks's Spidey senses tingling.

It could be interesting and bit more difficult to trade for Mims now that the Jets traded WR- Elijah Moore and kept him to pair with Wilson.

I’m hoping edge rusher or trade down.

Problem with the WRs at 12 is it seems like they would excel as slot WRs and Metchie was drafted for that role. Other than Johnston the others are slot guys or slight of frame like Hyatt. I don’t really see the alpha WR. Not to say none of them can become that.

And i’m in the minority but I am happy with the WR room THIS SEASON without needing to spend a premium pick on it. There will be two first round picks next season to address if its clear they need to. Add a speed guy if you want round 4 or Mingo if he’s there to audition for the Deebo role. But I want to see how this mix of WRs pan out to use #12 to address the trenches.

All that being said, I expect WR taken because it sells tickets with a shiny franchise QB. But I am holding out hope that DeMeco gets what he wants which is a badass edge rusher of which there are plenty to choose from.

But this is going to be a run-oriented football team and they just added a top 10 TE. Look at this group and compare them to the group the Jags trotted out opening day last season. I would put the potential of this group as good or better than the Jags with Christian Kirk/Zay Jones/Evan Engram and Etienne at RB.
Hyatt and Johnston are perimeter wrs. Don't let the slight frame of Hyatt fool you. He's fast enough to take the roof off the defense.

Hyatt and Johnston are perimeter wrs. Don't let the slight frame of Hyatt fool you. He's fast enough to take the roof off the defense.

I wouldn’t hate it. But I see him as Will Fuller 2.0 at best. But I think Fuller was better coming out. Specifically as a route runner and of course faster timed speed.

12 is a bit too high for that imo. Not a 100 catch alpha type imo

Can he get off the jam though?

You’ve obviously watched film by now…..what did you see? He did smoke Bama’s defense for 5 TD’s.

Hyatt is a competitor and has no fear in blocking downfield. He’ll gain more weight and strength as he moves forward. I wouldn’t be surprised that we would see him fill out to 187-190 pounds while maintaining his speed by his second season.

You’ve obviously watched film by now…..what did you see? He did smoke Bama’s defense for 5 TD’s.

Hyatt is a competitor and has no fear in blocking downfield. He’ll gain more weight and strength as he moves forward. I wouldn’t be surprised that we would see him fill out to 187-190 pounds while maintaining his speed by his second season.
I've come around to taking an Edge/DE at 12. Hyatt is not likely to be on the board at 33. And if we want a top OC, we'll need to take him in the 2nd. There are several fast receivers going to be there in the 3rd.

Our #12 pick in an odd way is this years most interesting pick because it's clearly a mystery with who we use the pick
for, or even what position we draft where there's no mystery with who we use the top pick (#2 ) on because it's gonna be CJ Stroud or Bryce Young and even that will be decided by Carolina and not us.

I wouldn’t hate it. But I see him as Will Fuller 2.0 at best. But I think Fuller was better coming out. Specifically as a route runner and of course faster timed speed.

12 is a bit too high for that imo. Not a 100 catch alpha type imo
I don't think you need a 100 catch guy. If you're lucky enough, cool, but it's not needed. Give me a 80 catch 1400 yd guy taking the top off and that will open the run game and all the underneath sideline to sideline catches with rac.

#12 will likely be traded like last year. But wherever we land I see either pass rusher or WR. I'd lean very slightly pass rusher simply because I feel there are more impact players available around that mid-first area than WR but I'd be fine with either one.

Whichever we don't choose there, I'm looking to see if I like any of the available guys at 33 vs. other positions of need. If we go Edge at 15ish...then I first look at WR at 33 but I don't force it. If there's a guy at TE, C, CB, TE, or LB and they are clearly ahead on their board, take that guy. We can always get our #1 WR next year and draft a flyer later in this draft.

I don't think you need a 100 catch guy. If you're lucky enough, cool, but it's not needed. Give me a 80 catch 1400 yd guy taking the top off and that will open the run game and all the underneath sideline to sideline catches with rac.

Would be nice but I see just above 1000 yards best case scenario. Fuller never went over 1000 yards in a season (never played enough). The standard comp for this type of player Desean Jackson’s best season was 82 rec 1329 yards and 9 tds. But other seasons 1000-1100 yards when he was healthy enough to play majority of the season.

I guess you could hope he’s Tyreek Hill, the burner that is healthy. Again, I wouldn’t be mad if he’s the pick. But 12 is too high for what I think he is gonna end up being. Think better bang for buck is the edge rusher choices at 12.

My thoughts are a young QB needs a powerful back field for a run game and the 18 game season is very demanding on RB's. I still say we take Bijan Robinson so we have a serious 1-2 punch. Bijan can block very good and catch passes out of backfield. The man is rated as #1 or 2 on the Big Board and at #12 we can't go wrong.
With them signing Singletary they might wait until the 3rd or 4th round to draft a RB.

My thoughts are a young QB needs a powerful back field for a run game and the 18 game season is very demanding on RB's. I still say we take Bijan Robinson so we have a serious 1-2 punch. Bijan can block very good and catch passes out of backfield. The man is rated as #1 or 2 on the Big Board and at #12 we can't go wrong.
I like Bijan but haven't seen him 1 or 2 on any board and I review a lot.

Tell me why you like him better than Zach Charbonnet round 3 or Abanikanda in 5th?

We now have a serious 1-2 punch but agree we should get another power guy who can catch. Glad you think we will have an 18 games season getting that last game in playoffs. I'm not there yet.

According to PFF, Hyatt only saw 31 snaps vs. press coverage.
That's a very small sample size.

According to this tweet, he only had one catch vs press coverage:

That uniform is either Akron or UT Martin; so even that catch doesn't tell us anything.

Actually, I saw another catch in press coverage (but no jam) in the Georgia game for 3 yards.

That's it.

Hyatt vs. press coverage, especially with a DB's jam, is still an unknown.

According to PFF, Hyatt only saw 31 snaps vs. press coverage.
That's a very small sample size.

According to this tweet, he only had one catch vs press coverage:

That uniform is either Akron or UT Martin; so even that catch doesn't tell us anything.

Actually, I saw another catch in press coverage (but no jam) in the Georgia game for 3 yards.

That's it.

Hyatt vs. press coverage, especially with a DB's jam, is still an unknown.
My recall is most of that was due to Tennessee oline which allowed large number QB hurries and sacks to Hooker.

My recall is most of that was due to Tennessee oline which allowed large number QB hurries and sacks to Hooker.
Whatever the reason, we still don't know how he will fare in the NFL vs. Press coverage.
And these NFL DBs are much better than the ones he faced, on the average, in college.
Makes it difficult to project him.

Whatever the reason, we still don't know how he will fare in the NFL vs. Press coverage.
And these NFL DBs are much better than the ones he faced, on the average, in college.
I just don't agree. The new system, improved offensive line, better QB and RBs; I expect Hyatt to do very well, if selected.

Your statement covers each and every draft pick. Projections are opinions and like arseholes, everyone has one. Each and every regular season game will set the reality of draft picks, who are competing on the field of play. So, roll the dice and hope that you’ve picked right.

If Bijan is there at 12 I'm all for it.
In my estimation by the end of the season, the Texans would have the consensus best backfield in the entire league.
Actually, well before the end of the season
That pick would cover RB and WR, so in that case, I'm not against it.
Thing is, Texans are gonna take a QB first, and they desperately need an upgrade in the pass rush department so that is going to be the pick at #12.
I also wouldn't be mad with Michael Mayer at #12 either as he would beef up the Oline and is an excellent receiver, but, as I mentioned before, Texans badly need pass rush and I'm pretty sure DeMeco has a lot of sway there.

Your statement covers each and every draft pick. Projections are opinions and like arseholes, everyone has one. Each and every regular season game will set the reality of draft picks, who are competing on the field of play. So, roll the dice and hope that you’ve picked right.
No, my statement doesn't cover all draft picks.
There are those who had played against tons of press coverage in college and you can see how they perform in those situations.
I recall one year when we were discussing receivers in the draft, I was strongly against one guy (I don't remember his name) because he did not look good in those situations.

I'm sure teams can bring guys in for a workout, right?

Wish he had gone to the Senior Bowl where we could at least see him in practice against press coverage.

I just don't agree. The new system, improved offensive line, better QB and RBs; I expect Hyatt to do very well, if selected.
There's nothing to agree or disagree on.

I only said that I don't know how he will look against press coverage.

I didn't say that he will do poorly.

The #12 pick is the pick that I fear the Texans could let me down on. I fear they may do something like draft a LB or a S or something like that. I'm hoping that the Texans snatch JSN if he somehow drops to the Texans at 12. That would be sweet, especially if its Stroud that the Texans pick at 2. If JSN isn't available at 12 but Van Ness is, I hope the Texans take him! Be on the lookout for the Titans at 11 to try to take a player that they know the Texans want!

The #12 pick is the pick that I fear the Texans could let me down on. I fear they may do something like draft a LB or a S or something like that. I'm hoping that the Texans snatch JSN if he somehow drops to the Texans at 12. That would be sweet, especially if its Stroud that the Texans pick at 2. If JSN isn't available at 12 but Van Ness is, I hope the Texans take him! Be on the lookout for the Titans at 11 to try to take a player that they know the Texans want!
Van Ness should be there. I'm hoping Tyree Wilson falls to 12. If we need another receiver, I'm looking at Trey Palmer or Bryce Ford-Wheaton in the 5th. Both are sub 4.40.

Reactions: JB
There will be many Caserio trade down memes but I think if we can find a trade partner that would be ideal. Just not overly excited about any of the players that fall in that range. If you were able to say get a 2nd rounder from a team to move back to the late teens or early 20’s you could potentially tap into a deep Edge/TE class at 33 and get the center JMS with the other 2nd rounder.

To me that would be an excellent outcome

I also don’t really want to touch WR with any of the 1st 3 picks the more I look at it. That is unless a guy like Johnston, Addison or Flowers falls to 33. Then I could be convinced

Van Ness should be there. I'm hoping Tyree Wilson falls to 12. If we need another receiver, I'm looking at Trey Palmer or Bryce Ford-Wheaton in the 5th. Both are sub 4.40.
Ford Wheaton doesn't play to his posted speed. Much like the Michigan corner and his 4.27

Ford Wheaton doesn't play to his posted speed. Much like the Michigan corner and his 4.27
Yes, DraftBuzz says: " doesn't make the effort to create separation". But this may be why he might be available in the 5th or 6th. Apart from his effort, he checks off other boxes. Had a bit of a decline as a fifth year senior in 2022, but showed some promise in 2019, 2020 and 2021. I like him as a late 3rd day pick.

55% chance WR, 35% DE/Edge, 5% Bijon, 5% other position. I'm assuming they aren't signing another FA or making some sort of trade at this point.

I had it close to equal with edge and WR b4 FA, but the fact that they went "old vet" in FA with Woods, and then traded Cooks leaves that cupboard remarkably bare. Other than QB, it's the worst group on the team. You can't count on Metchie. He's a bonus if he kicks butt. The individual players available will play a role in the 1.12 selection, but if a WR isn't picked there, they will grab one at 2.33.

I'm leaning toward JSN, but I could buy into Q Johnston too. Those are really my only guys at 1.12 at WR. At 2.33, I like Zay Flowers if he makes it that far.
I'm liking Flowers the more I watch his film. He's explosive and can create in open space.

Ford Wheaton doesn't play to his posted speed.
Yes, DraftBuzz says: " doesn't make the effort to create separation".
These are similar knocks that were made on DJ Metcalf and AJ Brown when they entered the draft. Fact is, there is little separation in the NFL, without Tyreek Hill speed and explosiveness. Guys that can make contested catches are the ones that shine in the NFL. I don't know if Ford-Wheaton is one of those guys. But with his metrics, he'll get his chance.

This team still needs a WR1, but Metchie's strength is his route running so expecting him to be a very solid WR2 even if from the slot.
I'd argue we don't so much need a WR1 but an X who has the speed that needs to be respected, sub 4.4 speed. Young, if we get him, will mostly be throwing intermediate and short routes. When the defense begins to crowd the line to stop the run, he'll need an X to take the top off down field, maybe four or five times a game.

I'd argue we don't so much need a WR1 but an X who has the speed that needs to be respected, sub 4.4 speed. Young, if we get him, will mostly be throwing intermediate and short routes. When the defense begins to crowd the line to stop the run, he'll need an X to take the top off down field, maybe four or five times a game.

After seeing Chark’s contract, he would have been perfect to round out the WR group this season. But I imagine they have ideas in the draft.

I’m in the minority with our #2 pick (I’d take Anderson), and I’m sure I’ll be in the minority with our 12. I’d take Bijan. He’s the best RB I’ve looked at since Peterson and he reminds me a lot of Tomlinson.
Yeah we signed Singletary, but Singletary is just a guy. Robinson would step in day 1 and be the guy at RB and he’d keep Pierce fresh and that’s something he’ll need because his running style doesn’t last long. Pierce would wear out tires defenses in the 4th quarter.
Bijan is also an elite receiver as far as RBs go. He’s lined up outside and in the slot. He gets his head around out of the backfield. I truly believe he’ll be the best RB in football by the end of his 2nd season. He will be a guy you can pencil in for 1300-1400 rushing yards and 50-60 catches with double digit TDs and our QBs best friend because he’s damn good at picking up the blitz.
He’s far and away the best RB in this class and he’s be my guy at 12.

There's nothing to agree or disagree on.

I only said that I don't know how he will look against press coverage.

I didn't say that he will do poorly.
We disagree that it is difficult to project him. I understand your POV.

You read my mind about messing up at 12 as i can see them picking Alabama Young and then 'bama's Safety Branch. Just a feeling..
JSN injury has me shaking my head, repeating no no no as if IRS were to say I owe them money.

Yes, DraftBuzz says: " doesn't make the effort to create separation". But this may be why he might be available in the 5th or 6th. Apart from his effort, he checks off other boxes. Had a bit of a decline as a fifth year senior in 2022, but showed some promise in 2019, 2020 and 2021. I like him as a late 3rd day pick.
Well.. if lack of effort no concern..

I do not want that player on my team even if he's gifted to me as a undrafted free agent. That was a major concern of mine watching will anderson this past season after watching him in 2021. At least he had a high draft pick to protect.

Yes! Hyatt is that X especially if QB has Quentin also.

These are similar knocks that were made on DJ Metcalf and AJ Brown when they entered the draft. Fact is, there is little separation in the NFL, without Tyreek Hill speed and explosiveness. Guys that can make contested catches are the ones that shine in the NFL. I don't know if Ford-Wheaton is one of those guys. But with his metrics, he'll get his chance.
Nah, Metcalf was 20 ypc. In college, that's the 1st thing I look at. Remember Chad Jackson of Florida who ran a 4.3 but was 10 ypc in college? All the space in college and you avg 10 or 11 ypc and run a 4.3? That tells me you can't carry your pads.

Back