Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

06 Texans Saving Grace or Downfall...

Doody

Practice Squad
This is my first post, I've been reading the MB for months but i just signed up so hopfully my first thread can be intresting or somwhat useful. Its also a sort of introduction for me i guess.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what everyone thought this years team's saving grace (single biggest reason the team will be succeful) would mosy likely be (if there is one), and what they think the teams downfall (single biggest reason we will fail) could be.

IMO, our saving grace is going to be the fact that although we lost 14 games last year, even with a large lack of talent at TE, WR, OL, LB, and young DB's, not to mention awful play calling, we still took a lead into the 4th quarter of alot of games and lost by only a single score. With the huge upgrade in talent, coaching and hopfully play calling, we should convert those painful loses into wins.

Our downfall could be the fact that talent and depth wise our team still has alot less than all but maybe 4 other nfl teams thanks to some very poor draft decisions in the past. also we are a very young team, but in the long run that should be a reason to be optimistic. they can gain exp whether we win or lose and i trust this front office to do some amazing things if we have another high spot in the draft.

no matter what happens this year, im expecting to see the texans in the playoffs in 08, and i think by next year we will at least be able to compete in every game we play.

I would say the O line for both. The tone they set will determine how successful our season will be, there are other factors as well but IMO the O line is the most important. :twocents:

Doody said:
This is my first post, I've been reading the MB for months but i just signed up so hopfully my first thread can be intresting or somwhat useful. Its also a sort of introduction for me i guess.

Anyway, I wanted to ask what everyone thought this years team's saving grace (single biggest reason the team will be succeful) would mosy likely be (if there is one), and what they think the teams downfall (single biggest reason we will fail) could be.

IMO, our saving grace is going to be the fact that although we lost 14 games last year, even with a large lack of talent at TE, WR, OL, LB, and young DB's, not to mention awful play calling, we still took a lead into the 4th quarter of alot of games and lost by only a single score. With the huge upgrade in talent, coaching and hopfully play calling, we should convert those painful loses into wins.

Our downfall could be the fact that talent and depth wise our team still has alot less than all but maybe 4 other nfl teams thanks to some very poor draft decisions in the past. also we are a very young team, but in the long run that should be a reason to be optimistic. they can gain exp whether we win or lose and i trust this front office to do some amazing things if we have another high spot in the draft.

no matter what happens this year, im expecting to see the texans in the playoffs in 08, and i think by next year we will at least be able to compete in every game we play.
This is not basketball or Baseball, everyone has to get it done at the same time. BUT since I know none of you will accept that answer I will say the main reason we WILL do good will be David Carr.:cool:

I am not even thinking of the "downfall" part of it cause it WILL NOT happen.

Hulk75 said:
This is not basketball or Baseball, everyone has to get it done at the same time. BUT since I know none of you will accept that answer I will say the main reason we WILL do good will be David Carr.:cool:

I am not even thinking of the "downfall" part of it cause it WILL NOT happen.

I think the main reason we will do well is that our defensive line will get enough pressure to cause a "domino effect" and make our entire defense better.....I obviously think our downfall will be David Carr, for reasons discussed ad nauseum.

Honestly, I'm usually ever optimistic about my sports teams but the Texans are scaring me. We weren't just bad last year, we were awful. I know Capers sucked so I think our biggest saving grace is just ridding ourselves of him. Now we'll see if Kubiak makes a good head coach. I think Moulds was huge for us. With him and AJ on the outsides we have some legitimate threats. While I think we could have done much better in the draft - Mario does make us a lot better (I know he's yet to play an NFL snap, but I'm guessing.)

As for our downfall, and the reason I'm scared. It doesn't seem like we've upgraded the O-Line. I don't buy the they weren't coached right argument. They might have been coached poorly, but that doesn't change the fact that they were manhandled every time they stepped on the field. We are not just talking bad, we are talking worst ever (look at our sack totals.) Hand in hand with that, last year Carr looked like he had given up. I can't blame him, he takes more hits than most running backs, I don't know that he still has the confidence (notice I didn't say talent) to succeed. IF DD is unable to play this season we just lost our MVP.

In a nutshell, going into the season we have:
A big question mark at QB
A question mark at RB
One of the worst O-Lines
ONE proven CB
All of our hopes pinned on a rookie coach

I hate to be a pessimist, but I'm scared. Hopefully this season will make me regret posting this.

Taking into account our great potential in new coaching staff, new scheme and selection of players, things won't be optimal this year, but they are very promising.:

Saving Grace............................A healthy team

Our Fall from Grace....................An IR/PUP team

I got to go with CnD on it..

1)Offensively: saving grace.
a)stay healthy

b)Kubiak has forgotten more about an offense than probably Capers and crew combined.. (don't take this as a knock on Capers.. Capers is a 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy, Kubiak gets tricky)

c)OL..on paper looks like we have upgraded with an actual Center(not knocking McKinney he did what he could but he is a guard).
d)RB's..if our Gulf Coast Offense handles the way Denvers does (PnP RB's) we should be Successfull.
e) This is easily the most talented group of players on the offensive side that we have seen

2)Offense-Downfall

a)if injuries hit

b)OL--either our D-line is that good or OL has a ways to go

c)Carr..we have a lot of talent offensively and if Kubiak can't get Carr to make the right reads..Offense isn't going anywhere(but I think Kubiak will yank Carr if he is struggling)

3)Defensively-saving grace
a)injury free
b)our front 7 should create a lot of havok
c)the offense..if the offense can resemble anykind of ball control defense will be off of the field (something we have NEVER seen)

4)defensively- downfall
a)injuries
b) secondary..if they get hurt we are very thin already.

5)Special Teams-saving grace
a) field goals-hopefully less FG's and more PAT's
b)punting-hopefully more inside the 20 punts with better field position

6)special teams -downfall
a)kicking...I remember the misses that brown shanked..hopefully that was just part of a disasterous season on a whole.

Doody said:

welcome to the boards. The reason we'll be successful is down to Kubiaks motivation and an improved oline.
The reason we wont succees could be that the players have a losing mentality after last year.

swtbound07 said:
I think the main reason we will do well is that our defensive line will get enough pressure to cause a "domino effect" and make our entire defense better.....I obviously think our downfall will be David Carr, for reasons discussed ad nauseum.
*****Shocked*****

To be honest, I dont think this season is going to be a winning season. However we have alot of quality players and an improved new scheme. I think our potential return will occur next season and really pay off 2 years from now.

So to achieve real success in the future we need to:
1) Be competitve and never give up, even if we dont have a chance. If Kubiak doesnt put up with quitters and is prepared every game, it should come true.
2) Develop chemistry along both lines.
3) Continue tweaking our defense and in the following years drafts, continue to build the back 7.

Downfall:
1) David Carr is not mentally focused enough to get the job done. If all the sacks has mentally gotten to him, we are in BIG trouble. I dont think it will happen, but it is a huge problem if it does.
2) Our offensive line breaks down like in years past
3) Another Corner gets dinged up (Knock on wood)

The first two downfalls affect the future significantly, while the last will give us the oppurtunity to rebuild our corners with more promising prospects.

Random Question: How much longer do we have AJ under contract?

Good: Kubiak and a new system. And a fresh attitude. D-Line. WR's and TE's.

Bad: If Carr has been too damaged from the years of abuse to turn it around and perform. If the O-Line doesn' improve it's play. Defensive backs. Kicking game. I have some mild concern about the running game... but it's only mild at this point.

Howdy Doody!

:)

( Before you get mad, you had to know someone was going to do it. So I figured I would just get that out of the way )

I think the saving grace will be the improved defense led by an attacking line that is able to pressue the QB and stop the run.

The downfall will be the Offensive line. If they don't improve it won't matter how good the defense is or how much talent the team has at the skill positions.

The good -- Changes did come. Revamped OL, Revamped DL, and Legit Targets for Daivd Carr to throw to. And hopefully NO BLOW OUTS!!!

The bad
-- Reality. Statistically speaking, teams don't miraculously go from 2-14 records to world beaters. Right now, we should be happy to be in games, with a chance to steal a couple here and there. A 11-5 record isn't too likely. I think the big push is to go 8-8, with the 8 losses being far from blow outs, even to the Colts!!!

I have to be getting on down to the Brazos, so I am going to sign off on the pre-season here.

The Saving Grace:
meat added to the defensive line and the prayer that DeMeco plays like I think he will. Mr.Williams will have a curse that he has to live up to... but things look good. I like the odds.

Courtney Brown, Putalski Vs Bruce Smith, Lee Roy Selmon, Ed Jones

( since there is only one Tooz, we can rule that one out )

Troy Calhoun will be able to work his magic. Magic is what I have to call it, because I couldn't find any tapes or interviews about what he was doing in Wake Forest to get Denver and Gruden interested in his services in the first place. Plus I didn't watch enough of the pre-Calhoun Denver to be able to tell what he what he changed in Denver after he showed up. I just trust him because his resume` looks so gotdamn good. < magpies >

We still have Mathis.

We got Moulds... who if things aren't going right will not be a yes man and covering it all up. He's too old for that.

The Downfall

I don't believe in Richard Smith. He will have to prove me wrong. To add to that... at this point I think he is what Leghorn would 'say is as sharp as a bowling ball.'

The guy wants to play aggressive defense. The wisdom that I have learned over the years is this; " If you are going to shake the bottle, you better have a good cap." I don't trust the safeties enough to be able to play that way. I guess I shall see though. Polamalu and Hope were pretty damn good last year and if you don't have something like that in the middle... I just know it has gottobe' tempting to other offenses to bomb the post routes.

Carr and the Loser's Curse
http://www.yaleeconomicreview.org/issues/fall2005/loserscurse.php
http://www.econ.berkeley.edu/~webfac/malmendier/e218_sp06/Thaler.pdf

I am sure this has made the rounds here before, since there is so much crosstalk between us and the 49ers ( which is a curse in itself ), but worth throwing out again... and again... and again.

I have looked at just about everything that I could look at on this mule... interviews, stats, play by play, old games, his scouts... and everything tells me that it ain't gonna kick. Best that I can hope for is another solid mediocre season that inflates his trade value and my team will be rid of this albatross. ( and it's okay if you don't agree happy smiley people from smurfdom... have fun while you are it go daveanddylan slash smurfs or http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/3117/sociosmurf2.htm )

Weigert and Flanagan have two full seasons each. That's 4 out of 20+ between the two of them... I cannot help to think that they are not going to make 16 games and then we are going to be relying on two rookies. Chances are good for one of them to be alright, but both would be something else. I don't like the odds.

The Draw.

Kubiak.

He brought in Calhoun.. this is good. He brought in Smith!... this is not good. With a guy that has a habit of going out into open pastures, collecting a buncha sticks, building stick houses... then catching them on fire to serve as a testament to his skills and abilities towards accomplishing something: You just cannot be too sure about him.

It just forces you to take pause and scratch your head at something like that. Crazy.

Makes me nervous, like Defcon Pardee nervous.

and then on top of that he is nervous. That makes me more nervous. Before long, I start feeling like 21 cats in a thunderstorm nervous.

But that's okay, I think. I hope. Still 16 games left to play and so far we ain't losing yet. That's what's called waxing carpe diem.

TwinSisters said:
Weigert and Flanagan have two full seasons each. That's 4 out of 20+ between the two of them... I cannot help to think that they are not going to make 16 games and then we are going to be relying on two rookies.

You're confusing being injured and not starting. Flanagan has played in all 16 games in 4 seasons and Wiegert in 3 seasons. Together they played in 15 games in another 3 seasons. Yes both tend to miss 1-4 games per season but it isn't quite as bad you make out. Of the past 10 combined seasons they have missed over half the season on just 2 occasions.

TwinSisters said:
I have to be getting on down to the Brazos, so I am going to sign off on the pre-season here.

The Saving Grace:
meat added to the defensive line and the prayer that DeMeco plays like I think he will. Mr.Williams will have a curse that he has to live up to... but things look good. I like the odds.

Courtney Brown, Putalski Vs Bruce Smith, Lee Roy Selmon, Ed Jones

( since there is only one Tooz, we can rule that one out )

Troy Calhoun will be able to work his magic. Magic is what I have to call it, because I couldn't find any tapes or interviews about what he was doing in Wake Forest to get Denver and Gruden interested in his services in the first place. Plus I didn't watch enough of the pre-Calhoun Denver to be able to tell what he what he changed in Denver after he showed up. I just trust him because his resume` looks so gotdamn good. < magpies >

We still have Mathis.

We got Moulds... who if things aren't going right will not be a yes man and covering it all up. He's too old for that.

The Downfall

I don't believe in Richard Smith. He will have to prove me wrong. To add to that... at this point I think he is what Leghorn would 'say is as sharp as a bowling ball.'

The guy wants to play aggressive defense. The wisdom that I have learned over the years is this; " If you are going to shake the bottle, you better have a good cap." I don't trust the safeties enough to be able to play that way. I guess I shall see though. Polamalu and Hope were pretty damn good last year and if you don't have something like that in the middle... I just know it has gottobe' tempting to other offenses to bomb the post routes.

Carr and the Loser's Curse
http://www.yaleeconomicreview.org/issues/fall2005/loserscurse.php
http://www.econ.berkeley.edu/~webfac/malmendier/e218_sp06/Thaler.pdf

I am sure this has made the rounds here before, since there is so much crosstalk between us and the 49ers ( which is a curse in itself ), but worth throwing out again... and again... and again.

I have looked at just about everything that I could look at on this mule... interviews, stats, play by play, old games, his scouts... and everything tells me that it ain't gonna kick. Best that I can hope for is another solid mediocre season that inflates his trade value and my team will be rid of this albatross. ( and it's okay if you don't agree happy smiley people from smurfdom... have fun while you are it go daveanddylan slash smurfs or http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/3117/sociosmurf2.htm )

Weigert and Flanagan have two full seasons each. That's 4 out of 20+ between the two of them... I cannot help to think that they are not going to make 16 games and then we are going to be relying on two rookies. Chances are good for one of them to be alright, but both would be something else. I don't like the odds.

The Draw.

Kubiak.

He brought in Calhoun.. this is good. He brought in Smith!... this is not good. With a guy that has a habit of going out into open pastures, collecting a buncha sticks, building stick houses... then catching them on fire to serve as a testament to his skills and abilities towards accomplishing something: You just cannot be too sure about him.

It just forces you to take pause and scratch your head at something like that. Crazy.

Makes me nervous, like Defcon Pardee nervous.

and then on top of that he is nervous. That makes me more nervous. Before long, I start feeling like 21 cats in a thunderstorm nervous.

But that's okay, I think. I hope. Still 16 games left to play and so far we ain't losing yet. That's what's called waxing carpe diem.

That right there is one of the most intelligent, hilarious posts I've seen in a while. Rather Dennis Miller-esque. I tip my cap to you, sir...

Back