Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

“We’re deadlocked. There’s nowhere to go”

TEXANS84

Staff member
NEW YORK - NFL labor talks broke off Tuesday three days before the start of free agency, leaving teams and players in a quandary about negotiating new contracts.

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFL Players Association, spent the last three days meeting in New York and Washington with commissioner Paul Tagliabue.

“We’re deadlocked. There’s nowhere to go,” Upshaw said. “There’s no reason to continue meeting.”

Although the contract does not expire until after the 2007 season, this is a critical period in the negotiations to extend the 12-year-old contract. Talks have been going on for more than a year.

Free agency is scheduled to start Friday. If the deal is not extended, this would be the last year with a salary cap, so agents and team officials want to know how to structure contracts.

For example, if there is no extension, the salary cap is expected to be about $95 million this season and annual raises after 2006 in a long-term deal would be limited to 30 percent. If the deal is extended the cap could be $10 million or more higher.

The sides have agreed on a number of issues. The biggest one is changing the formula for the amount of money to go to the players from “designated gross revenues” — primarily television and ticket sales — to “total gross revenues,” which include almost every bit a money a a team generates.

However, they differ on the percentage of revenues to be allocated to the players — the union is asking for 60 percent and the league’s current offer is 56.2 percent.

However, there are also disputes among groups of owners on that issue, too. Tagliabue has called a league meeting in New York for Thursday to try to resolve them.

Full article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11586331/

Someone on ESPN the other day said if this thing doesn't get done, that this Thursday could be the bloodiest Thursday in NFL history...

Everyone, from the NFL and owners to the players association and players themselves, needs to pull their heads out of their collective rears. They are going to ruin a good thing if they don't resolve this issue immediately. The longer it goes unresolved, the more likely that this could blow up into something ugly. We don't need another strike!

Double Barrel said:
Everyone, from the NFL and owners to the players association and players themselves, needs to pull their heads out of their collective rears. They are going to ruin a good thing if they don't resolve this issue immediately. The longer it goes unresolved, the more likely that this could blow up into something ugly. We don't need another strike!
You mean lockout, right? :)

MojoX said:
You mean lockout, right? :)

Either/or really. Wasn't it a strike by the players in the '80's? Or was that a lockout? Can't really remember, but either way, it won't be good for the NFL or us fans that have to work for a living. :howdy:

gtexan02 said:
Can someone spell out to me what this means?

By Bloodiest he means that every team will cut many players to make sure they are under the cap. Some teams are still over 10 million over the cap. They have to be at the cap number by March 3rd (Friday).

If this thing isn't done by Friday, then 2007 will be an uncapped year.

I don't know how many of you understand the gravity of that, but that basically means that the genie is out of the bottle. If 2007 goes without a salary cap, then the players (Gene Upshaw) will never ever allow another salary cap.

And if that happens . . . say good-bye to competitive balance in the NFL. It will be a league of 'haves' and 'have nots', just like major league baseball. If the owner of your team is like a 'Dan Snyder' who will gladly buy a Super Bowl if given the chance, you got it made in the shade. You'll be in the playoffs every year. Your team will never have to rebuild, it will just reload.

But if the owner of your team just wants to run the team like a business . . . well . . you figure it out.

So, if you're a fan, just pray something gets done.

Marcus said:

I don't know how many of you understand the gravity of that, but that basically means that the genie is out of the bottle. If 2007 goes without a salary cap, then the players (Gene Upshaw) will never ever allow another salary cap.

And if that happens . . . say good-bye to competitive balance in the NFL. It will be a league of 'haves' and 'have nots', just like major league baseball. If the owner of your team is like a 'Dan Snyder' who will gladly buy a Super Bowl if given the chance, you got it made in the shade. You'll be in the playoffs every year. Your team will never have to rebuild, it will just reload.

But if the owner of your team just wants to run the team like a business . . . well . . you figure it out.

Good Point and good post.

People if there is no CBA then:

No June 1st Cuts
No Cap next year
Problably a lockout in 2008 or a Strike
Maybe never another salary Cap

Ponder that info.:crying:

Marcus said:

The one good thing about that is that the Texans would be one of the "haves". :redtowel:

HJam72 said:
The one good thing about that is that the Texans would be one of the "haves". :redtowel:
and just about every other team in our division would be the have nots, but for the strength of the league overall I'd like to see the cap stay. Jacksonville would likely lose their team if they lose the cap. They would never be able to compete and would lose their fan base.

Carr Bomb said:
Jacksonville would likely lose their team if they lose the cap. They would never be able to compete and would lose their fan base.

And this would be bad how??????? J/K. The cap is the only way to keep the league as interesting as it currently is.

if the cap goes, it'll be horrible for the nfl- i dont care if the texans are well off- i dont want to see a monopoly- i get plenty of that watching soccer and believe me, you get sick of it after a while. there may still be some hope however

FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reports that there has been an emergency owners meeting called for 8:30 a.m. Thursday in New York. And if there are any signs of progress in the talks, there remains a possibility that the league will hold off Friday's scheduled start of free agency for a few days or a week.

But if talks do break down, Friday could see a flurry of high-profile veteran players cut as teams comply with the cap.

Both sides need to get their heads out of their collective ***es before they screw up what has become the most profitable sport on the planet. Owners and players alike are making millions .....and they are complaining over a measly 4% . Makes ya wonder how intelligent some of these people really are.

I know what you mean but that measley 4% is about $350 - $400 million per year under the new tv deal. If I read it all right, players currently get 64% and now under the new tv revenue deal, the league is offering 56% while the players want 60%. Greed on both sides and they are about to ruin a good thing.

Someone said if this thing isn't done by Friday, then 2007 will be an uncapped year. That's not the case.

Friday is another big step toward the uncapped year but it's not the absolute kill shot. They can still get it done after Friday but it's becoming become tougher and tougher.

Tagliabue had set a self imposed deadline of today so that teams could begin the business year on Friday with a new extension to give clubs more wiggle room beneath the salary cap this year.

Without the extension, several teams will have to release players tomorrow to get under the cap which is projected to be about $96 million.

With the extension, the cap could have been as high as $108 million so the agreement, or lack of, by Friday dramatically affects what clubs can or can't do starting tomorrow, i.e., 4 year prorations of signing bonuses vs. 7, no cap benefits for players released after June 1, not likely to be earned incentives all counting in '06, 30% rule ...... all that stuff.

aj. said:
Someone said if this thing isn't done by Friday, then 2007 will be an uncapped year. That's not the case.

Friday is another big step toward the uncapped year but it's not the absolute kill shot. They can still get it done after Friday but it's becoming become tougher and tougher.

Do you share my view that if 2007 goes uncapped, there will never ever be another salary cap?

If the cap goes... the players union would fight to the death to make sure it never comes back.

DNCC said:
If the cap goes... the players union would fight to the death to make sure it never comes back.

....and a lot of teams will never have a chance at the SB again.

DNCC said:
Exactly! If the owners don't learn the lessons of history (baseball) and allow the players to get a taste of no salary cap, the owners will have to do what the NHL did last year in order to even have a chance to get it back.

And I don't think they have the stones for it.

Errr . . . correction . . they will have the stones to call a lockout . . but they won't have them to stick it out until the players finally cave in. The owners will cave first, just like in baseball.

Marcus said:
Do you share my view that if 2007 goes uncapped, there will never ever be another salary cap?

It will be very difficult for the league to re-institute the cap as we know it, once it goes away. Right now the players like the sound of no cap, but they seem to forget that there won't be an infinite pile of money to go around.

The high revenue teams will double their payrolls while the low revenue teams will halve theirs. The majority of teams will settle somewhere in-between. So what's the net gain? In theory at least, all it does is shift balance back to the teams with the most money. Under McNair's ownership we are in good shape if that happens, but who knows what lasting effects it will have on the league.

A few teams will be able to attract the star players and free agents while the others will be trying to compete with lower payrolls. I would guess that about 20% of the players in the league are going to eat up 80% of the salary so I'm not so sure that no structure is best for the majority of the players either.

i dont know about you guys, but i dont wanna buy our super bowl. I dont want it to be the new york yankees of football, where we assemble some super team for a year, get our ring, and then disband. I want to earn it, i want it to be a team of players we drafted, brought up through are system, made a COUPLE of key acquisitions through free agency, and won as a team. I never want to hear
"Peyton Manning to Randy Moss...who laterals to ladanian tomlinson! Texans Touchdown!"
This aint madden...this is the nfl, and i like it the way it is.

If the players wouldnt agree to a cap post 2007 I think that there would be a lock-out in 2008 . We'll be watching replacements again .... Not the best football .... But football none the less .
I really dont like the idea of an un-capped league . And as AJ pointed out about 20% of the players will eat up 80% of the available salary funds .... In that scenario I dont think the majority of the players benifit from an un-capped system.

Doesn't your heart just go out to these guys, I hope they don't have to live in carboard box on the street. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile I go off to work everday to earn what they spend on dry cleaning. If they are looking for sympathy, it is in the dictionary, between sh*! and syphilis. (Feels good to rant)

For their sake they need to get it done before you have a bunch of ticked off fans.

What would be wrong with every one getting the same amount based on playing time. So everyone competes for playing time, the more you see the field, the more you make and it maxes out at say 2 million a year. I know it would never happen, dumb idea, QB deserve more money, etc. But it would just be nice if both sides could meet in the middle and be a little less greedy.

Marcus said:

Good post, Marcus. I agree with you that the balance of competition in the NFL will be a thing of the past, and some teams will have the same problem as MLB with knowing that your team sucks before the season even starts. The dynasties of yester-year had backup players that would start on other teams, and there is no reason to believe that this wouldn't happen again.

And I'd say that if they let the cap fall by the wayside, we might never see it again. These guys are killing the golden goose if they aren't careful.

Thank goodness sports doesn't rule my life. No sport does, except my kids'. It's a nice pastime...but if it comes down to a lockout or strike, I'm done with professional sports. These guys can't relate to me and I can't relate to them. Two totally different worlds when it comes to how much money do you really need.

Texan Asylum said:
Thank goodness sports doesn't rule my life. No sport does, except my kids'. It's a nice pastime...but if it comes down to a lockout or strike, I'm done with professional sports. These guys can't relate to me and I can't relate to them. Two totally different worlds when it comes to how much money do you really need.

Amen! ... Time is ticking, we will all know around 4:PM eastern time today. Let's all hope for the best.:ok:

Well its after 4 eastern and no agreement. Man this is like Enron all over again. The rug has been pulled out and everybody is SELLING. It has only been a couple of hours and some HIGH quality players are falling left and right and its only going to get worse, we haven't even heard the real BIG names yet. I can't believe this is happening. Its only going to get worse when the draft comes around, how can a GM and a AGENT come to agreement on a contract when there is going to be a year comming with no cap, possibly no cap in the foreseeable future, and possibly a strike in 08'. Talk about holdouts, if they don't get this fixed NOW, its only going to get worse

Back