Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

QBs in this draft class.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
My initial thought on Ryan Nassib is that he's quite inconsistent for a 5th year Senior.

It's difficult to see an inconsistent "experienced" guy to be a "franchise" NFL QB, at least not one that can carry a team here and there.

There's potential in the guy though.
Right now I don't like his footwork.
It causes him not to be in a good position to deliver an accurate pass on several occasions.
If he can work and improve on it, his chance of becoming a starter in the NFL can be helped a lot.

Nassib isn't close in term of athletic ability as RG III, Luck, or Wilson.

That goes to the next point: He would need to be a smart and instinctive QB to be able to extend plays.
Unfortunately, he doesn't show enough of that as to make me think he can overcome his lacking in athleticism to be successful at the next level.

If you look for a guy who has some kind of "it", I don't think Nassib is your target.

I've reviewed 7 of his games; it's not enough to be in depth, but I do believe it's fair to say that he doesn't have enough "star" quality, if at all.

As usual, I want to note that when I watch QB play, I consider his O-line, his weapons, his opponents.

When a guy throw an INT, is it really his fault?
Does he have an open receiver that he missed?
When he's sacked, is it his fault, or is it a problem with protection.

Obviously, I'm just one guy watching other guys play, so Take it FWIW.

Wilso and Bray, the Tylers would look good in Steel Blue.

Give us your thoughts on Barkley and Landry Jones?

I am a fan of Nassib. I dont think he will be a Luck or RG3 level starter, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Schaub (maybe not immediately,but in a year or two... which does not exactly help the Texans win now). Honestly though, there are not any QBs on the level of Luck and RG3 this year. Every player has warts. There are some starters, sure, but no true franchise QBs.

I think Landry Jones has some potential. He has great size and a good arm, and has better mobility than given credit for (certainly better than Schaub). He is a long time starter as well. But I dont think he is an IT can. He reminds me of Schaub at times, in that he looks good when you look at box scores, but when you watch the game he underwhelms you. All the tools are there, but his actual play is lacking.

I wont really go into other players, unless asked. I dont think there are any QBs that would help us win in the short term.

I watched some clips on a few guys and I like Dysert the best from what I've seen. Dude has good mobility, stays a live in the pocket, but keeps his eyes down field to make plays. He also has the best arm out of the guys I watched...

Not a fan of Nassib, Landry Jones, Bray, Murray or Glennon...

Not watching Barkley or Geno Smith as they likely won't be on board at any point for us..

But if I had to take a rookie QB this year at this point it'd be Dysert in the 2nd...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmMa5Nv2zoI

I think that's a good video that highlights his strengths and weaknesses...

My initial thought on Ryan Nassib is that he's quite inconsistent for a 5th year Senior.

It's difficult to see an inconsistent "experienced" guy to be a "franchise" NFL QB, at least not one that can carry a team here and there.

There's potential in the guy though.
Right now I don't like his footwork.
It causes him not to be in a good position to deliver an accurate pass on several occasions.
If he can work and improve on it, his chance of becoming a starter in the NFL can be helped a lot.

Nassib isn't close in term of athletic ability as RG III, Luck, or Wilson.
Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most aren’t) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you can’t believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.

That goes to the next point: He would need to be a smart and instinctive QB to be able to extend plays.
Unfortunately, he doesn't show enough of that as to make me think he can overcome his lacking in athleticism to be successful at the next level.

If you look for a guy who has some kind of "it", I don't think Nassib is your target.

I've reviewed 7 of his games; it's not enough to be in depth, but I do believe it's fair to say that he doesn't have enough "star" quality, if at all.

As usual, I want to note that when I watch QB play, I consider his O-line, his weapons, his opponents.

When a guy throw an INT, is it really his fault?
Does he have an open receiver that he missed?
When he's sacked, is it his fault, or is it a problem with protection.

Obviously, I'm just one guy watching other guys play, so Take it FWIW.
Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for, but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most aren’t) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you can’t believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.

I think these comments and evaluations are the reason why Smith was eager to re-sign Schaub. Even Geno and Dysart who I mocked early last off season will need a year or so to develop as starters. Fans can complain all they want about Matt, but I see no option as a replacement that can put you where Schaub has so far.

I watched some clips on a few guys and I like Dysert the best from what I've seen. Dude has good mobility, stays a live in the pocket, but keeps his eyes down field to make plays. He also has the best arm out of the guys I watched...

Not watching Barkley or Geno Smith as they likely won't be on board at any point for us..

But if I had to take a rookie QB this year at this point it'd be Dysert in the 2nd...

I really like Dysert strong arm, accurate. Needs to take care of the ball better and learn better footwork. Level he played at bothers me.

I like Bray better, because he also has a strong arm/best in the draft. Yes he makes some boneheaded throws. This comes from his belief the he can stck a ball in the tightest of spaces. He has terrible mechanics, throwing off his back foot and while still completing most of those the lack of mechanics is the cause of most of his ints. This can be fixed by great QB coaching of Gary. Bray reminds me of Matt Stafford with his size arm strength and his undisciplined throwing motion and footwork.

He's kind of a cocky type of guy, but most QB's that become good/great are that way. Brady/Manning/Brees Cutler/Rodgers/Romo etc... With Garys coaching and Brays god given abilty I think Bray could become great. (Worth a 1st rd pick) If Bray didn't have issues he would be the 1st pick in the draft because he has that kind of ability. IMHO

Think of a young Big Ben

I really like Dysert strong arm, accurate. Needs to take care of the ball better and learn better footwork. Level he played at bothers me.

I like Bray better, because he also has a strong arm/best in the draft. Yes he makes some boneheaded throws. This comes from his belief the he can stck a ball in the tightest of spaces. He has terrible mechanics, throwing off his back foot and while still completing most of those the lack of mechanics is the cause of most of his ints. This can be fixed by great QB coaching of Gary. Bray reminds me of Matt Stafford with his size arm strength and his undisciplined throwing motion and footwork.

He's kind of a cocky type of guy, but most QB's that become good/great are that way. Brady/Manning/Brees Cutler/Rodgers/Romo etc... With Garys coaching and Brays god given abilitI think Bray could become great. (Worth a 1st rd pick) If Bray didn't have issues he would be the 1st pick in the draft because he has that kind of ability. IMHO

in my observation, those guys never grow out of that..they've been doing it all their careers and that's a hard thing for them to get over. From Marino, George, Favre and now Cutler...they almost never stop doing that. If he's got that issue now, he most likely won't be able to shake it when he gets to pros.

Yeah...I'm still gonna stick with Dysert. His OL sucked. He does similar things in college that we do here. Has good pocket awareness when his OL does anything, good mobility and he has a rocket arm. Look at some of those medium and short passes and how he zips those things around...

I haven't looked at QB prospects in years...I like this Dysert guy...

Let me preface this by saying ive only seen Nassib play in 4 games. I agree his footwork is not great and it causes a large portion of his bad throws. I think he is a better athlete than you seem to give him credit for, but yes he nowhere near RG3 (most aren’t) Luck, or Wilson. Athletically I would compare him to Cutler. Everything I have read about him says he is a hardworking kid who is very smart which makes me believe his footwork, and decision making can improve under Kubiak. I in no way believe he can supplant Schaub soon; just that he is the kind of guy that will be able to cash in on his physical ability. Thanks for responding though, you can’t believe everything you read on the web and I appreciate your input.

Oh, I don't discount his athletic ability.
I did say that he has a chance to be a starter in the NFL if he keeps working at it and improve.

I just don't think he has the upside to be a top ten QB.

His ceiling, IMO, is an average NFL QB.
On the other hand, he may never become a starter.

Yeah...I'm still gonna stick with Dysert. His OL sucked. He does similar things in college that we do here. Has good pocket awareness when his OL does anything, good mobility and he has a rocket arm. Look at some of those medium and short passes and how he zips those things around...

I haven't looked at QB prospects in years...I like this Dysert guy...

I like Dysert upside.

I've watched him when scouting Brook last year.

Been watching some more.

He's a gamer alright. He can extend some plays and he throws very well on the run.

He takes too much time in the pocket more than I'd like (sacks).
He got away with scrambling quite a bit due to the level of competition, I don't think he can get away like that at the next level.

He has the footwork , but sometimes doesn't use it to his advantage.
Need to keep those legs chopping in the pocket.

And sometimes he makes silly mistakes.

I still want to watch more of him; he does have good potential.

I wouldn't say that he has a rocket arm, but he has made longer throw than Schaub and does have the zip on the deep out.

Early consensus is 2013 QB class can't touch 2012, no?

Wilso and Bray, the Tylers would look good in Steel Blue.

Give us your thoughts on Barkley and Landry Jones?

I still need to watch more of Wilson, Bray, and Jones.

I like Barkley; I think he has good potential to be an upgrade over Schaub.
He should, unless he follows Leinart's and VY's footstep.

I saw a lot of dropped balls; PIs - some called, some not, both affected his stat lines; receiver not running the route properly.

He does need not to try to do too much at times.
But overall, I see a guy that can be a better than average NFL QB in a couple of years.

What is his injury status anyway?

He's kind of a cocky type of guy, but most QB's that become good/great are that way. Brady/Manning/Brees Cutler/Rodgers/Romo etc... With Garys coaching and Brays god given abilty I think Bray could become great. (Worth a 1st rd pick) If Bray didn't have issues he would be the 1st pick in the draft because he has that kind of ability. IMHO

Think of a young Big Ben
From what i have seen of Bray, he is the most physically gifted Qb in this draft. However, he doesn't have it between the ears. He has played with three guys who are consistently mocked in the first three rounds, but he still never really ran an efficiently explosive offense at the collegiate level. He reminds me less of Stafford and more of JeMarcus Russell or any big armed Qb that never panned out. I wouldn't draft him any higher than the 5th round and even then I wouldn't be too optimistic that he pans out. As for Dysert, his scouting reports are solid and he does seem to have a better arm than Schaub. I'll be paying very close attention to his bowl game, and would love an in depth analysis from rey or 76 if you ever get the time.

Thats my boy right there. I would love to see him in steel blue. I wanted him to come out last year so we could draft him. He's gotten better every year. Love his pocket presence and they way he leads his team.

I am a fan of Nassib. I dont think he will be a Luck or RG3 level starter, but I do think he would be an upgrade over Schaub (maybe not immediately,but in a year or two... which does not exactly help the Texans win now). Honestly though, there are not any QBs on the level of Luck and RG3 this year. Every player has warts. There are some starters, sure, but no true franchise QBs.

I think Landry Jones has some potential. He has great size and a good arm, and has better mobility than given credit for (certainly better than Schaub). He is a long time starter as well. But I dont think he is an IT can. He reminds me of Schaub at times, in that he looks good when you look at box scores, but when you watch the game he underwhelms you. All the tools are there, but his actual play is lacking.

I wont really go into other players, unless asked. I dont think there are any QBs that would help us win in the short term.

No sh!ti to the bolded. Who is in this draft? Yeh no short term answers for sure but there are guys with potential/ability that if coached right could turn into a far better option than anything we have now. Because of the amount of these type guys (just like the WR's) some should fall further than expected. Depending on who falls and where I would love to see us end up with one of these guys.

I still need to watch more of Wilson, Bray, and Jones.

I like Barkley; I think he has good potential to be an upgrade over Schaub.
He should, unless he follows Leinart's and VY's footstep.

I saw a lot of dropped balls; PIs - some called, some not, both affected his stat lines; receiver not running the route properly.

He does need not to try to do too much at times.
But overall, I see a guy that can be a better than average NFL QB in a couple of years.

What is his injury status anyway?

I dont think Barkley will fall to the bottom of the 1st. But if he falls to 15 or so, since the Texans have extra picks they should think about trading up to get him.

Barley is said to be doubtful for his bowl game.But he's a gametime decision.

No sh!ti to the bolded. Who is in this draft? Yeh no short term answers for sure but there are guys with potential/ability that if coached right could turn into a far better option than anything we have now. Because of the amount of these type guys (just like the WR's) some should fall further than expected. Depending on who falls and where I would love to see us end up with one of these guys.

I felt like I had to say it, because I get the feeling that some people think that to be worth a pick they have to be on that level. Those guys are going to be special, and it is going to be hard to EVER get a guy like that. Especially as a well-built team who is unlikely to have a top pick in the foreseeable future.

I just finished watching Mike Glennon in 5 games; I think people will start talking about him soon.

Good size, good arm.
Good mobility for a big man.
Can throw with pretty good accuracy on the run.

Pretty solid footwork and mechanics.

I think he has a good ceiling.
There's a chance that he can be an upgrade over Schaub.

I want to watch him some more.
At the moment I think he's a late second, or at least an early third.

Some already said he might be drafted in the first.

I just finished watching Mike Glennon in 5 games; I think people will start talking about him soon.

Good size, good arm.

I like manuel in 2nd or 3rd rd

I wouldnt take a QB in this class prior to the 4th round .... bunch of career backups.

If Bray grows up and improves his footwork he can be a franchise QB. (Big if) I would trade up and take him at the end of the 1st rd/top of 2nd rd.

Dysert also has potential to be a starter. I dont like Glennon, he's got the ability to be a starter but stares down his receivers too much for me to believe he will be successful in the NFL.

I wouldnt take a QB in this class prior to the 4th round .... bunch of career backups.

From the college games I've watched this year, I can say this is a false statement. Now if u want to say,guys need a yr or 2,I will give you that. Murray,manuel,bray can all be good starters in this league. Bray and manuel have a lot of physical talent.

I like manuel in 2nd or 3rd rd

I watched Florida and N.C. St.

I don't like how EJ doesn't seem to recognize coverage, blitz, and holding on to the ball too long.

I didn't like him as a Jr, but I will watch him some more this year.

At this moment, we're looking for somebody who has the ceiling to replace Schaub.
Even if it might take a couple of years, the guy must demonstrate that upside.

Good size, good arm.

I hope you are watching this bowl game... Glennon is ****ting the bed. Poor footwork and poor accuracy gallore (sp?).

I hope you are watching this bowl game... Glennon is ****ting the bed. Poor footwork and poor accuracy gallore (sp?).

He also looks like he has no mobility ie. Schaub and even the announcers made the comment that he doesn't like to move around.

I think these comments and evaluations are the reason why Smith was eager to re-sign Schaub. Even Geno and Dysart who I mocked early last off season will need a year or so to develop as starters. Fans can complain all they want about Matt, but I see no option as a replacement that can put you where Schaub has so far.

Well I bet I can find a guy who can throw two picks to help cost his team the 1st seed and HFA through the playoffs in less than 3 phone calls.

:fingergun:

Good size, good arm.

Man he reminds me of a young joe flaco. He, Like a lot of the QB's in this class has potential and all the physical abilities you look for in a young QB. But he is going to need some time and good coaching to reach his potential. As are the other all the other top talents in this draft.

Time to bring VY home!

Eww just threw up a little in my mouth. Maybe we should draft a better backup next year. Maybe a local kid like the one from UH or Baylor. has anyone seen the QB #4 zack dysert from Miami oh? I like what I've seen from him so far.

I have been on the Dysert train for awhile.

Glennon is a good prospect to begin as a backup. He's got a very good arm and some ability to sling it. If he's a little slow footed, I'm sure he'll learn very well from Schaub lol...seriously though, Texans need to start building up their QB talent core. Schaub is sailing off the map and TJ Yates is a Sage 2.0...a gunslinger who makes things happen like touchdowns and turnovers. They should start taking chances with QBs until they have a legitimate, contending QB.

This QB class is not very good. Smith and Barkley will probably go early but only because of team's needing QB's. Glennon is a project. He's very raw. He's going to be extremely overrated come draft time because of his size and arm. Bray might have the most talent of all the guys in this draft but he has serious attitude questions. I like Tyler Wilson, but I don't think he'll be anything more than a solid starter.

I think when evaluating these young qbs, we must remember these are not finished products. What we should look for in these players are traits that can't be taught. Good coaching can make up for a lot of things,but the ball of clay that is the talent is natural. I can find flaws in all of these qbs,but I'm looking for the guy who can do some of the things that will have the entire playbook open in a couple of years. How many guys are big enough,mobile enough,and the arm talent and iq to do everything kubiak would like to do. I really feel from a physical standpoint, if kubes were coaching carr earlier in his career,he would've been a lot better even though I was never a david carr guy. How many guys fit the aaron rodgers profile as a qb? Not the aaron rodgers we see now,but the guy coming in who had a nfl with good mobility. In this microwave era, many want aaron rodger the mvp and best qb in the league,but in reality after his 2nd yr in the league,a lot of people thought he wasn't gonna be any good.is there a guy with his out of college skillset who will be availible for the texans?

Well I bet I can find a guy who can throw two picks to help cost his team the 1st seed and HFA through the playoffs in less than 3 phone calls.

:fingergun:
yeah you can find someone to match his negatives but that is not what we want. Try finding someone that can match his positives and that we can get. Keep in mind that I have tried to replace Matt for two years.

EJ Manuel in the 3rd or 4th ... Why ... He has talent and is a 4 year guy who was a team leader .

I keeping wanting to like EJ Manuel more than I do. Nice physical specimen, throws a nice ball, moves well enough, does not seem like a mental midget, but something is just missing.

Out of all the qb's I've seen, I'm liking dysert the most. Not really close for me.

Dudes arm is top notch, good mobility, strong enough to shake off tacklers in the pocket...and then he just seems to have that innate ability that great qb's have of staying alive long enough to find a receiver that's open.

And I watched a bunch of other qb's (not all) and he by far had the strongest arm. No big wind up, he has a nice compact delivery where he almost flicks the ball and puts it way down field to a streaking receiver or he slices it in in shorter areas to receivers.

I'm a fan of his and regardless who takes him I'll be following and rooting for him. I like how he plays the qb position a lot.

Out of all the qb's I've seen, I'm liking dysert the most. Not really close for me.

Dudes arm is top notch, good mobility, strong enough to shake off tacklers in the pocket...and then he just seems to have that innate ability that great qb's have of staying alive long enough to find a receiver that's open.

And I watched a bunch of other qb's (not all) and he by far had the strongest arm. No big wind up, he has a nice compact delivery where he almost flicks the ball and puts it way down field to a streaking receiver or he slices it in in shorter areas to receivers.

I'm a fan of his and regardless who takes him I'll be following and rooting for him. I like how he plays the qb position a lot.

I like the guy I watched tonight, manuel. Good mechanics,holds the ball tight with 2 hands,great mobility,very good arm. As lance z and I were tweeting back and forth, a pro style offense and good coaching would be golden for him.

I think when evaluating these young qbs, we must remember these are not finished products. What we should look for in these players are traits that can't be taught. Good coaching can make up for a lot of things,but the ball of clay that is the talent is natural. I can find flaws in all of these qbs,but I'm looking for the guy who can do some of the things that will have the entire playbook open in a couple of years. How many guys are big enough,mobile enough,and the arm talent and iq to do everything kubiak would like to do. I really feel from a physical standpoint, if kubes were coaching carr earlier in his career,he would've been a lot better even though I was never a david carr guy. How many guys fit the aaron rodgers profile as a qb? Not the aaron rodgers we see now,but the guy coming in who had a nfl with good mobility. In this microwave era, many want aaron rodger the mvp and best qb in the league,but in reality after his 2nd yr in the league,a lot of people thought he wasn't gonna be any good.is there a guy with his out of college skillset who will be availible for the texans?

His little brother is in this draft. Not quite the same prospect though.

Bringing this thread back to the top, what do you guys think of Matt Scott-QB from Arizona? Is anyone familiar with him, or has paid attention to him that can give an opinion? I've read Walterfootball and CBS/NFLDraftScout and both seem to have a very favorable opinion of him and he had a pretty productive senior season in 2012.

This is a thread that I was looking for!!!

If we had QB with legs and a decent arm strength and accuracy, we will be more tougher and better O team IMO.

A big question, is there QB prospect worthy of going all out in 2013 draft class? If not, I am intrigued by Redskins' Cousins. What do you guys think?
Also, like for us to take a good like at our own TJ and Case as well next year.

This is a thread that I was looking for!!!

If we had QB with legs and a decent arm strength and accuracy, we will be more tougher and better O team IMO.

A big question, is there QB prospect worthy of going all out in 2013 draft class? If not, I am intrigued by Redskins' Cousins. What do you guys think?
Also, like for us to take a good like at our own TJ and Case as well next year.

I liked what i saw from Cousins as well BUT i think we need to either go BIG in the draft or work with one of young guys yates or Case. Not to fond of bringing in another teams back up to be our starter again.

I liked what i saw from Cousins as well BUT i think we need to either go BIG in the draft or work with one of young guys yates or Case. Not to fond of bringing in another teams back up to be our starter again.

I know what you mean but Cousins is not like Matt. He is a rook just like RG3 is. Cousins showed a flash of what he is capable of in a little shanny scheme which is almost the same scheme as ours and this is why I am intrigued by Cousins talent.

Early consensus is 2013 QB class can't touch 2012, no?

I don't really like this sort of thinking. When it comes to QB, if you are looking for a franchise QB, it doesn't matter how the class is, just that the one single guy you're willing to bet on has what you want. Last year's class may have produced 3 franchise QBs, Luck, RG3 and Wilson. It's unlikely IMO that Tannehill, Weedon or Cousins turn into franchise QBs, and I'm concerned about how long RG3 will be in the NFL given his injuries.

I think if you stack up this class against 2012, you only have Luck and RG3 ahead of most of these guys. Barkley, Geno, Bray, Nassib and Wilson should all be graded ahead of what Tannehill and Weeden were coming out, and I think each has much better pro potential. I personally like Tyler Wilson the most, but I could go for Barkley too.

Back