Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mathis Competing for #2??

tacoman_j

Waterboy
I've heard good things about the speedster out of Hampton, but isn't it a stretch to say that this cat can compete for position opposite AJ. I see him only as a special teams player in the mold of Moses. By the way, isn't he around the same size as Moses?? I just do not see him helping out our passing game next year. I hope I'm wrong about that sentiment.

If he does become our #2 reciever, I guess that would be a steal. Too raw and too small to ever contribute to our offense.

He will probably be the WR2 starter by 2006. He is a much better prospect than Starling.

He is 5'11" btw

F-minus67 said:
Mathis is 5 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier.

not to mention about .4 seconds faster running the 40.

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

both are really shifty too, so I would have to say that Mathis is our KR and PB is our PR

Moses and Reggie Swinton will be the two guys mainly competing for KR and PR duties, and if Mathis is placed as like a 4th or 5th WR on the Depth Charts, then he might be looked at as a KR

from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.

My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...

i understand he is a good returner, but im the kind of person that doesnt like seeing staters on KR and PR, especially if they are an important part of the offense like i HOPE mathis will be this year... so the only way that i personally would like him as a KR is if he wasnt a top three receiver

D-ReK said:
My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...
i think thats what he may anticipate, but who knows, thast what DD was gonna be used as when he came in, a possible returner and situational back, and now is our starter, so mathis could emerge in camp quicker then expected

I got this from rjf's post over on houstonprofootball.com about Casserly on 610 this morning talking about Mathis:

Was talking about Mathis, and his speed. Granato asked Charley about him being the fastest player at the combine other than the 2 corners(raiders took both). Charley said that Mathis was the fastest overall period. I guess he had his little black book with him(lol), because he took it out, and was naming off the 40 times. (This is their own hand times). Of the 2 raider cb's, Washington had something like a 4.27, 4.30, 4.28, and a 4.31, and Routt had like a 4.27, 4.29, 4.31, and a 4.28. These might not be exact, but I remember Routt having 1 of his 4 40 times above 4.3, and Washington had 2 above, with 4.27 the lowest mark for either. So it's close to exact.

Now for Mathis. They had his times at 4.26, 4.26, 4.27, and 4.28(or 9). Now that's freaking fast. 4 40's, and not a one over 4.3.

Wow, world class speed and playmaking ability in a fourth round selection. Hopefully we can groom him and he can open some things up for AJ.

ok any guy who can run a 4.28 has my vote for the number 2 spot. i dont care how tall he is, size dont matter when you can burn past the secondary.

WOW! You all should check this article out from the U.S. Olympic Team's website.

The NFL treats 40-yard dash times as sacred

The entire article is a very interesting read about how teams view the importance of 40 times and the extreme effect that those times can have on draft day value. But my eyes popped out when they mentioned Jerome Mathis.

Other prospects run their 40s at the annual NFL Scouting Combine in February inside Indianapolis' RCA Dome, where this year Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones went 4.37. Jones is 6 feet 6, 242 pounds.

It's also where Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from tiny Hampton College in Virginia, sent his stock soaring with a reported 4.32. Some scouts apparently caught him sub-4.30. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcels told people his stopwatch showed 4.25.

Never mind that Mathis was running on the RCA Dome's notoriously slow artificial turf, or that he was running alone without the aid of fellow competitors pushing him. Or that his left hamstring was wrapped because of a slight muscle strain.

:thud: Are you fricken kiddin me? This kid runs a 4.25 on Parcell's stopwatch with a pulled muscle? :shocked

Well, Charley Casserly said on 610 today that he's going to create some thrills for the crowd this coming preseason. I believe it.

Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!

What I like in that video is that he seems to be at full speed within a couple strides. His acceleration is amazing.

texan279 said:
from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.
if you go further down in the threads, you will see the story about the broken jaw straight from him that he told me. he'll have the wire off next week.

The more I look into Jerome Mathis, the better I'm liking this selection. I'm tending to agree with his assessment that there are going to be a lot of teams wishing they had not let him slip.

Just read a list of his positives : fierce competitor ; leader ; hard worker ; very good at tracking the ball in over his shoulder ; ability to come back quickly for under-thrown balls ; displays crisp stop-and-go action ; adept at executing double moves ; very effective running deep routes, posts and verticals ; shows aggression, leaping ability and timing in going for the ball ; and finally - does not drop many balls.

His negatives? Needs to run crisper short routes ; needs to work on concentration ; has dropped a few easy passes, looking to run before securing the ball ; will body catch. That's about it. And although he has a tendency toward body catching, he doesn't drop many. His most serious negative seems to be nothing more than his previous level of competition.

And what exactly is so bad about "body catching"? His style of body catching has been described as "double-catching" where the ball is "absorbed into his body". Now I could be wrong, but I interpret this as meaning he first gets his hands on the ball away from his body and rides it in to cradle against his body. This is entirely different from someone who actually tries to catch the ball directly against his body; and I'm not so certain this is a bad thing. The scouting report says he doesn't drop many balls! It also seems to me that this could possibly be a better way to secure the ball in anticipation of taking a hit.

I hate to get my hopes up too much, but we just might have another Jerry Rice.

Andre_Johnson88 said:
Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!
Where? Could you provide a link?

WOW.....is it just me or did that assessment of Jerome Mathis by Number 19 sound like another receiver coming out of a school named Miami a few years ago......definately sounds like AJ (except brute strength) with his weakness being his easy dropped passes and stuff... IM LOVING IT THOUGH

Number19 said:
I hate to get my hopes up too much, but we just might have another Jerry Rice.

LOL, i can gurantee u he won't be Jerry Rice. I hope he becomes Steve Smith, if not hopefully as good as Santana Moss.

not such a jerry rice, rice isnt 5'11" and never ran a 4.28 40... so lets not start that comaprison... rice is the greatest receiver ever, lets not get ahead of ourselves and say he is the next jerry rice... rather he is the first Jerome Mathis, and hopefully he can help contribute to the great legacy of Andre Johnson, and create one for himself as well

Andre_Johnson88 said:
WOW.....is it just me or did that assessment of Jerome Mathis by Number 19 sound like another receiver coming out of a school named Miami a few years ago......definately sounds like AJ (except brute strength) with his weakness being his easy dropped passes and stuff... IM LOVING IT THOUGH
This assessment comes from one of the best sites I've found (the same one used by NFL.com and Gil Brandt) - NFL Draft Scout ( a pay site) :

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/index.php

Trapped said:

LOL, i can gurantee u he won't be Jerry Rice. I hope he becomes Steve Smith, if not hopefully as good as Santana Moss.
My comparison to Rice was not to predict his career would match Rice's; but rather the fact of a quality WR dropping in the draft

If all goes well, we need to go and make...
andre #1 receiver...DUH...bench corey bradford because
he needs superglue on his hands to catch the dang ball...
#2 receiver jabar Gaffney
#3 Armstrong and mathis can compete for the last position...
i don't understand why we signed corey bradford :hmmm:

Go Houston Texans...
ready for the start of the season and also FANTASY FOOTBALL!!

cause that was the biggest knock against him when he came here. He has actually been fairly consistent for us.. his biggest problem isnt that he cant catch the ball.. its that he cant freakin get open.

And we signed him as insurance.. there was no garaunteeing that a WR we liked would fall to us.

Texanshot said:
If all goes well, we need to go and make...
andre #1 receiver...DUH...bench corey bradford because
he needs superglue on his hands to catch the dang ball...
#2 receiver jabar Gaffney
#3 Armstrong and mathis can compete for the last position...
i don't understand why we signed corey bradford :hmmm:

Go Houston Texans...
ready for the start of the season and also FANTASY FOOTBALL!!
AJ is the 1, i really do think Mathis is the 2, and Armstrong will be the slot and Gaff is the 4th option... gaff and armstrong are the same player, and both better suited to play the slot, and not the 2 spot, which leaves it to bradford or matthis, and i got faith the rookie beats out the vet in this one

hate to burst all these bubbles, but Mathis will be a Dante Hall type player that is somewhat better receiver. Nowhere close to Rice. I like Jerome as much as the next guy, and hes going to be fun to watch, but dont even start with comparisons to GREAT players

You know those 5 reverses we seem to run that never work every game? expect Mathis to take over that duty.

Anyone know of a place where I can actually DOWNLOAD a Mathis highlight video? the quality of that streaming video on yahoo sucks.

Id accept a Dante Hall in the 4th round. I am all for letting him see alot of time in preseason and some solid minutes in the season just to help him develop even more. Letting him go for KR can only be a positive for us

If he turns into a Dante Hall, but a little better.. I will consider it one of our best draft picks ever. Dante Hall rocks :)

Grid said:
If he turns into a Dante Hall, but a little better.. I will consider it one of our best draft picks ever. Dante Hall rocks :)

Did you know he played alot of RB in college? Had around a 6 yard per carry average too.

so, what NFL player would Mathis remind you of? a faster Ernest givens?
for example?

I haven't seen Mathis play or know much about him

MMMMmm, he catches the ball into his body. I figure 2 maybe three lasers from David and he will quit that. Hope he hasen't broken a rib by then.

He is mini-moss :).

Same kinda speed.. but not quite as tall or with as much of a vertical leap. As a #2.. I think he could really shine.

Assuming of course that he gets his hands and route running straight.

Wolf said:
so, what NFL player would Mathis remind you of? a faster Ernest givens?
for example?

I haven't seen Mathis play or know much about him
I watched him in the Gridiron Classic game before the combine, and my first impressions of him was a better, faster version of Dante Hall. He can do all of the little reverses and WR screens like Hall, but Mathis can also be a legitimate receiver.

I'm not sure if I would put him in as the #2 or put him in the slot. With his speed and moves, he can take any short pass the distance, but he can also fly and burn the DB's deep. It would be interesting to see him just take off and have Carr throw the ball as far as he can and just watch Mathis run under it.

I am excited :woot ...I can't wait for pre-sesaon.

Just found some interesting stats on Mathis:

—Fourth-round selection Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from Division I-AA Hampton, had the fastest time at the NFL scouting combine at 4.26 seconds in the 40 yard dash.

Other impressive college statistics by Mathis:

* He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions during his three-year career.

* His 26.4 yards per catch average broke the Mid Eastern Athletic Conference and NCAA all-time record of 24.3 yards by John Taylor of Delaware State (1982-85).

* Finished with 32 plays of at least 40 yards.

* He caught a pass in a school-record 34 consecutive games.

* Set an I-AA record as a senior with five kickoff returns for touchdowns, including three of at least 90 yards.

LINK

TEXANS84 said:
Just found some interesting stats on Mathis:

LINK
I believe I already made a comparison with him to John Taylor on a thread somewhere on here. Seriously, the more I hear about him the more I think this kid is going to do some things on this team.

El Tejano said:
Seriously, the more I hear about him the more I think this kid is going to do some things on this team.

This is what got my attention the most:

* He averaged a touchdown every 4.4 receptions during his three-year career.

:thumbup

Back