Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-25-2005   #21
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

he will make the team, and possibly compete for the #2 spot, i hope he gets it. Or atleast plays some this season.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #22
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
Pat Kirwan's Analysis
A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.
if you go further down in the threads, you will see the story about the broken jaw straight from him that he told me. he'll have the wire off next week.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #23
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.
He sure tried to, though...
D-ReK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #24
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

The more I look into Jerome Mathis, the better I'm liking this selection. I'm tending to agree with his assessment that there are going to be a lot of teams wishing they had not let him slip.

Just read a list of his positives : fierce competitor ; leader ; hard worker ; very good at tracking the ball in over his shoulder ; ability to come back quickly for under-thrown balls ; displays crisp stop-and-go action ; adept at executing double moves ; very effective running deep routes, posts and verticals ; shows aggression, leaping ability and timing in going for the ball ; and finally - does not drop many balls.

His negatives? Needs to run crisper short routes ; needs to work on concentration ; has dropped a few easy passes, looking to run before securing the ball ; will body catch. That's about it. And although he has a tendency toward body catching, he doesn't drop many. His most serious negative seems to be nothing more than his previous level of competition.

And what exactly is so bad about "body catching"? His style of body catching has been described as "double-catching" where the ball is "absorbed into his body". Now I could be wrong, but I interpret this as meaning he first gets his hands on the ball away from his body and rides it in to cradle against his body. This is entirely different from someone who actually tries to catch the ball directly against his body; and I'm not so certain this is a bad thing. The scouting report says he doesn't drop many balls! It also seems to me that this could possibly be a better way to secure the ball in anticipation of taking a hit.

I hate to get my hopes up too much, but we just might have another Jerry Rice.
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #25
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19

lol yeah thatd be a nice gift to get from a 4th rounder.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #26
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 31527 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson88
Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!
Where? Could you provide a link?
Old 04-25-2005   #27
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88

WOW.....is it just me or did that assessment of Jerome Mathis by Number 19 sound like another receiver coming out of a school named Miami a few years ago......definately sounds like AJ (except brute strength) with his weakness being his easy dropped passes and stuff... IM LOVING IT THOUGH
Old 04-25-2005   #28
Trapped
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19

LOL, i can gurantee u he won't be Jerry Rice. I hope he becomes Steve Smith, if not hopefully as good as Santana Moss.
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #29
Andre_Johnson88
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via MSN to Andre_Johnson88 Send a message via Yahoo to Andre_Johnson88

Number 19 and everyone else....here's your link to the amazing Jerome Mathis.....http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=4&dl=nfl
Old 04-25-2005   #30
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

they have his 40 time at 4.45? didnt he run a 2.8?
Old 04-25-2005   #31
THEFUTURE
All Pro

not such a jerry rice, rice isnt 5'11" and never ran a 4.28 40... so lets not start that comaprison... rice is the greatest receiver ever, lets not get ahead of ourselves and say he is the next jerry rice... rather he is the first Jerome Mathis, and hopefully he can help contribute to the great legacy of Andre Johnson, and create one for himself as well
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #32
TopTexanFan16
Veteran

ah i mean 4.28 haha sry but yea anyways they have his time listed as 4.45 then in the article it says 4.31? he did run a 4.28 right?
Old 04-25-2005   #33
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre_Johnson88
WOW.....is it just me or did that assessment of Jerome Mathis by Number 19 sound like another receiver coming out of a school named Miami a few years ago......definately sounds like AJ (except brute strength) with his weakness being his easy dropped passes and stuff... IM LOVING IT THOUGH
This assessment comes from one of the best sites I've found (the same one used by NFL.com and Gil Brandt) - NFL Draft Scout ( a pay site) :

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/index.php
Old 04-25-2005   #34
Number19
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped

LOL, i can gurantee u he won't be Jerry Rice. I hope he becomes Steve Smith, if not hopefully as good as Santana Moss.
My comparison to Rice was not to predict his career would match Rice's; but rather the fact of a quality WR dropping in the draft
Old 04-25-2005   #35
Texanshot
Rookie

Default if all goes well........

If all goes well, we need to go and make...
andre #1 receiver...DUH...bench corey bradford because
he needs superglue on his hands to catch the dang ball...
#2 receiver jabar Gaffney
#3 Armstrong and mathis can compete for the last position...
i don't understand why we signed corey bradford

Go Houston Texans...
ready for the start of the season and also FANTASY FOOTBALL!!
Old 04-25-2005   #36
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
bench corey bradford because
Why do so many people say Bradford has a problem catching the ball?
Old 04-25-2005   #37
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

cause that was the biggest knock against him when he came here. He has actually been fairly consistent for us.. his biggest problem isnt that he cant catch the ball.. its that he cant freakin get open.

And we signed him as insurance.. there was no garaunteeing that a WR we liked would fall to us.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #38
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanshot
If all goes well, we need to go and make...
andre #1 receiver...DUH...bench corey bradford because
#2 receiver jabar Gaffney
#3 Armstrong and mathis can compete for the last position...
i don't understand why we signed corey bradford

Go Houston Texans...
ready for the start of the season and also FANTASY FOOTBALL!!
AJ is the 1, i really do think Mathis is the 2, and Armstrong will be the slot and Gaff is the 4th option... gaff and armstrong are the same player, and both better suited to play the slot, and not the 2 spot, which leaves it to bradford or matthis, and i got faith the rookie beats out the vet in this one
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #39
texansfan88
All Pro

hate to burst all these bubbles, but Mathis will be a Dante Hall type player that is somewhat better receiver. Nowhere close to Rice. I like Jerome as much as the next guy, and hes going to be fun to watch, but dont even start with comparisons to GREAT players

You know those 5 reverses we seem to run that never work every game? expect Mathis to take over that duty.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005   #40
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone know of a place where I can actually DOWNLOAD a Mathis highlight video? the quality of that streaming video on yahoo sucks.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read