Mathis Competing for #2??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tacoman_j, Apr 25, 2005.

1. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

I've heard good things about the speedster out of Hampton, but isn't it a stretch to say that this cat can compete for position opposite AJ. I see him only as a special teams player in the mold of Moses. By the way, isn't he around the same size as Moses?? I just do not see him helping out our passing game next year. I hope I'm wrong about that sentiment.

2. tacoman_j

tacoman_j Veteran

If he does become our #2 reciever, I guess that would be a steal. Too raw and too small to ever contribute to our offense.

3. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He will probably be the WR2 starter by 2006. He is a much better prospect than Starling.

He is 5'11" btw

4. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Mathis is 5 inches taller and 13 pounds heavier.

5. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

not to mention about .4 seconds faster running the 40.

Moses runs around a 4.6

Mathis runs a 4.26-4.28

both are really shifty too, so I would have to say that Mathis is our KR and PB is our PR

6. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

Moses and Reggie Swinton will be the two guys mainly competing for KR and PR duties, and if Mathis is placed as like a 4th or 5th WR on the Depth Charts, then he might be looked at as a KR

7. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

from nfl.com...

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
    4 114 Jerome Mathis WR Hampton
    Pat Kirwan's Analysis
    A speed guy who gained notoriety late in the year. This will give Houston the same effect of Lee Evans in Buffalo -- an absolute burner. He will open the underneath stuff up for Andre Johnson. This is a vertical push threat, which is important.
    Brandt's notes: An excellent kick returner -- returned two in a bowl game. Word is he recently broke his jaw, but you don't catch the ball with your jaw.

8. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

My interpretation of Casserly's comments he's made about Mathis is that he'll be used mainly as a KR this year and hopefully make an impact as a receiver in 2006, but I could be dead wrong...

9. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

i understand he is a good returner, but im the kind of person that doesnt like seeing staters on KR and PR, especially if they are an important part of the offense like i HOPE mathis will be this year... so the only way that i personally would like him as a KR is if he wasnt a top three receiver

10. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

i think thats what he may anticipate, but who knows, thast what DD was gonna be used as when he came in, a possible returner and situational back, and now is our starter, so mathis could emerge in camp quicker then expected

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I got this from rjf's post over on houstonprofootball.com about Casserly on 610 this morning talking about Mathis:

12. THEFUTURE

THEFUTURE All Pro

any highlights of this kid, i wanna see him move, that speed is amazing

13. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

14. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Man if this kid is good at reverses, Palmer is going to call that like 65% of the time.

15. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

Wow, world class speed and playmaking ability in a fourth round selection. Hopefully we can groom him and he can open some things up for AJ.

16. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

wow, those videos of Mathis returns are extremely impressive. Amazing break-away speed.

17. TexansTrueFan

TexansTrueFan Hall of Fame

ok any guy who can run a 4.28 has my vote for the number 2 spot. i dont care how tall he is, size dont matter when you can burn past the secondary.

18. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

WOW! You all should check this article out from the U.S. Olympic Team's website.

The NFL treats 40-yard dash times as sacred

The entire article is a very interesting read about how teams view the importance of 40 times and the extreme effect that those times can have on draft day value. But my eyes popped out when they mentioned Jerome Mathis.

Other prospects run their 40s at the annual NFL Scouting Combine in February inside Indianapolis' RCA Dome, where this year Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones went 4.37. Jones is 6 feet 6, 242 pounds.

It's also where Jerome Mathis, a wide receiver from tiny Hampton College in Virginia, sent his stock soaring with a reported 4.32. Some scouts apparently caught him sub-4.30. Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcels told people his stopwatch showed 4.25.

Never mind that Mathis was running on the RCA Dome's notoriously slow artificial turf, or that he was running alone without the aid of fellow competitors pushing him. Or that his left hamstring was wrapped because of a slight muscle strain.

:thud: Are you fricken kiddin me? This kid runs a 4.25 on Parcell's stopwatch with a pulled muscle? :shocked

Well, Charley Casserly said on 610 today that he's going to create some thrills for the crowd this coming preseason. I believe it.

19. Andre_Johnson88

Andre_Johnson88 Rookie

Wow yall need to check out Jerome's highlight videos.......they are AMAZING! He makes all his running look so easy!Ok im serious here.....Mathis DEFINATELY needs to be utilized a lot on this team even in the first year because he would be a force with many possibilities!

20. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

What I like in that video is that he seems to be at full speed within a couple strides. His acceleration is amazing.