Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-07-2011   #1
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Stat comparison: JJ and DA...a definitive analysis???

I'm posting a side-by-side jpeg image that shows career stats for both guys. Stats are for losers, yeah yeah yeah, but still...stats can tell a story in some instances, especially in terms of individual stats.

Old 08-07-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stat comparison: JJ and DA...a definitive analysis???

Look at the 20+ column.

17 career receptions by JJ that were between 20 and 40 yards in length vs. only 8 by DA in the same length of reception. And that's with JJ having one less season than DA here (JJ has four seasons vs. DA's five).

That's DA with over half as many 20+ receptions as JJ.

-----------------------------

Look at the 40+ column.

JJ has 5 career 40+ receptions compared to DA's 1 40+ reception.

-----------------------------

Analysis 1: JJ is stretching the field BIG TIME. The stat comparison for that category is brutally in favor of JJ as giving your team "more" bang for the bucks.

Analysis 2: Look at FIRST DOWNS. JJ has 61 career first downs vs. DA's 50.

Conclusion:

Jacoby has such HUGE production when he DOES catch the ball, that his failures are magnified because we all want to see him become consistent like Andre Johnson. It's a greed thang. We all know he's a freak on the field, but we slap our foreheads when he doesn't come through on something.

For that, he gets labeled as being "coddled" or not being worth the hassle.

No other player on this team do you, nor Kubiak or any other Texans employee in the operations side, want to see go somewhere else and finally "get it" than Jacoby Jones.

That would be, IMO, one of the worst cuts in team history. It would be absurdly awful. I think he has this year and maybe 1 or 2 more in him, and after that (according to what he does THIS year) it's up to Texans brass to decide if he's still growing or he has peaked and is just a flash every now and then.

In addition, if JJ blows up huge this year...he and his agent might make the decision FOR the Texans if they press for a new deal for big big bucks. I don't think we'd do it, frankly, because of the talent that Kubiak has been able to acquire in draft and UDFA route each year.

Call me crazy, but Tolliver and Jean seem to be pressing HARD like no other guy has before (for where they came from and what's ahead of them on the roster). JJ could become very expendable if Kubiak is smart enough to develop Tolliver and Jean. Even Townsel (sp?) seems like he's got potential.

I don't see how Kubiak can even contemplate trying to sneak Tolliver and/or Jean onto the Practice Squad. To me, unless they have an atrocious preseason, those two guys become a part of the roster. Not sure how that affects roster limits and/or depth chart in other positions, though.
Old 08-07-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

would rep you if i could. good post and break down. I agree J.J is a play maker and to cut him would of been one of the dumbest move our FO has ever made, good thing they didnt.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011   #4
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Jacoby has such HUGE production when he DOES catch the ball, that his failures are magnified because we all want to see him become consistent like Andre Johnson. It's a greed thang. We all know he's a freak on the field, but we slap our foreheads when he doesn't come through on something.
This^^^^

The biggest thing about JJ and these stats don't show is how many passes has he dropped?? Maybe more telling would be a thrown to/reception stat??

I'm in the camp that thinks that he CAN be good, as GP said, if he became consistent.
Old 08-07-2011   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 288146 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Good stuff, I agree. Must spread rep.
Old 08-07-2011   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

These stats do show that Jones is better but he just needs to do it on a daily basis.
Old 08-07-2011   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Was there anyone who thought DA would been the more logical one to keep than JJ?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2011   #8
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 102181 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Was there anyone who thought DA would been the more logical one to keep than JJ?
yeah one guy
Old 08-07-2011   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
yeah one guy
I wonder who that was.
Old 08-07-2011   #10
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I wonder who that was.
you
Old 08-07-2011   #11
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
you
And I stand by that. Mostly because there were more consistent receivers out there who were free agents but not anymore.
Old 08-07-2011   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wonder who that was.
David Anderson?
Old 08-07-2011   #13
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
And I stand by that. Mostly because there were more consistent receivers out there who were free agents but not anymore.
thats cool. i liked D.A but J.J shows flashes of being better than average, and D.A was average. J.J is fast, versatile, has some ups. ALL he needs to do is work on his hands, that can be fixed, lack of speed and explosiveness cant be fixed so easily.
Old 08-07-2011   #14
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
thats cool. i liked D.A but J.J shows flashes of being better than average, and D.A was average. J.J is fast, versatile, has some ups. ALL he needs to do is work on his hands, that can be fixed, lack of speed and explosiveness cant be fixed so easily.
I'll take it and root for him to do well. I always cheer for a Texan anyway.
Old 08-07-2011   #15
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 214275 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I understand dumping them both to snag a F/A WR but I'm not sure we could have afforded one of those primo (or near-primo) WRs with the little bit of salary cap space dumping those two guys would have provided.

oh well, we'll never know now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011   #16
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
would rep you if i could. good post and break down. I agree J.J is a play maker and to cut him would of been one of the dumbest move our FO has ever made, good thing they didnt.
I can think of a few others that would have topped this if this happened...
Old 08-07-2011   #17
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
I can think of a few others that would have topped this if this happened...
such as ???
Old 08-07-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I understand dumping them both to snag a F/A WR but I'm not sure we could have afforded one of those primo (or near-primo) WRs with the little bit of salary cap space dumping those two guys would have provided.

oh well, we'll never know now.
Just to be clear I was not advocating dumping JJ and giving his job to Anderson but just signing a different free agent. But it's over now and Jones is still here and he has my full pledged support.
Old 08-07-2011   #19
vupac1
Veteran

Rep Power: 288 vupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respected

We already have our quota of very consistent yet unspectacular WR with Kevin Walter.

Although I would have preferred to let Dorin Dickerson take Jacoby's role of potentially superstar wild-card, I don't entirely mind keeping Jacoby and stay waiting for that breakout year he's supposedly been on the verge of for so long
vupac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011   #20
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 182552 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

They played different roles . DA = Wes Welker and JJ = Alvin Harper . One's job is get the 3rd and 5 the other is to be a big play threat .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read