Stat comparison: JJ and DA...a definitive analysis???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Aug 7, 2011.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

I'm posting a side-by-side jpeg image that shows career stats for both guys. Stats are for losers, yeah yeah yeah, but still...stats can tell a story in some instances, especially in terms of individual stats.

[​IMG]

2. GP

GP Go Texans!

Look at the 20+ column.

17 career receptions by JJ that were between 20 and 40 yards in length vs. only 8 by DA in the same length of reception. And that's with JJ having one less season than DA here (JJ has four seasons vs. DA's five).

That's DA with over half as many 20+ receptions as JJ.

-----------------------------

Look at the 40+ column.

JJ has 5 career 40+ receptions compared to DA's 1 40+ reception.

-----------------------------

Analysis 1: JJ is stretching the field BIG TIME. The stat comparison for that category is brutally in favor of JJ as giving your team "more" bang for the bucks.

Analysis 2: Look at FIRST DOWNS. JJ has 61 career first downs vs. DA's 50.

Conclusion:

Jacoby has such HUGE production when he DOES catch the ball, that his failures are magnified because we all want to see him become consistent like Andre Johnson. It's a greed thang. We all know he's a freak on the field, but we slap our foreheads when he doesn't come through on something.

For that, he gets labeled as being "coddled" or not being worth the hassle.

No other player on this team do you, nor Kubiak or any other Texans employee in the operations side, want to see go somewhere else and finally "get it" than Jacoby Jones.

That would be, IMO, one of the worst cuts in team history. It would be absurdly awful. I think he has this year and maybe 1 or 2 more in him, and after that (according to what he does THIS year) it's up to Texans brass to decide if he's still growing or he has peaked and is just a flash every now and then.

In addition, if JJ blows up huge this year...he and his agent might make the decision FOR the Texans if they press for a new deal for big big bucks. I don't think we'd do it, frankly, because of the talent that Kubiak has been able to acquire in draft and UDFA route each year.

Call me crazy, but Tolliver and Jean seem to be pressing HARD like no other guy has before (for where they came from and what's ahead of them on the roster). JJ could become very expendable if Kubiak is smart enough to develop Tolliver and Jean. Even Townsel (sp?) seems like he's got potential.

I don't see how Kubiak can even contemplate trying to sneak Tolliver and/or Jean onto the Practice Squad. To me, unless they have an atrocious preseason, those two guys become a part of the roster. Not sure how that affects roster limits and/or depth chart in other positions, though.

3. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

would rep you if i could. good post and break down. I agree J.J is a play maker and to cut him would of been one of the dumbest move our FO has ever made, good thing they didnt.

4. Texas T

Texas T Hall of Fame

This^^^^

The biggest thing about JJ and these stats don't show is how many passes has he dropped?? Maybe more telling would be a thrown to/reception stat??

I'm in the camp that thinks that he CAN be good, as GP said, if he became consistent.

5. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Good stuff, I agree. Must spread rep.

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

These stats do show that Jones is better but he just needs to do it on a daily basis.

7. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Was there anyone who thought DA would been the more logical one to keep than JJ?

8. EllisUnit

yeah one guy :facepalm:

9. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I wonder who that was.

10. EllisUnit

:thinking: you :)

11. gary

gary Hall of Fame

And I stand by that. Mostly because there were more consistent receivers out there who were free agents but not anymore.

12. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder King of the Potato People

David Anderson?

13. EllisUnit

thats cool. i liked D.A but J.J shows flashes of being better than average, and D.A was average. J.J is fast, versatile, has some ups. ALL he needs to do is work on his hands, that can be fixed, lack of speed and explosiveness cant be fixed so easily.

14. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I'll take it and root for him to do well. I always cheer for a Texan anyway.

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

I understand dumping them both to snag a F/A WR but I'm not sure we could have afforded one of those primo (or near-primo) WRs with the little bit of salary cap space dumping those two guys would have provided.

oh well, we'll never know now.

16. 2slik4u

2slik4u Hall of Fame

I can think of a few others that would have topped this if this happened...

17. EllisUnit

such as ???

18. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Just to be clear I was not advocating dumping JJ and giving his job to Anderson but just signing a different free agent. But it's over now and Jones is still here and he has my full pledged support.

19. vupac1

vupac1 Veteran

We already have our quota of very consistent yet unspectacular WR with Kevin Walter.

Although I would have preferred to let Dorin Dickerson take Jacoby's role of potentially superstar wild-card, I don't entirely mind keeping Jacoby and stay waiting for that breakout year he's supposedly been on the verge of for so long

20. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

They played different roles . DA = Wes Welker and JJ = Alvin Harper . One's job is get the 3rd and 5 the other is to be a big play threat .