Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-26-2011   #501
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Nnamdi and Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Kubiak, Smith and Asos agent. All in Kubiaks office eating $5 foot longs with a deal that already makes Aso a Texan.

Kubes: What shoould we say now?
Smith: Say the Redskins are getting into the bidding
Aso's agent: LOL
Smith: No. Say the Falcons are signing him and they are trading Robinson back to Houston for $17 million a year
Kubiak: AWESOME!
Philips: Hey guys whats going on??I smell sammiches??

EDIT:for Brandon
Only problem with this scenario is Phillips not being on the inside. I think he had commitment from McNair to doing anything possible to improve DBs when Wade signed his contract.
Old 07-26-2011   #502
Lucky

Rep Power: 102976 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Another thing just popped up in my head, is Terrence Newman a FA, if so, any chance Phillps tries to bring him here if we can't get Namadi?
Good grief, I hope not. Newman has sucked for awhile.
Old 07-26-2011   #503
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 18937 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

If the Texans sign Nnambi, Kareem will have more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jamison!
Old 07-26-2011   #504
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Dallas is supposed to be a player for Aso and has considerably more leverage as far as "winning" goes. I'm more worried about thm than the J-E-T-S.
Old 07-26-2011   #505
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61262 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4Ever View Post
Another thing just popped up in my head, is Terrence Newman a FA, if so, any chance Phillps tries to bring him here if we can't get Namadi?
Better name than football player ...i.e. we would be overpaying for "veteran leadership" that "knew the system." Dallas pass defense with and post Wade was close to as poor as the Texans.
Old 07-26-2011   #506
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
If the Texans sign Nnambi, Kareem will have more balls thrown his way than Jenna Jamison!
Its ok. He is All-Pro at the duck-n-cover defense.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #507
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
If you look at Phillip's record for improving defenses and consider the fact that we have a top 4 offense, what do you base your argument on? If the J-E-T-S sign Aso, they lose their entinre WR corps. Winning or losing 10-9 or 9-10 is not going to win fans in NYC.
What do I base my argument on? That it's the Texans. Speaking realistically, how many good arguments could be made that Houston would be a better fit for him than the Jets? We've never made the playoffs and have had one winning season in our existence. The Jets have gone the AFC Championship game two years in a row. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but if he does value winning over money then the Jets likely have the upper hand in signing him.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2011   #508
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
That's just salary, don't know how much his signing bonus was for this year but probably a few million.
Here is something from AJ in 2008

Quote:
The Texans didn't just "give" Matt Schaub $48 million.

They gave him $4.5 million on or about May 15, 2007 as a signing bonus.
They gave him $2.5 million on or about May 15, 2007 as a roster bonus.
He earned a $50,000 workout bonus during summer camps in 2007.
He earned a $950,000 base salary in 2007.
He earned a $50,000 workout bonus during the summer camps in 2008.
He is scheduled to earn $4.95 million in base salary in '08
He is scheduled to earn $6.95 million in base salary in '09

Let's do some quick math. Can you say "3 years - $19.95 million?" I knew you could.
So, first three years were 19.95M + 10M option bonus in 2010 = ~$30M, which leaves 18M over the three years (2010-12). However, I am not sure when/how that $10M bonus started hitting the cap, and what effect the uncapped year has on the situation.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...aub-s-contract
Old 07-26-2011   #509
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Better name than football player ...i.e. we would be overpaying for "veteran leadership" that "knew the system." Dallas pass defense with and post Wade was close to as poor as the Texans.
Luckily they did not release him...otherwise I'd have a feeling he'd be on his way to Houston by now.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #510
Lucky

Rep Power: 102976 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
However, I am not sure when/how that $10M bonus started hitting the cap, and what effect the uncapped year has on the situation.
We need a forum capologist.
Old 07-26-2011   #511
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
We need a forum capologist.
His username better be Merlin. It will take a wizard to decipher all that stuff.
Old 07-26-2011   #512
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39734 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
What do I base my argument on? That it's the Texans. Speaking realistically, how many good arguments could be made that Houston would be a better fit for him than the Jets? We've never made the playoffs and have had one winning season in our existence. The Jets have gone the AFC Championship game two years in a row. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but if he does value winning over money then the Jets likely have the upper hand in signing him.
We have an easy argument in our favor. We have a fantastic offense that won't need to change in order to acquire him. We can throw him a ****load of money, he fits perfectly in what our scheme will be, he'll be THE man here and the biggest FA signing in franchise history. He knows that by signing here, he'll mean way more to us than any other team. Houston is not the bright lights of NYC, which is nice for a guy who's not an attention whore punk like the rest of the Jets, Houston/Texas is a better place to live tax-wise, etc.

The Jets are "better" than the Texans, but we'll be in the playoffs with him, so the difference is negligible.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #513
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Still doesn't explain why ESPN doesn't even mention him. They are very good at talking out of their asses, and Nnamdi is the top FA. Doesn't make sense that he isn't in the news at all.
Jamie Dukes on NFLN Total Access just said he thinks Nnamdi is headed to Houston, but then again...in the same breath he says Jerry Jones could sway him to play for the Cowboys.

After releasing Marion Barber AND Roy Williams, I don't know how Jerry could legitimately "sway" Nnamdi to Dallas. Nnamdi's been there done that, in terms of playing for a team with no offense and erratic leadership. It's been said that Nnamdi is impressed with the leadership in the Texans organization, with the city, etc. He's a thinker. So I "think" he is smart enough to know that he's going to be treated better in Houston than most other places (Dallas included).

I stated several hours ago that I now think we have a Haynesworth type deal, a silent but deadly deal, with Nnamdi. As some have speculated, the Texans cannot announce it because they can't yet. Secondly, the Texans want to play it cool and continue to show Nnamdi that the Texans are classy. Thirdly, the agent probably has not allowed a final number to be drawn up...stating that he wants his client, Nnamdi, to be free to negotiate with ANY team until the last possible moment (Good agent, if he is doing this, by the way).

The total dollar amount is probably still up in the air, and like one person pointed out: The leakage stuff about Nnamdi to Jets could just be the agent trying last-minute P.R. stuff to try and get more from Bob McNair.

Maybe this is why Bob didn't fire Kubiak. Had he hired Cowher in Kubiak's place, he was going to be on the hook for remainder of Kubiak's salary AND the new salary for Cowher in the same year. This would affect the bottom line, obviously. Instead, he retains Kubiak (for the purpose of continuing the good work on offense) and he hires Wade Phillips (for the defense) with the purpose of using Wade AND a strong draft on defense in 2011 (which we did) to set up the final play for Nnamdi.

IF this works out, then we can drop the Bob Is Cheap act (I solemnly swear to) but we also have to drop the Rick Smith Can't Recruit Big Name Players act, as well. IF this works out, then Bob McNair gets a huge bump in street cred from practically everybody. And then it becomes a deal of Gary and Wade shaping this team into a team who can play 4 quarters for 16 games all reg season long.

What do you think? I feel pretty good, to be honest. You know damn well if it was leaked that McNabb has a deal in place (a handshake deal) with the Vikings, that the Jets would have had SOMEBODY snooping around their place and tweeting that there is a handshake deal for Nnamdi. With the Texans, they're pretty good at keeping things quiet. Have been ever since Kubiak hit town. Not even McClain has anything anymore that's a scoop. Am I right?
Old 07-26-2011   #514
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61034 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

You're correct sir.
Old 07-26-2011   #515
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I honestly don't know if he's made up his mind yet. I do think things are a little too quiet though...
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #516
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Maybe this is why Bob didn't fire Kubiak.
Please don't go there. It still hurts.

Quote:
What do you think? I feel pretty good, to be honest.
I feel like I felt in the 4th quarter of the Jets game, last year. "How are the Texans going to blow this one?"
Old 07-26-2011   #517
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet if Cowher was here instead of Kubiak, it'd be easier to convince Aso to come here.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #518
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Jamie Dukes on NFLN Total Access just said he thinks Nnamdi is headed to Houston, but then again...in the same breath he says Jerry Jones could sway him to play for the Cowboys.

After releasing Marion Barber AND Roy Williams, I don't know how Jerry could legitimately "sway" Nnamdi to Dallas. Nnamdi's been there done that, in terms of playing for a team with no offense and erratic leadership. It's been said that Nnamdi is impressed with the leadership in the Texans organization, with the city, etc. He's a thinker. So I "think" he is smart enough to know that he's going to be treated better in Houston than most other places (Dallas included).

I stated several hours ago that I now think we have a Haynesworth type deal, a silent but deadly deal, with Nnamdi. As some have speculated, the Texans cannot announce it because they can't yet. Secondly, the Texans want to play it cool and continue to show Nnamdi that the Texans are classy. Thirdly, the agent probably has not allowed a final number to be drawn up...stating that he wants his client, Nnamdi, to be free to negotiate with ANY team until the last possible moment (Good agent, if he is doing this, by the way).

The total dollar amount is probably still up in the air, and like one person pointed out: The leakage stuff about Nnamdi to Jets could just be the agent trying last-minute P.R. stuff to try and get more from Bob McNair.

Maybe this is why Bob didn't fire Kubiak. Had he hired Cowher in Kubiak's place, he was going to be on the hook for remainder of Kubiak's salary AND the new salary for Cowher in the same year. This would affect the bottom line, obviously. Instead, he retains Kubiak (for the purpose of continuing the good work on offense) and he hires Wade Phillips (for the defense) with the purpose of using Wade AND a strong draft on defense in 2011 (which we did) to set up the final play for Nnamdi.

IF this works out, then we can drop the Bob Is Cheap act (I solemnly swear to) but we also have to drop the Rick Smith Can't Recruit Big Name Players act, as well. IF this works out, then Bob McNair gets a huge bump in street cred from practically everybody. And then it becomes a deal of Gary and Wade shaping this team into a team who can play 4 quarters for 16 games all reg season long.

What do you think? I feel pretty good, to be honest. You know damn well if it was leaked that McNabb has a deal in place (a handshake deal) with the Vikings, that the Jets would have had SOMEBODY snooping around their place and tweeting that there is a handshake deal for Nnamdi. With the Texans, they're pretty good at keeping things quiet. Have been ever since Kubiak hit town. Not even McClain has anything anymore that's a scoop. Am I right?
We don't exactly have a history of agreeing with each other, but I agree with most of what you said. I'm worried that I'm being overly optimistic, but I have a feeling that there is something to the lack of actual Aso news, and that it very well might involve a deal with the Texans.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #519
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Just to add some color. Nnamdi is represented by Tom Condon (CAA), also within CAA is Ben Dogra, who represents Mario, Demeco and Braylon Edwards.
Old 07-26-2011   #520
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I bet if Cowher was here instead of Kubiak, it'd be easier to convince Aso to come here.
Already? At LEAST wait until the season starts.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read