Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 10-25-2010   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Beerlover Mocks "BYE" Week

Beerlover Texan Bye Week Mock

bored with Texans on BYE week & watching plenty of College Football so made a quick if I could address Texans needs now mock draft using senior prospects only.

first round: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue Boilermakers, 6040 265. Technician, good motor & highly productive.

second round: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple Owls, 6020 195. Physical, range & cover skills with blitz abiltiy.

third round: Ben Ijalana, Villanova Wildcats, OG, 6040 325. dominate pass defender, crushing run blocker who can seal off lanes.

fourth round: Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes, 6000 190. track speed, NFL size, smooth back peddle & fluid hips.

fifth round: Mike Blanc, DT, Auburn Tigers 6040 297. Penetrating SEC tackle with explosive first step & use of moves to QB.

sixth round: Casey Matthews, MLB, Oregon Ducks 6020 235. Relentless like rest of family, improved play every year now reading & reacting quicker.

seventh round: Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern Wildcats 6040 230. Sideline to sideline coverage can create turnovers & play special teams

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #2
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Beerlover Mocks "BYE" Week

With Demeco out with an ACL tear, I think the Texans will pick a LB in the 3rd or 4th round and wait for the 6th to pick up an OG or OT.
Old 10-25-2010   #3
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the rest of the draft outside the first round.

So we have Mario, Antonio Smith, and A healthy Barwin back next year. How does Kerrigan find snaps?

Honestly i'd love for us to pick up a stud interior lineman guard or center. I know it sounds crazy as well but I wouldn't mind a WR that was BPA either. Jones just doesn't look like he'll ever be consistent enough to be the third wr we hoped for. It'd be nice to have someone opposite AJ the stretch defenses. Also slides Walter to the slot where I think he can create mismatches.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #4
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Beerlover Texan Bye Week Mock

bored with Texans on BYE week & watching plenty of College Football so made a quick if I could address Texans needs now mock draft using senior prospects only.

first round: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue Boilermakers, 6040 265. Technician, good motor & highly productive.

second round: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple Owls, 6020 195. Physical, range & cover skills with blitz abiltiy.

third round: Ben Ijalana, Villanova Wildcats, OG, 6040 325. dominate pass defender, crushing run blocker who can seal off lanes.

fourth round: Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes, 6000 190. track speed, NFL size, smooth back peddle & fluid hips.

fifth round: Mike Blanc, DT, Auburn Tigers 6040 297. Penetrating SEC tackle with explosive first step & use of moves to QB.

sixth round: Casey Matthews, MLB, Oregon Ducks 6020 235. Relentless like rest of family, improved play every year now reading & reacting quicker.

seventh round: Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern Wildcats 6040 230. Sideline to sideline coverage can create turnovers & play special teams
Overall excellent job, as usual.

1. I like the pick. He is a high motor guy who can come in and be a rotational DE. This D NEEDS pressure, so good work.

2. I like the idea, though I wonder if we need a new SS. I like Pollard, but the new rules are going to limit his ability to lay the wood. Outside of hitting hard, Pollard has not been particualrly effective at SS and has been a liability in the pass game. Perhaps we need a SS who can play the run, tackle, and cover decently?

3. I like the idea, though i wonder if he is the right fit for our scheme. Even though we run a hybrid ZOne/power scheme, we still seem to favor lighter O-line who are light on their feet. 325 is a big big man. How are his lateral foot skills? If they are awesome, I have a feeling he is gone in the early second becuase a large agile man is a rare combo.

4. LOVE the pick.

5. Yes! This is the kind of DT we need. Okoye for all his issues is a run stopper. Okoye is essentially our big run clogger/stopper. Pair him with someone who cannot get to the QB(like Cody) and he falters. But put a person next to him who can push up the middle and he looks a lot better.

6. Nice value pick. he has the bloodlines and i he has 1/10th of his father or uncle's ability he would be a 6th round steal. Sadly I seem him climbing into the 4th round, so if we want him, we may have to take him earlier.

7. 7th rounders on the Texans have suddenly been making big contributions. Meaning people are undervaluing them, we are depleted, or both. 2006: David Anderson, 2007: Zac Diles, 2009: Troy Nolan, 2010: Dorin Dickerson. I like your pick. He could definitely fit in with this team.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
With Demeco out with an ACL tear, I think the Texans will pick a LB in the 3rd or 4th round and wait for the 6th to pick up an OG or OT.
see Sharpton.

however I would tend to agree but we have time to develop one. people including myself where freaking out last years draft when the Texans selected Sharpton in the 4th rd. but kid is a player, everydown LB who can play all three positions & he will have a year under his belt in Bush system. Matthews could wind up being a 3rd./4th rd. quality pick, all in due time, that's how you build in value to the pick

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-25-2010   #6
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I like the rest of the draft outside the first round.

So we have Mario, Antonio Smith, and A healthy Barwin back next year. How does Kerrigan find snaps?

Honestly i'd love for us to pick up a stud interior lineman guard or center. I know it sounds crazy as well but I wouldn't mind a WR that was BPA either. Jones just doesn't look like he'll ever be consistent enough to be the third wr we hoped for. It'd be nice to have someone opposite AJ the stretch defenses. Also slides Walter to the slot where I think he can create mismatches.
there are no guarentees Barwin will ever be the same player. it's a damn shame, guess that's football but it's too important not to address & continues to be a primary need. Ryan is instinctive, very smart football player think of Brian Cushing profile. He represents a player fans will adore & teammates will welcome in their collective quest to win those games that allude them because QB's have too much time to torch secondary.

I thought this was funny so I'll add it here its from Alen Burge Examiner article "A closer look at the roster moves"
Quote:
Being from Purdue (Texans GM Rick Smith's alma mater) is almost as good as being from Colorado State (Kubiak ties) when it comes to signing free agents.
why not draft picks too? so Kerrigan could have this working for him also

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 10-25-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2010   #7
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Overall excellent job, as usual.

1. I like the pick. He is a high motor guy who can come in and be a rotational DE. This D NEEDS pressure, so good work.

2. I like the idea, though I wonder if we need a new SS. I like Pollard, but the new rules are going to limit his ability to lay the wood. Outside of hitting hard, Pollard has not been particualrly effective at SS and has been a liability in the pass game. Perhaps we need a SS who can play the run, tackle, and cover decently?

3. I like the idea, though i wonder if he is the right fit for our scheme. Even though we run a hybrid ZOne/power scheme, we still seem to favor lighter O-line who are light on their feet. 325 is a big big man. How are his lateral foot skills? If they are awesome, I have a feeling he is gone in the early second becuase a large agile man is a rare combo.

4. LOVE the pick.

5. Yes! This is the kind of DT we need. Okoye for all his issues is a run stopper. Okoye is essentially our big run clogger/stopper. Pair him with someone who cannot get to the QB(like Cody) and he falters. But put a person next to him who can push up the middle and he looks a lot better.

6. Nice value pick. he has the bloodlines and i he has 1/10th of his father or uncle's ability he would be a 6th round steal. Sadly I seem him climbing into the 4th round, so if we want him, we may have to take him earlier.

7. 7th rounders on the Texans have suddenly been making big contributions. Meaning people are undervaluing them, we are depleted, or both. 2006: David Anderson, 2007: Zac Diles, 2009: Troy Nolan, 2010: Dorin Dickerson. I like your pick. He could definitely fit in with this team.
thanks! your opinion mean alot to me.

Ben Ijalana plays under the radar. he also plays LT so he offers versatility. I could see him winding up with 2nd rd. grade, just hoping cause he would give the OL a weapon to negate some of those nightmare 3-4 NT's.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Sponsored links
Old 10-25-2010   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. I like the player but not the pick, I agree with Goldensilence, I see Barwin coming back, the guy has tremendous work ethic, and I don't think there's room for another high round DE unless we move Smith inside permanent.

2. Love this pick.

3. I'm not familiar with him and question his size, but if he's got the footwork and agility then I'd be all for it. I agree with Awtysst, if he's really good and has the athleticism then he'll be gone by this time. Can he play RT?

4. No more middle round CB's, that's part of what's led us to the trouble we have in the secondary now.

5. Love the pick and size and he adds depth to a rotation that needs it badly.

6. I'm not familiar with the player but I'm not opposed to adding depth to the LB squad and special teams. I think we only need 1 LB in this draft and would like to see one of these late picks spent on SS to replace Barber.

7. See #6.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
1. I like the player but not the pick, I agree with Goldensilence, I see Barwin coming back, the guy has tremendous work ethic, and I don't think there's room for another high round DE unless we move Smith inside permanent.

2. Love this pick.

3. I'm not familiar with him and question his size, but if he's got the footwork and agility then I'd be all for it. I agree with Awtysst, if he's really good and has the athleticism then he'll be gone by this time. Can he play RT?

4. No more middle round CB's, that's part of what's led us to the trouble we have in the secondary now.

5. Love the pick and size and he adds depth to a rotation that needs it badly.

6. I'm not familiar with the player but I'm not opposed to adding depth to the LB squad and special teams. I think we only need 1 LB in this draft and would like to see one of these late picks spent on SS to replace Barber.

7. See #6.
well, you did ask for it....

I'll PM Cloak concerning Barwin injury but it seems quite severe to me for his position because to be effective in pass rushing you have to not only exert great force & push you also roll & fold over the ankle & ligament support constantly. DeMecos tear is more normal & should be fully recovered at least by next mid-season. Look the Texans cannot continue to roll without a better pass rush & in this league that take elite talent see Giants. Ryan Kerrigan is a pure pass rusher @ the DE position, will have a consensus 1st rd. grade & would help turne an area of weakness into a position of strength w/ depth (this allows Barwin proper recovery schedule at the same time).

This draft is about strengthening the defense & trenches on the offensive line, that's where I see it after 6 weeks into the BYE.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 10-25-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-25-2010   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
well, you did ask for it....

I'll PM Cloak concerning Barwin injury but it seems quite severe to me for his position because to be effective in pass rushing you have to not only exert great force & push you also roll & fold over the ankle & ligament support constantly. DeMecos tear is more normal & should be fully recovered at least by mid-season. Look the Texans cannot continue to roll without a better pass rush & in this league that take elite talent. Ryan Kerrigan is a pure pass rusher @ the DE position, will have a consensus 1st rd. grade & turnes an area of weakness into a position of strength & depth (this allows Barwin proper recovery schedule at the same time).

This draft is about strengthening the defense & trenches on the offensive line, that's where I see it after 6 weeks into the BYE.
In response to your PM:

For Barwin's injury, surgical pins and screws are typically needed to reconstruct the joint. Someimes a plate is used for the fibula fracture. Usually, the pins and screws are taken out after 8 to 12 weeks, but in extreme cases might be left in permanently. Recovery from surgery typically takes approximately 4 1/2 to 6 months. That's when coming into football shape begins. A lot of this depends on Barwin's break being the classic clean single distal fibula break The ligament damage repair will then become the most important deficit to overcome. Ankle re-injury is a real concern with ligaments that are not maximally stabilized. Strengthening of the calf muscles becomes very important. Furthermore, Barwin will have to concentrate a great deal of time to re-establishing balance and proprioception in order to minimize risk of reinjury. Proprioception refers to the brain knowing in what position and where in space the ankle is at all times. This is so important because with severe ligament tears. the foot tends to lose it ability to feedback its true position in space. If the foot is turned out, it may be incorrectly translated by the brain as being turned in. You may yourself have experienced this when your foot falls asleep, and you find yourself stumbling around until it awakens.

The bottom line, if the facts are as we know it and no more, Barwin with his typical motivation, should be able to regain preinjury motion (including lateral), and strength and regain preinjury or almost preinjury performance by next season. He will need to pay particular attention to his footwear, as well as religious ankle strength and proprioception exercises, as he will have some life-long increased risk to ankle injury as compared to a player who has never sustained such an injury.

One last comment. If we have not been aware of additional complicating factors of the injury (such as multiple or spiral fractures or large surface joint damage to the tibia/talus interface, shredded ligaments......then Barwin may not reach his maximum healing/performance until the 2 year mark........and return to preinjury performance level is less predictable. Ultimately, Barwin's recovery will be linked to his unique injury.

Edit: You may wish to review may post on Tate to refamiliarize yourself with he anatomy of the area in question. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...+injury&page=3

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 10-26-2010 at 07:49 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
In response to your PM:

For Barwin's injury, surgical pins and screws are typically needed to reconstruct the joint. Someimes a plate is used for the fibula fracture. Usually, the pins and screws are taken out after 8 to 12 weeks, but in extreme cases might be left in permanently. Recovery from surgery typically takes approximately 4 1/2 to 6 months. That's when coming into football shape begins. A lot of this depends on Barwin's break being the classic clean single distal fibula break The ligament damage repair will then become the most important deficit to overcome. Ankle re-injury is a real concern with ligaments that are not maximally stabilized. Strengthening of the calf muscles becomes very important. Furthermore, Barwin will have to concentrate a great deal of time to re-establishing balance and proprioception in order to minimize risk of reinjury. Proprioception refers to the brain knowing in what position and where in space the ankle is at all times. This is so important because with severe ligament tears. the foot tends to lose it ability to feedback its true position in space. If the foot is turned out, it may be incorrectly translated by the brain as being turned in. You may yourself have experienced this when your foot falls asleep, and you find yourself stumbling around until it awakens.

The bottom line, if the facts are as we know it and no more, Barwin with his typical motivation, should be able to regain preinjury motion (including lateral), and strength and regain preinjury or almost preinjury performance by next season. He will need to pay particular attention to his footwear, as well as religious ankle strength and proprioception exercises, as he will have some life-long increased risk to ankle injury as compared to a player who has never sustained such an injury.

One last comment. If we have not been aware of additional complicating factors of the injury (such as multiple or spiral fractures or large surface joint damage to the tibia/talus interface, shredded ligaments......then Barwin may not reach his maximum healing/performance until the 2 year mark........and return to preinjury performance level is less predictable. Ultimately, Barwin's recovery will be linked to his unique injury.

Edit: You may wish to review may post on Tate to refamiliarize yourself with he anatomy of the area in question. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...+injury&page=3
as always much appreciated, thank you. so there is good reason to be cautiously optimistic, that Barwin can still be a big part of the Texans future going forward. I really hope so, still anything the Texans can do to address & improve their pass rush must be a priority. adding a high end edge rusher who can hold up in run support gives Bush a dynamic piece to the puzzle.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-26-2010   #12
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
see Sharpton.

however I would tend to agree but we have time to develop one. people including myself where freaking out last years draft when the Texans selected Sharpton in the 4th rd. but kid is a player, everydown LB who can play all three positions & he will have a year under his belt in Bush system. Matthews could wind up being a 3rd./4th rd. quality pick, all in due time, that's how you build in value to the pick
I agree, I just don't think the Texans will pick the way you have it there. I think your reasoning makes sense, and you address key areas of need, but their track record makes me doubt your mock's accuracy. If we take a Safety in the first two rounds, I will be VERY surprised. If we don't take a TE by the 5th round, I will be VERY surprised.
Old 10-26-2010   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I agree, I just don't think the Texans will pick the way you have it there. I think your reasoning makes sense, and you address key areas of need, but their track record makes me doubt your mock's accuracy. If we take a Safety in the first two rounds, I will be VERY surprised. If we don't take a TE by the 5th round, I will be VERY surprised.
As opposed to last year when I tried to predict what Smithiak would do, I will mock what I believe should be done and then track how my guys do regardless of where they go. Good examplw would be Kyle WIlson vs Kareem Jackson
Old 10-26-2010   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As opposed to last year when I tried to predict what Smithiak would do, I will mock what I believe should be done and then track how my guys do regardless of where they go. Good examplw would be Kyle WIlson vs Kareem Jackson
If that where the case then I would have traded up for Earl Thomas

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-26-2010   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
The way I see it, there are two ways to do mock drafts. One is to make a mock as you would draft given the chance to pick, the other is to draft as you think the team will draft. Nothing wrong with either one, just different perspective.

When making a full list of the first round picks for each team, I think you have to go with the way you think that team will draft. That way, you know who's available for the following teams.
Old 10-26-2010   #16
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
as always much appreciated, thank you. so there is good reason to be cautiously optimistic, that Barwin can still be a big part of the Texans future going forward. I really hope so, still anything the Texans can do to address & improve their pass rush must be a priority. adding a high end edge rusher who can hold up in run support gives Bush a dynamic piece to the puzzle.
If I was a being honest I'm tired of sinking 1st round picks into the dl and getting such mixed results. I think we have a better chance to get an impact player at a different position.

I agree on your concerns with Barwin's health going into next season. I guess I'd also like to see what the FO intentions are with Anderson and Ogun before I start looking at a 1st round DE. If we can get either to come back and make a bigger impact it would alleviate the need to look so early.

I also never like the idea of taking a pass rush specialist early who is likely to see limited snaps. Though I do admit it would be nice to have a viable backupnin case either starter goes down.

As others have pointed out its just the bye week and for fun. We still have time for the season to play out in boh college and pro football.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #17
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

My first peak into a mock draft to see the prospects people are intereted in for my NCAA watching. Need to leave before I comment on how early it is for a mock though.
Old 10-27-2010   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
If I was a being honest I'm tired of sinking 1st round picks into the dl and getting such mixed results. I think we have a better chance to get an impact player at a different position.

I agree on your concerns with Barwin's health going into next season. I guess I'd also like to see what the FO intentions are with Anderson and Ogun before I start looking at a 1st round DE. If we can get either to come back and make a bigger impact it would alleviate the need to look so early.

I also never like the idea of taking a pass rush specialist early who is likely to see limited snaps. Though I do admit it would be nice to have a viable backupnin case either starter goes down.

As others have pointed out its just the bye week and for fun. We still have time for the season to play out in boh college and pro football.
I echo your sentiment, its hard to go back in there with another pick but just look what the NY Giants have done over the past few years in the draft. They have basicly grabbed the best 4-3 end available & filled other positions later or via free agency. it's no wonder they have one of the most feared front four rotations in the NFL. So I see nothing wrong with continue investment in pass rushers & help along the DL early. the problem has been evaluation of said talent, in the Texans case, maybe we just don't trust them in this department?

2003 Osi Umenyiora, DE 2nd rd.
2004 Reggie Torbor, DE 4th rd.
2005 Justin Tuck, DE 3rd rd.
2006 Mathias Kiwanuka, DE 1st rd.
2007 Jay Alford, DT 3rd rd.
2008 Robert Henderson, DE 6th
2009 Clint Sintim, DE/OLB 2nd rd.
2010 Jason Pierre-Paul, DE 1st

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-27-2010   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Bleacher does some fun stuff just opened this one up & they had Kerrigan #23 to the Jets & Texans picking #25 DeAndre McDaniel, SS Clemson. If cherry picking is allowed I would rather draft Allen Bailey, DE Miami (they have him #26 to Eagles, who also seem to always draft DL). http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...at-no-1#page/9

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 10-27-2010   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146271 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Other than Okoye, what DL first round are you dis-satisfied with? Mario is not all world but doing very well. If a Kerrigan brings you six sacks and allows other players to be more productive, is that not worth a low first round? Will Ogun get any snaps against Colts?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read