Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Beerlover Mocks "BYE" Week

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Beerlover Texan Bye Week Mock​

bored with Texans on BYE week & watching plenty of College Football so made a quick if I could address Texans needs now mock draft using senior prospects only.

first round: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue Boilermakers, 6040 265. Technician, good motor & highly productive.

second round: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple Owls, 6020 195. Physical, range & cover skills with blitz abiltiy.

third round: Ben Ijalana, Villanova Wildcats, OG, 6040 325. dominate pass defender, crushing run blocker who can seal off lanes.

fourth round: Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes, 6000 190. track speed, NFL size, smooth back peddle & fluid hips.

fifth round: Mike Blanc, DT, Auburn Tigers 6040 297. Penetrating SEC tackle with explosive first step & use of moves to QB.

sixth round: Casey Matthews, MLB, Oregon Ducks 6020 235. Relentless like rest of family, improved play every year now reading & reacting quicker.

seventh round: Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern Wildcats 6040 230. Sideline to sideline coverage can create turnovers & play special teams

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
With Demeco out with an ACL tear, I think the Texans will pick a LB in the 3rd or 4th round and wait for the 6th to pick up an OG or OT.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
I like the rest of the draft outside the first round.

So we have Mario, Antonio Smith, and A healthy Barwin back next year. How does Kerrigan find snaps?

Honestly i'd love for us to pick up a stud interior lineman guard or center. I know it sounds crazy as well but I wouldn't mind a WR that was BPA either. Jones just doesn't look like he'll ever be consistent enough to be the third wr we hoped for. It'd be nice to have someone opposite AJ the stretch defenses. Also slides Walter to the slot where I think he can create mismatches.

awtysst

Draft Guru
Beerlover Texan Bye Week Mock​

bored with Texans on BYE week & watching plenty of College Football so made a quick if I could address Texans needs now mock draft using senior prospects only.

first round: Ryan Kerrigan, DE, Purdue Boilermakers, 6040 265. Technician, good motor & highly productive.

second round: Jaiquawn Jarrett, FS, Temple Owls, 6020 195. Physical, range & cover skills with blitz abiltiy.

third round: Ben Ijalana, Villanova Wildcats, OG, 6040 325. dominate pass defender, crushing run blocker who can seal off lanes.

fourth round: Chimdi Chekwa, CB, Ohio State Buckeyes, 6000 190. track speed, NFL size, smooth back peddle & fluid hips.

fifth round: Mike Blanc, DT, Auburn Tigers 6040 297. Penetrating SEC tackle with explosive first step & use of moves to QB.

sixth round: Casey Matthews, MLB, Oregon Ducks 6020 235. Relentless like rest of family, improved play every year now reading & reacting quicker.

seventh round: Quentin Davie, OLB, Northwestern Wildcats 6040 230. Sideline to sideline coverage can create turnovers & play special teams
Overall excellent job, as usual.

1. I like the pick. He is a high motor guy who can come in and be a rotational DE. This D NEEDS pressure, so good work.

2. I like the idea, though I wonder if we need a new SS. I like Pollard, but the new rules are going to limit his ability to lay the wood. Outside of hitting hard, Pollard has not been particualrly effective at SS and has been a liability in the pass game. Perhaps we need a SS who can play the run, tackle, and cover decently?

3. I like the idea, though i wonder if he is the right fit for our scheme. Even though we run a hybrid ZOne/power scheme, we still seem to favor lighter O-line who are light on their feet. 325 is a big big man. How are his lateral foot skills? If they are awesome, I have a feeling he is gone in the early second becuase a large agile man is a rare combo.

4. LOVE the pick.

5. Yes! This is the kind of DT we need. Okoye for all his issues is a run stopper. Okoye is essentially our big run clogger/stopper. Pair him with someone who cannot get to the QB(like Cody) and he falters. But put a person next to him who can push up the middle and he looks a lot better.

6. Nice value pick. he has the bloodlines and i he has 1/10th of his father or uncle's ability he would be a 6th round steal. Sadly I seem him climbing into the 4th round, so if we want him, we may have to take him earlier.

7. 7th rounders on the Texans have suddenly been making big contributions. Meaning people are undervaluing them, we are depleted, or both. 2006: David Anderson, 2007: Zac Diles, 2009: Troy Nolan, 2010: Dorin Dickerson. I like your pick. He could definitely fit in with this team.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
With Demeco out with an ACL tear, I think the Texans will pick a LB in the 3rd or 4th round and wait for the 6th to pick up an OG or OT.
see Sharpton.

however I would tend to agree but we have time to develop one. people including myself where freaking out last years draft when the Texans selected Sharpton in the 4th rd. but kid is a player, everydown LB who can play all three positions & he will have a year under his belt in Bush system. Matthews could wind up being a 3rd./4th rd. quality pick, all in due time, that's how you build in value to the pick :beer:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I like the rest of the draft outside the first round.

So we have Mario, Antonio Smith, and A healthy Barwin back next year. How does Kerrigan find snaps?

Honestly i'd love for us to pick up a stud interior lineman guard or center. I know it sounds crazy as well but I wouldn't mind a WR that was BPA either. Jones just doesn't look like he'll ever be consistent enough to be the third wr we hoped for. It'd be nice to have someone opposite AJ the stretch defenses. Also slides Walter to the slot where I think he can create mismatches.
there are no guarentees Barwin will ever be the same player. it's a damn shame, guess that's football but it's too important not to address & continues to be a primary need. Ryan is instinctive, very smart football player think of Brian Cushing profile. He represents a player fans will adore & teammates will welcome in their collective quest to win those games that allude them because QB's have too much time to torch secondary.

I thought this was funny so I'll add it here its from Alen Burge Examiner article "A closer look at the roster moves"
Being from Purdue (Texans GM Rick Smith's alma mater) is almost as good as being from Colorado State (Kubiak ties) when it comes to signing free agents.
why not draft picks too? so Kerrigan could have this working for him also :)

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Overall excellent job, as usual.

1. I like the pick. He is a high motor guy who can come in and be a rotational DE. This D NEEDS pressure, so good work.

2. I like the idea, though I wonder if we need a new SS. I like Pollard, but the new rules are going to limit his ability to lay the wood. Outside of hitting hard, Pollard has not been particualrly effective at SS and has been a liability in the pass game. Perhaps we need a SS who can play the run, tackle, and cover decently?

3. I like the idea, though i wonder if he is the right fit for our scheme. Even though we run a hybrid ZOne/power scheme, we still seem to favor lighter O-line who are light on their feet. 325 is a big big man. How are his lateral foot skills? If they are awesome, I have a feeling he is gone in the early second becuase a large agile man is a rare combo.

4. LOVE the pick.

5. Yes! This is the kind of DT we need. Okoye for all his issues is a run stopper. Okoye is essentially our big run clogger/stopper. Pair him with someone who cannot get to the QB(like Cody) and he falters. But put a person next to him who can push up the middle and he looks a lot better.

6. Nice value pick. he has the bloodlines and i he has 1/10th of his father or uncle's ability he would be a 6th round steal. Sadly I seem him climbing into the 4th round, so if we want him, we may have to take him earlier.

7. 7th rounders on the Texans have suddenly been making big contributions. Meaning people are undervaluing them, we are depleted, or both. 2006: David Anderson, 2007: Zac Diles, 2009: Troy Nolan, 2010: Dorin Dickerson. I like your pick. He could definitely fit in with this team.
thanks! your opinion mean alot to me.

Ben Ijalana plays under the radar. he also plays LT so he offers versatility. I could see him winding up with 2nd rd. grade, just hoping cause he would give the OL a weapon to negate some of those nightmare 3-4 NT's.

Wolf6151

All Pro
1. I like the player but not the pick, I agree with Goldensilence, I see Barwin coming back, the guy has tremendous work ethic, and I don't think there's room for another high round DE unless we move Smith inside permanent.

2. Love this pick.

3. I'm not familiar with him and question his size, but if he's got the footwork and agility then I'd be all for it. I agree with Awtysst, if he's really good and has the athleticism then he'll be gone by this time. Can he play RT?

4. No more middle round CB's, that's part of what's led us to the trouble we have in the secondary now.

5. Love the pick and size and he adds depth to a rotation that needs it badly.

6. I'm not familiar with the player but I'm not opposed to adding depth to the LB squad and special teams. I think we only need 1 LB in this draft and would like to see one of these late picks spent on SS to replace Barber.

7. See #6.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
1. I like the player but not the pick, I agree with Goldensilence, I see Barwin coming back, the guy has tremendous work ethic, and I don't think there's room for another high round DE unless we move Smith inside permanent.

2. Love this pick.

3. I'm not familiar with him and question his size, but if he's got the footwork and agility then I'd be all for it. I agree with Awtysst, if he's really good and has the athleticism then he'll be gone by this time. Can he play RT?

4. No more middle round CB's, that's part of what's led us to the trouble we have in the secondary now.

5. Love the pick and size and he adds depth to a rotation that needs it badly.

6. I'm not familiar with the player but I'm not opposed to adding depth to the LB squad and special teams. I think we only need 1 LB in this draft and would like to see one of these late picks spent on SS to replace Barber.

7. See #6.
well, you did ask for it.... :handshake:

I'll PM Cloak concerning Barwin injury but it seems quite severe to me for his position because to be effective in pass rushing you have to not only exert great force & push you also roll & fold over the ankle & ligament support constantly. DeMecos tear is more normal & should be fully recovered at least by next mid-season. Look the Texans cannot continue to roll without a better pass rush & in this league that take elite talent see Giants. Ryan Kerrigan is a pure pass rusher @ the DE position, will have a consensus 1st rd. grade & would help turne an area of weakness into a position of strength w/ depth (this allows Barwin proper recovery schedule at the same time).

This draft is about strengthening the defense & trenches on the offensive line, that's where I see it after 6 weeks into the BYE.

Last edited:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
well, you did ask for it.... :handshake:

I'll PM Cloak concerning Barwin injury but it seems quite severe to me for his position because to be effective in pass rushing you have to not only exert great force & push you also roll & fold over the ankle & ligament support constantly. DeMecos tear is more normal & should be fully recovered at least by mid-season. Look the Texans cannot continue to roll without a better pass rush & in this league that take elite talent. Ryan Kerrigan is a pure pass rusher @ the DE position, will have a consensus 1st rd. grade & turnes an area of weakness into a position of strength & depth (this allows Barwin proper recovery schedule at the same time).

This draft is about strengthening the defense & trenches on the offensive line, that's where I see it after 6 weeks into the BYE.
In response to your PM:

For Barwin's injury, surgical pins and screws are typically needed to reconstruct the joint. Someimes a plate is used for the fibula fracture. Usually, the pins and screws are taken out after 8 to 12 weeks, but in extreme cases might be left in permanently. Recovery from surgery typically takes approximately 4 1/2 to 6 months. That's when coming into football shape begins. A lot of this depends on Barwin's break being the classic clean single distal fibula break The ligament damage repair will then become the most important deficit to overcome. Ankle re-injury is a real concern with ligaments that are not maximally stabilized. Strengthening of the calf muscles becomes very important. Furthermore, Barwin will have to concentrate a great deal of time to re-establishing balance and proprioception in order to minimize risk of reinjury. Proprioception refers to the brain knowing in what position and where in space the ankle is at all times. This is so important because with severe ligament tears. the foot tends to lose it ability to feedback its true position in space. If the foot is turned out, it may be incorrectly translated by the brain as being turned in. You may yourself have experienced this when your foot falls asleep, and you find yourself stumbling around until it awakens.

The bottom line, if the facts are as we know it and no more, Barwin with his typical motivation, should be able to regain preinjury motion (including lateral), and strength and regain preinjury or almost preinjury performance by next season. He will need to pay particular attention to his footwear, as well as religious ankle strength and proprioception exercises, as he will have some life-long increased risk to ankle injury as compared to a player who has never sustained such an injury.

One last comment. If we have not been aware of additional complicating factors of the injury (such as multiple or spiral fractures or large surface joint damage to the tibia/talus interface, shredded ligaments......then Barwin may not reach his maximum healing/performance until the 2 year mark........and return to preinjury performance level is less predictable. Ultimately, Barwin's recovery will be linked to his unique injury.

Edit: You may wish to review may post on Tate to refamiliarize yourself with he anatomy of the area in question. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74278&highlight=tate+injury&page=3

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
In response to your PM:

For Barwin's injury, surgical pins and screws are typically needed to reconstruct the joint. Someimes a plate is used for the fibula fracture. Usually, the pins and screws are taken out after 8 to 12 weeks, but in extreme cases might be left in permanently. Recovery from surgery typically takes approximately 4 1/2 to 6 months. That's when coming into football shape begins. A lot of this depends on Barwin's break being the classic clean single distal fibula break The ligament damage repair will then become the most important deficit to overcome. Ankle re-injury is a real concern with ligaments that are not maximally stabilized. Strengthening of the calf muscles becomes very important. Furthermore, Barwin will have to concentrate a great deal of time to re-establishing balance and proprioception in order to minimize risk of reinjury. Proprioception refers to the brain knowing in what position and where in space the ankle is at all times. This is so important because with severe ligament tears. the foot tends to lose it ability to feedback its true position in space. If the foot is turned out, it may be incorrectly translated by the brain as being turned in. You may yourself have experienced this when your foot falls asleep, and you find yourself stumbling around until it awakens.

The bottom line, if the facts are as we know it and no more, Barwin with his typical motivation, should be able to regain preinjury motion (including lateral), and strength and regain preinjury or almost preinjury performance by next season. He will need to pay particular attention to his footwear, as well as religious ankle strength and proprioception exercises, as he will have some life-long increased risk to ankle injury as compared to a player who has never sustained such an injury.

One last comment. If we have not been aware of additional complicating factors of the injury (such as multiple or spiral fractures or large surface joint damage to the tibia/talus interface, shredded ligaments......then Barwin may not reach his maximum healing/performance until the 2 year mark........and return to preinjury performance level is less predictable. Ultimately, Barwin's recovery will be linked to his unique injury.

Edit: You may wish to review may post on Tate to refamiliarize yourself with he anatomy of the area in question. http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74278&highlight=tate+injury&page=3
as always much appreciated, thank you. so there is good reason to be cautiously optimistic, that Barwin can still be a big part of the Texans future going forward. I really hope so, still anything the Texans can do to address & improve their pass rush must be a priority. adding a high end edge rusher who can hold up in run support gives Bush a dynamic piece to the puzzle.

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
see Sharpton.

however I would tend to agree but we have time to develop one. people including myself where freaking out last years draft when the Texans selected Sharpton in the 4th rd. but kid is a player, everydown LB who can play all three positions & he will have a year under his belt in Bush system. Matthews could wind up being a 3rd./4th rd. quality pick, all in due time, that's how you build in value to the pick :beer:
I agree, I just don't think the Texans will pick the way you have it there. I think your reasoning makes sense, and you address key areas of need, but their track record makes me doubt your mock's accuracy. If we take a Safety in the first two rounds, I will be VERY surprised. If we don't take a TE by the 5th round, I will be VERY surprised.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I agree, I just don't think the Texans will pick the way you have it there. I think your reasoning makes sense, and you address key areas of need, but their track record makes me doubt your mock's accuracy. If we take a Safety in the first two rounds, I will be VERY surprised. If we don't take a TE by the 5th round, I will be VERY surprised.
As opposed to last year when I tried to predict what Smithiak would do, I will mock what I believe should be done and then track how my guys do regardless of where they go. Good examplw would be Kyle WIlson vs Kareem Jackson

beerlover

Hall of Fame
As opposed to last year when I tried to predict what Smithiak would do, I will mock what I believe should be done and then track how my guys do regardless of where they go. Good examplw would be Kyle WIlson vs Kareem Jackson
If that where the case then I would have traded up for Earl Thomas :handshake:

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
The way I see it, there are two ways to do mock drafts. One is to make a mock as you would draft given the chance to pick, the other is to draft as you think the team will draft. Nothing wrong with either one, just different perspective.

When making a full list of the first round picks for each team, I think you have to go with the way you think that team will draft. That way, you know who's available for the following teams.

Goldensilence

hipster elite
as always much appreciated, thank you. so there is good reason to be cautiously optimistic, that Barwin can still be a big part of the Texans future going forward. I really hope so, still anything the Texans can do to address & improve their pass rush must be a priority. adding a high end edge rusher who can hold up in run support gives Bush a dynamic piece to the puzzle.
If I was a being honest I'm tired of sinking 1st round picks into the dl and getting such mixed results. I think we have a better chance to get an impact player at a different position.

I agree on your concerns with Barwin's health going into next season. I guess I'd also like to see what the FO intentions are with Anderson and Ogun before I start looking at a 1st round DE. If we can get either to come back and make a bigger impact it would alleviate the need to look so early.

I also never like the idea of taking a pass rush specialist early who is likely to see limited snaps. Though I do admit it would be nice to have a viable backupnin case either starter goes down.

As others have pointed out its just the bye week and for fun. We still have time for the season to play out in boh college and pro football.

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
My first peak into a mock draft to see the prospects people are intereted in for my NCAA watching. Need to leave before I comment on how early it is for a mock though.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
If I was a being honest I'm tired of sinking 1st round picks into the dl and getting such mixed results. I think we have a better chance to get an impact player at a different position.

I agree on your concerns with Barwin's health going into next season. I guess I'd also like to see what the FO intentions are with Anderson and Ogun before I start looking at a 1st round DE. If we can get either to come back and make a bigger impact it would alleviate the need to look so early.

I also never like the idea of taking a pass rush specialist early who is likely to see limited snaps. Though I do admit it would be nice to have a viable backupnin case either starter goes down.

As others have pointed out its just the bye week and for fun. We still have time for the season to play out in boh college and pro football.
I echo your sentiment, its hard to go back in there with another pick but just look what the NY Giants have done over the past few years in the draft. They have basicly grabbed the best 4-3 end available & filled other positions later or via free agency. it's no wonder they have one of the most feared front four rotations in the NFL. So I see nothing wrong with continue investment in pass rushers & help along the DL early. the problem has been evaluation of said talent, in the Texans case, maybe we just don't trust them in this department?

2003 Osi Umenyiora, DE 2nd rd.
2004 Reggie Torbor, DE 4th rd.
2005 Justin Tuck, DE 3rd rd.
2006 Mathias Kiwanuka, DE 1st rd.
2007 Jay Alford, DT 3rd rd.
2008 Robert Henderson, DE 6th
2009 Clint Sintim, DE/OLB 2nd rd.
2010 Jason Pierre-Paul, DE 1st

badboy

Hall of Fame

Other than Okoye, what DL first round are you dis-satisfied with? Mario is not all world but doing very well. If a Kerrigan brings you six sacks and allows other players to be more productive, is that not worth a low first round? Will Ogun get any snaps against Colts?

badboy

Hall of Fame
My first peak into a mock draft to see the prospects people are intereted in for my NCAA watching. Need to leave before I comment on how early it is for a mock though.
When I buy a new car sometimes I just sit in it or I wash it even if I am not taking it out. Anyway, bye bye! Back to the thread for those of us that enjoy.

awtysst

Draft Guru

I echo your sentiment, its hard to go back in there with another pick but just look what the NY Giants have done over the past few years in the draft. They have basicly grabbed the best 4-3 end available & filled other positions later or via free agency. it's no wonder they have one of the most feared front four rotations in the NFL. So I see nothing wrong with continue investment in pass rushers & help along the DL early. the problem has been evaluation of said talent, in the Texans case, maybe we just don't trust them in this department?

2003 Osi Umenyiora, DE 2nd rd.
2004 Reggie Torbor, DE 4th rd.
2005 Justin Tuck, DE 3rd rd.
2006 Mathias Kiwanuka, DE 1st rd.
2007 Jay Alford, DT 3rd rd.
2008 Robert Henderson, DE 6th
2009 Clint Sintim, DE/OLB 2nd rd.
2010 Jason Pierre-Paul, DE 1st
I agree with BL. I would like to add the following:

Looking at the team in general, the best way to build a strong perennial contender is to continue to add to impact positions. On the NFL football team I would say the following are "impact positions": QB, LT, DE/NT (depending on 4-3 or 3-4), Shutdown CB. Thats it. All the other positions are important, but if you do not have very good players in these positions you can struggle. Now, you can do some compensating as I will demonstrate.

1. Offense: QB/LT. This situation basically states you need a strong QB and solid LT to be a contender. Unless you have a Peyton Manning, you pretty much need a cornerstone LT. A Cornerstone LT can prop up an Avg QB and vice versa. IE important to have both.

2. Defense: DE/NT/OLB & Shutdown CB. If playing a 3-4 You MUST have a studly 3-4 NT. If you don't you are in essence screwed. Studly DE/OLB are important to apply pressure. A shutdown cb can cut off the field.

Now, this is where it gets tricky:which positions are easier/tougher to find. I would say the shutdown CB is probably the toughest position to find in football. In my mind there are 2 shutdown CBs in the league: AS in oakland and DR in NYJ. That's it. Finding one of these guys is exceedingly rare. In comparison I would say there are 10 very good QBs, a dozen or more excellent DE/OLB, and a handful of great NTs.

So, as 4-3 team, we have to also consider value when picking. How many QBs can you really play in a game? I would say 1. So, once you get your QB, you generally don't want another. How many LTs do you want? Again, you really want that single LT out there. How many DEs can play in a game? Well theoretically you can play multiple DE by using rotations.

This is the reason you WANT to draft DEs. You can continuously shuttle them in and out. Plus, the misrate of DEs is not as bad as other positions. This is especially true if you draft passrush specialists and use him at his strength early on. Then teach him just enough to be a decent run stopper. Then you can constantly cycle in new fresh ones.

The same argument can be made for the 3-4 player. I would argue that drafting 4-3 DEs is a smart move for a team becuase the success rate is higher than looking for shutdown corners. A strong DE can make a poor CB look better. A studly CB can make a poor DE look better. The probability of finding the stud DE> than Shutdown CB. Thus, continue to go after DE unless there is an obvious glaring need.

Rey

Im more inclined to place a priority on DT rather than DE...

I'd also like to see us take a CB and or FS early. I like the Jarrett pick...I had him in one of the mocks I did...

awtysst

Draft Guru

I'd also like to see us take a CB and or FS early. I like the Jarrett pick...I had him in one of the mocks I did...
IMO, a DE is worth more than a DE. Plus with some DEs, you can actually put them in at DT on some situations(see A. Smith). You generally don't see DTs playing DE. Also, there is a higher bust rate on higher rated DTs than DE.

Texan4Ever

All Pro
If I were to ever build a team, this is how I would build it:

OFFENSE: Take a franchise left tackle, quarterback, wide receiver, center and running back in this order.

DEFENSE: DE, MLB, CB, S, and then fill the other positions

I support the belief that you build from the trenches and out. Also, having a lights-out D can help you get to the Super Bowl even with a sporadic QB (e.g. Rex Grossman and the Bears)

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Really like you mock.

Seems to fill most of the holes.

Wish you were doing the drafting instead of R.Smith. Because we seem to be on the same page.

All of these guys are relentless hard nosed players. Something that this current Texans team is lacking. IMHO

I will be posting my Texans all defense mock soon. I'm looking forward to your critique.

Rey

IMO, a DE is worth more than a DE. Plus with some DEs, you can actually put them in at DT on some situations(see A. Smith). You generally don't see DTs playing DE. Also, there is a higher bust rate on higher rated DTs than DE.
Not sure what that has to do with an individual team's needs

If we are going to draft off of which positions are more important then why not just draft all QB's? or all CB's?

The fact that a DE may be the position of higher value is almost non-relevant to me.

Just about every team has a good edge rusher. Not many have dominant DT's. Although the bust rate may be higher for DT's the draft is one of the few avenues to obtain them.

awtysst

Draft Guru
Not sure what that has to do with an individual team's needs

If we are going to draft off of which positions are more important then why not just draft all QB's? or all CB's?

The fact that a DE may be the position of higher value is almost non-relevant to me.

Just about every team has a good edge rusher. Not many have dominant DT's. Although the bust rate may be higher for DT's the draft is one of the few avenues to obtain them.
Sure, just about every team has a(ie 1) good edge rusher. You can really throw the Offensive coordinator fits if you have 2 good edge rushers. Now if you have 3 good edge rushers, you can rotate them and have one come in as a DT on pass plays. if you have 4 you can rotate them AND have one come in at DT on pass plays.

Lets say you have one probowl caliber DE. Which would you rather do: draft three straight high motor DEs who can get after the QB or three straight DTs who may be able to push forwad, but more than likely will be an Okoye type player? I say go get those high motor DEs and get value DTs like Earl Mitchell later on.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I agree with BL. I would like to add the following:

Looking at the team in general, the best way to build a strong perennial contender is to continue to add to impact positions. On the NFL football team I would say the following are "impact positions": QB, LT, DE/NT (depending on 4-3 or 3-4), Shutdown CB. Thats it. All the other positions are important, but if you do not have very good players in these positions you can struggle. Now, you can do some compensating as I will demonstrate.

1. Offense: QB/LT. This situation basically states you need a strong QB and solid LT to be a contender. Unless you have a Peyton Manning, you pretty much need a cornerstone LT. A Cornerstone LT can prop up an Avg QB and vice versa. IE important to have both.

2. Defense: DE/NT/OLB & Shutdown CB. If playing a 3-4 You MUST have a studly 3-4 NT. If you don't you are in essence screwed. Studly DE/OLB are important to apply pressure. A shutdown cb can cut off the field.

Now, this is where it gets tricky:which positions are easier/tougher to find. I would say the shutdown CB is probably the toughest position to find in football. In my mind there are 2 shutdown CBs in the league: AS in oakland and DR in NYJ. That's it. Finding one of these guys is exceedingly rare. In comparison I would say there are 10 very good QBs, a dozen or more excellent DE/OLB, and a handful of great NTs.

So, as 4-3 team, we have to also consider value when picking. How many QBs can you really play in a game? I would say 1. So, once you get your QB, you generally don't want another. How many LTs do you want? Again, you really want that single LT out there. How many DEs can play in a game? Well theoretically you can play multiple DE by using rotations.

This is the reason you WANT to draft DEs. You can continuously shuttle them in and out. Plus, the misrate of DEs is not as bad as other positions. This is especially true if you draft passrush specialists and use him at his strength early on. Then teach him just enough to be a decent run stopper. Then you can constantly cycle in new fresh ones.

The same argument can be made for the 3-4 player. I would argue that drafting 4-3 DEs is a smart move for a team becuase the success rate is higher than looking for shutdown corners. A strong DE can make a poor CB look better. A studly CB can make a poor DE look better. The probability of finding the stud DE> than Shutdown CB. Thus, continue to go after DE unless there is an obvious glaring need.
Very good analysis!

badboy

Hall of Fame

On the Texans current roster, I agree with you. I see only one DT that might be there at our first round pick. If not, I'll probably select a DE depending if Brandon Harris a shut down CB is there. That would bring me to reflection.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Sure, just about every team has a(ie 1) good edge rusher. You can really throw the Offensive coordinator fits if you have 2 good edge rushers. Now if you have 3 good edge rushers, you can rotate them and have one come in as a DT on pass plays. if you have 4 you can rotate them AND have one come in at DT on pass plays.

Lets say you have one probowl caliber DE. Which would you rather do: draft three straight high motor DEs who can get after the QB or three straight DTs who may be able to push forwad, but more than likely will be an Okoye type player? I say go get those high motor DEs and get value DTs like Earl Mitchell later on.
What about mixing a high motor DT like Auburn's Fairly next to Okoye,Williams and either Barwin or A.Smith? I want to force the QB to move out of the pocket(at least most of them) and disrupt their focus. I envision forcing the Qb into the path of the DE; this also allows the DT to adjust to a run play hopefully behind the LOS.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I could not mock Fairley late 1st. plus this mock considers only senior prospects. When he makes his decision known I'll take the body of his work & project him forward. there is no doubt he could help Texans front four. Right now he projects Top 10 in 2012. I think he would be ideal as a 3-4 DE/DT. He kinda dominates like Richard Seymour when he played @ Georgia who also had a great DL & he was selected 6th overall, he is that kind of DT/DE who can press the edge & create lanes for OLB's. Hence he is more than just a run plugger & is athletic enough to fit various schemes.

10/26/10 - WEEK 8 TOP PERFORMER: Auburn quarterback Cam Newton emerged as the Heisman frontrunner with his record-breaking performance against LSU, but it was his teammate, junior defensive tackle Nick Fairley, who made the greater impression on NFL scouts. The 6-foot-4, 298-pound Fairley registered six tackles, including 3½ tackles for loss and 2½ sacks, in the SEC battle of unbeatens and is leaping up draft boards. The dominance Fairley showed in the high-profile contest was similar to the game Ndamukong Suh had against Colt McCoy and the Texas Longhorns in last year's Big 12 Championship Game. Fairley's strong game shouldn't come as a surprise. He entered the game leading the SEC with 13½ tackles for loss and ranked second in sacks with five. Fairley has been particularly impressive in the month of October. He was recognized as the SEC Defensive Lineman of the Week against Louisiana-Monroe on Oct. 4, and again after posting a career-high eight tackles against Arkansas a week ago. It is safe to say Fairley will successfully defend his title and once again be recognized by the SEC after this performance. The more lasting recognition Fairley might earn could come in April. Only a junior, Fairley has been the country's most dominant defensive tackle so far in 2010 and is worthy of a first-round selection. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

badboy

Hall of Fame
I could not mock Fairley late 1st. plus this mock considers only senior prospects. When he makes his decision known I'll take the body of his work & project him forward. there is no doubt he could help Texans front four. Right now he projects Top 10 in 2012. I think he would be ideal as a 3-4 DE/DT. He kinda dominates like Richard Seymour when he played @ Georgia who also had a great DL & he was selected 6th overall, he is that kind of DT/DE who can press the edge & create lanes for OLB's. Hence he is more than just a run plugger & is athletic enough to fit various schemes.
I definitely agree he can play both 4-3 and 3-4. Kid is just that good.

Rey

I hear what you're saying, but I just think a good DT is a bigger priority for this team vs a good DE. We already have a DE that we rotate to the DT spot.

Not only that, but you are making an assumption about picking up a DE and being able to move them to DT in passing situations. Connor Barwin is a DE that we took, but he is not a guy that you would move down to the DT position. Antonio Smith has the skill set to do so, but it is not guaranteed that any DE we take will be able to do so.

I don't think you can look at the situation in a vacuum. Otherwise we'd always just get any old DT and always place a supreme priority on DE's. I think you have to look at a teams situation.

I think if we can add a dominant or even semi-dominant DT to this mix that we already have then it would make us better defensively.

Of course, if there is a DE on the board who's value is much higher than any other prospect then you take him.

But that really has little to do with what positions we need to fill the most.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
I hear what you're saying, but I just think a good DT is a bigger priority for this team vs a good DE. We already have a DE that we rotate to the DT spot.

Not only that, but you are making an assumption about picking up a DE and being able to move them to DT in passing situations. Connor Barwin is a DE that we took, but he is not a guy that you would move down to the DT position. Antonio Smith has the skill set to do so, but it is not guaranteed that any DE we take will be able to do so.

I don't think you can look at the situation in a vacuum. Otherwise we'd always just get any old DT and always place a supreme priority on DE's. I think you have to look at a teams situation.

I think if we can add a dominant or even semi-dominant DT to this mix that we already have then it would make us better defensively.

Of course, if there is a DE on the board who's value is much higher than any other prospect then you take him.
DT CJ Wilson, ECU who I'd rated 4th/5th rd. slipped in last years draft to the 7th rd. taken by Green Bay. Guess what because of injury he has started the last two games & looked damn good doing it. I think he had like 8 tackles second most on the team last week behind Hawk. He blew up a couple key plays on Peterson & the Vikings. Point is it's easier to find value later because teams struggle evaluating the position. In the Texans scheme he is the perfect example of what your describing a strongside DE who can flip inside to tackle, ala Antonio Smith.

But that really has little to do with what positions we need to fill the most.
I really don't understand how you can make this statement when PASS RUSH is needed above any other area for this team to move forward. Despite spending two first round picks on DT's & one third they still have not impacted the pass rush. Yet the only accomplishment pass rushing wise was the one first round pick, still on the roster (Babin is doing fine in Tennessee with 6 sacks thank you) is Mario. Funny how the highly anticipated pass rush became non-existant once Barwin was lost for the season (into next year as well) & people still don't think the Texans need to invest in another high quality pass rusher?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Pass rushing DE is a must

Cb/S are huge needs also.

That's why I'm all for trading into the bottonm of the 1st rd. In addition to what I hope is a low 1st rd pick that is the Texans

Kerrigan or Bowers would be my choice.

Then with the 2nd first rd pick taking a guy like Jimmy Smith would be ideal. (Love this pick BL)

Then you could fix the LB's in FA and the rest of the draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
DT CJ Wilson, ECU who I'd rated 4th/5th rd. slipped in last years draft to the 7th rd. taken by Green Bay. Guess what because of injury he has started the last two games & looked damn good doing it. I think he had like 8 tackles second most on the team last week behind Hawk. He blew up a couple key plays on Peterson & the Vikings. Point is it's easier to find value later because teams struggle evaluating the position. In the Texans scheme he is the perfect example of what your describing a strongside DE who can flip inside to tackle, ala Antonio Smith.

I really don't understand how you can make this statement when PASS RUSH is needed above any other area for this team to move forward. Despite spending two first round picks on DT's & one third they still have not impacted the pass rush. Yet the only accomplishment pass rushing wise was the one first round pick, still on the roster (Babin is doing fine in Tennessee with 6 sacks thank you) is Mario. Funny how the highly anticipated pass rush became non-existant once Barwin was lost for the season (into next year as well) & people still don't think the Texans need to invest in another high quality pass rusher?
Might the bolded have more to do with whom they drafted? Okoye was purely hype & some thought he should be taken much, much later and TJ? snicker. Were not most of us a bit surprised when Mitchell was selected in third? And then most of us went HARUMPH oh yeah he is fast. I say fast. He will beat out Okoye game one. That still has not happened. I say our defensive philosphy is screwy. My focus is for DTs to first stop the run and second to push the pocket or at least tie up more than one opponent sort of like a nose tackle does in a 3-4. The DEs should get the sacks when the QB is forced out by the collapsing pocket or when a DE beats the O for a quick trip to QB land. We now have three very good ends; Mario, Barwin and Smith. Barwin should be back based upon what we know and if you want insurance in draft, cool but mocking one now before we know Barwin's status might be compared to mocking Fairley before he has commited. :pop: (wink)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Pass rushing DE is a must

Cb/S are huge needs also.

That's why I'm all for trading into the bottonm of the 1st rd. In addition to what I hope is a low 1st rd pick that is the Texans

Kerrigan or Bowers would be my choice.

Then with the 2nd first rd pick taking a guy like Jimmy Smith would be ideal. (Love this pick BL)

Then you could fix the LB's in FA and the rest of the draft.
Interesting. If you are using our own first late for Kerrigan or Bowers and our second for Smith (my pick also) what are you giving up to trade up into first round for another pick? You would have to give up a third and a 1st and 2nd next year imo. Unless you were talking about trading down & using that for a DE and getting an extra pick?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Might the bolded have more to do with whom they drafted? Okoye was purely hype & some thought he should be taken much, much later and TJ? snicker. Were not most of us a bit surprised when Mitchell was selected in third? And then most of us went HARUMPH oh yeah he is fast. I say fast. He will beat out Okoye game one. That still has not happened. I say our defensive philosphy is screwy. My focus is for DTs to first stop the run and second to push the pocket or at least tie up more than one opponent sort of like a nose tackle does in a 3-4. The DEs should get the sacks when the QB is forced out by the collapsing pocket or when a DE beats the O for a quick trip to QB land. We now have three very good ends; Mario, Barwin and Smith. Barwin should be back based upon what we know and if you want insurance in draft, cool but mocking one now before we know Barwin's status might be compared to mocking Fairley before he has commited. :pop: (wink)
trick or treat

beerlover

Hall of Fame
WOW, how bout' them Texans after playing Colts, do their needs change? Newly aquired DE Mark Anderson had the Texans only sack, Eugene Wilson played one of his best games to date as Texans FS, but Duane Brown & the OL in general blew. So here is a follow-up of information, for those interested, on Ben Ijalana -

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85820&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG

this is from Mayock-

Ijalana, a 6-4, 320-pound tackle, is a four-year starter at Villanova.

He's projected by CBSSports.com as the fourth-best prospect at guard for the 2011 NFL draft, behind Florida State's Rodney Hudson, Florida's Mike Pouncey, and Miami's Orlando Franklin.

Mayock said most NFL teams gave the Wildcat a third-round grade.

"He's barely 6-foot-4, but he's got long arms," said Mayock, who thinks Ijalana is suited to play left tackle in the NFL. "He's got real good feet. And in a pass-first league, he's the kind of tackle teams are looking for."
Scout, Wes Bunting-

Small schooler is dominant
Watching the Villanova/Richmond matchup this weekend was fun on a couple levels because when you get these two teams together the overall talent level is good enough to definitely compete and even beat a fair amount of the FBS teams that are out there. But, from an NFL prospect type view, there is also one guy who is really starting to shine above the rest and that’s ‘Nova OG Benjamin Ijalana. Ijalana is a big, 6-4, 320-pound kid who can bend and block with leverage in the run game as well as sit into his stance and anchor vs. the pass. However, he really stood out on the move to me this weekend when asked to pull, get out to the second level as he absolutely demolished downhill attacking defenders with a compact punch and powerful leg drive. But, like any small-school prospect, he is raw, especially as a pass blocker and has a tendency to simply stand upright off the snap, extend his long arms and lock out. However, he’s a good enough athlete to certainly be a player in the NFL — I see him more as a guard — as he still has a lot of upside to his game. His athleticism, physical skill set and willingness to finish blocks and dominate are all NFL-worthy attributes and he looks like a dirty starter (year two starter) at the next level to me at this stage.
I watched a little of Nova's National Championship game last year & Ben really stood out to me as a legitimate NFL LT. He dominates his competition (not elite level) like Ryan Clady did at Bose State, he also pancake's opponents. When creating this mock, I always beleive in addressing the trenches early, as you can read from the scouts most project him as one of the better OG prospects but with issues Texans had @ both tackle positions stopping that Colt pass rush Texans still need to address Matt Schaub's protection, especially if Rashad Butler (3rd. rd. pick of Carolina)leaves via free agency, Kubiak "he deserves a big contract from someone" meaning the cost is too high for Texans to resign him? He should also grade out higher by Texans because he is the athletic, versatile lineman they covet.

Just my insight as to why in the hell I would spend another 3rd rd. pick on the OL. :)

badboy

Hall of Fame
WOW, how bout' them Texans after playing Colts, do their needs change? Newly aquired DE Mark Anderson had the Texans only sack, Eugene Wilson played one of his best games to date as Texans FS, but Duane Brown & the OL in general blew. So here is a follow-up of information, for those interested, on Ben Ijalana -

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85820&draftyear=2011&genpos=OG

this is from Mayock-

Scout, Wes Bunting-

I watched a little of Nova's National Championship game last year & Ben really stood out to me as a legitimate NFL LT. He dominates his competition (not elite level) like Ryan Clady did at Bose State, he also pancake's opponents. When creating this mock, I always beleive in addressing the trenches early, as you can read from the scouts most project him as one of the better OG prospects but with issues Texans had @ both tackle positions stopping that Colt pass rush Texans still need to address Matt Schaub's protection, especially if Rashad Butler (3rd. rd. pick of Carolina)leaves via free agency, Kubiak "he deserves a big contract from someone" meaning the cost is too high for Texans to resign him? He should also grade out higher by Texans because he is the athletic, versatile lineman they covet.

Just my insight as to why in the hell I would spend another 3rd rd. pick on the OL. :)
Are you concerned about the following since we now have a good running games?
Mayock said. "You would rather see him be more aggressive in the run game, because he's borderline, height-wise." As a result, Mayock doesn't think Ijalana blocks well enough to play right tackle or guard in the NFL. But "he's fortunate because he's got the natural gift of long arms and good feet," the draft analyst said. "

If I was to use a 3rd on an Olineman to replace Butler I think he'd have to be able to play OG at least and probably RT. I am used to college LTs being converted to RT not the other way around.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Are you concerned about the following since we now have a good running games?
Mayock said. "You would rather see him be more aggressive in the run game, because he's borderline, height-wise." As a result, Mayock doesn't think Ijalana blocks well enough to play right tackle or guard in the NFL. But "he's fortunate because he's got the natural gift of long arms and good feet," the draft analyst said. "

If I was to use a 3rd on an Olineman to replace Butler I think he'd have to be able to play OG at least and probably RT. I am used to college LTs being converted to RT not the other way around.
His run blocking has improved, in my opinion, to the point he is dominant, but take that with a grain of salt because of the compeition he lines up against. However he appears to have become decisive in his assingments & seals off the edge or interior very well, good enough to fit here in either position. not a concern to me at all, the only thing I worry about is his stock flying into the 2nd rd.

badboy

Hall of Fame
His run blocking has improved, in my opinion, to the point he is dominant, but take that with a grain of salt because of the compeition he lines up against. However he appears to have become decisive in his assingments & seals off the edge or interior very well, good enough to fit here in either position. not a concern to me at all, the only thing I worry about is his stock flying into the 2nd rd.
As always, I trust your evals but I am not going Oline until I see how Duane and Eric do the remainder of the season. Let's pray we can remove Oline from our needs. I am also hopeful Butler may be re-signed economically. This surprises me as I've not been a fan until he stepped in for Brown. I would really prefer to draft all D and maybe throw a QB in.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
As always, I trust your evals but I am not going Oline until I see how Duane and Eric do the remainder of the season. Let's pray we can remove Oline from our needs. I am also hopeful Butler may be re-signed economically. This surprises me as I've not been a fan until he stepped in for Brown. I would really prefer to draft all D and maybe throw a QB in.
I'm not sure about my eval sometimes myself but your right about one thing - the Texans will need to throw in a QB if they don't address the OL :winky:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
if Badboy lets me....I'll progress with my "BYE WEEK" picks :tiphat:

would like to add some information on 2nd rd. selection Temple FS Jaiquawn Jarrett. The reason I went so early with this position is A) Texans need B) It's not a deep class. If Troy was the answer he would be playing. Eugene Wilson had his best game I can remember against the Colts & demonstrated how a FS needs to support CB's, but I still question his ball skills & ability to wrap up in the open field. Even if the Texans draft FS high in the draft it's not neccesarily a good idea to start a rookie in the secondary, example Kareem. Eugene still begins the season as starter but when he gets banged up, as he does, Jaiquawn gets his shot & unlike Nolan doesn't relinquish PT.

from scouts notebook, Wes Bunting
Senior safety has improved
I’ve been on the Jaiquawn Jarrett bandwagon ever since I first saw the Temple safety as a sophomore back in 2008. At 6-0, 197 pounds, he plays with impressive body control and balance in his drop, is fluid when asked to get in and out of his breaks and does a really nice job playing the football in the deep half of the field. Overall, he looked liked one of the cleanest athletes in space in the safety class and showed enough to warrant a potential starter grade based off his summer tape. However, he looks to have improved his game even further this season answering two big questions I had about him coming into the year.

1. Can he improve as a tackler?
2. Can he improve his overall feel in zone coverage recognizing routes and getting earlier jumps on the football?

And so far up to this point the answer has been yes on both counts. He looks more physical attacking downhill in the run game, as he takes good angles, sees what he hits and has displayed a little more thump as a wrap-up guy. And when asked to play in zone, he’s doing a much better job feeling routes develop around him and quickly closing on the football. Now, the one knock on him is that he isn’t the most explosive of straight-line athletes and lacks idea make-up range, which is true, as he doesn’t look like a guy who will run in the low 4.4 range. However, I certainly think he is fast enough because of his ability to cleanly redirect and change directions to make plays in an NFL secondary, as he looks like one of the top senior safety prospects in the nation in my opinion.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
nice article on FS Jaiquawn Jarrett - http://www.owlsports.com/news/2010/11/18/FB_1118104258.aspx

“What Jaiquawn brings to the team is unbelievable,” D’Onofrio said. “He’s a tremendous leader. He’s not a guy who’s naturally vocal in front of a big group, but he does whatever he has to do to help get the team ready. The biggest thing he does is lead by example with his preparation, the way he practices, and obviously the way he plays on gameday. He’s been a security blanket here for us for four years.”

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Texans have lost 5 out of their last 6 falling to 5-7 since "BYE" week (which was supposed to be "IMPROVEMENT" week). My pre-season prediction of 8-8 is still in play however Texans will need to win 3 out of 4 to finish @ .500

what to do :kubepalm:

Texans have lost 5 out of their last 6 falling to 5-7 since "BYE" week (which was supposed to be "IMPROVEMENT" week). My pre-season prediction of 8-8 is still in play however Texans will need to win 3 out of 4 to finish @ .500

what to do :kubepalm:
Texans at 5-7 currently.
Remaining Schedule:
Ravens
Titans
Jaguars
Broncos

I see them losing to the Ravens. The D is too good and Flaco can sling the ball. A very balanced team.

For the Titans game, Collins returns. He could shred our D. I see them losing.

For whatever reason, the Texans play the Jags well. I see the Texans managing to get the W here.

Broncos are a weak team. They don't really have anything besides a run game. I see the Texans winning here.

So, I am predicting a 2-2 finish and a 7-9 record. 7-9 will earn Kubiak another year, but Bush will be replaced.