Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Orlando Pace a Texan? | Day 1 Unfolds

He is good but would cost us a whole lot of money when we are trying to stay young. On the other hand ask any NFL expert and they will put Orlando Pace as in the top 5 tackles in the league. I would not be hurt to see him protecting Carr's blindside, but for the price we will have to give him and what we will have to give up it is not likely to be worth it, if he is traded look for him to go to the Giants who are in desperate need of OL help even more so than we are

Cost, cost, cost.....it will determin if we can/should do this. Love it if it doesn't put behind the eightball. Think Sharper might be part of it some way?

Yea, right Cass, you're not going to do squat in FA this year. I mean odds
are against a deal being worked out, but he's not flying down here to tour
the Museum of Fine Arts over there by the Warrick. So we can just forget about what he's said about his intentions regarding the draft because its all a smoke screen with Cass.
As far as taking this guy, it would be far and away our most significant FA
acquisition. It would be huge.

I'd send them Sharper, Wand and our first pick....but that may not be enough. Give Foreman a broom and perhaps he could clean up their locker rooms too. He has some sort of value. :heh:

That would be paying to much for Orlando. We WILL draft a Tackle in the draft so it would be paying way to much. I am still sold on CASS making a package that involves sharper our first and one of our thirds in order to move up in the draft if DJ is still available.

Nobody knows what we WILL do, and franchise Tackles are very rare. They are not in every draft (like this year as an example).

Vinny said:
I'd send them Sharper, Wand and our first pick....but that may not be enough. Give Foreman a broom and perhaps he could clean up their locker rooms too. He has some sort of value. :heh:
That's a lot to pay for a 30 year old premadona who usually doesn't start attending practice until the regular season begins, but yea, its probably the bullet we have to bite to pick up a top tier LT like this guy. I figured the old
man (McNair) would get his 2 cents worth in to take care of his boy DC.
Remember the last thing he said right after the final game with the Browns -
Carr will be our QB for a long time and we need to do something about protecting him.

You are crazy if you don't think that Pace is not worth it. We've spent 3 seasons now trying to shore up the line since the Boselli failure. I just feel that this is going to cost our defense severely with any trades involving Sharper. I'm not keen on revamping the defense yet again this year.

nunusguy said:
That's a lot to pay for a 30 year old premadona who usually doesn't start attending practice until the regular season begins, but yea, its probably the bullet we have to bite to pick up a top tier LT like this guy. I figured the old
man (McNair) would get his 2 cents worth in to take care of his boy DC.
Remember the last thing he said right after the final game with the Browns -
Carr will be our QB for a long time and we need to do something about protecting him.
I think that the Rams would have to replace Pace or the deal may not happen. There are no franchise LT's in this draft and we have a nice prospect in Wand. Sharper is gone anyway so what we would be doing is giving up Wand for Pace as our first round pick. All pure speculation by me, but it would be worth it. The first thing I would do is find out what Bruce Matthews ate and start force feeding him as soon as he signed the contract. :heh:

We are not drafting a franchise tackle just a functional one look at Shane Olivea for the Chargers or Nat Dorsey for the Vikes if you want to check it out.

Fanball

Another article on it.

"News
Rams' offensive tackle Orlando Pace is visiting with the Texans on Monday in hopes of facilitating a trade, according to ESPN reporter John Clayton. Pace has been discussing a long-term contract with the Rams, but he would also accept a trade. The Rams have until March 16 to sign Pace or he will not be able to negotiate with the team until July 15. Rams' head coach Mike Martz has indicated in recent weeks that he is not keen on the idea of using the franchise tag on Pace for a third consecutive year.

Views
The Rams are seeking at least a first-round pick in exchange for their franchise lineman. We can only assume that Texans' quarterback David Carr is begging for this trade to happen after being sacked 49 times last year. On the flip side, Marc Bulger was sacked 50 times even with Pace in the lineup last season, so we can't even imagine how lousy his offensive line would be without the veteran left tackle."

Thats an easy thing to say [wait another year] when your not the guy having to take the snap between the tackles.

Why not ask DC what he thinks about the idea to solidy the LT position with a premier LT like Pace? I bet he would be jumping up and down crazy kind of happy.

A little off topic - The QB position has alot of factors to consider, but one thing I think thats almost ultimately important overall is 'Confidence' and in this case i'm talking confidence in those guys around him to dothir job and protect him. IMO we give DC an LT he is confident enough to turn his back to and I'll bet you will see a breakout Pro-bowl type of season for him. OF course I must also admit - the rest of the line playin gwell will certainly facotr into that also. :)

I think it would be worth it. Everyone that doesnt want him only says that he cost to much. It sounds like you all want something for nothing. This is a top 3 left tackle here. A first round overall pick. He isnt going to be traded for nothing; and for good reason.

I would jump at the chance to land Pace. IMO left tackle might be the single most important position on a team. That is why 24 of the other 31 teams have 1st rounders playing the position. It is the foundation of the offense. If you have a subpar LT, your line will most definitely have problems. If your line has problems, the offense will struggle. You get the idea.

according to espn, for a deal to be worked out it would have to be two 1st round picks, or a 1st and more (players). I just think its too much for a tackle. Seth Wand wasnt the problem on o-line.....its was mckinney and the time it took for them to get the zone blocking scheme down. No way do i give up the 13th pick.

I would want to hang onto Wand if possible. A young tackle with experience and some up side. The first, one of the 3rds and Sharper (a first round quality guy, but not going to get one) and if needed a third from next years draft. The real fly in this ointment is that BOTH Pace and Sharper probably would have to re-do their deals before both teams would accept them. The clock will drive this along quicker than usual as it has to get done by I think midnight tomorrow or nothing can be done until June 15. Puts a little pressure on everyone to move along. Also, Pace just hired new reps and they will want to move it along for their new client. He is looking for a long term, probably 6-7 years and a BIG bonus around 20 Mill. At 29-30 years old we could resonably expect 4-6 years of good play. Not sure how badly this would affect the cap issue.

He would be our line's anchor for at least 5 years, why would we still need Wand? I would think Wand would be part of the trade.

You all have to look at the overall ramifications of acquiring pace.
1. Houston will not have a 1st round pick
2. Future Salary Cap will suffer
3. Our overall Depth at all positions will be decreased
4. Pace tends to break down as the season wears on due to bad workout regime
Positives
1. A Book end LT that will protect DC for at least 4 yrs (we still need a RT)
2. Boost to overall confidence (worth two spots)

The Cons out weigh the Pros to this deal. I think adding an explosive rookie on D and O plus a two-punch for DD in the backfield, and an upgrade at TE will have just as much or more effect than acquiring Pace

Pace is so worth it! Carr better be pulling for him bigtime. Here is the ESPN take:

Mar. 14 - With time running out to get a long-term deal with the Rams, Orlando Pace and his new agent, Kennard McGuire, are trying to facilitate a trade to the Texans, ESPN.com's John Clayton reports. Pace and McGuire flew to Houston on Monday.
The Rams have until March 16 to finalize a new contract with Pace, a franchise player, before a four-month negotiating blackout period begins. That Pace is visiting Houston likely means he doubts any long-term financial resolution can be reached with the Rams.

A multiyear deal for Pace, who currently counts $8.425 million against St. Louis' salary cap, could trim $3 million or more from that cap figure.

33 people viewing this thread...SHOCKING!! :heh:

Man, it would be nice to get Pace to block for Carr. He wouldn't get touched with that guy watching his back. That said, I hate trading 1st round picks. :(

But to get something, you gotta give something, so oh well. MAKE IT HAPPEN BIG C! :thumbup

cadahnic said:
Positives

The Cons out weigh the Pros to this deal. I think adding an explosive rookie on D and O plus a two-punch for DD in the backfield, and an upgrade at TE will have just as much or more effect than acquiring Pace

Not necessarily. What do we truly need huge cap space for if we have minimal holes to fill? We draft depth at DL, WR and CB. What else is there?? Possibly TE, but who knows where Joppru will end up.

Everyone is thinking that Pace is the end all of end alls. He is in the Top 5 of LT likely number 4 or 5. In case you all did not realize Pace's Quarterback was sacked more times than Carr and Pace gave up some of those. Pace is definately the best player the Texans have ever signed but he COST TOO MUCH!!

It is a catch 22!!

cadahnic said:
Positives
Amend Positives to read:
3. With premeire LT, Texans now legit playoff contender beginning in Fall-2005

cadahnic said:
I think adding an explosive rookie on D and O plus a two-punch for DD in the backfield, and an upgrade at TE will have just as much or more effect than acquiring Pace

What makes you think our rookies will be explosive? At least with Pace, you know what to expect from him...

We are a Legit Playoff contender without Pace. You realize that if we would have won three of our games namely Detroit, Cleveland, and Green BAy, we would have been in the playoffs instead of the Broncos.

I am thinking that 2 first rounders are just the START of negotiations. I think it would eventually be worked to cost us our 13, plus maybe 3rd this year. Or 13, plus a player or 2nd next year.

Explosive would mean adding speed, nasty nature, and youth to those positions. You know those things when you draft people. I mean everyone knew that D-Rob had a cocky nasty nature, we measured his speed in drills and he is young damn no wonder he was that good.

ThirdEyeBC32 said:
I say do it! Except I don't know about the 1st round this year. Will they accept next years 1st? 35 viewing :heh:
Next year should be a stronger draft class. I'd rather give up this years pick instead of next seasons and take one of the solid second tier prospects with our second round pick as our first selection.

Im against giving up a first round pick, however, I dont think theres a player at 13 who can come in and provide that immediate impact as a rookie that Pace will provide im his first season here. And you never know, maybe cass will trade back into the 1st round like he did last yr if he gives up this yrs #1 pick....or maybe he'll trade a 2006 #1 pick, ill be all for that.

cadahnic said:
Explosive would mean adding speed, nasty nature, and youth to those positions. You know those things when you draft people. I mean everyone knew that D-Rob had a cocky nasty nature, we measured his speed in drills and he is young damn no wonder he was that good.

My point is that you can get a pro-bowl talent on your team. Or we can spend it on a rookie, who will eventually be good, or a bust.

Ok that makes since DC. I understand your perspective but if we are going to do this then we are going to give up alot more than what we are going to get. But who knows maybe CC will make the trade and we will get great picks with the rest of the draft. Building through the draft is just my personal view of how to build a great franchise. Eventhough I think Minnesota might spoil that view.

cadahnic said:
You realize that if we would have won three of our games namely Detroit, Cleveland, and Green BAy, we would have been in the playoffs instead of the Broncos.

And if your aunt had balls, she would be your uncle.

left tackle wasnt the problem on o-line though....the defense was horrible, offensive playcalling was too conservative, mchinney and weigert had subpar yrs. There are too many holes to fill on this team. Pace would want a huge contract extension which means there would be too much money invested in 0-line (wade, weigert, pace) Its always safer to build the team through the draft , the patriots and eagles set the blueprint. Cass just has to learn to draft better....he cant draft anymore charles hills, bennie joppru's, dave ragones, tony hollings, or fred wearys.

For comparison:

Willie Roaf--KC: 5, 5, 5
Walter Jones--Seatle: 0, 8.5, 2.5
Jonathon Odgen--Baltimore: 2.5, 3.25, 2
Tarik Glenn--Indy: 1, 3.5, 6
Matt Lepsis--Denver: 2.5, 2, 9
Chad Clifton--GB: 2, 2, 1
Matt Light--NE: 7.5, 3.5, 11.5

We're speculating up to now because (as far as we know) nothing has happened. But something that really kind of worries me is just how much they
might give up to get this guy. I think most of us would agree that they paid a healthy premium for Todd Wade last year. If they start talking about giving up this years and next years first round pick - then you're maybe doing something real stupid like the Vikings did way back when they traded their future to the Cowboys to get H. Walker.

I agree. I do think Pace would be a great addition if we can get him at a premium, but if not then we are definately overpaying for him. But the likely hood is we will cut him in 4-6 years

cadahnic said:
Building through the draft is just my personal view of how to build a great franchise. Eventhough I think Minnesota might spoil that view.

I agree with you here. I dont want to go out and overpay a bunch of FA. But when I guy like Pace is on the block, I will bend the rules. Either way im happy.

My gut says it wont happen. And we will use the 1st pick on an OLB, like Merriman.

DC_ROCK said:
I agree with you here. I dont want to go out and overpay a bunch of FA. But when I guy like Pace is on the block, I will bend the rules. Either way im happy.

My gut says it wont happen. And we will use the 1st pick on an OLB, like Merriman.

Merriman? Haven't u heard...people are putting him up there with DJ @ "best LB in the draft", hell some people have him @ #3 to CLE.

^^^that wasn't to mess over ur point, I was simply lettin you know what the "experts" were thinking.

Pace already plays for the Texans on my Madden game. I signed him through
FA. I payed him big money and hes doing very well. :woot

HI everyone i am a rams fan, but not a troll. I got word on our message board that there is a possible Trade in the making between your texans and my rams?? who are you all willing to give up for Pace, im just wondering because i can't seem to find any links to the info. AND BY THE WAY..BEWARE, OF WHAT YOU ALL ARE GETTING INTO, PACE HAS HELD US HOSTAGE FOR THE LAST 3 SEASONS...IF YOU DON'T THROW ANY MONEY ON THE TABLE HIS FAT ***** WILL HOLD OUT ON TRAINING CAMP!

jermaine133 said:
AND BY THE WAY..BEWARE, OF WHAT YOU ALL ARE GETTING INTO, PACE HAS HELD US HOSTAGE FOR THE LAST 3 SEASONS...IF YOU DON'T THROW ANY MONEY ON THE TABLE HIS FAT ***** WILL HOLD OUT ON TRAINING CAMP!

Well if we trade for him, we will sign him to a long term deal. So he wont have to hold out.

Back