Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Dec. 2009 Gerhart Article; Interesting Look Back

eriadoc

Texan-American
A friend of mine sent this to me, and it's dated Dec. 18, 2009. He makes some good points, but the board is way different at this point.

LINK

First, Toby Gerhart is a future starting NFL tailback, not a FB or H-back. I came to that decision not this season, but in 2008 when Gerhart rushed for over 100 yards against a USC defense that had eight guys drafted last year, had nearly 1,200 yards on the season, and this was without a passing game.

The NFL scout websites have his speed estimated from a 4.48 to a 4.65. I personally believe that Gerhart would run between 4.55 and 4.58 at his pro day, which is good speed for a 235 lb. TB who will probably add 5-10 more lbs as he gets older.

With that out of the way, here are some teams who should strongly consider drafting Gerhart and why. Yes, Gerhart will be a first round draft pick, and I also believe that in the right situation he would start as a rookie.

As to the first, I agree. He's played well against guys that have gone on to the NFL and against some good PAC-10 teams. As for the second bolded, I believe Gerhart ended up running a 4.5 40, so a tad bit faster than this guy projected.

3. Houston Texans. Why? They have hands down the worst group of RBs in the NFL that are dragging down an otherwise good offense. Also, Gerhart would be a Terrell Davis-type runner for Houston's Denver Broncos-type scheme.

Why not? There is no reason. The Texans have a lot of needs, but RB is by far the biggest. Plus, unlike Cleveland, the Texans will be in a region of the draft where Gerhart will make sense.

If Anthony Dixon is not on the board and the Texans decide the same thing about C.J. Spiller that Clemson did-that he is not an every down tailback-then Houston should do their best to trade up to get him.

Two points here: 1.) I would like to see Gerhart on our stretch play. I think it would be a thing of beauty. 2.) Not a big Spiller fan, either. I know this is the type of back that people fall in love with, but I'm just not sold.

Nice find. I will be downright ecstatic if the Texans draft this guy. Ecstatic.

Also, I would take just about anyone over Dwyer. The stench of bust is upon him. Out of the highly talked about backs, I see him having the worst career.

Also, I would take just about anyone over Dwyer. The stench of bust is upon him. Out of the highly talked about backs, I see him having the worst career.

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty interested in Tate also, but I think Gerhart is the best value in the draft.

Nice find. I will be downright ecstatic if the Texans draft this guy. Ecstatic.

Though I don't quite share your "man love" for DT Jeff Owens (I do like him better than the other undersized DT's), I do have to agree with you about Gerhart. I just have that feeling he will have a great career, especially after watching a few of Stanford's games last year. Kubes and Smith say they want a physical hard nosed runner, you can't find any better than Gerhart IMO.

If they go DB in the 1st and get Gerhart in the 2nd, and yes Owens in the 4th/5th, and the FS Johnson in the 4th/5th, I'd be happy. :hurrah:

All the talk about a physical running game points at a Gerhart type back more than a Mathews type back.

I'd be more than happy to fill another need round one and then get Gerhart round two.

Back