Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-13-2010   #1
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McNair talk about free agents/players

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIDitCG3HOI

I didn't know where to put this so please move it if necessary.
redwhiteANDblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Labor: Bob McNair's Words Ring Hollow while NFL Books Still Closed

Quote:
According to Houston Texans' owner Bob McNair, the NFL needs a bailout, and NFL teams are running out of money.

When asked why teams were not spending on free agents, McNair replied, "Most teams are stressed economically and do not have the money."

In today's economy, this is a believable statement, even coming from one of America's richest men.

Bob McNair was wealthy long before the Houston Texans—electricity, real estate, and biotechnology investments gave him more than enough money to bring the league's 32nd team to Houston.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3...s-still-closed
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #3
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: NFL Labor: Bob McNair's Words Ring Hollow while NFL Books Still Closed

wahhhh wahhhh
i have only increased the value of my franchise $500 million in 8 years
wahhhh wahhhh

when we don't have football in 2011, you can thank McNair to a large extent

it seems like the other owners have money to bring in new players while retaining their own...what up McNair? what are they doing that you arent' doing? maybe they know that putting money into the product will deliver returns. i just hope McNair being the face of the greedy owners isn't going to hurt us in UFA and our own contract negotiations/talent recruiting. you gotta pay to play Bob....thought you would have learned after 8 years....but you hit 9-7...throw a freaking parade

is it just poor management or poor ownership...or both

i cant believe this guy is whining about money as an NFL owner...they are making money hand over fist on the TV deal alone

i guess 1/2 a billion in 8 years just isn't enough of a return on his investment...whatever Bob

its just pathetic for billionaires to yell poverty and ask for bailouts or rollbacks or whatever...just pathetic
Old 04-14-2010   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Labor: Bob McNair's Words Ring Hollow while NFL Books Still Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
wahhhh wahhhh
wahhhh wahhhh

it seems like the other owners have money to bring in new players while retaining their own...what up McNair? what are they doing that you arent' doing? maybe they know that putting money into the product will deliver returns. i just hope McNair being the face of the greedy owners isn't going to hurt us in UFA and our own contract negotiations/talent recruiting. you gotta pay to play Bob....thought you would have learned after 8 years....but you hit 9-7...throw a freaking parade

i cant believe this guy is whining about money as an NFL owner...they are making money hand over fist on the TV deal alone

i guess 1/2 a billion in 8 years just isn't enough of a return on his investment...whatever Bob

its just pathetic for billionaires to yell poverty and ask for bailouts or rollbacks or whatever...just pathetic
Is bob the only owner in the NFL or are there 31 others? I forgot .. ''

(I took the whole article as what the owners as a whole were thinking (being Bob is on the committee))

Quote:
Does the NFLPA trust the NFL in saying that is it really paying its fair share—60 percent?

The only number that the NFLPA knows concretely is the total revenue—the number used to calculate the salary cap. However, the number in question is how much of that total revenue is expenditure and how much is operating profit.

The only open books in the NFL are those of the Green Bay Packers—publicly held by shareholders (i.e. the people of Green Bay, Wis.). The Packers had an operating profit of $20.1 million in the 2009 fiscal year.

The Packers are a small-market team, ranking 17th in the NFL in terms of total worth.

Forbes estimates the operating income of the Washington Redskins, the second-ranked franchise, at $90.3 million.

But the NFLPA can't go off of Forbes' estimations and is forced to accept what the NFL says it owes. As the NFL continues to grow—exponentially by many estimations—the NFLPA has no idea what their share should be.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #5
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Bob also forgot to mention that free agency might be slow because when the best cornerback FA on the market was Dunta Robinson, it's an extremely weak-ass FA class.
Old 04-14-2010   #6
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Is bob the only owner in the NFL or are there 31 others? I forgot .. ''

I took the whole article as what the owners as a whole were thinking ..
Meh, Bob did what he needed to do and that was get rid of an overpriced, average at best, player and retain the services of the guys we need with the exception of OD... And that will get done.
Old 04-14-2010   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I should be amazed that the cut and paste version of this got attention when the full was ignored. Threads will be merged

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71075
Old 04-14-2010   #8
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
wahhhh wahhhh
wahhhh wahhhh

Just because the value of the team has increased doesn't mean that he is richer right now. Before the Real Estate bubble burst my house increased in value, but since I wasn't selling it it's just value on paper. After the bubble burst my house is worth less than I owe, so am I rich now? Hell no, I've lost my ass, but I took a risk by buying a house.

Bob McNair is entitled to make a profit, it doesn't matter if it's 1% or 50%. If he's not making more than 6% a year, he might as well sell the team and invest is something with a safe 6% yield. Bob took all the risk with his money so he is entilted to the money, that's capitalism!! If we don't like it we don't have to buy the product.

Is your stance that players don't make enough money, or just that Bob isn't running the team like Daniel Schneider in DC?

I haven't read the article yet, but I'm sure McNair was using a figure of speach about a "Bail Out".
Old 04-14-2010   #9
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 109428 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: McNair talk about free agents/players

I call BS on any owner crying poverty.

I'm not an accountant, but the NFL pulls in the following on their TV deals per season

1.1B from NBC and ESPN
plus 2.2B from the other networks (CBS, Fox) per season.

So the league earns approximately $300M per team just from their TV deals, which doesn't account for a dime on radio, merchandising, gate revenue etc.

So I'm going to pull out Mr. Pink's violin for Bud, Bob and the rest of these owners, that are trying to wage a PR war to shut down the NFLPA over rookie wages etc.

Sorry guys, I'm not listening, because you're full of crap.

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #10
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

One of the problems facing players is that they have VERY few options. In this case, most if not all the strength are with the owners. Yes players made a lot of $ are are multimillionaires, but players tend to also splurge and spend big $. How long can they really live large when they are not making any $? How much do they have in savings? Unless they were smart with their money or were in a Manning like contract, I am sure most if not all will have to make lifestyle adjustments.

In contrast many of the owners are BILLIONAIRES. They can easily ride out the storm and not have to make any real lifestyle changes. The other issue to consider is the players have no other football options. If their skill is playing football, where else can they go? Outside of the CFL and AFL II, what other football leagues are there? If you were a doctor and you did not like the working conditions at your hospital, after your contract was through, you could pick up and go to another hospital. If you are a WR, you don't have a lot of options available.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
One of the problems facing players is that they have VERY few options. In this case, most if not all the strength are with the owners. Yes players made a lot of $ are are multimillionaires, but players tend to also splurge and spend big $. How long can they really live large when they are not making any $? How much do they have in savings? Unless they were smart with their money or were in a Manning like contract, I am sure most if not all will have to make lifestyle adjustments.

In contrast many of the owners are BILLIONAIRES. They can easily ride out the storm and not have to make any real lifestyle changes. The other issue to consider is the players have no other football options. If their skill is playing football, where else can they go? Outside of the CFL and AFL II, what other football leagues are there? If you were a doctor and you did not like the working conditions at your hospital, after your contract was through, you could pick up and go to another hospital. If you are a WR, you don't have a lot of options available.
I'm all for players making all they can get while playing. What they make is a drop in the bucket compared to the owners and the league.

That's where it ends (and not flaming you here).

In defense of the billionaire owners, how many got rich from their teams? Wouldn't one have to have money before owning an NFL team. That means they were generally successful in business.

PLayers are afforded opportunities that none of us are. Most of them go to school - just like the rest of us. The difference? While their playing careers may get cut short, they had an opportunity to make way more money than a average college student that just graduated... I guess, at the end of the day, they'll have to manage their money better or, gasp, get a job and work for a living like the rest of us.
Old 04-15-2010   #12
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Just did the math if the Franchise is worth $1.2 Billion, then a 5% return on investment would be $60 million. So if the Skins are 2nd and bring in $90 million and the Packers are bringing in $20 million and are 17th, I would say that it's a good guesstimate for his profit would be around $60 million. A 5% profit from your investment is not really excessive.

I wouldn't feel bad for McNair if he was barely making a profit, but on the flip side I don't fault him for making millions. The NFL is not a charity.

I'm all for the players making every thing they can, but they are employees, and although they take a risk with their bodies and thus their careers, the employer is the one with all the exposure. If something were to happen and the Franchise was sued (I know this is far fetched, but it's the point.) who would pay, Bob, or the Players? Bob, would and could theoretically be bankrupted, while the players, and coaches would walk away to continue on.

This society needs to get it's hands out of each others pockets. Unless someone that is rich is taking advantage of people then they can do what ever the hell they want.
Old 04-15-2010   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125942 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Just did the math if the Franchise is worth $1.2 Billion, then a 5% return on investment would be $60 million. So if the Skins are 2nd and bring in $90 million and the Packers are bringing in $20 million and are 17th, I would say that it's a good guesstimate for his profit would be around $60 million. A 5% profit from your investment is not really excessive.

I wouldn't feel bad for McNair if he was barely making a profit, but on the flip side I don't fault him for making millions. The NFL is not a charity.

I'm all for the players making every thing they can, but they are employees, and although they take a risk with their bodies and thus their careers, the employer is the one with all the exposure. If something were to happen and the Franchise was sued (I know this is far fetched, but it's the point.) who would pay, Bob, or the Players? Bob, would and could theoretically be bankrupted, while the players, and coaches would walk away to continue on.

This society needs to get it's hands out of each others pockets. Unless someone that is rich is taking advantage of people then they can do what ever the hell they want.
I would be with you if Bob's team was a winning/playoff team.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

The characterization that Bob McNair is "whining about poverty" is a clear distortion. He was asked why more money hasn't been thrown around in free agency. Essentially, his answer is that budgets are tight. That's hardly a cry for sympathy. He's just answering the question as to why owners aren't spending like they have in the past.

give me a break!
dalemurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #15
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 64918 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Who owns the Packers?

The people of Green Bay? Wow. That sounds pretty frickin' kickass to me...
Old 04-15-2010   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Who owns the Packers?

That doesn't mean joe shmoe can walk into Ted Thompson's office and demand they trade their 1st rounder for Steven Jackson... its like shareholders in stock...
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #17
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 292321 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
That doesn't mean joe shmoe can walk into Ted Thompson's office and demand they trade their 1st rounder for Steven Jackson... its like shareholders in stock...
Agreed. If any given fan doesn't like the way the team is being run, he/she has the option to sell their Packer shares, take that money and do something else with it.

if we don't like the way the Texans are being run, we have the option to take our money and do something else with it

...like go watch the Astros

wait... errr, the Rockets?

no... ummm.... The Dynamo...??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010   #18
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
Who owns the Packers?

I wrk wth a guy from Wisconin, and he owns Packer Stock. That is petty kick ass. I also work with a Dallas Fan, and he always says "We made this trade, or we this and we that", and people that aren't NFL fans always mock him because he doesn't "own the team" so they say it's not his.

Wel if you own stock, it is your team. As another poster said, that truely kicks ass!!!
Old 04-15-2010   #19
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13222 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

I would absolutely LOVE it if I could just buy a 1/1000000000 of the team, does not matter that I would have zip influence, it would still be 'my' team!
Old 04-15-2010   #20
Section516 
Warrior

Rep Power: 20949 Section516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respectedSection516 is a quality contributor and well respected

Agreed.

But IIRC, this no longer can happen. The rules were changed and Green Bay was grandfathered in.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read