Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

People confuse me...

Section516

Warrior
Some post's saying woo playoffs so close, but DAMN we can't beat New England..

If we "have no hope" against NE, we have no reason being in the playoffs, and won't go far at all..

It's early and my coffee machine is broke, but still...

:roast:

Some post's saying woo playoffs so close, but DAMN we can't beat New England..

If we "have no hope" against NE, we have no reason being in the playoffs, and won't go far at all..

It's early and my coffee machine is broke, but still...

:roast:

And? :thinking:

And i think it should be one or the other..

Either have faith your team can beat NE, get into the playoffs, and play good ball...

Or give it up and quit livin' the dream of becoming the 2009 Cardinals.

Either have faith your team can beat NE, get into the playoffs, and play good ball...

Have you ever seen a message board in complete agreement? Kinda defeats the purpose of a message board, no?

Personally, I'm not counting on playoffs, but I'd like to at least see our first winning season.

I have no faith in a .500 team that plays two quarters of football, who would? However, I know we can beat NE. The confusion lies in which Texans team will show up, and will the Patriots play to win.

I'm not saying that.

I'm saying, you can't have it both ways.

You can't have it to where: Oh no the Texans can't beat the Pats, but should be in the playoffs.

Hmm... Let me do this one to myself.

"What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

Beating the Pats is only part of the problem, and there are a few who don't pay attention to that.

Houston is in ONLY if the following happens this weekend...

1. HOU win + NYJ loss or tie + BAL loss or tie OR

2. HOU win + NYJ loss or tie + DEN loss or tie OR

3. HOU win + BAL loss or tie + DEN loss or tie

Baltimore plays Oakland, Denver plays KC, and the Jets play the Bengals. The chances of 2 of those 3 losing considering this are highly unlikely. Cincy and the Pats have locked the 3 and 4 seed, it just matters whether or not either of them wants the 3rd bad enough. I can see both of those teams resting some players to some extent, so we'd really need a miracle and have Oakland and KC play spoilers. Rigoddamndiculous.

But I am hoping for this miracle none the less. Just not expecting it.

Have you ever seen a message board in complete agreement? Kinda defeats the purpose of a message board, no?

Personally, I'm not counting on playoffs, but I'd like to at least see our first winning season.

See, I don't care if we have our first winning season this year.

Because it's a phantom achievement.

This team isn't a piss-poor offense AND defense anymore. It's competent in terms of the offensive and defensive philosophies, as well as possessing enough talented players to compete in today's NFL.

But that doesn't override some glaring problems: Kubiak's divisional record, not winning games against "better" teams, and questionable roster choices and weekly preparation for opponents/gameday strategies.

People who want a winning record just say that to soothe themselves, as well as to avoid seeing the off-season sports media preview our team by saying "Texans in 2010 will try to have their first winning season in franchise history. 8-8, or less, in 2010 means big problems for fans and head coach Gary Kubiak."

9-7, or 8-8, is really NOT that different.

We still suck because our head coach, for four years, has the belief that his offense is just competing against itself and that if our players play well, and follow the plays given to them (i.e. Matt can't audible to anything but a run) then nobody can stop us.

The problem is that our divisional rivals know what to do against us, and it has worked like magic every time. Even a rookie head coach and rookie QB playing his first NFL game beat us. In our own house. On opening day.

There's been too much "It's on me..." from Kubiak.

9-7 means crap. Replace the Seahawks and the Rams with two other teams who are better, and let's see if we get those two wins. I wonder how split the board would be if we lost two more games instead of beating up on those two incompetent teams.

You have to take into consideration the team that we are rooting for here. This is an extremely talented team, but they don't play like it. Everyone knows they're talented, except the players and the coaches. The fans know and believe it, but they don't.

As a result, they have played inconsistent, and has seriously broken a lot of spirits this year. All of those fumbles at the goal line has worn us out mentally. The Monday Night loss sucked the life and spirit out of this fan base, and the three subsequent losses to division rivals only made it worse.

I think what you're seeing is a fan base that simply doesn't want to get it's hopes up. I have little faith in Kubiak's ability to coach us to the playoffs, and yet I'm also scouting out air fares and hotel rooms in Boston for next weekend (in case we get the Pats in the first round).

The team has massively underacheived this year. Even Kubaik will tell you that if you asked him. At this point, I think fans are simply saying "I'll root for you guys, but you have to show me the W's before I get crazy".

That's fair.

I get what you are trying to say. Why would certain people who think that we have no shot at beating the Patriots, even want us in the playoffs.

This being sort of a down year, if you can call it that, for the Patriots, they would be the least of our worries if we got into the final 12.

I am from the school of thought that we should beat NE, even if they play their starters all game. Let alone if they rest the starters.

I am torn on how they Texans would play as a wild card in the playoffs. Would they play tight, trying to be perfect, and end up laying an egg? Or will they play with wreckless abandon with nothing to lose? It really could go either way.

Also will they play 0, 2, or 4 quarters of good ball?

People who want a winning record just say that to soothe themselves, as well as to avoid seeing the off-season sports media preview our team by saying "Texans in 2010 will try to have their first winning season in franchise history. 8-8, or less, in 2010 means big problems for fans and head coach Gary Kubiak.".

Yes, that is exactly why I want that. :bender:

9-7 means crap. Replace the Seahawks and the Rams with two other teams who are better, and let's see if we get those two wins. I wonder how split the board would be if we lost two more games instead of beating up on those two incompetent teams.

Everyone plays bad teams. But you seem to want to hold that against the Texans.

This team isn't a piss-poor offense AND defense anymore. It's competent in terms of the offensive and defensive philosophies, as well as possessing enough talented players to compete in today's NFL.

But that doesn't override some glaring problems: Kubiak's divisional record, not winning games against "better" teams, and questionable roster choices and weekly preparation for opponents/gameday strategies.

People who want a winning record just say that to soothe themselves, as well as to avoid seeing the off-season sports media preview our team by saying "Texans in 2010 will try to have their first winning season in franchise history. 8-8, or less, in 2010 means big problems for fans and head coach Gary Kubiak."

We still suck because our head coach, for four years, has the belief that his offense is just competing against itself and that if our players play well, and follow the plays given to them (i.e. Matt can't audible to anything but a run) then nobody can stop us.

The problem is that our divisional rivals know what to do against us, and it has worked like magic every time. Even a rookie head coach and rookie QB playing his first NFL game beat us. In our own house. On opening day.

Well said. I agree. The issue with the divisional rivals is extremely disturbing. I get frustrated when I hear people say "All games count." Well, sure, but the division games are the most important games we play.

You nailed it perfectly: For some reason we struggle against our division rivals, teams we play twice a year and should know inside and out. Yet, our divisional rivals apparently have no problems knowing us inside and out, and planning for it.

That is very disturbing, folks.

As I said in another post, everyone knows that this team is talented - except the coaches and the players.

Meh, our first winning season is realistically within our reach. We squandered any realistic playoff hopes a few weeks ago, IMO of course.

As far as the rest of your post is concerned....it's been beat to death already. It's clearly obvious that Kubiak will be our coach next year so I ain't going to waste time beating a dead horse.

I get what you are trying to say. Why would certain people who think that we have no shot at beating the Patriots, even want us in the playoffs.

This being sort of a down year, if you can call it that, for the Patriots, they would be the least of our worries if we got into the final 12.

I am from the school of thought that we should beat NE, even if they play their starters all game. Let alone if they rest the starters.

I am torn on how they Texans would play as a wild card in the playoffs. Would they play tight, trying to be perfect, and end up laying an egg? Or will they play with wreckless abandon with nothing to lose? It really could go either way.

Also will they play 0, 2, or 4 quarters of good ball?

^^^^ Should be swapped with the OP. :rake:

We're finishing the season with hopes of getting into the playoffs playing against one of the best coached teams this decade. With that said, I think we can beat them.

Wow. I suppose I should just agree to disagree at this point, because as a Texans fan, I ALWAYS want to see our first winning record.

In the history of the world, Super Bowls are phantom achievements, too. Heck, I could show you 2.5 billion people alive right now in China and India that find the entire Super Bowl achievement to be irrelevant.

And your point? :um:

I do not disagree. But I don't want to cut off my nose to spite my face. I'd like to see this franchise finally obtain that phantom achievement of a winning record.

Nice generalization of thousands of people. Got any more far-reaching generalizations that you'd like to share with us about groups of people? :hmmm:

How about the simple idea that fans like to see thier teams win? After 7 years of suck-to-mediocre records, it would just be nice to finally have that winning record. Don't you think it would mean something to the players that we root for every week?

Not much difference, but a 9-7 team will make the playoffs this year and an 8-8 team will not make the playoffs. O.K., so there is THAT much of a difference in one game.

I do not disagree, but I still want a winning record, and for the first time in Texans history, we actually have REAL talk about a chance to be in the playoffs going into week 17. Can't you just enjoy the moment, or has your Kubiak hatred clouded that much of your fanaticism?

What? Replace two missed Brown FGs with successful FGs if you're going to play that game. We can create "what if..." scenarios all day, but we still end up with the reality of a 8-7 record with a long-shot chance at the playoffs in week 17.

Seriously, your hater undies are two or three sizes too small.

I want a winning record because it means we won a game I will be attending (like the 79 prior to it). I enjoy watching my team win.

Seriously, your hater undies are two or three sizes too small.

I want a winning record because it means we won a game I will be attending (like the 79 prior to it). I enjoy watching my team win.

kinda like the Grinch's heart
sku2506-788004.jpg

...hey and he's green too
:D

I want that 9th win even if:

1) McNair raises my ticket prices and justifies it in a down economy as an "improved product".

2) It doesn't get us into the playoffs.

3) The Patriots play their scrubs.

4) It worsens our drafting position.

I want winning to become a HABIT for these guys and maybe, just maybe they'll try to keep it going (from the coaching on down). If we did somehow sneak into the playoffs, I guarantee you that there aren't a lot of teams that would really relish the thought of facing our Offense. Our defensive secondary maybe...

I want that 9th win even if:

1) McNair raises my ticket prices and justifies it in a down economy as an "improved product".

2) It doesn't get us into the playoffs.

3) The Patriots play their scrubs.

4) It worsens our drafting position.

I want winning to become a HABIT for these guys and maybe, just maybe they'll try to keep it going (from the coaching on down). If we did somehow sneak into the playoffs, I guarantee you that there aren't a lot of teams that would really relish the thought of facing our Offense. Our defensive secondary maybe...

McNair damn well better not raise our ticket prices again. He did it this year - in the middle of a freaking recession - and damn sure better not do it after this season, considering what the team has done.

The way I'm looking at this week, and hopefully Kubiak is doing the same, is that this week is our Super Bowl and we are playing New England in the Super Bowl. Here's why:

If for anything to finally give this franchise a winning record. All things aside, this would be a great thing because we've all been there for those other seasons.

Because if you wanna be a playoff team, you have to be a winner first and foremost. Do that first and then wait and see if the playoffs are in the plans.

I don't want the team thinking that they have to win to get in the playoffs and playing all scared. I want them to be a determined team with the understanding that the majority of the team's careers have been defined by losing and they can change that this week. That when their career is over they can look back on this season and say I was a part of an NFL Franchise's history by becoming the first winning team. If you play for that first noone can look down on you.

ok off my soap box now.

I do not disagree, but I still want a winning record, and for the first time in Texans history, we actually have REAL talk about a chance to be in the playoffs going into week 17. Can't you just enjoy the moment, or has your Kubiak hatred clouded that much of your fanaticism?

What? Replace two missed Brown FGs with successful FGs if you're going to play that game. We can create "what if..." scenarios all day, but we still end up with the reality of a 8-7 record with a long-shot chance at the playoffs in week 17.

1. My only satisfaction, right now, is in watching Brian Cushing play football at a high level. I actually enjoy watching our defense more than watching our offense. Because we saw our d-coord yank some under-performing DBs, trade a lazy-ass DT, and he just lets his players play. Kubiak doesn't play the better players, gives way too much favoritism to Walter and Anderson at the expense of Jacoby Jones (who just has HUGE YAC when he gets the chance). There's only one side of the ball that intrigues me right now, and it's not Kubiak's side of the ball--His "turtle-shell" attitude, when we get a lead, is beyond the pale. You can see the whole offense just go into a trance and become totally incapable of sustaining drives because they, too, know that they're not trying to score--not trying to take a chance.

2. If your field goal kicker is responsible for tying or winning games, as has been the case for Kris Brown, then your offensive production sucks rocks. It means you need a foot of a guy--a guy who kicks a damn ball, and thats IT--then how can you blame the guy for missing some? I've seen a lot of Kris Brown bashing, but the truth, to me, is that Gary Kubiak needs to figure out a way to beat teams by scoring touchdowns and by sustaining drives to eat the clock.

Instead, we throw a halfback pass with CHRIS Brown at the controls? LOL.

Kubiak stubbornly, at the cost of his own TEAM on gameday, treats Jacoby Jones like he has leprosy (in terms of playing WR) so that we can get 5-yard curls and slants out of Walter and Anderson?

Kubiak and his GM fail to give Cedric Benson just a few more million, and the promise of lots of snaps, because Steve Slaton is now a superstar and will never get hurt? There are some garbage free agent running backs out there, and we've had a history of signing a lot of them (Gado, Dayne, etc.) but we can't pursue and SIGN a guy like Benson?

Kubiak can't beat his divisional rivals? That gives the owners of the Colts, Titans, and Jags a reason to keep their head coaches--That's a guaranteed 2 wins for each team in our division each year!

The guy is going to do the same freaking thing next season that he has done for the past four seasons. Evolving into a better head coach doesn't take this long in today's NFL. It operates at FedEx overnight rates. Period.

Builds a great offense, stabilized the Texans, but has had four years to reach 9-7, even with a gift of a schedule that he had this year.

Yeah, I'd say that I'm pretty jaded right now. We're looking at one final game that's in no way an easy game, then it's going to be a long run-up to another "satisfying" season with Gary Kubiak at the helm. I'm just brimming with excitement.

Like I said, I've become a fan of Frank Bush and his defense. I think there's more leadership on that side of the ball. I think there's an identity there that the offense doesn't have.

I don't think we'll get into the play-offs, but I think we can beat the Patriots' starters.

2. If your field goal kicker is responsible for tying or winning games, as has been the case for Kris Brown, then your offensive production sucks rocks. It means you need a foot of a guy--a guy who kicks a damn ball, and thats IT--then how can you blame the guy for missing some? I've seen a lot of Kris Brown bashing, but the truth, to me, is that Gary Kubiak needs to figure out a way to beat teams by scoring touchdowns and by sustaining drives to eat the clock.

Classic example of how you just pull things out of your arse to complain about. Remind us who the last person to score in the three Patriots' Super Bowl wins was?

Last edited:

I agree with you that there is no difference between 8-8 & 9-7. I'll go a step further & say there is no difference between 9-7 & 7-9.

But you mention that our offense isn't a "piss-poor" offense. Evidence of that is obviously seen in our offensive stats. Passing yards most of all, but we're doing well in scoring & touchdowns as well. Where last year, all we had was total yards. We are definitely less balanced than we were last year, but our passing attack has been able to make up for it..... except in TOP.

With that said, how can we criticize Kubiak's offensive philosophy that we should be able to run what we want to run on more snaps than not.

I mean, I don't like it either, but the results are right there. If there is a free rusher, Matt & the hot reciever needs to be on the same page. I doubt Matt has seen a defense that he knew the passing play was doomed to fail against.

The run plays are harder to justify, if you see they are overloaded to the play side... surely there needs to be some way out of that play. But maybe.. Coach thinks we should be able to pick it up with the correct calls from Center, & correct reads from the HB.... I don't know, I can't justify it. But last years running game alludes to there may be more to it than we think.

I know our run game has suffered this year, but I don't know we can blame it on the philosophy. He brought that philosophy with him from Denver, and it was successful last year in the passing and running game.

You nailed it perfectly: For some reason we struggle against our division rivals, teams we play twice a year and should know inside and out. Yet, our divisional rivals apparently have no problems knowing us inside and out, and planning for it.

That is very disturbing, folks.

Where I work, safety & injuries are a big thing, & what we talk about all day every day. But we don't get ourselves hurt doing the things we do occasionally. We get hurt doing the things we do all the time.

Call it complacency, call it over confidence.

But the blame does not rest on the coaches shoulder's alone. The percentage of first time starters on our team is still not where it needs to be to start demanding consistency. At least I don't think so.

Back