Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-06-2009   #1
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default BJ Raji - DT - Boston College

B.J. Raji
Senior Defensive Tackle from Boston College
Height: 6-1 Weight: 323 lbs 40-Time: 5.15

Quote:
Strengths:
Outstanding mass and bulk...Excellent strength...Stout at the point of attack...Can fill two gaps...Able to occupy multiple blockers...Tough, powerful and nasty...A beast against the run...Can really collapse the pocket...Able to penetrate and make plays in the backfield...Above average athleticism...Quick and agile...Pursues well and has a burst to close...Good instincts and awareness...Will offer schematic versatility.

Weaknesses:
Conditioning and stamina have been problems...Is shorter than you'd prefer...Maturity and commitment have been questioned...Doesn't always play with proper leverage...Inconsistent and his motor tends to run hot and cold...Is not an elite pass rusher...Struggled to keep up with his studies and intelligence may be an issue..Durability concerns?

Notes:
First name is "Busari"...Father migrated from Nigeria...A three-year starter in the ACC...Named 1st Team All-ACC in 2008...Sat out the 2007 season for academic reasons and redshirted...Was ejected from a game in 2006 for throwing a punch...Missed spring ball in 2008 after undergoing offseason shoulder surgery...Weighed more than 350 pounds at one point but is most effective at 325-330...Potential 3-4 nose tackle but could also fit in a 4-3 scheme...Has the physical tools to be great but intangibles could hold him back and prevent him from maximizing his potential...Had an amazing senior season and showed what a truly dominant force he can be when in shape and motivated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2004 11 13 1.5 0.0
2005 11 27 6.5 1.5
2006 12 23 8.5 3.0
2007 RS - - -
2008 13 42 16.0 8.0
Totals 47 105 32.5 12.5
http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...dt/BJ-Raji.php

2008: 16 TFL and 8 Sacks for a big man like him is insane!
Did anybody get to focus on him during their bowl game?

I think he could be a great presence on our DL as the NT next to Amobi. Have Okam develop and the two can keep each other fresh by rotating. Plus he'd take up two blockers to allow Mario, Amobi and new DE to get after QB, as well as keep those OL off Demeco and the other LB's. I think a NT like him would have the most overall affect on our defense than anyother player, although he would go widely unnoticed by fans... his affect would be tremendous
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #2
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4297 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BJ Raji - DT - Boston College

I'm on the Raji bandwagon, I'm just afraid he'll probably be gone by pick 15.

We'd probably have to trade up to get him, and I don't really see the Texans doing that.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #3
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

If he's there at 15 he's a no-brainer. There's not a player I'd take over him. People talk about getting a compliment to Slaton; Raji is the ideal compliment to Okoye and adding him would be like adding two players because you get your big space eating DT in Raji, and you unlock a lot of Amobi's potential and allow him to play to his abilities. I'm pretty confident he'll be gone at 15 though.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #4
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
B.J. Raji
Senior Defensive Tackle from Boston College
Height: 6-1 Weight: 323 lbs 40-Time: 5.15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scouti...dt/BJ-Raji.php

2008: 16 TFL and 8 Sacks for a big man like him is insane!
Did anybody get to focus on him during their bowl game?

I think he could be a great presence on our DL as the NT next to Amobi. Have Okam develop and the two can keep each other fresh by rotating. Plus he'd take up two blockers to allow Mario, Amobi and new DE to get after QB, as well as keep those OL off Demeco and the other LB's. I think a NT like him would have the most overall affect on our defense than anyother player, although he would go widely unnoticed by fans... his affect would be tremendous
Scott Wright is completely wrong about Raji's motor. He's relentless and appears to give his all on every play. To use him strictly as a NT would be a waste of his talent since he is surprisingly good at rushing the passer. If Okam develops, he and Raji could play next to each other on occasion. Think of him as a more explosive Vince Wilfork. I'd love to pick him up at 15.
Old 01-06-2009   #5
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

By the way, for anyone that missed the BC vs Vandy game, here are some Raji highlights
Old 01-06-2009   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post
Scott Wright is completely wrong about Raji's motor. He's relentless and appears to give his all on every play. To use him strictly as a NT would be a waste of his talent since he is surprisingly good at rushing the passer. If Okam develops, he and Raji could play next to each other on occasion. Think of him as a more explosive Vince Wilfork. I'd love to pick him up at 15.
I agree. I havn't seen enough of him to comment too much, but I love what I have seen. I think he's such a versatile lineman it could be great for the overall wellbeing of our defense. This new DC we are going to get may like to mix up things a bit. We run 4-3 most of the time but how effective are we when we even attempt to mix in a few 3-4 looks and such.

A guy like Raji could allow us to really do some creative things on the defense just because we could use him as a 3-4 NT, 4-3 NT, 4-3 UT, rush the pass, stop the run...etc.
Old 01-06-2009   #7
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 323040 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

From everything I've heard, he's gone by 15. But it's still so early in the process, who knows.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-06-2009   #8
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 21910 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

on that raji bandwagon as well, agree that he'll be gone but who knows
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #9
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3990 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not sure that he'll be gone. I think there is a good chance he will be available at pick #15.
Old 01-06-2009   #10
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-ReK View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I agree. I havn't seen enough of him to comment too much, but I love what I have seen. I think he's such a versatile lineman it could be great for the overall wellbeing of our defense. This new DC we are going to get may like to mix up things a bit. We run 4-3 most of the time but how effective are we when we even attempt to mix in a few 3-4 looks and such.

A guy like Raji could allow us to really do some creative things on the defense just because we could use him as a 3-4 NT, 4-3 NT, 4-3 UT, rush the pass, stop the run...etc.
I said awhile back that after the combine he'll be rated the #1 DT.

About his bowl game : He looked the same as he did every time I have seen him this year. He played hard and at times he was dominant. The bowl game just reasured me of what I have thought since the first time I saw him play. I have no doubt he is going to be a very good NFL player. I cant imagine anyone being available at 15 that would be more valuable to us than him.

He is the kind of player that will make opposing teams call pass plays on 3rd and inches. He is exactly what our D needs IMO. Dominating DT's are rare. There are less dominating DT's than there are dominating QB's. I think he has the most potential of any DL in this draft. That includes DE's
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Has the physical tools to be great but intangibles could hold him back and prevent him from maximizing his potential"
I dunno for sure but I think we already got this DT on our roster except we
got him for bargain basement terms in the 5th round of last years Draft ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009   #12
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 110436 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Has the physical tools to be great but intangibles could hold him back and prevent him from maximizing his potential"
I dunno for sure but I think we already got this DT on our roster except we
got him for bargain basement terms in the 5th round of last years Draft ?
Dont know what intangibles you specifically are refering to but the kid plays hard everytime I watch him. As far as having this DT on our roster already, the difference is Raji is way more talented. Besides when dealing with guys that size it doesnt hurt to have some depth to keep them fresh.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I stated in another thread that Raji and Jerry will rival each other for the first DT taken in the draft. I think it just comes down to what kind of DT they want.

When I see Raji play, he reminds me of a shorter, less athletic Albert Hayneworth. Both can get those big bodies moving and dominate.
Old 01-08-2009   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Raji is good but I'd prefer his teammate Ron Brace, even bigger, in the 2nd or 3rd round. It all depends on what you want the DT to do. I'm looking for someone huge to take on 2 blockers, stop the run, and possibly colapse the pocket thus freeing up Mario and Amobi to make plays on the QB.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #15
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Raji is good but I'd prefer his teammate Ron Brace, even bigger, in the 2nd or 3rd round. It all depends on what you want the DT to do. I'm looking for someone huge to take on 2 blockers, stop the run, and possibly colapse the pocket thus freeing up Mario and Amobi to make plays on the QB.
Me I want both Raji and Brace. Add them to Okoye and whoever, and the DTs are set.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #16
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...Maturity and commitment have been questioned
Argh. I hate to read that. We already have a space-eater who has had his commitment questioned.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009   #17
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9611 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardChris View Post
Argh. I hate to read that. We already have a space-eater who has had his commitment questioned.
I think in Raji's case it was more academic commitment. But then again you don't pass you don't play in college so that commitment is probably a legitimate concern.
Old 01-08-2009   #18
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I think in Raji's case it was more academic commitment. But then again you don't pass you don't play in college so that commitment is probably a legitimate concern.
I just wish there was a sure thing DT in the draft. I wasn't overly impressed by Terrence Cody - but that was only based on one game, so for all I know he could be great.

I know there's never really a "sure thing" but I at least would want a guy they know is a wrecking ball, is dedicated, and has the right attitude.

I mean, Glenn Dorsey seemed like a sure thing to me, but so far, not so much.

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Some notes from Jon Cozart after the first Senior Bowl practice. Mostly all negative stuff about defenders but this stood out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Cozart
However, I was really impressed in the short amount of time I watched Boston College DT B.J. Raji. Tomorrow Iíll definitely spend more time watching him as he blew up the interior linemen in front of him multiple times.
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm
Old 01-20-2009   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

good eye, as always. Raji is clear #1 DT which means any team with top priority addressing interior DL will select him before the Texans pick.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read