BJ Raji - DT - Boston College

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Ole Miss Texan, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

B.J. Raji
    Senior Defensive Tackle from Boston College
    Height: 6-1 Weight: 323 lbs 40-Time: 5.15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/BJ-Raji.php

2008: 16 TFL and 8 Sacks for a big man like him is insane!
    Did anybody get to focus on him during their bowl game?

I think he could be a great presence on our DL as the NT next to Amobi. Have Okam develop and the two can keep each other fresh by rotating. Plus he'd take up two blockers to allow Mario, Amobi and new DE to get after QB, as well as keep those OL off Demeco and the other LB's. I think a NT like him would have the most overall affect on our defense than anyother player, although he would go widely unnoticed by fans... his affect would be tremendous

2. Mari-OWNED!

Mari-OWNED! Bucco Bruce

I'm on the Raji bandwagon, I'm just afraid he'll probably be gone by pick 15.

We'd probably have to trade up to get him, and I don't really see the Texans doing that.

3. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

If he's there at 15 he's a no-brainer. There's not a player I'd take over him. People talk about getting a compliment to Slaton; Raji is the ideal compliment to Okoye and adding him would be like adding two players because you get your big space eating DT in Raji, and you unlock a lot of Amobi's potential and allow him to play to his abilities. I'm pretty confident he'll be gone at 15 though.

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Scott Wright is completely wrong about Raji's motor. He's relentless and appears to give his all on every play. To use him strictly as a NT would be a waste of his talent since he is surprisingly good at rushing the passer. If Okam develops, he and Raji could play next to each other on occasion. Think of him as a more explosive Vince Wilfork. I'd love to pick him up at 15.

5. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

By the way, for anyone that missed the BC vs Vandy game, here are some Raji highlights

6. Ole Miss Texan

I agree. I havn't seen enough of him to comment too much, but I love what I have seen. I think he's such a versatile lineman it could be great for the overall wellbeing of our defense. This new DC we are going to get may like to mix up things a bit. We run 4-3 most of the time but how effective are we when we even attempt to mix in a few 3-4 looks and such.

A guy like Raji could allow us to really do some creative things on the defense just because we could use him as a 3-4 NT, 4-3 NT, 4-3 UT, rush the pass, stop the run...etc.

7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

From everything I've heard, he's gone by 15. But it's still so early in the process, who knows.

8. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

on that raji bandwagon as well, agree that he'll be gone but who knows

9. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I'm not sure that he'll be gone. I think there is a good chance he will be available at pick #15.

10. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I said awhile back that after the combine he'll be rated the #1 DT.

About his bowl game : He looked the same as he did every time I have seen him this year. He played hard and at times he was dominant. The bowl game just reasured me of what I have thought since the first time I saw him play. I have no doubt he is going to be a very good NFL player. I cant imagine anyone being available at 15 that would be more valuable to us than him.

He is the kind of player that will make opposing teams call pass plays on 3rd and inches. He is exactly what our D needs IMO. Dominating DT's are rare. There are less dominating DT's than there are dominating QB's. I think he has the most potential of any DL in this draft. That includes DE's

11. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

"Has the physical tools to be great but intangibles could hold him back and prevent him from maximizing his potential"
    I dunno for sure but I think we already got this DT on our roster except we
    got him for bargain basement terms in the 5th round of last years Draft ?

12. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Dont know what intangibles you specifically are refering to but the kid plays hard everytime I watch him. As far as having this DT on our roster already, the difference is Raji is way more talented. Besides when dealing with guys that size it doesnt hurt to have some depth to keep them fresh.

13. Ole Miss Texan

I stated in another thread that Raji and Jerry will rival each other for the first DT taken in the draft. I think it just comes down to what kind of DT they want.

When I see Raji play, he reminds me of a shorter, less athletic Albert Hayneworth. Both can get those big bodies moving and dominate.

14. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

Raji is good but I'd prefer his teammate Ron Brace, even bigger, in the 2nd or 3rd round. It all depends on what you want the DT to do. I'm looking for someone huge to take on 2 blockers, stop the run, and possibly colapse the pocket thus freeing up Mario and Amobi to make plays on the QB.

15. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Me I want both Raji and Brace. Add them to Okoye and whoever, and the DTs are set.

16. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Argh. I hate to read that. We already have a space-eater who has had his commitment questioned.

17. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I think in Raji's case it was more academic commitment. But then again you don't pass you don't play in college so that commitment is probably a legitimate concern.

18. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

I just wish there was a sure thing DT in the draft. I wasn't overly impressed by Terrence Cody - but that was only based on one game, so for all I know he could be great.

I know there's never really a "sure thing" but I at least would want a guy they know is a wrecking ball, is dedicated, and has the right attitude.

I mean, Glenn Dorsey seemed like a sure thing to me, but so far, not so much.

19. Ole Miss Texan

Some notes from Jon Cozart after the first Senior Bowl practice. Mostly all negative stuff about defenders but this stood out:
    http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

20. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

good eye, as always. Raji is clear #1 DT which means any team with top priority addressing interior DL will select him before the Texans pick.