Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

DiehardChris

You betcha!
Front page of Chron sports page!

The Texans have fired defensive coordinator Richard Smith, defensive backs coach Jon Hoke and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin. Smith, who was under fire from fans and media this season, was the coordinator during Gary Kubiak's first three seasons.

so....it looks like we will promote in house since Bush and a few other coaches are still around. Most coordinators want to bring in their own staff.

so....it looks like we will promote in house since Bush and a few other coaches are still around. Most coordinators want to bring in their own staff.

I figured Bush would still be around, seemed like that was Kubes original intention as a DC/support staff since day 1.

If my mind serves me correctly, Arizona blocked us from talking with him.

I figured Bush would still be around, seemed like that was Kubes original intention as a DC/support staff since day 1.

If my mind serves me correctly, Arizona blocked us from talking with him.

you are correct. I hope we have fewer chiefs and more indians with our next staff. Kubiak did state that Rhodes will be retained for a second season though...perhaps he is Hokes replacement.

I think Brando has some great avatars in the sig/avatar thread if anyone is interested...lol.

Just make payments to.....

Brando
c/o Showtime Vacations Inc.
P.O. Box 8-8
Austin, Tx.​

Too bad Mike Tomlin is busy with a better job.

:fans::fans::fans:

Happy Freaking New Year! Now the real work begins. The defense has plenty to do from now until September.

Good riddance to Smithy boy.

I’d imagine we’ll be welcoming Frank Bush as our new defensive coordinator, but I guess we’ll have to wait on that. I’m sure the Texans management wants to weigh their options before making that decision.

Kubiak did state that Rhodes will be retained for a second season though...perhaps he is Hokes replacement.

That was my first thought when I heard that Hoke was gone as well. I'm interested to see who they bring in to replace Franklin though.

you are correct. I hope we have fewer chiefs and more indians with our next staff. Kubiak did state that Rhodes will be retained for a second season though...perhaps he is Hokes replacement.

As long as we do not become primarily a zone team, I'd be ok with it. I can't stand zone coverage. I do understand it is neccessary at times, but I just can't bare seeing it 100% of the time.

I've been sicker than a dog for the past couple of days, but I'm so giddy right now I damn near dotted my drawers.

It just sucks to high Heaven we had to wait so long for it to happen. Now we have to wait even longer to see the NEW defense take the field. :gun:

Its been coming, happy its over with now, and we can look for a new defensive team.

One step closer to a winning record next year I think. I looking forward to less giving up 15 yards every pass play whilst we're winning in the fourth quarter :)

Sweet. So an easy step would be Bush move up to DC and maybe Rhodes as secondary coach. I wonder if we bring in someone else, Eagles secondary coach has been rumored...well more of just an idea. That could keep Bush as senior defensive whatever his title is as well as reconcentrate on the DL.

This is pretty exciting. I just hope we can have more of an attitude on defense. One that is more aggressive than we've had.

I wonder if Kubiak personally meeting with all the players during his "evaluation" before addressing the staff had anything to do with these firings?

Namely ... a few dissenters among the defense??

Robinson a wanted man: Cornerback Dunta Robinson, the Texans’ career interceptions leader with 13, will be a free agent this offseason. He said on Moday that he wants to finish his career with the Texans, and Kubiak let Robinson know during their one-on-one meeting that the feeling is mutual.

“I told him I want him back on our football team,” Kubiak said. “I understand the business. I understand the world he’s in as far as free agency goes and those type of things. But I think the world of Dunta and I know we’re a better football team when he’s played for us.

“But I also understand there’s a lot of work to be done to get that done. I had a good visit with him, and so we’ll see what happens.”

Robinson, whom the Texans drafted 10th overall in 2004, missed the first six games of the 2008 season while rehabbing severe knee and hamstring injuries. Once he returned to the field, he helped to spark a late-season turnaround for the Texans' defense. The Texans finished the season 5-1 in games with Robinson in the starting lineup.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=5074
Good to see Dunta Robinson wants to stay in Houston

Maybe this isn't worthy for ESPN to talk about, but all they have covered since the Smith firing is more Jets and Cowboys BS. Same for NFLN and that irritates me.

If it were those teams getting rid of a DC I'd be watching the ex-DC's car heading down a freeway from a helicopter right now.

like, omg, omg, omg, omg. It's over, the nightmare, it's really really over.

:doot::doot::doot::doot::doot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLt7clQbBzo

Oh and thanks to Texans_Pride for breaking the news... you're like my hero of the day. For realz.

Oh and Painekiller, you had me scared there with the whole Richard Smith is going to stay posts.... sorta like the Swtbound "David Carr is going to be our QB forever" post, months later he got *******canned. I don't know which firing made me happier.

P.S: The power of the pink soap don't lie! Long live the magical Pink Soap.

Maybe this isn't worthy for ESPN to talk about, but all they have covered since the Smith firing is more Jets and Cowboys BS. Same for NFLN and that irritates me.

If it were those teams getting rid of a DC I'd be watching the ex-DC's car heading down a freeway from a helicopter right now.

It's on, we just don't get the coverage in Austin. :whip:

like, omg, omg, omg, omg. It's over, the nightmare, it's really really over.

:doot::doot::doot::doot::doot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLt7clQbBzo

Oh and thanks to Texans_Pride for breaking the news... you're like my hero of the day. For realz.

Oh and Painekiller, you had me scared there with the whole Richard Smith is going to stay posts.... sorta like the Swtbound "David Carr is going to be our QB forever" post, months later he got *******canned. I don't know which firing made me happier.

P.S: The power of the pink soap don't lie! Long live the magical Pink Soap.

John McClain's video with the girl after Kubiak's press conference made it clearer Kubiak was firing some guys, Kubiak said he wanted Rhodes back and the same thing about Gibbs. When asked about Smith he said they where evaluating all the coaches, McClain said he has worked with the man for 3 years, you don't need to evaluate.

Glad my fears turned out to be wrong.

Looks like Frank Bush, Johnny Holland and Ray Rhodes are the core. Maybe Bubba McDowell who interned here this summer get a shot at the CBs.

I am not expecting a big name when Bush was saved.

Wow! This much excitement over the firing of a couple of assistant coaches. LOL. Anyway, wish those guys the best because even if they sucked they tried their best. Hopefully Kubiak and crew will get better coaches.

Happy and sad at the same time. Happy because Smith is gone, along with some other dead weight; and sad because the non-firing of Bush means we will NOT be seeing a new DC.

I hope Bush brings a new culture to the D, or else this will all be for naught.

Happy and sad at the same time. Happy because Smith is gone, along with some other dead weight; and sad because the non-firing of Bush means we will NOT be seeing a new DC.

I guess Bush is cheaper than considering a genius like Spagnuolo.

For what it's worth, McClain seems pretty certain (saying so in his chat that's live right now) that the team will conduct a search for a new DC. Hopefully he's right.

I pray that Frank Bush isn't a forgone conclusion. If he is then I pray that Richard Smith defined what the defense was completely over the last few years and that nothing we saw reflected Frank Bush. If that isn't the case then we could very well be doing a "rinse and repeat" of this in 2-3 more years.

I want them to look at the wealth of defensive coaching talent that's available out there and come to an intelligent decision. If they don't find a fit they like and decide to stick with Bush I'm not goin to be upset but if they don't at least talk to some of these people then I'm going to be really angry. Even most of these 3-4 guys have some experience with a 4-3 and come from a scheme that played plenty of hybrid. There are very good options out there right now (almost a first since the Texans came on the scene).

:splits::texflag::splits::texflag:

The Texans did the right thing. Thank goodness.

Now, are we looking at Bush being promoted to DC? Does this really give us anything new or exciting? I'm not at all happy with the prospect of promoting from within when our defense was horrible in all facets of the game. I fear more of the same if we settle for an insider. I could be completely wrong though.

Back