Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2008   #161
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Richard Smith/Hoke/Franklin - fired!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired." - O.A. "Bum" Phillips

Don't think for a second that Kubiak isn't aware of that. He just saw his Super Bowl winning mentor canned. He realizes that 2009 is a make or break year. Kubiak will hire a DC he knows and trusts. Kubiak said after the road loss at Indy that he had the right people. Maybe he believes he has the right people, but they have the wrong job description.
Interesting theory.

Heard the news around 7 pm this evening. Did a dance around the living room. Shook my money maker and even got a dollar shoved in my drawers!
Old 12-30-2008   #162
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Did a dance around the living room. Shook my money maker and even got a dollar shoved in my drawers!
um.....cough......

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #163
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired." - O.A. "Bum" Phillips

Don't think for a second that Kubiak isn't aware of that. He just saw his Super Bowl winning mentor canned. He realizes that 2009 is a make or break year. Kubiak will hire a DC he knows and trusts. Kubiak said after the road loss at Indy that he had the right people. Maybe he believes he has the right people, but they have the wrong job description.
Just a thought, but maybe he was just telling Mr two chin what he wanted to hear.
Old 12-30-2008   #164
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Just a thought, but maybe he was just telling Mr two chin what he wanted to hear.
Why would McClain want to hear that?

Mr. two chin? Has Da General dropped some weight (and chins)?
Old 12-30-2008   #165
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why would McClain want to hear that?

Mr. two chin? Has Da General dropped some weight (and chins)?
He seems like he is an apologist for Smith but also Kubiak is like Belichick in that he never discloses anything.

I got a name to throw out that no one has mentioned ... Greg Robinson as DC, since he was Denver's DC when they won Super Bowls.
Old 12-30-2008   #166
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He seems like he is an apologist for Smith but also Kubiak is like Belichick in that he never discloses anything.

I got a name to throw out that no one has mentioned ... Greg Robinson as DC, since he was Denver's DC when they won Super Bowls.
Maybe not in this thread, but he has been mentioned in others. Honestly, i would be more interested in what Frank Bush could do over either of the Gregs, Williams or Robinson.

Still, more interested in something that's not any of those guys.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008   #167
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
You mean without the 8 years of experience as a DC?

This is starting to get very Goldilocks:

I want someone with prior DC experience.
I want someone with no connection to Denver.
Has to be a 4-3 guy.
Has to come from a last job where the D was really good.

Not sure the porridge is ever going to be just right.

I'm not advocating Slowik, but this is why I am saying keep an open mind (on everything except the 4-3 guy) and consider folks like the DB & LB coach from Philly.
Ron Rivera. Perfect fit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Rivera
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-31-2008   #168
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66536 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I don't think Greg Robinson can do it, but as you will see, he disagrees.

Greg Robinson recites children's stories.
Old 12-31-2008   #169
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
It would be a lateral move because he was promoted to DC with the Chargers. And he is under a two year contract with them. If the Texans wanted him, they should have moved LAST year.
Old 12-31-2008   #170
DiehardChris
You betcha!

Rep Power: 1068 DiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respectedDiehardChris is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
It would be a lateral move because he was promoted to DC with the Chargers. And he is under a two year contract with them. If the Texans wanted him, they should have moved LAST year.
But - this time last year, none of us wanted to get rid of Richard Smi--

Oh wait, yes we did. :|

www.HoustonDiehards.com
DiehardChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #171
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

yay
Old 12-31-2008   #172
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 10235 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmar74 View Post
Interesting theory.

Heard the news around 7 pm this evening. Did a dance around the living room. Shook my money maker and even got a dollar shoved in my drawers!
As long as no-one put a coin in the slot I would say that you're good
Old 12-31-2008   #173
BattleRedToro
Thread Killer

Rep Power: 3989 BattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respectedBattleRedToro is a quality contributor and well respected

The next Defensive Coordinator needs to have the respect from Smith and Kubiak with regards to defensive personnel decisions. He needs to be someone with a clear vision of his defensive philosophy and he must be able to articulate this as well. Finally, he needs to be someone whose defensive philosophy meshes with the existing personnel that is here plus a few additions through free agency and the draft to fill in the holes, if not time will be wasted changing systems due to the need for a complete changeover. In otherwords, changing to some form of a 3-4 defense should be out of the question.

Personally, I would like somebody that has learned under Monte Kiffin or Jim Johnson.
Old 12-31-2008   #174
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Working with the personnel already in place is a good point and I see the sense in not trying to completely flip the defense into a 3-4 "rebuild".

BUT, having said that.....

Every time a change is made at any level in the NFL the person brought in "wants his own people" to some extent. A new head coach wants new assistants and starts replacing his players. A new assistant coach wants his assistants (if any) to be "his guys" and will want some input in bringing in new players. We always see this and it's going to happen with our defense too.

What works about this is that we were going to see it anyway I think. The draft, as if there was any question or doubt is probably going to be all about the defense. Any kind of free agent signing we might have of any note will be a on defense. I have no doubt that Kubiak feels bad about letting these men go. They wouldn't be here if they weren't friends of his to some degree and his statement about having failed Richard Smith by not giving him the players and resources to be successful is very telling. It wasn't just coach speak I think. He'll give the next guy a lot more help partly because he feels it's needed and partly because well, he can. The offense is mostly finished at this point.
Old 12-31-2008   #175
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
The offense is mostly finished at this point.
Absent an injury (knocks on wood, rub the rabbits foot (never helped the rabbit) and kick a black cat (that one is just for enjoyment)) I don't see a single starter changing on the O next season unless some undeniable BPA person falls in their lap like Demeco did. Backups like a RB, sure.
Old 12-31-2008   #176
TigerV1
All Pro

Rep Power: 91 TigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTigerV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Absent an injury (knocks on wood, rub the rabbits foot (never helped the rabbit) and kick a black cat (that one is just for enjoyment)) I don't see a single starter changing on the O next season unless some undeniable BPA person falls in their lap like Demeco did. Backups like a RB, sure.
Is it just me or is it strange to even say that? Not that its a bad thing, but I never thought we'd see the day where we could say the offense is set.
Old 12-31-2008   #177
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 27501 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Sorry, but I don't think this offense is set by any measure. Two glaring issues to me is our center and right guard.
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #178
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Sorry, but I don't think this offense is set by any measure. Two glaring issues to me is our center and right guard.
Our RG is probably the most consistent Lineman we have. That is according to OD and Joel Dreissen yesterday on 1560. Not to mention thatalmost all of Slaton's big gains came right behind Briesel. And the coaches love the guy. I think Meyers can get the job done. Having continuity on the line is huge. Especially in the ZBS scheme. I think that was pretty apparent as the season went along and the linemen all got comfortable with each other.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008   #179
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTexansFan View Post
Not saying everything is ideal on O, only I don't expect any changes.
Old 12-31-2008   #180
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Our RG is probably the most consistent Lineman we have. That is according to OD and Joel Dreissen yesterday on 1560. Not to mention thatalmost all of Slaton's big gains came right behind Briesel. And the coaches love the guy. I think Meyers can get the job done. Having continuity on the line is huge. Especially in the ZBS scheme. I think that was pretty apparent as the season went along and the linemen all got comfortable with each other.
We haven't seen Myers bodyslammed into the RB since the Pittsburgh game.
In the ZBS, the center is the "quarterback" of he O-line. Myers is also
VERY young by O-line standards. I see this unit improving TOGETHER
with time. We don't need 5 ALL-PRO linemen, just a good UNIT. They
will get accolades when they gain consistency. Leave the line alone,
and the Texans offense will be a MONSTER.
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read