Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-08-2008   #1
Ali4Real

Question Duane Brown VS Other Rookie Tackles

I have been watching Duane Brown and I am impressed with him because he seems like a hard worker with good character. His footwork is getting better and he should only get better from here on out...hopefully.

I was just wondering how well he stacks up against other rookie tackles such as Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Jake Long, etc...

= I AM PUMPED FOR THE TITANS GAME...BRING IT !!!
Old 12-08-2008   #2
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Duane Brown VS Other Rookie Tackles

Well, considering that Duane Brown has to go up against Mario Williams in practice every day, I'd say his learning curve will be fairly short on the way to becoming a decent left tackle.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #3
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
I have been watching Duane Brown and I am impressed with him because he seems like a hard worker with good character. His footwork is getting better and he should only get better from here on out...hopefully.

I was just wondering how well he stacks up against other rookie tackles such as Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Jake Long, etc...

= I AM PUMPED FOR THE TITANS GAME...BRING IT !!!

Brown has all the tools, he's intense, a hard worker, never been injured, coachable... so, I'm thrilled with the guy. I also like that a kid as young as he is so accountable to his mistakes. He clearly really wants to be good.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #4
BuffaloglennTX
Rookie

Rep Power: 24 BuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performerBuffaloglennTX is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Brown has all the tools, he's intense, a hard worker, never been injured, coachable... so, I'm thrilled with the guy. I also like that a kid as young as he is so accountable to his mistakes. He clearly really wants to be good.
Not to mention his athleticism - watch him when he gets to run block and gets into the linebackers and secondary. He can really run! He's still learning but it looks to me like he will be around for a long time.
BuffaloglennTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #5
Number19
All Pro

Rep Power: 22903 Number19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respectedNumber19 is a quality contributor and well respected

Does anyone know a web site where stats for OL'men are posted ( sacks given up )?
Number19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #6
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Does anyone know a web site where stats for OL'men are posted ( sacks given up )?
NFL.com?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #7
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number19 View Post
Indeed, that's one of the things that prevents armchair experts like me from being able to judge one o-lineman from another. There aren't any commonly referenced numbers you can grab onto such as number of holding penalties. Number of sacks allowed. Number of hurries allowed. Number of pancake blocks. Number of times blocking more than one defender on a single play. Etc.

It's difficult to feign football knowledge without these shortcuts.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2008   #8
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

He has lived up to my expectaitions. Of course i didnt expect much. He still needs to get better.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #9
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Brown has disappointed me at times but I think he can hang in there long term...I've seen him play well enough too often to think otherwise....I sure wish Clady was available. I don't think Ryan Clady (R - Broncos) has given up a sack this season....dude is a beast.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Duane Brown is the reason Schaub was injured. Brown was supposed to be an unbelievable athlete and he can't condition himself enough to last a full game. He has never been good at any level, and that trend continues. He may eventually pan out, and I will hold onto that slim hope. However, those OT's that take years to develop do so on the sideline and are taken in like the 4th round (see the Bronco style of OL drafting). Essentially, he isn't good enough right now to do what he is being paid to do. He wasn't a first round talent, and he has done nothing but prove that all year. The hope is that he can be molded, but my question is in these next 2 years while we wait for that to happen (if we are lucky), who are we passing up that is legitimately worth first round money and a starting spot?
Old 12-08-2008   #11
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77992 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloglennTX View Post
Not to mention his athleticism - watch him when he gets to run block and gets into the linebackers and secondary. He can really run! He's still learning but it looks to me like he will be around for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Duane Brown is the reason Schaub was injured. Brown was supposed to be an unbelievable athlete and he can't condition himself enough to last a full game. He has never been good at any level, and that trend continues. He may eventually pan out, and I will hold onto that slim hope. However, those OT's that take years to develop do so on the sideline and are taken in like the 4th round (see the Bronco style of OL drafting). Essentially, he isn't good enough right now to do what he is being paid to do. He wasn't a first round talent, and he has done nothing but prove that all year. The hope is that he can be molded, but my question is in these next 2 years while we wait for that to happen (if we are lucky), who are we passing up that is legitimately worth first round money and a starting spot?
Hehe . . . nice to see that everyone has a good opinion of him.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Well, considering that Duane Brown has to go up against Mario Williams in practice every day, I'd say his learning curve will be fairly short on the way to becoming a decent left tackle.
I bet he's glad he doesn't have to face Reggie Bush and Vince Young every day. Talk about making a LT look bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I though Schaub was injured because of late/low hits by Jared Allen that he was fined for. I must've missed something. Brown is doing a pretty good job this year. LT is no cakewalk for a vet, much less a rookie learning a completely new scheme.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Brown has disappointed me at times but I think he can hang in there long term...I've seen him play well enough too often to think otherwise....I sure wish Clady was available. I don't think Ryan Clady (R - Broncos) has given up a sack this season....dude is a beast.
Clady is an absolute beast and was the best fit for this type of system. He dominated for years in a similar Bronco system and when he came up to the next level he was ready. The Broncos would have needed to have completely missed four years worth of tape not to have taken him.

Brown has been decent as a starting rookie LT. Very few rook LT start out like a Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady. I think that Brown has made great strides this year. I remember earlier this year when he telegraphed running vs passing plays based on how he was lining up. He has also had a trial by fire by having to face some of the premier DEs in the league. I think by facing Mario every day, more seasoning, and more time with Alex Gibbs, he will become our solid franchise LT.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #14
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3847 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to +1 Clady. I have season tickets to the Broncos and he has not given up a sack so far and absolutely dominates whoever he plays against. That guy is awesome. In many ways though, the Texans offense if ahead of the Broncos. Broncos line and QB are better but the receivers, TE, and backs are better on the Texans. Both of their D's stink, although the texans are showing signs of improvement at least.
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
As compaired to Seth Wand....Victor Riley, and Efferan ?

If they wanted Clady they should of moved up and got him....Alberts.

Course that means there would be no secretariate right now.

Same deal here YTF....package your ones for this year and next and go get Smith. Or Ohre.

Easy for you two to ***** about him what I remember is '06 and you two telling me how crazy I was for wanting to drop down and take D'brickasaw. They needed one for six years and they've taken one... give the guy some room to grow. If you're not willing to spend the draft ammo to get one stow the bitching.

Can't have it both ways you two. Can't slum in the third and hope to hit a miracle. they can go to a super bowl with the guy. that is all that matters.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 12-09-2008 at 02:43 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #16
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Jeff Otah has been a monster. You see him destroy people at the line, and then end up blocking 20-30 yards downfield leading the runner.

So much for being slow.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d2bc47
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
Jeff Otah has been a monster. You see him destroy people at the line, and then end up blocking 20-30 yards downfield leading the runner.

So much for being slow.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80d2bc47
I dunno, but is Otah really in this conversation since he's a RT ?
Speaking of RTs, rookie #1 pick Long with the 'Phins (who happens to be playing on the left side this year), is reportedly the leading vote-getter in Pro Bowl ballots for LTs. How come nobody mentioned him ?
And for those who don't like Brown, the main reason we have him and not another LT or player from the Draft is because Kubiak was so desperate to win that exhibition game in Reliant against the Jags last year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post

Same deal here YTF....package your ones for this year and next and go get Smith. Or Ohre.

Easy for you two to ***** about him what I remember is '06 and you two telling me how crazy I was for wanting to drop down and take D'brickasaw. They needed one for six years and they've taken one... give the guy some room to grow. If you're not willing to spend the draft ammo to get one stow the bitching.

Can't have it both ways you two. Can't slum in the third and hope to hit a miracle. they can go to a super bowl with the guy. that is all that matters.
I'm assuming you are trying to take an indirect jab at me. I dare you to look at any thread from that draft. I wanted to take D'Brick #1. Screw the trading down and risking it junk. Mario was my #2 option, and I am glad to see him every week in our uniform and not in our backfield.
Old 12-09-2008   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worth a new thread, but FYI:

From Stats, Inc. to date:

Duane Brown - 10.5 sacks, 2 false starts, 1 hold
Ephraim Salaam - 1 sack, 2 false starts
Chester Pitts - 2.5 sacks
Chris Meyers - 1 false start, 1 hold
Mike Briesel - 1 false start
Eric Winston - 4.5 sacks, 4 false starts

That's 18.5 sacks assigned to the line out of 26 so 7.5 sacks have been assigned to the QB, RBs and TEs but they don't list those separately.
Old 12-09-2008   #20
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he's showing promise.

- Edmund Burke
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read