Duane Brown VS Other Rookie Tackles

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ali4Real, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Ali4Real

Ali4Real Guest

I have been watching Duane Brown and I am impressed with him because he seems like a hard worker with good character. His footwork is getting better and he should only get better from here on out...hopefully.

I was just wondering how well he stacks up against other rookie tackles such as Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Jake Long, etc...

:wild: = I AM PUMPED FOR THE TITANS GAME...BRING IT !!!

2. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Well, considering that Duane Brown has to go up against Mario Williams in practice every day, I'd say his learning curve will be fairly short on the way to becoming a decent left tackle.

3. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Brown has all the tools, he's intense, a hard worker, never been injured, coachable... so, I'm thrilled with the guy. I also like that a kid as young as he is so accountable to his mistakes. He clearly really wants to be good.

4. BuffaloglennTX

BuffaloglennTX Rookie

Not to mention his athleticism - watch him when he gets to run block and gets into the linebackers and secondary. He can really run! He's still learning but it looks to me like he will be around for a long time.

5. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

Does anyone know a web site where stats for OL'men are posted ( sacks given up )?

6. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

NFL.com?

7. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Indeed, that's one of the things that prevents armchair experts like me from being able to judge one o-lineman from another. There aren't any commonly referenced numbers you can grab onto such as number of holding penalties. Number of sacks allowed. Number of hurries allowed. Number of pancake blocks. Number of times blocking more than one defender on a single play. Etc.

It's difficult to feign football knowledge without these shortcuts. :shades:

8. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

He has lived up to my expectaitions. Of course i didnt expect much. He still needs to get better.

9. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Brown has disappointed me at times but I think he can hang in there long term...I've seen him play well enough too often to think otherwise....I sure wish Clady was available. I don't think Ryan Clady (R - Broncos) has given up a sack this season....dude is a beast.

10. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Duane Brown is the reason Schaub was injured. Brown was supposed to be an unbelievable athlete and he can't condition himself enough to last a full game. He has never been good at any level, and that trend continues. He may eventually pan out, and I will hold onto that slim hope. However, those OT's that take years to develop do so on the sideline and are taken in like the 4th round (see the Bronco style of OL drafting). Essentially, he isn't good enough right now to do what he is being paid to do. He wasn't a first round talent, and he has done nothing but prove that all year. The hope is that he can be molded, but my question is in these next 2 years while we wait for that to happen (if we are lucky), who are we passing up that is legitimately worth first round money and a starting spot?

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Hehe . . . nice to see that everyone has a good opinion of him. lol:

12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I bet he's glad he doesn't have to face Reggie Bush and Vince Young every day. Talk about making a LT look bad...

I though Schaub was injured because of late/low hits by Jared Allen that he was fined for. I must've missed something. Brown is doing a pretty good job this year. LT is no cakewalk for a vet, much less a rookie learning a completely new scheme.

13. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Clady is an absolute beast and was the best fit for this type of system. He dominated for years in a similar Bronco system and when he came up to the next level he was ready. The Broncos would have needed to have completely missed four years worth of tape not to have taken him.

Brown has been decent as a starting rookie LT. Very few rook LT start out like a Joe Thomas or Ryan Clady. I think that Brown has made great strides this year. I remember earlier this year when he telegraphed running vs passing plays based on how he was lining up. He has also had a trial by fire by having to face some of the premier DEs in the league. I think by facing Mario every day, more seasoning, and more time with Alex Gibbs, he will become our solid franchise LT.

14. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

I have to +1 Clady. I have season tickets to the Broncos and he has not given up a sack so far and absolutely dominates whoever he plays against. That guy is awesome. In many ways though, the Texans offense if ahead of the Broncos. Broncos line and QB are better but the receivers, TE, and backs are better on the Texans. Both of their D's stink, although the texans are showing signs of improvement at least.

15. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

As compaired to Seth Wand....Victor Riley, and Efferan ?

If they wanted Clady they should of moved up and got him....Alberts.

Course that means there would be no secretariate right now.

Same deal here YTF....package your ones for this year and next and go get Smith. Or Ohre.

Easy for you two to ***** about him what I remember is '06 and you two telling me how crazy I was for wanting to drop down and take D'brickasaw. They needed one for six years and they've taken one... give the guy some room to grow. If you're not willing to spend the draft ammo to get one stow the bitching.

Can't have it both ways you two. Can't slum in the third and hope to hit a miracle. they can go to a super bowl with the guy. that is all that matters.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
    Vinny, dc_txtech and eriadoc like this.
  16. Goatcheese

Goatcheese Nightmare Over

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but is Otah really in this conversation since he's a RT ?
    Speaking of RTs, rookie #1 pick Long with the 'Phins (who happens to be playing on the left side this year), is reportedly the leading vote-getter in Pro Bowl ballots for LTs. How come nobody mentioned him ?
    And for those who don't like Brown, the main reason we have him and not another LT or player from the Draft is because Kubiak was so desperate to win that exhibition game in Reliant against the Jags last year.

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I'm assuming you are trying to take an indirect jab at me. I dare you to look at any thread from that draft. I wanted to take D'Brick #1. Screw the trading down and risking it junk. Mario was my #2 option, and I am glad to see him every week in our uniform and not in our backfield.

19. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Not worth a new thread, but FYI:

From Stats, Inc. to date:

Duane Brown - 10.5 sacks, 2 false starts, 1 hold
    Ephraim Salaam - 1 sack, 2 false starts
    Chester Pitts - 2.5 sacks
    Chris Meyers - 1 false start, 1 hold
    Mike Briesel - 1 false start
    Eric Winston - 4.5 sacks, 4 false starts

That's 18.5 sacks assigned to the line out of 26 so 7.5 sacks have been assigned to the QB, RBs and TEs but they don't list those separately.

20. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I think he's showing promise.