Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-07-2008   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Darius Walker?

We will see.
Old 07-07-2008   #22
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes we will. But I will tell you now, the only way for Walker to make the active squad is for one of the two starters, either Green, or Brown to go down. Then it becomes a different story. If you'er hoping that one of these two go down just so you can make a point, I don't think you are much of a Texan.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #23
Polo

It's not too far outside the realm of possibility that Walker is atleast the third best RB on the roster at this time...

Green, Brown, and Taylor haven't proven to be the most durable guys...

Steve Slaton is a rookie who may take time to adjust....

I don't think it's that big of a stretch that we may NEED Darius to help carry the rock...It's quite possible that he could outperform some of the backs on this roster...

I don't think it's that big a stretch at all that he outperforms Slaton and Taylor...

Last edited by Polo; 07-07-2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-07-2008   #24
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT View Post
Yes we will. But I will tell you now, the only way for Walker to make the active squad is for one of the two starters, either Green, or Brown to go down. Then it becomes a different story. If you'er hoping that one of these two go down just so you can make a point, I don't think you are much of a Texan.
I'm not. I just want to see some more Walker play.
Old 07-07-2008   #25
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

If we carry 4 RBs, then I expect Walker to be the 4th. If we carry 3 RBs, then he has to beat out Green or Brown and Taylor.

Otherwise, we try to sneak him back onto the practice squad and he might get picked up.

Same holds true for Taylor except that if we carry 4 backs, he has to beat out Walker. If we carry three, he has to beat out Walker and either Green or Brown.

The interesting point is going to be how Ahman responds to hitting in TC. That's going to decide a lot. If his knee is still tender, he's gone.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #26
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
If we carry 4 RBs, then I expect Walker to be the 4th. If we carry 3 RBs, then he has to beat out Green or Brown and Taylor.

Otherwise, we try to sneak him back onto the practice squad and he might get picked up.

Same holds true for Taylor except that if we carry 4 backs, he has to beat out Walker. If we carry three, he has to beat out Walker and either Green or Brown.

The interesting point is going to be how Ahman responds to hitting in TC. That's going to decide a lot. If his knee is still tender, he's gone.
What about Slaton? IMO, he's basically guarranteed a roster spot.
Old 07-07-2008   #27
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
What about Slaton? IMO, he's basically guarranteed a roster spot.
That's what I was implying.

If there are 3 spots, Slaton has one. So Walker has to beat out either Green or Brown for a spot.

If there are 4 spots, Slaton, Green, and Brown are set and Walker has the 4th.

For Taylor, he's got to get past Walker for a chance of a spot on the roster.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-07-2008   #28
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 128249 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I was implying.

If there are 3 spots, Slaton has one. So Walker has to beat out either Green or Brown for a spot.

If there are 4 spots, Slaton, Green, and Brown are set and Walker has the 4th.

For Taylor, he's got to get past Walker for a chance of a spot on the roster.
Ah gotcha. I suppose you meant Slaton in the top quote then.

I agree with you on most all accounts except I tend to give Taylor the nod over Walker. Why? I dunno, but I've seen what Walker can do and came away unimpressed. From what little I've seen of Taylor his burst was more noticable than Walker's. I think his speed and untapped potential might give him the nod over Walker. Unlike what someone previously posted.
Old 07-07-2008   #29
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Ah gotcha. I suppose you meant Slaton in the top quote then.

I agree with you on most all accounts except I tend to give Taylor the nod over Walker. Why? I dunno, but I've seen what Walker can do and came away unimpressed. From what little I've seen of Taylor his burst was more noticable than Walker's. I think his speed and untapped potential might give him the nod over Walker. Unlike what someone previously posted.
Me I guess. How do you know that he'll have that same speed coming off his injury?
Old 07-07-2008   #30
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Chris Brown and Steve Slaton make the team. There's two players.

This next month and preseason is going to be HUGE for the other 3 RB's to show they deserve the team. I'm in agreement that our #1 RB right now is Ahman Green- IF he's healthy and makes the team, he's the main guy. He's going to have to show through practice and the limited time he'll actually see during preseason that he has that spark and can do it. He wouldn't be for it, but I wonder if his knee is still sore, if we could IR him and get him during the season if we need him or release him if we're fine at the position. Doubtful that we can/will do that. I'm still confused about his contract... I don't know what his salary is for each season. I think he would be expensive to cut but he's definitely gone after this season (unless he has a breakout year).

Now, Walker and Taylor are going to see the majority of preseason snaps, I would hope. I think their performance over the next two months is make or break for them. Taylor has more upside, but Walker seems more consistent... well actually he's pretty much a known commodity that may have improved over the offseason. Why couldn't Chris Taylor be the one that goes to the PS? He hasn't played in 18 months and I think might be able to clear waivers easier than Walker. No other team has seen him really practive/workout/run/play besides us.

Ideally I would want Green/Brown to be healthy and carry the bulk of the load during the season by splitting carries. I'd want Walker as the primary backup for these guys and Slaton to be on special teams and our 3rd down back, and Taylor to be on the Practice squad. After this season, we release Green leaving Brown as our starting RB. Behind him we can decide who deserves the spot more Walker/Taylor, and then have Slaton as the 3rd down guy.

It really shows our team is getting good when you have a hard time justifying releasing players at virtually every position, particularly WR and RB. When we're cutting guys that should make the team because there are others that are better is a good thing. I really like all these RB's.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #31
gary
Hall of Fame

I think the one thing people must remember is that Taylor hasn't played in a year and a half and he may not have that same speed.
Old 07-07-2008   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Unless of injury, I don't anticipate Walker being a part of the Texans roster come opening week.

He's not very quick and he lacks any real burst for the big play. His vision is average at best. He seems like a good guy though.
Of course, I don't know, because I don't watch College ball. But did Darius beat Ryan Grant out for the starting job at ND??
Old 07-07-2008   #33
gary
Hall of Fame

[quote=thunderkyss;950442]Of course, I don't know, because I don't watch College ball. /QUOTE]I don't either that's why I want to see DW play more.
Old 07-07-2008   #34
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 91652 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Echemandu isn't even on the squad. He got cut last year for cryin out loud. The depth chart should be:
1. Green
2. Brown
3. Taylor
4. Slaton
then Walker. Oh, he will play (in the preseason), then if he makes it through waivers, the PS.
Echemandu's now on the Raiders Roster (although NFL.com does have him listed 3rd on the Texans depth chart). Heck, right now the official team website lists Ron Dayne at the top of the RB depth chart, so I think it's safe to say anything anybody has seen is "unofficial" to put it mildly.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #35
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Of course, I don't know, because I don't watch College ball. But did Darius beat Ryan Grant out for the starting job at ND??
I think Spec can answer that better than myself.

No offense, but what he did in College means nothing to me at this time.
Old 07-07-2008   #36
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Why?
Old 07-07-2008   #37
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216706 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Echemandu isn't even on the squad. He got cut last year for cryin out loud. The depth chart should be:
1. Green
2. Brown
3. Taylor
4. Slaton
then Walker. Oh, he will play (in the preseason), then if he makes it through waivers, the PS.

Walker is not eligible for the PS........Slaton's the only eliglible RB.........and that's not going to happen.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008   #38
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Grant and Walker were one after the other. So no he did not beat out Grant. Walker was and is average like I said. I am not sugar coating or praising Walker cause I am a ND fan, like Bill thinks. Hence why I said he was a good 4th Running Back option.

Walker does everything that is asked, he just does not do it on a probowl level.

The reason Grant was not drafted is cause he had some minor issues in college and was dismissed from the team for a season (If memory serves). Also ND record against top compition was a major factor.
Old 07-07-2008   #39
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Why?
I follow Notre Dame more than most here at TexansTalk. Also, look at all the guys who did a lot in college and failed and all the ones who did nothing and succeeded, is why not to look at what they did in college now that the draft is over for that particular player.
Old 07-07-2008   #40
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Walker is a good footballplayer, that is it. He is not the fastest, nor the strongest or the greatest at anyone thing. with that said he is a football player. He is the type of back the works well in a zone system the one cut and go type of back. He is capable in pass protection and catching passes out of the backfield.

Everyone wants to knock him out of the picture, but until Taylor actually does something on the field i am not going to. Everything that needs to be done in a zone scheme he can do, he will not wow you but on this team he can be that 4th RB that we need.
I agree with this 100%
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read