Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Darius Walker?

Andrew6

All Pro
I've been hearing some about all the Running backs we have and have heard nothing about D. Walker. I think he showed some flash last year and could a good fit here. He had some power runs. Anyone hear anything so far?

Unless of injury, I don't anticipate Walker being a part of the Texans roster come opening week.

He's not very quick and he lacks any real burst for the big play. His vision is average at best. He seems like a good guy though.:cool:

I didn't really see a whole lot of him last year but what I did see of him I really did like he looked strong. I'm hoping that we get a chance early in the season to get a better look at Mr. Walker.

I didn't really see a whole lot of him last year but what I did see of him I really did like he looked strong. I'm hoping that an RB will go down early in the season so we'll get a better look at Mr. Walker.

So you're hoping a better player gets hurt so a guy that may not make the team gets some looks? :hmmm:

I'll take the better RB over the sentimental RB.

Walker is a good footballplayer, that is it. He is not the fastest, nor the strongest or the greatest at anyone thing. with that said he is a football player. He is the type of back the works well in a zone system the one cut and go type of back. He is capable in pass protection and catching passes out of the backfield.

Everyone wants to knock him out of the picture, but until Taylor actually does something on the field i am not going to. Everything that needs to be done in a zone scheme he can do, he will not wow you but on this team he can be that 4th RB that we need.

I think Walker will make the team. He has shown that he can catch the ball, run between tackles, and most importantly hang onto the football.

So you're hoping a better player gets hurt so a guy that may not make the team gets some looks? :hmmm:

I'll take the better RB over the sentimental RB.
How about for one play? That's all. I just want to see how he does since last year I didn't see much of him.

I think Walker will make the team. He has shown that he can catch the ball, run between tackles, and most importantly hang onto the football.

Right now the depth chart is:
1. Green
2. Brown
3. Walker
4. Slaton
5. Echemandu
6. Taylor

I have a feeling Green gets hurt and is placed on IR. Brown and Walker will split carries and Salton will be the third down back. Echemandu goes to the PS and Taylor is released.

Walker is a good footballplayer, that is it. He is not the fastest, nor the strongest or the greatest at anyone thing. with that said he is a football player. He is the type of back the works well in a zone system the one cut and go type of back. He is capable in pass protection and catching passes out of the backfield.

Everyone wants to knock him out of the picture, but until Taylor actually does something on the field i am not going to. Everything that needs to be done in a zone scheme he can do, he will not wow you but on this team he can be that 4th RB that we need.
This is my eval also. Taylor is a coaches favorite but has shown little on field. Walker has edge imo but may not get on field unless injury takes out some one. And that is more likely than not.

Eche is with the Raiders, now.

Echie was "the one first touch-fumble and you're gone" guy.

Walker is seriously on the bubble. With the crew ahead of him though, gonna take one nice ding in preseason and he'll be back into the picture. It's gotta be fish or cut bait time for Taylor. I don't care who loves him.

1. Green
2. Brown
3. Walker
4. Slaton
5. Echemandu
6. Taylor

I have a feeling Green gets hurt and is placed on IR. Brown and Walker will split carries and Salton will be the third down back. Echemandu goes to the PS and Taylor is released.

And who's list is this?

Boy I cannot wait until Saturday the 26th of July, I will try to get tickets to all the practices, and this is the 1st one. Then we will get to see who is working with who?

IIRC Green will only be working one practice a day, Brown is a pickup requested by Gibbs and we have heard little news about the other guys.

I see Brown and Taylor as the true threats in the offense, Green will show flashes. The rest of the guys will not scare a defense.

I'd much rather have Walker than Taylor who hasn't shown us very much at all.

Walker does look like the weak link. I guess it all depends on Taylor

I think between Taylor and Walker, the first one to really "get it" and show the coaches he deserves a spot on the roster will get that spot on the roster and be very hard for the other one to catch at that point.

Reps are limited and the position is crowded with a lot of guys who are kind of interchangeable.

Remember that Taylor didn't look all that different from Walker in his "one good game at the end of the year when it didn't matter" and neither one of them is particularly explosive. They'll both make adequat backs in our system if they play within themselves and do what they're told. Either one is capable of getting some confidence and going on a little roll but neither one is more than a 3 at best.

I think between Taylor and Walker, the first one to really "get it" and show the coaches he deserves a spot on the roster will get that spot on the roster and be very hard for the other one to catch at that point.

Reps are limited and the position is crowded with a lot of guys who are kind of interchangeable.

Remember that Taylor didn't look all that different from Walker in his "one good game at the end of the year when it didn't matter" and neither one of them is particularly explosive. They'll both make adequat backs in our system if they play within themselves and do what they're told. Either one is capable of getting some confidence and going on a little roll but neither one is more than a 3 at best.
We are probably going to carry at least three backs so one of them will get a shot.

1. Green
2. Brown
3. Walker
4. Slaton
5. Echemandu
6. Taylor

Echemandu isn't even on the squad. He got cut last year for cryin out loud. The depth chart should be:
1. Green
2. Brown
3. Taylor
4. Slaton
then Walker. Oh, he will play (in the preseason), then if he makes it through waivers, the PS.

Yes we will. But I will tell you now, the only way for Walker to make the active squad is for one of the two starters, either Green, or Brown to go down. Then it becomes a different story. If you'er hoping that one of these two go down just so you can make a point, I don't think you are much of a Texan.

It's not too far outside the realm of possibility that Walker is atleast the third best RB on the roster at this time...

Green, Brown, and Taylor haven't proven to be the most durable guys...

Steve Slaton is a rookie who may take time to adjust....

I don't think it's that big of a stretch that we may NEED Darius to help carry the rock...It's quite possible that he could outperform some of the backs on this roster...

I don't think it's that big a stretch at all that he outperforms Slaton and Taylor...

Yes we will. But I will tell you now, the only way for Walker to make the active squad is for one of the two starters, either Green, or Brown to go down. Then it becomes a different story. If you'er hoping that one of these two go down just so you can make a point, I don't think you are much of a Texan.
I'm not. I just want to see some more Walker play.

If we carry 4 RBs, then I expect Walker to be the 4th. If we carry 3 RBs, then he has to beat out Green or Brown and Taylor.

Otherwise, we try to sneak him back onto the practice squad and he might get picked up.

Same holds true for Taylor except that if we carry 4 backs, he has to beat out Walker. If we carry three, he has to beat out Walker and either Green or Brown.

The interesting point is going to be how Ahman responds to hitting in TC. That's going to decide a lot. If his knee is still tender, he's gone.

If we carry 4 RBs, then I expect Walker to be the 4th. If we carry 3 RBs, then he has to beat out Green or Brown and Taylor.

Otherwise, we try to sneak him back onto the practice squad and he might get picked up.

Same holds true for Taylor except that if we carry 4 backs, he has to beat out Walker. If we carry three, he has to beat out Walker and either Green or Brown.

The interesting point is going to be how Ahman responds to hitting in TC. That's going to decide a lot. If his knee is still tender, he's gone.

What about Slaton? IMO, he's basically guarranteed a roster spot.

What about Slaton? IMO, he's basically guarranteed a roster spot.

That's what I was implying.

If there are 3 spots, Slaton has one. So Walker has to beat out either Green or Brown for a spot.

If there are 4 spots, Slaton, Green, and Brown are set and Walker has the 4th.

For Taylor, he's got to get past Walker for a chance of a spot on the roster.

That's what I was implying.

If there are 3 spots, Slaton has one. So Walker has to beat out either Green or Brown for a spot.

If there are 4 spots, Slaton, Green, and Brown are set and Walker has the 4th.

For Taylor, he's got to get past Walker for a chance of a spot on the roster.

Ah gotcha. I suppose you meant Slaton in the top quote then.

I agree with you on most all accounts except I tend to give Taylor the nod over Walker. Why? I dunno, but I've seen what Walker can do and came away unimpressed. From what little I've seen of Taylor his burst was more noticable than Walker's. I think his speed and untapped potential might give him the nod over Walker. Unlike what someone previously posted.

Ah gotcha. I suppose you meant Slaton in the top quote then.

I agree with you on most all accounts except I tend to give Taylor the nod over Walker. Why? I dunno, but I've seen what Walker can do and came away unimpressed. From what little I've seen of Taylor his burst was more noticable than Walker's. I think his speed and untapped potential might give him the nod over Walker. Unlike what someone previously posted.
Me I guess. How do you know that he'll have that same speed coming off his injury?

I think Chris Brown and Steve Slaton make the team. There's two players.

This next month and preseason is going to be HUGE for the other 3 RB's to show they deserve the team. I'm in agreement that our #1 RB right now is Ahman Green- IF he's healthy and makes the team, he's the main guy. He's going to have to show through practice and the limited time he'll actually see during preseason that he has that spark and can do it. He wouldn't be for it, but I wonder if his knee is still sore, if we could IR him and get him during the season if we need him or release him if we're fine at the position. Doubtful that we can/will do that. I'm still confused about his contract... I don't know what his salary is for each season. I think he would be expensive to cut but he's definitely gone after this season (unless he has a breakout year).

Now, Walker and Taylor are going to see the majority of preseason snaps, I would hope. I think their performance over the next two months is make or break for them. Taylor has more upside, but Walker seems more consistent... well actually he's pretty much a known commodity that may have improved over the offseason. Why couldn't Chris Taylor be the one that goes to the PS? He hasn't played in 18 months and I think might be able to clear waivers easier than Walker. No other team has seen him really practive/workout/run/play besides us.

Ideally I would want Green/Brown to be healthy and carry the bulk of the load during the season by splitting carries. I'd want Walker as the primary backup for these guys and Slaton to be on special teams and our 3rd down back, and Taylor to be on the Practice squad. After this season, we release Green leaving Brown as our starting RB. Behind him we can decide who deserves the spot more Walker/Taylor, and then have Slaton as the 3rd down guy.

It really shows our team is getting good when you have a hard time justifying releasing players at virtually every position, particularly WR and RB. When we're cutting guys that should make the team because there are others that are better is a good thing. I really like all these RB's.

I think the one thing people must remember is that Taylor hasn't played in a year and a half and he may not have that same speed.

Unless of injury, I don't anticipate Walker being a part of the Texans roster come opening week.

He's not very quick and he lacks any real burst for the big play. His vision is average at best. He seems like a good guy though.:cool:

Of course, I don't know, because I don't watch College ball. But did Darius beat Ryan Grant out for the starting job at ND??

Echemandu isn't even on the squad. He got cut last year for cryin out loud. The depth chart should be:
1. Green
2. Brown
3. Taylor
4. Slaton
then Walker. Oh, he will play (in the preseason), then if he makes it through waivers, the PS.

Echemandu's now on the Raiders Roster (although NFL.com does have him listed 3rd on the Texans depth chart). Heck, right now the official team website lists Ron Dayne at the top of the RB depth chart, so I think it's safe to say anything anybody has seen is "unofficial" to put it mildly.

Of course, I don't know, because I don't watch College ball. But did Darius beat Ryan Grant out for the starting job at ND??

I think Spec can answer that better than myself.

No offense, but what he did in College means nothing to me at this time. :cool:

1. Green
2. Brown
3. Taylor
4. Slaton

Walker is not eligible for the PS........Slaton's the only eliglible RB.........and that's not going to happen.

I think Spec can answer that better than myself.

No offense, but what he did in College means nothing to me at this time. :cool:

Grant and Walker were one after the other. So no he did not beat out Grant. Walker was and is average like I said. I am not sugar coating or praising Walker cause I am a ND fan, like Bill thinks. Hence why I said he was a good 4th Running Back option.

Walker does everything that is asked, he just does not do it on a probowl level.

The reason Grant was not drafted is cause he had some minor issues in college and was dismissed from the team for a season (If memory serves). Also ND record against top compition was a major factor.

I follow Notre Dame more than most here at TexansTalk. Also, look at all the guys who did a lot in college and failed and all the ones who did nothing and succeeded, is why not to look at what they did in college now that the draft is over for that particular player.

I agree with this 100%

i think taylor is the favorite to make it through camp based on what the coaches have said and seen. we are a bunch of boobs basing our opinions on virtually no information at all. the coaches have never been very warm and fuzzy in regards to Walker whereas Taylor has always been in the huggy, yummy goody goody bin but, i will say this, Kubiak has made it pretty clear over the past few seasons that the team will have little to no patience when it comes to injuries. Davis, Payne, Weary, Spencer, McKinney etc. (hell, even Dunta at this point) if you're hurt you are bumped to the bottom of the depth chart. It's you're job to get healthy and make it back. So, with that said, it's probably true that Taylor sits at the bottom where he'll have to out perform Walker to make the team but that seems like a pretty likely scenario based on what the coaches have given us to make gross assumptions with.

I agree with this 100%. Can we possibly keep someone in the backfield that is young and healthy? Ahman Green was a mistake for the Texans from the start.

I just hope they all come out of camp healthy so the coaches have a hard decision. Someone earlier had said Slaton is guaranteed a spot. I remember Kubes saying he didn't care how much you made or who you were, who ever earned the job is who gets the job.:thinking:

It's kind of funny to read these post; Green is our number 1 back IF he makes the team. The common theme of it all is one or done.

With Gibbs and Kubiak trying to replicate the success they have had in the past coupled with Green and Brown (two talented, but maligned players) they need able bodies and patienty focused minds in the backfield. Just like post Terrell Davis - the expectation is that anyone called upon has to deliver or else the next guy will.

Walker and Taylor are two guys that know the system, have been trained to execute accrodingly and in some way will have a roster spot or be reserved in some form (perhaps he still has PS capability due to being out for most of last year).

Of course that is my opinion and it usually sticks to me.

17 days until training camp. :texflag:

I just hope they all come out of camp healthy so the coaches have a hard decision. Someone earlier had said Slaton is guaranteed a spot. I remember Kubes saying he didn't care how much you made or who you were, who ever earned the job is who gets the job.:thinking:

That evidently goes for everyone except MS.

What Walker showed last year was pretty good vision for finding the hole, a little below average speed and way below average power. He got exactly what the offensive line gave him, nothing more and nothing less. The first guy to touch him with more than a simple arm tackle brought him down every time, and some arm tackles brought him down too.

IMHO, Walker is bound for the practice squad unless another RB gets injured. That is assuming that Kubiak decides to carry 4 RB's on the 53 man roster. If Kubiak only carries 3 RB's (which is what he usually does), then Walker will need two guys to get hurt.

Back