Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

"Green healthy for second season in Houston" - Yahoo Sports

indiantexan

Waterboy
From yahoo sports : "Ahman Green was supposed to be the answer to Houston’s rushing woes when he joined the team last season.

Instead the former Green Bay back was limited to 70 carries for 260 yards as he dealt with a nagging knee problem.

The Texans signed free agent Chris Brown this offseason, but plan to rely on Green as the starter. Green, 31, says he’s past his injury and ready to play, but questions remain about his health.

“He looks good. He’s had a good offseason,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I want to knock on something every time I say that. He’s been a good worker in the program. He hasn’t missed a day.”

The injury was first listed as a bone bruise and soon led to knee swelling. Numerous tests didn’t uncover any other injuries but the injury caused him to miss all or part of 10 games." http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...lDubYF?slug=ap-texans-green&prov=ap&type=lgns

Hate to be a pessimist about this, but I'm not counting on Ahman Green. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's got a recent history of being injury-prone.

It would be great if he got over 1,000 yards this seaon, but who here thinks that's going to happen?

I'm betting he gets another 300-400 yards, tops.

Hate to be a pessimist about this, but I'm not counting on Ahman Green. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's got a recent history of being injury-prone.

It would be great if he got over 1,000 yards this seaon, but who here thinks that's going to happen?

I'm betting he gets another 300-400 yards, tops.

^^^ :gun: ^^^

I think we are pretty much set on Running back what do we got like 5 at training come game time cut a few and we should have 3 or 2 running back for the season

Every single off-season article about Ahman Green over his entire career talks about how good he looks. He really does take care of his body and is an exercise nut.

Doesn't say squat whether the inside will hold up though.

Good luck to him. I saw enough flashes of good things last season, even with him dragging leg, that it would be fun to see a healthy Green. He showed some good vision in games.

The 'bone bruise' monster is sleeping, just waiting for another knock on the door. I expect a reprise.

If he can stay healthy he does not have the miles that a typical 30+ year old running back has due to not playing right out of college and having a couple of injury shortened seasons.

Ahman Green going down this year will not be as big of an issue as it was last year. In my opinion our running game will be, at worst, in the middle of the league.

I saw enough flashes of good things last season, even with him dragging leg, that it would be fun to see a healthy Green. He showed some good vision in games.

I would say it was the definition of explosive. He'd get a tiny little crease and he could explode onto the second level. I'll never forget that run where he lowered his shoulder after exploding through the line and just destroyed the safety or LB and ran for another 20 yards. Of course it was week one against KC but if healthy I think he can really be great.

Of course he is healthy now. He was at this time last season also, but will he be still healthy by week 8. I'm with AJ on this one, I look for a recurrence of the bone bruise on the knee. If he can stay healthy, we will do some nice things in the running game.

If he can stay healthy he does not have the miles that a typical 30+ year old running back has due to not playing right out of college and having a couple of injury shortened seasons.

Ahman Green going down this year will not be as big of an issue as it was last year. In my opinion our running game will be, at worst, in the middle of the league.

I totally agree. Look what we had last year behind Green. Dayne (pretty sure everyone knows my stance on this guy), Walker (slow UDFA), Gado (Dayne Jr), Etchamofdsgfd (1 run + 1 fumble = C-ya). Heck, Cook even took a few handoffs.

IMO, Green, Brown, Slaton and Taylor will get'r done this season. Getting rid of Dayne instantly adds 200-300 yards to last years total.

:fans:

He looked great in both of the first 2 games until the injury at Carolina. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and the young 'uns can learn something from him. I wonder if the Texans will look at carrying 4 RBs on the roster. Maybe just carry 1 FB since they've seemed to carry 3/2 over the past couple of years. Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor or Walker, and Leach. I guess they could carry 4/2, but that's a lot of RBs to carry out of a 53 man roster.

He looked great in both of the first 2 games until the injury at Carolina. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and the young 'uns can learn something from him. I wonder if the Texans will look at carrying 4 RBs on the roster. Maybe just carry 1 FB since they've seemed to carry 3/2 over the past couple of years. Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor or Walker, and Leach. I guess they could carry 4/2, but that's a lot of RBs to carry out of a 53 man roster.

IIRC, Green was hurt the very first game against KC and tried to play through it.

I really hope Green stays healthy. If he does, I think he'll do really well. He has a lot of speed and quickness still even though he's older. The limited carries we saw him last year, I thought he looked great. However, I think he's gone after this year- barring an incredible pro bowl calibre performance.

The one thing that kind of confuses me is how does he really fit into Gibbs' ZBS? Seems we were taking a lot of player from Denver and Green Bay to help the younger players. Now we're straying away from the Green Bay blocking/rushing style. I think that's a big reason why Chris Brown was brought in the offseason, the coaches think he's a great fit for our new ZBS... but will Ahman be even if healthy? He seems to have the vision, acceleration, and is able to cut so I sure hope so.

All I know if (big if) both Green and Brown are healthy for the season, we're going to be doing VERY well in the rushing department, and that will only help out our passing game.

I wouldn’t hurt me one bit to see them cut Green. He’ll never produce like he use to. Here’s to hoping he’ll prove me wrong…

Oh, I had not heard that before. It has always been said KC by media folk. IIRC, Kubiak even mentioned it a time or two.
Green actually came out of the Week 2 Carolina game due to the knee. But, I remember Green saying he first hurt it in the Arizona game. If someone has a copy of that game, Green takes a helmet-to-knee shot, comes off the field, then re-enters the game. He kept playing, and the knee got progressively worse until he had to leave the Panthers game. It was touch and go the rest of the way, until Green was placed on IR Week 14.

Green actually came out of the Week 2 Carolina game due to the knee. But, I remember Green saying he first hurt it in the Arizona game. If someone has a copy of that game, Green takes a helmet-to-knee shot, comes off the field, then re-enters the game. He kept playing, and the knee got progressively worse until he had to leave the Panthers game. It was touch and go the rest of the way, until Green was placed on IR Week 14.

See, I remember that hit being in the KC game. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet it was. If my internet wasn't jacked up today I'd look for it. :)

"Sweet Crunkitude"!!! (To borrow a saying from Vinny)

cae_071108_z+rs_innovations_dodge_magnum+ahman_green.jpg

cae_071104_z+rs_innovations_dodge_magnum+interior_view_custom.jpg

I'd like Green to stick around long enough to get the 'Texans' version.

IIRC, Green was hurt the very first game against KC and tried to play through it.

Man. I don't recall that at all. I remember him limping off to the sideline during the game against Carolina, but I must have missed that he got banged up earlier. My mistake. I still think they might end up carrying more than normal regardless of when he got hurt last season.

AG ran well in Week 1 and Week 2 - up to the point when he took himself out of the game late in the 3rd quarter @ Carolina. Kubiak said after the game that Green was 'cramping' but there's a clear shot of Green and a trainer inspecting his knee on the sideline after he limp/jogged off the field. He hurt the knee again on the first play from scrimmage in Week 3 during the 'let's lose half our team to injury game' against Indy. It was really all downhill for him after Week 2.

I'll believe that AG will be 16 games (or even close) for the Texans when I see him active and playing for 16 games. I know it's possible and I'd like to be wrong about it but I have zero faith in his ability to do this.

I think we'll see some big yards out of Chris Brown this year. I think he's going to produce like a madman in this system. That's where all my optimism is placed right now where the running game is concerned. I don't have any left over for Green. Sorry.

This is the thing that bugs me....

The injury was first listed as a bone bruise and soon led to knee swelling. Numerous tests didn’t uncover any other injuries but the injury caused him to miss all or part of 10 games.

He still doesn’t know exactly what the problem was, but said it was extremely painful.

If the Medics found something they could go in and fix (a la A.J.'s recently scoped knee) that would make me feel much better about this not recurring. The fact that this kinda seems to be incompletely diagnosed bugs me.

This seems to be the continuing story for Ahman Green. "He's healthy now!". I have serious doubts that Green will make 16 games for the Texans this next season. In fact, in 11 season Green has only started a full 16 games twice. All in all, I think (should we hang onto Green at all) that it be as a change up back and mentor to Steve Slaton. All in all, Brown should get the majority of the carries.

In fact, in 11 season Green has only started a full 16 games twice.
Yes, but Chris Brown has never played a full 16 game schedule in his 5 year career. It's difficult to put a lot of faith in his ability to carry the load.

Running Back by Committee. RBBC. That's what we're looking at. Green, Brown, & Slaton could all see 100+ carries, be it by design or necessity. I didn't think Green would return, but he has and has been a good pass blocking/receiving RB in previous seasons. He could come in handy with the number of outstanding pass rushes the Texans will see this season.

Yes, but Chris Brown has never played a full 16 game schedule in his 5 year career. It's difficult to put a lot of faith in his ability to carry the load.

This is very true. However, his youth gives him an advantage over Green when talking about who would likely be more reliable. Green is not getting any younger and it will be much harder for him to overcome his past injuries than it will be for Brown. Given our options at RB, I would say it's certainly between Brown and Green...and that there is little reason to believe that Green would be more serviceable than Brown.

I think Ahman's fragility is the main reason the Texans brought in Chris Brown. If they use the two of them the way I think they will, they will kind of rotate unless one of them seems to be on a hot streak, or they want to take advantage of some weakness in the opponents defense. Taylor will be insurance (if he doesn't get hurt again), and Slaton will be the change of pace, 3rd down back, with the racehorse, breakaway ability. Anyway that's the way I forsee it.

I think Ahman's fragility is the main reason the Texans brought in Chris Brown. If they use the two of them the way I think they will, they will kind of rotate unless one of them seems to be on a hot streak, or they want to take advantage of some weakness in the opponents defense. Taylor will be insurance (if he doesn't get hurt again), and Slaton will be the change of pace, 3rd down back, with the racehorse, breakaway ability. Anyway that's the way I forsee it.

That's pretty much what I expect to happen also. Who ever is healthy and/or has the hot hand will get the carries in any particular game.

Or they might stick Slaton on the PS just to see how things fare for Green and his knee.

I'll believe that AG will be 16 games (or even close) for the Texans when I see him active and playing for 16 games. I know it's possible and I'd like to be wrong about it but I have zero faith in his ability to do this.

I think we'll see some big yards out of Chris Brown this year. I think he's going to produce like a madman in this system. That's where all my optimism is placed right now where the running game is concerned. I don't have any left over for Green. Sorry.

Thats fair enough :) Chris Brown is (and I'm talking out of my ass here, no TC to base this on) likely to pick up if Green breaks down (or more unlikely, does not produce).

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't mind the Texans carrying Green on the roster as long as they don't cut Walker to keep him. It just wouldn't make sense to cut a young back to keep one that is 31 and injury prone in those latter years.

Or they might stick Slaton on the PS just to see how things fare for Green and his knee.

Considering that other teams can sign players off of other teams practice squads, this would be quite the boneheaded move, as I'm sure we aren't the only ones that realize how much of a steal we got in the 3rd. If anyone is going on the PS, it's going to be Taylor.

Green actually came out of the Week 2 Carolina game due to the knee. But, I remember Green saying he first hurt it in the Arizona game. If someone has a copy of that game, Green takes a helmet-to-knee shot, comes off the field, then re-enters the game.
I went back and looked at my recordings, and this is what I saw:

This is the play in the Arizona preseason game, where Green takes a hit on his knee and takes himself out of the game.

2-4-HST 40 (6:53 1st Quarter) A.Green left tackle to HST 48 for 8 yards (T.Holt).
Green comes back into the game in the 2nd Quarter. He plays the 1st half of the Dallas game without incident and sits out the final preseason game.

In the last play of the 3rd Quarter of the KC game in week 1, Green takes a handoff to the left, trips on Vonta Leach's foot and falls into the pile.

1-10-HST 25 (:18) A.Green left guard to HST 28 for 3 yards (A.Boone).
Green comes out of the pile limping, coming to the sideline at the end of the quarter. Green returns in the 4th Quarter, with 4 consecutive runs to help setup the Texans final FG.

With the Texans up on Carolina 31-14 in the 3rd Quarter, Green takes a handoff on the left side, stumbles when making a cut back to the inside, and falls into a pile near the LOS.

2-6-HST 20 (5:06) A.Green left tackle to HST 20 for no gain (M.Rucker).
Green limps to the sideline, where he pulls up his left knee pad. I never saw any contact that would cause the injury, but he was at the bottom of the pile, where anything goes.

The Chronic's Megan Manfull reported last season that Green had originally hurt his knee in the KC game. But, I remember Green stating in an interview that he first hurt it in the Cardinals preseason game. I don't have a link, as it may have been on either TV news or the radio. That's how I remember it anyway, and it's pretty difficult to get anything accurate on injuries from the Texans.

Considering that other teams can sign players off of other teams practice squads, this would be quite the boneheaded move, as I'm sure we aren't the only ones that realize how much of a steal we got in the 3rd. If anyone is going on the PS, it's going to be Taylor.

I disagree, if Kubes is going to take 4 HBs and 1 FB (Best case senario) I think that Darius Walker would be moved to PS with Green, Brown, Slaton, and Taylor making the final roster due to the fact that, going into last year nobody could stop extoling this guys game. Although, I guess that's what TC is for, eh?

i like walker but he's clearly the runt of the litter, i'm just happy that we're deep at rb for once and that dayne is not an option

I disagree, if Kubes is going to take 4 HBs and 1 FB (Best case senario) I think that Darius Walker would be moved to PS with Green, Brown, Slaton, and Taylor making the final roster due to the fact that, going into last year nobody could stop extoling this guys game. Although, I guess that's what TC is for, eh?

Perhaps, then again, I have a feeling we won't be heading into Pittsburgh with four RBs on the depth chart. I get the feeling that someone will get the ax, much to my dismay it will likely be Walker. I was really impressed with him in what little a sample I had of his play. I'm sure Taylor is a solid player, but I think the love fest for him is a little unwarranted. Then again, Kubes is high on him and there is a reason that he's an NFL head coach and I'm not. Either way, our running game will be better by leaps and bounds next season.

The way I see it is Chris Taylor will be the insurance policy for Ahman Green with Slaton as the change of pace. We will go with Green/Brown, but if Green goes down we have Taylor who can give us a similar type of back. Slaton would remain the change of pace, while Walker (if we keep 5) will be the insurance policy guy.

I am glad that Kubes has had this problem before in Denver as I am sure he will know how to work all of this out.

Is there an injury I am not aware of yet? I understand what happened last year but last year is just thatlast year not this year.

Green is sick with ..... food poisoning of all things .

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/5806821.html

The way I see it is Chris Taylor will be the insurance policy for Ahman Green with Slaton as the change of pace. We will go with Green/Brown, but if Green goes down we have Taylor who can give us a similar type of back. Slaton would remain the change of pace, while Walker (if we keep 5) will be the insurance policy guy.

I am glad that Kubes has had this problem before in Denver as I am sure he will know how to work all of this out.

I dont see keeping 5 RB's ..... there just isnt room for that many on a 53 man roster even if they play ST . I expect at least one to get cut (Hopefuly Green).

That was why I asked the question. If they get hurt fine then give them the nickname but until that happens insinuate that they are hurt?
Not to speak for Vinny but last season was not the only season we experienced many injuries. I'm not convinced we have the best doctors in NFL and would like to see this team go a season without being in the top half for injuries.

Not to speak for Vinny but last season was not the only season we experienced many injuries. I'm not convinced we have the best doctors in NFL and would like to see this team go a season without being in the top half for injuries.

do you think we're finally deep enough across the board that injuries won't be catostrophic like in the past?

do you think we're finally deep enough across the board that injuries won't be catostrophic like in the past?

Having 17 players on IR is always catastrophic. We shouldn't go into the season hoping that we have enough depth to withstand leading the league in injuries. I think it's about time to change up our strength and conditioning crew.

I understand that we have had injuries in the past, but placing the comment in a thread about Amon Green and single out the RBs is kinda lame. How many OL did we have on IR last year? What about DBs?

Green has had two injuries in his career, so I am willing to wait and see how this next year goes.

Back