"Green healthy for second season in Houston" - Yahoo Sports

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by indiantexan, May 22, 2008.

1. indiantexan

indiantexan Veteran

From yahoo sports : "Ahman Green was supposed to be the answer to Houston’s rushing woes when he joined the team last season.

Instead the former Green Bay back was limited to 70 carries for 260 yards as he dealt with a nagging knee problem.

The Texans signed free agent Chris Brown this offseason, but plan to rely on Green as the starter. Green, 31, says he’s past his injury and ready to play, but questions remain about his health.

“He looks good. He’s had a good offseason,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “I want to knock on something every time I say that. He’s been a good worker in the program. He hasn’t missed a day.”

The injury was first listed as a bone bruise and soon led to knee swelling. Numerous tests didn’t uncover any other injuries but the injury caused him to miss all or part of 10 games." http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...lDubYF?slug=ap-texans-green&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Wunderbar.

Hopefully he'll stay healthy.

3. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Hate to be a pessimist about this, but I'm not counting on Ahman Green. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he's got a recent history of being injury-prone.

It would be great if he got over 1,000 yards this seaon, but who here thinks that's going to happen?

I'm betting he gets another 300-400 yards, tops.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

^^^ :gun: ^^^

5. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

I think we are pretty much set on Running back what do we got like 5 at training come game time cut a few and we should have 3 or 2 running back for the season

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Every single off-season article about Ahman Green over his entire career talks about how good he looks. He really does take care of his body and is an exercise nut.

Doesn't say squat whether the inside will hold up though.

Good luck to him. I saw enough flashes of good things last season, even with him dragging leg, that it would be fun to see a healthy Green. He showed some good vision in games.

7. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

The 'bone bruise' monster is sleeping, just waiting for another knock on the door. I expect a reprise.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

If he can stay healthy he does not have the miles that a typical 30+ year old running back has due to not playing right out of college and having a couple of injury shortened seasons.

Ahman Green going down this year will not be as big of an issue as it was last year. In my opinion our running game will be, at worst, in the middle of the league.

9. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

I would say it was the definition of explosive. He'd get a tiny little crease and he could explode onto the second level. I'll never forget that run where he lowered his shoulder after exploding through the line and just destroyed the safety or LB and ran for another 20 yards. Of course it was week one against KC but if healthy I think he can really be great.

10. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Of course he is healthy now. He was at this time last season also, but will he be still healthy by week 8. I'm with AJ on this one, I look for a recurrence of the bone bruise on the knee. If he can stay healthy, we will do some nice things in the running game.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I totally agree. Look what we had last year behind Green. Dayne (pretty sure everyone knows my stance on this guy), Walker (slow UDFA), Gado (Dayne Jr), Etchamofdsgfd (1 run + 1 fumble = C-ya). Heck, Cook even took a few handoffs.

IMO, Green, Brown, Slaton and Taylor will get'r done this season. Getting rid of Dayne instantly adds 200-300 yards to last years total.

:fans:

12. TexanBacker93

TexanBacker93 Hall of Fame

He looked great in both of the first 2 games until the injury at Carolina. I'm hoping he can stay healthy and the young 'uns can learn something from him. I wonder if the Texans will look at carrying 4 RBs on the roster. Maybe just carry 1 FB since they've seemed to carry 3/2 over the past couple of years. Green, Brown, Slaton, Taylor or Walker, and Leach. I guess they could carry 4/2, but that's a lot of RBs to carry out of a 53 man roster.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

IIRC, Green was hurt the very first game against KC and tried to play through it.

14. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I really hope Green stays healthy. If he does, I think he'll do really well. He has a lot of speed and quickness still even though he's older. The limited carries we saw him last year, I thought he looked great. However, I think he's gone after this year- barring an incredible pro bowl calibre performance.

The one thing that kind of confuses me is how does he really fit into Gibbs' ZBS? Seems we were taking a lot of player from Denver and Green Bay to help the younger players. Now we're straying away from the Green Bay blocking/rushing style. I think that's a big reason why Chris Brown was brought in the offseason, the coaches think he's a great fit for our new ZBS... but will Ahman be even if healthy? He seems to have the vision, acceleration, and is able to cut so I sure hope so.

All I know if (big if) both Green and Brown are healthy for the season, we're going to be doing VERY well in the rushing department, and that will only help out our passing game.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think he was hurt his knee originally in the Arizona preseason game.

16. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Oh, I had not heard that before. It has always been said KC by media folk. IIRC, Kubiak even mentioned it a time or two.

17. Toro59

Toro59 Rookie

I wouldn’t hurt me one bit to see them cut Green. He’ll never produce like he use to. Here’s to hoping he’ll prove me wrong…

18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Green actually came out of the Week 2 Carolina game due to the knee. But, I remember Green saying he first hurt it in the Arizona game. If someone has a copy of that game, Green takes a helmet-to-knee shot, comes off the field, then re-enters the game. He kept playing, and the knee got progressively worse until he had to leave the Panthers game. It was touch and go the rest of the way, until Green was placed on IR Week 14.

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

See, I remember that hit being in the KC game. I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet it was. If my internet wasn't jacked up today I'd look for it. :)

20. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

"Sweet Crunkitude"!!! (To borrow a saying from Vinny)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd like Green to stick around long enough to get the 'Texans' version.