Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans tackle holds own against Peppers

MightyTExan

It's go time!
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/281440.html

"We just had five guys up there that decided that we're going to keep (the quarterback) clean," Winston said as he readied to leave the visitors' locker room. "It's a total offensive effort; everyone knows their role, everyone's doing their job."

Asked about Peppers, Winston grinned.

"He's a great player; you won't find any guys as athletic," he said.

"I think that helped me; I go against (defensive end Mario Williams) a lot in practice. And I saw a lot of the same things they do. You know, long arms, powerful, fast upfield. So I kind of knew what I was getting into.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
I saw that article.

It may be the first article by a non-Houston paper to say really nice things about a Texans offensive lineman.

Eric Winston is one of my favorite players. Really well spoken, funny guy. It would be great if he could do good stuff in the RT position for a long time so we wouldn't have to think about it any more.

utahmark

markbeth
I saw that article.

It may be the first article by a non-Houston paper to say really nice things about a Texans offensive lineman.

Eric Winston is one of my favorite players. Really well spoken, funny guy. It would be great if he could do good stuff in the RT position for a long time so we wouldn't have to think about it any more.
i think we have 3 out of 5 line positions filled. and if salaam wasnt so old i might be willing to give him that position the was he has played so far this year. now our center thats another story.

Cjeremy635

Overtraining
i think we have 3 out of 5 line positions filled. and if salaam wasnt so old i might be willing to give him that position the was he has played so far this year. now our center thats another story.
Yeah, but if "Big Nasty" can make it back next season I think we will be OK for a couple of years (barring no further injuries). I know we need to look at some quality back-ups due to the age of Salaam, but I think the guy has done well.

Specnatz

Hall of Fame
I agree Texans_Chick, it is not often that a paper from another city writes like that. Normally it is BooHoo we got robbed, ala KC and its hack writers.

:d:

powerfuldragon

Enchilada Aficionado.

"I think that helped me; I go against (defensive end Mario Williams) a lot in practice. And I saw a lot of the same things they do. You know, long arms, powerful, fast upfield. So I kind of knew what I was getting into
i'm kicking myself for never thinking about it like that... our O line has to be good if they practice against our D line...

Can someone explain to me how this O-line can allow 0 sacks to a much vaunted D-line? I mean, is it really the QB play? I can't ever recall the line giving so much time to YKW. I know that YKW did sack himself quite a bit but the disparity in sacks allowed is amazing. What happened that made this a quality NFL OL?

quick reads is on the top of my head
But the time he has is something I've never seen before. I know he makes quick reads and has good pocket presence but he really does have a lot of time to make his reads as compared to seasons past. It's just strange.

BigBull17

Hall of Fame
What a horrible oline huh...? What a difference Carr makes. If we can do that to there dline, we should have a good season. We could be 4-1 at week 6. Freakin amazing.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
Can someone explain to me how this O-line can allow 0 sacks to a much vaunted D-line? I mean, is it really the QB play? I can't ever recall the line giving so much time to YKW. I know that YKW did sack himself quite a bit but the disparity in sacks allowed is amazing. What happened that made this a quality NFL OL?
It's a combination of things.

Our line play has improved by keeping the same guys together in the same system. Granted, they're not the same 5 guys we were starting in the first game last year, but at least they've been working together since last year. That helps.

But teams also learned how to get into Carr's head. Show him the blitz and he'd panic. Sometimes it didn't look like he had much time because he was running INTO defensive linemen when all he had to do was stand still. Sometimes he was running into defensive linemen by stepping BACK when he should have been stepping forward. Sometimes he was just holding the ball too long at the wrong times. Sometimes he was just inconsistent with where he was vs. where he was supposed to be.

But the following is what has really impressed me.

An integral part of this offense is the run. But when it's a running play, the QB has to fake like it's a pass. Every time. If it's a straight hand off or a stretch, he's got to continue moving as though he has the ball and he has to be consistent with how he moves. When it's a stretch play, you've got to reach out to give the ball to the running back, and then peel off and run the other way as though it's a roll out. One of Carr's problems was that he frequently didn't sell the pass fake when it was a running play. Then, when it was a play-action pass, any defensive player reading the QB knew immediately because Carr was doing something different than what he did on run plays.

When I watched the Colts game from last year, it killed me to see him hand off, start to peel off like a roll out, but then look back at the running back to make sure he hadn't fumbled. Totally different than when he really rolled out because on a pass play, he'd immediately swivel his head and look to see if the DE/LB on that side was in contain. As the game went on, his fakes would be less and less "real".

With Schaub, he sells the fakes. He gets more time because defensive players (and camera men) are biting on his play action fakes. And that buys him time and makes this offense start clicking.

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
He has wicked play fakes. He had on where my buddy and i were yelling for Green to cut back. Awsome playfakes.
Yeah, on the 77 yarder against the Chiefs, we had a 2 TE set with only 1 WR on the field. Pure running formation. Then when Schaub faked, he faked it perfectly. Everyone bit on the run fake. Including me and the camera man.

I almost felt sorry for that safety trying to cover AJ.

Almost.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
I saw that article.

Odd! My wife and daughter like him as well. What's up with the caveman look that get's the ladies attention? :)

Props to our OL, but especially to Winston for making Peppers a non-factor in this game.:texflag:
Let's not forget Salaam. He also did a nice job when Peppers lined up over him. Heck, our Oline all together played a fine game. There's no wonder why we always run the ball to the right side. Weary and Winston dominated on the TD by Green. AG wasn't even touched.:texflag:

Blake

MMQB
So thats what 2nd and 3rd round picks are for. Its been so long since weve had them, I almost forgot what they were good for!

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
I was really impressed with our OL! It's just what all of yall were saying before the game, well any game for that matter:

Whoever wins in the trenches will win the game. I would think it is safe to say our DL dominated their OL and our OL dominated their DL. Way to go winston and salaam! I thought Peppers would manhandle winston and we'd have to have a TE on him every play.

TexanExile

A New Hope
Very proud of Winston's performance, and all the guys who helped him.

I also agree with TC on the "well-spoken" part. Winston can flat-out break down some football. Makes Madden sound like a doddering *****, which admittedly doesn't take too hard of a shove. He's an excellent football speaker who definitely has a career in broadcasting when it's over...but let's hope that's not for a long, long time.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But the time he has is something I've never seen before. I know he makes quick reads and has good pocket presence but he really does have a lot of time to make his reads as compared to seasons past. It's just strange.

Risks vs Rewards...

Attack David Carr with Wreckless abandon, and you'd get an INT, a fumble, a Sack, or a Sack&Fumble.

Attack Matt Schaub, and you'll likely get burned for a 77 yard TD.

As much as we're supposed to be a running team, in both games this year, we came out passing. Over the middle, to the 9, hitting the screens... with this QB, opposing teams understand they need to cover everybody... meaning they can't blitz like they want.

4Texans

Veteran

Exithios

Waterboy
Risks vs Rewards...

Attack David Carr with Wreckless abandon, and you'd get an INT, a fumble, a Sack, or a Sack&Fumble.

As much as we're supposed to be a running team, in both games this year, we came out passing. Over the middle, to the 9, hitting the screens... with this QB, opposing teams understand they need to cover everybody... meaning they can't blitz like they want.
Alot of what we have seen the past 2 games is a mixture of good on the field play and excellent coaching. The team has been executing like they never have before and the coaches have been able to exploit holes in the opponents schemes. That 77 yard burn is an excellent example, all we saw was good execution by the offense but behind the secenes that play was formulated on the fly to exploit a conistent hole in the secondary.

My $0.02

The offensive line did a great job.

Defensive coordinators are beginning to understand that Schaub can read their defense and he will get the ball out of his hands quickly.

Which means the risk versus reward on blitzing the Texans have gone way up.

But, this doesn't happen just because of the offensive line.

When you call the right play and everyone executes, you are going to have good results.

Everyone on the offense is playing pretty good right now, including the coaching staff.

Exithios

Waterboy
The offensive line did a great job.

Defensive coordinators are beginning to understand that Schaub can read their defense and he will get the ball out of his hands quickly.

Which means the risk versus reward on blitzing the Texans have gone way up.

But, this doesn't happen just because of the offensive line.

When you call the right play and everyone executes, you are going to have good results.

Everyone on the offense is playing pretty good right now, including the coaching staff.
And this is the new key to our success. The success we have had with the running game as well as the passing game now makes the play-action and option plays a constant threat.

Here's to more 77 yard TD passes. :whip:

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
It isn't just the quarterback play, although that is a factor. The line just played better. They didn't miss assignments or mess up in their fundamentals like they did in many, many previous games. They need to do that consistently to maintain the level of play we saw last week. There was a big difference in line play between week one and week two, with the same QB.

Tulip

Veteran
I also remember the o-line getting some respect from the NBC Sunday night show. Collinsworth said he interviewed some members from the o-line, and they told him the QB play was making the difference.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Alot of what we have seen the past 2 games is a mixture of good on the field play and excellent coaching. The team has been executing like they never have before and the coaches have been able to exploit holes in the opponents schemes. That 77 yard burn is an excellent example, all we saw was good execution by the offense but behind the secenes that play was formulated on the fly to exploit a conistent hole in the secondary.

My $0.02
Those plays were consistently available to us last year. But our QB had a tendency to throw the ball behind the recievers when he needed to put it in front, In front, when he needed to put it behind. Low for no good reason, & where the defense could make a better play on the ball than our guy.

Sure he had a stronger arm than the new #8, but he had no clue what ball placement meant.

When Schaub threw that ball, that got Andre Smacked up, he knew that was a bad throw, even though it was a completion.

When David threw that ball to Cook in the NYGiants game that Jameel took the big hit, and fumbled the ball, I have a feeling David thought, "Well I threw a good pass" even though he led Jameel right into the defender.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
Oh, I get it. Carr is gone, so now we're making excuses for Cook's fumbling. It was the QBs fault, lol. :)

I'm just kidding. IIRC, you're right anyway.

rickyb

Scarlet is hot.
http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/281440.html

"We just had five guys up there that decided that we're going to keep (the quarterback) clean," Winston said as he readied to leave the visitors' locker room. "It's a total offensive effort; everyone knows their role, everyone's doing their job."

"I think that helped me; I go against (defensive end Mario Williams) a lot in practice. And I saw a lot of the same things they do. You know, long arms, powerful, fast upfield. So I kind of knew what I was getting into.
Here's to all the Winston Doubters.
"His arms are too short."
"Looks like T-Rex."
"Doesn't translate to the NFL at tackle."
"Move him to guard."

Here's to you! Cheers. :shades:

Good on ya, Winston!!
:fans: :respect:

Rick

Matt

Blogfather
The QB makes a huge difference if he will just get rid of the ball. Schaub only rolls out (a) when the play is designed that way or (b) when he actually needs to. YKW ran INTO sacks because he panicked and ran to the first glimpse of daylight he saw.

Also, Peppers has a tendency to disappear completely in games for some reason. He had 0 tackles and 0 sacks in the Super Bowl. If there is one knock against him, that would be it.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It isn't just the quarterback play, although that is a factor. The line just played better. They didn't miss assignments or mess up in their fundamentals like they did in many, many previous games. They need to do that consistently to maintain the level of play we saw last week. There was a big difference in line play between week one and week two, with the same QB.
I'm all for feeling good about our team, but we can't say we didn't miss assignments or mess up in the fundamentals.

There were several mistakes made by the OL(leaving their blocks too soon, advancing to the second level without at least chipping the defensive lineman, Vonta Leech looking too far downfiel, and not blocking the first threat in a whole)... While I won't call Ahman Green, Ron Dayne, and Matt Schaub playmakers just yet, they were able to overcome those mistakes, or at least not let them turn into really bad plays.

We look good overall, we totally dominated two middle of the road, on the bubble teams(Well, KC was on the bubble last year).

But if we ever put together a perfect game, it could get pretty scary around here.

R

real

If the O-line, or any unit for that matter, ever comes out of a game feeling like they played "flawless" football, we're in trouble. I think Kubiak is the kind of coach that will congratulate his players, yet at the same time let them know there is always room for improvement. This is a very well coached team, and low key a very talented one. The sky is the limit, and with the mixture we have here there isn't a team in the NFL that we can't beat come Sunday.

That is all.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Risks vs Rewards...

If the left one don't get you then the right one will. signed Jimmy Dean "16 tons". We are definitely not a one dimensional team. I am waiting for a TE to haul in a pass and go ALL THE WAY!!

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I'm all for feeling good about our team, but we can't say we didn't miss assignments or mess up in the fundamentals.
They didn't miss assignments or mess up in their fundamentals like they did in many, many previous games.

I did not say they played flawless football. I said they played better. I said they didn't mess up like in other games. Like meaning in a similar manner or as much as, etc. In other words, they didn't screw up every third play. I know people come here to argue, but at least pick a legitimate point.

Anybody who thinks I think this o-line is flawless hasn't been paying attention.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
If the O-line, or any unit for that matter, ever comes out of a game feeling like they played "flawless" football, we're in trouble. I think Kubiak is the kind of coach that will congratulate his players, yet at the same time let them know there is always room for improvement. This is a very well coached team, and low key a very talented one. The sky is the limit, and with the mixture we have here there isn't a team in the NFL that we can't beat come Sunday.

That is all.
Wait a minute - aren't you the same guy who told me I was wrong about o-line faults, and that the team (and the entire NFL for that matter) have flawless pass blocking schemes?

edo783

Hall of Fame
T-Rex has sort of quitely turned into a top notch RT. IMO, in about the top ten of RTs at this point and still seems to be getting better. This is a very good thing. No more "Danger Will Robinson, Danger" coming from the right side and he is a devastating run blocker.

HJam72

Hall of Fame
T-Rex has sort of quitely turned into a top notch RT. IMO, in about the top ten of RTs at this point and still seems to be getting better. This is a very good thing. No more "Danger Will Robinson, Danger" coming from the right side and he is a devastating run blocker.
Good, let's give him a small, dead dinosaur.

NO, I take that back. Let's give him a live croc and see if he eats it!!! :fans:
:)

Captain Caveman came with his risks. He had a kneee injury, and that was one of the main reasons he fell to the third round. But before the knee injury, he was considered one of the best left tackles in college football. For that reason, he was a steal in the third round. Assuming certain things never happen, he will remain a great selection.

If Big Nasty doesn't play this year, I think he's career's over. I've seen several players try to come back from injuries that kept them out for multiple years, and I just think the odds are against him returning. More likely, the Texans will draft a LT next year or pick up another journeyman like Black. I hope not, but I think that will be the trend.

I'm not convinced the Texans o-line is playing that well. They are still making mistakes. I think the play-makers are covering up shoddy play from Salaam and the inside.