Texans tackle holds own against Peppers

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by MightyTExan, Sep 17, 2007.

1. MightyTExan

MightyTExan It's go time!

http://www.charlotte.com/sports/story/281440.html

"We just had five guys up there that decided that we're going to keep (the quarterback) clean," Winston said as he readied to leave the visitors' locker room. "It's a total offensive effort; everyone knows their role, everyone's doing their job."

Asked about Peppers, Winston grinned.

"He's a great player; you won't find any guys as athletic," he said.

"I think that helped me; I go against (defensive end Mario Williams) a lot in practice. And I saw a lot of the same things they do. You know, long arms, powerful, fast upfield. So I kind of knew what I was getting into.

2. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I saw that article.

It may be the first article by a non-Houston paper to say really nice things about a Texans offensive lineman.

Eric Winston is one of my favorite players. Really well spoken, funny guy. It would be great if he could do good stuff in the RT position for a long time so we wouldn't have to think about it any more.

3. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

i think we have 3 out of 5 line positions filled. and if salaam wasnt so old i might be willing to give him that position the was he has played so far this year. now our center thats another story.

4. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Yeah, but if "Big Nasty" can make it back next season I think we will be OK for a couple of years (barring no further injuries). I know we need to look at some quality back-ups due to the age of Salaam, but I think the guy has done well.

5. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

I agree Texans_Chick, it is not often that a paper from another city writes like that. Normally it is BooHoo we got robbed, ala KC and its hack writers.

:d:

6. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

7. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

i'm kicking myself for never thinking about it like that... our O line has to be good if they practice against our D line...

8. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

Props to our OL, but especially to Winston for making Peppers a non-factor in this game.:texflag:

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Can someone explain to me how this O-line can allow 0 sacks to a much vaunted D-line? I mean, is it really the QB play? I can't ever recall the line giving so much time to YKW. I know that YKW did sack himself quite a bit but the disparity in sacks allowed is amazing. What happened that made this a quality NFL OL?

10. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

quick reads is on the top of my head

11. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

But the time he has is something I've never seen before. I know he makes quick reads and has good pocket presence but he really does have a lot of time to make his reads as compared to seasons past. It's just strange.

12. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

What a horrible oline huh...? What a difference Carr makes. If we can do that to there dline, we should have a good season. We could be 4-1 at week 6. Freakin amazing.

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It's a combination of things.

Our line play has improved by keeping the same guys together in the same system. Granted, they're not the same 5 guys we were starting in the first game last year, but at least they've been working together since last year. That helps.

But teams also learned how to get into Carr's head. Show him the blitz and he'd panic. Sometimes it didn't look like he had much time because he was running INTO defensive linemen when all he had to do was stand still. Sometimes he was running into defensive linemen by stepping BACK when he should have been stepping forward. Sometimes he was just holding the ball too long at the wrong times. Sometimes he was just inconsistent with where he was vs. where he was supposed to be.

But the following is what has really impressed me.

An integral part of this offense is the run. But when it's a running play, the QB has to fake like it's a pass. Every time. If it's a straight hand off or a stretch, he's got to continue moving as though he has the ball and he has to be consistent with how he moves. When it's a stretch play, you've got to reach out to give the ball to the running back, and then peel off and run the other way as though it's a roll out. One of Carr's problems was that he frequently didn't sell the pass fake when it was a running play. Then, when it was a play-action pass, any defensive player reading the QB knew immediately because Carr was doing something different than what he did on run plays.

When I watched the Colts game from last year, it killed me to see him hand off, start to peel off like a roll out, but then look back at the running back to make sure he hadn't fumbled. Totally different than when he really rolled out because on a pass play, he'd immediately swivel his head and look to see if the DE/LB on that side was in contain. As the game went on, his fakes would be less and less "real".

With Schaub, he sells the fakes. He gets more time because defensive players (and camera men) are biting on his play action fakes. And that buys him time and makes this offense start clicking.

nero THE zero likes this.
  14. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

He has wicked play fakes. He had on where my buddy and i were yelling for Green to cut back. Awsome playfakes.

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Yeah, on the 77 yarder against the Chiefs, we had a 2 TE set with only 1 WR on the field. Pure running formation. Then when Schaub faked, he faked it perfectly. Everyone bit on the run fake. Including me and the camera man.

I almost felt sorry for that safety trying to cover AJ.

Almost.

16. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

Keeping Julius Peppers from sacking your quaterback...so easy a caveman can do it.

[​IMG]

SeƱor Stan likes this.
  17. TexansLucky13

TexansLucky13 53d Signal Batt

I think this picture deserves a new caption.

Pimpin'....

So easy, a caveman can do it.

:shades:

18. TexanAddict

TexanAddict Texan 'til I Die

I think this is my favorite stat from the game (aside from the score of course):

Link

19. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Odd! My wife and daughter like him as well. What's up with the caveman look that get's the ladies attention? :)

Let's not forget Salaam. He also did a nice job when Peppers lined up over him. Heck, our Oline all together played a fine game. There's no wonder why we always run the ball to the right side. Weary and Winston dominated on the TD by Green. AG wasn't even touched.:texflag:

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

They did open up a good hole but the real key was Leach taking out the MLB which turned a 3-4 yard play into a 13 yd TD.