Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-22-2006   #1
profan
Veteran

Default Sage for 1 Game.

I sure would like to see Sage start for one game. Not to bash carr, but to see what he can do. He has 3 td's in less than 1/2 of a game. Carr has 9 td passes for the entire season. It seams to me carr is dumping off short passes, when someone else may have a better vision downfield. We finally got the running game carr has been talking about needing, but we still only manage 14 points. While kubiak has pulled carr and has supposedly been tough on him, the fact is carr knows the position is his and there really is no competition at this position for the starting job. As long as carr plays anywhere from average to good the position is his. How will we know if we have a better qb on the bench if he does not get to start a whole game. He did well in preseason and in the titan game. Play him for one game, what could it hurt, playoff chances? Maybe draft position.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #2
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Sage for 1 Game.

You better duck or say your sorry real fast .
Old 11-22-2006   #3
wolfscar
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan View Post
I sure would like to see Sage start for one game. Not to bash carr, but to see what he can do. He has 3 td's in less than 1/2 of a game. Carr has 9 td passes for the entire season. It seams to me carr is dumping off short passes, when someone else may have a better vision downfield. We finally got the running game carr has been talking about needing, but we still only manage 14 points. While kubiak has pulled carr and has supposedly been tough on him, the fact is carr knows the position is his and there really is no competition at this position for the starting job. As long as carr plays anywhere from average to good the position is his. How will we know if we have a better qb on the bench if he does not get to start a whole game. He did well in preseason and in the titan game. Play him for one game, what could it hurt, playoff chances? Maybe draft position.
For me there's no real question about whether Sage Rosenfels is a starting QB - for any team. He's a solid backup and has proven himself to be that. I don't think there's anything left to prove, really.

And I know Carr throws a lot of short passes, but he's doing it extremely well and it's getting us consistent yardage (consecutive completions record - that's no mean feat). He did go downfield a fair few times last game - on single coverage for the most part - but Nate Clements didn't give Andre an inch of space on the long routes.

I do see your point: "what could it hurt?" But I just don't see what it could help. Carr is our starter and I'd rather see him keep developing than put Sage out there for another run out down the stretch.

Last edited by wolfscar; 11-22-2006 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Missed out quotation marks, slight rewording
wolfscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #4
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

To one of the member's points this is about the Texans. If the season continues to go south what would it hurt to develop our second stringer with a full start. The Browns game would not hurt anyone in my opinion if we cannot post two wins in the next three weeks.
Old 11-22-2006   #5
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 144920 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

How much does Sage need to develop ... I mean at this point who's the more seasoned NFL QB ?
Old 11-22-2006   #6
Wharton
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 11 Wharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVPWharton was voted MVP

I don't think DC's got it and therefore in the spirit of building for the future, play Sage for a few games. See how he does. Maybe we don't have to spend our first draft pick on a new QB.
Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #7
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO Texan View Post
Seriously!!! I mean are you really serious?

If we're going to be paying this kid big bucks for the next three years I want to see him to continue to improve over a full season.

Kubes has got him looking much better than last year and he did complete 22 in a row last week....REMEMBER!!!!

Jesus people get off of him!! I know we want to see more throws over the middle and deep routes, does'nt everyone? No one cheers for the dump offs and quick slants, but that's what this offense is based on this season so get used to it.

Until Kubiak comes out in one of his Monday pressers and says "I want to see David throw it downfield more often" We need to all shut the **** up about that.

He's rebuilding the kids confidence and mechanics this year. David was all but destroyed after Dumb Dumb Capers was done with him.Think about how jacked up your head would be after being the league leader in getting pounded into the ground for FOUR seasons.

Let Kubes work him over the rest of the season and the offseason and I GUARANTEE we will see a confident, gun slingin, bad mofo of a QB next year.

Otherwise I will eat CROW for breakfeast, lunch, and dinner for the entire season!!

Go David Carr!!!! And Go Texans!!!
Man, chill out. Just suggesting this position should be evaluated the same as others. How do you know which is the best qb if you never give your guy on the bench a chance in a regular season game? If Drew Bledsoe would not have gotten hurt, we may never have heard of Tom Brady. How do we know that Sage is not the next Tom Brady. Like, I said this is not a carr bashing, i cheer for him every week and will never boo the guy, but i would like to see what Sage can do. jmo
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-22-2006   #8
TEXANSTAILGATER
Veteran

Rep Power: 9 TEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballotTEXANSTAILGATER is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

our guy

Last edited by TEXANSTAILGATER; 04-20-2007 at 02:26 PM.
TEXANSTAILGATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANSTAILGATER View Post
Sage is our guy!
Sure! Just like he was in Miami behind Feeley and Fiedler. lol
Old 11-22-2006   #10
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Sure! Just like he was in Miami behind Feeley and Fiedler. lol
So where does Carr fit in that group ?
Old 11-22-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
So where does Carr fit in that group ?
LOL! Good point! I'm not sure. Let's give him another 4 years in the new system, then we'll know. LOL
Old 11-22-2006   #12
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

I felt we should have done this last year with Ragone towards the end of the season, just to see where he was at since his first shot a couple years earlier (disasters) and possibly to boost any kind of trade value. I don't think we'll see Sage unless Carr goes Kurt Warner or gets hurt though, although I am with you in that I would like to see Sage a couple times to see if the Titan game was just a fluke.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #13
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDizzle View Post
I felt we should have done this last year with Ragone towards the end of the season, just to see where he was at since his first shot a couple years earlier (disasters) and possibly to boost any kind of trade value. I don't think we'll see Sage unless Carr goes Kurt Warner or gets hurt though, although I am with you in that I would like to see Sage a couple times to see if the Titan game was just a fluke.
The Titans game was no fluke... Thats what Rosenfels is, a back-up that can come in cold off the bench and spark the O a little bit.. He's a pretty good relief pitcher - but by no means a starter.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #14
JDizzle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3602 JDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respectedJDizzle is a quality contributor and well respected

A little bit? That's the best the O has looked all year.
JDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

wow some of the point of views on this is funny
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #16
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 102753 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

What I find funny, is that Sage gets a lot of those yards and TD's late in a game and he's the savior... Another QB does the same thing and it's "he's padding his stats in garbage time" - Hillarious!!

News Flash: The Titans game wasn't nearly as close of a game as the 28-22 final might suggest.

Sage couldn't win the starting job in Miami - when it was gift wrapped for him. He's a career back-up and there's nothing wrong with that... A lot of teams would like Sage as a back-up and I'm glad he's here as our back-up.
Texan_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

well what I was going to say is it is funny that if Carr would have not been benched and did what Sage did, we'd call it garbage stats and that the Titans were so far ahead they changed their defensive scheme (I can't find the link, but McClain had an article and also a Titan poster (can't remember the name) but seemed pretty credible over the years with his/her football knowledge (read some of his/her work on the titan boards and not just on this board.

with that said, I stand corrected,Sage's stats are pretty good over the years so who knows maybe give Sage a shot(not that I am saying Carr hasn't played well and should be bench, but I am open minded)

everything you needed to know about Sage and his stats
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/...d7jrIQFTr.uLYF

and Carrs
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5887/situational
Old 11-22-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
What I find funny, is that Sage gets a lot of those yards and TD's late in a game and he's the savior... Another QB does the same thing and it's "he's padding his stats in garbage time" - Hillarious!!

News Flash: The Titans game wasn't nearly as close as the 28-22 final that people think it was.

Sage couldn't win the starting job in Miami - when it was gift wrapped for him. He's a career back-up and there's nothing wrong with that... A lot of teams would like Sage as a back-up and I'm glad he's here as our back-up.
you did a better job expressing my thoughts than I did
Old 11-22-2006   #19
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

News Flash: The Titans game wasn't nearly as close of a game as the 28-22 final might suggest.

I don't even remember that game ... how did we get that far behind ?
Old 11-22-2006   #20
SESupergenius

I don't know but this gets frustrating to hear. I mean Carr gets hurt in the 4th quarter of the Jacksonville game with the Texans up by a few points. In comes Rosenfels and doesn't do squat against the Jags and "does what he's supposed to do" in not causing a turnover. Then Carr does the same thing against the Giants and Bills and guess what, he's supposed to not let them score TD's.

Then Rosenfels gets mop up time against the Titans when the Texans are down by 18 points and everyone thinks he's supergreat because he throws a couple of TD's. Carr threw 3 TD's late against the Colts in mop up time, but seriously can anyone guage their performances from this???

It just such a crock at this point to debate Carr vs Rosenfels. The defense has let the other teams score late in how many games now?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read