Sage for 1 Game.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by profan, Nov 22, 2006.

1. profan

profan Veteran

I sure would like to see Sage start for one game. Not to bash carr, but to see what he can do. He has 3 td's in less than 1/2 of a game. Carr has 9 td passes for the entire season. It seams to me carr is dumping off short passes, when someone else may have a better vision downfield. We finally got the running game carr has been talking about needing, but we still only manage 14 points. While kubiak has pulled carr and has supposedly been tough on him, the fact is carr knows the position is his and there really is no competition at this position for the starting job. As long as carr plays anywhere from average to good the position is his. How will we know if we have a better qb on the bench if he does not get to start a whole game. He did well in preseason and in the titan game. Play him for one game, what could it hurt, playoff chances? Maybe draft position.

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

:hunter: You better duck or say your sorry real fast .

3. wolfscar

wolfscar Veteran

For me there's no real question about whether Sage Rosenfels is a starting QB - for any team. He's a solid backup and has proven himself to be that. I don't think there's anything left to prove, really.

And I know Carr throws a lot of short passes, but he's doing it extremely well and it's getting us consistent yardage (consecutive completions record - that's no mean feat). He did go downfield a fair few times last game - on single coverage for the most part - but Nate Clements didn't give Andre an inch of space on the long routes.

I do see your point: "what could it hurt?" But I just don't see what it could help. Carr is our starter and I'd rather see him keep developing than put Sage out there for another run out down the stretch. :twocents:

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

To one of the member's points this is about the Texans. If the season continues to go south what would it hurt to develop our second stringer with a full start. The Browns game would not hurt anyone in my opinion if we cannot post two wins in the next three weeks.

5. Honoring Earl 34

How much does Sage need to develop ... I mean at this point who's the more seasoned NFL QB ?

6. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

I don't think DC's got it and therefore in the spirit of building for the future, play Sage for a few games. See how he does. Maybe we don't have to spend our first draft pick on a new QB.

7. profan

profan Veteran

Man, chill out. Just suggesting this position should be evaluated the same as others. How do you know which is the best qb if you never give your guy on the bench a chance in a regular season game? If Drew Bledsoe would not have gotten hurt, we may never have heard of Tom Brady. How do we know that Sage is not the next Tom Brady. Like, I said this is not a carr bashing, i cheer for him every week and will never boo the guy, but i would like to see what Sage can do. jmo

8. TEXANSTAILGATER

TEXANSTAILGATER Veteran

9. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Sure! Just like he was in Miami behind Feeley and Fiedler. lol

10. Honoring Earl 34

So where does Carr fit in that group ?

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

LOL! Good point! I'm not sure. Let's give him another 4 years in the new system, then we'll know. LOL

12. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

I felt we should have done this last year with Ragone towards the end of the season, just to see where he was at since his first shot a couple years earlier (disasters) and possibly to boost any kind of trade value. I don't think we'll see Sage unless Carr goes Kurt Warner or gets hurt though, although I am with you in that I would like to see Sage a couple times to see if the Titan game was just a fluke.

13. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

The Titans game was no fluke... Thats what Rosenfels is, a back-up that can come in cold off the bench and spark the O a little bit.. He's a pretty good relief pitcher - but by no means a starter.

14. JDizzle

JDizzle I'm a dude

A little bit? That's the best the O has looked all year.

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

wow some of the point of views on this is funny

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

What I find funny, is that Sage gets a lot of those yards and TD's late in a game and he's the savior... Another QB does the same thing and it's "he's padding his stats in garbage time" - Hillarious!!

News Flash: The Titans game wasn't nearly as close of a game as the 28-22 final might suggest.

Sage couldn't win the starting job in Miami - when it was gift wrapped for him. He's a career back-up and there's nothing wrong with that... A lot of teams would like Sage as a back-up and I'm glad he's here as our back-up.

Wolf likes this.
  17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

well what I was going to say is it is funny that if Carr would have not been benched and did what Sage did, we'd call it garbage stats and that the Titans were so far ahead they changed their defensive scheme (I can't find the link, but McClain had an article and also a Titan poster (can't remember the name) but seemed pretty credible over the years with his/her football knowledge (read some of his/her work on the titan boards and not just on this board.

with that said, I stand corrected,Sage's stats are pretty good over the years so who knows maybe give Sage a shot(not that I am saying Carr hasn't played well and should be bench, but I am open minded)

everything you needed to know about Sage and his stats
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5557/situational;_ylt=AsYFA.TUzO.6H1d7jrIQFTr.uLYF

and Carrs
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/5887/situational

18. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

you did a better job expressing my thoughts than I did

19. Honoring Earl 34

News Flash: The Titans game wasn't nearly as close of a game as the 28-22 final might suggest.

I don't even remember that game ... how did we get that far behind ?

20. I don't know but this gets frustrating to hear. I mean Carr gets hurt in the 4th quarter of the Jacksonville game with the Texans up by a few points. In comes Rosenfels and doesn't do squat against the Jags and "does what he's supposed to do" in not causing a turnover. Then Carr does the same thing against the Giants and Bills and guess what, he's supposed to not let them score TD's.

Then Rosenfels gets mop up time against the Titans when the Texans are down by 18 points and everyone thinks he's supergreat because he throws a couple of TD's. Carr threw 3 TD's late against the Colts in mop up time, but seriously can anyone guage their performances from this???

It just such a crock at this point to debate Carr vs Rosenfels. The defense has let the other teams score late in how many games now?

Wolf likes this.