Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sage is our man

David Carr is David Carr no matter what offensive system you put him in. Rosenfels looks like a 5 year veteran and Carr still looks like a rookie. Bring all the excuses you want for the face of the franchise, but Sage will be starting by week 6.

the wonger need food said:
David Carr is David Carr no matter what offensive system you put him in. Rosenfels looks like a 5 year veteran and Carr still looks like a rookie. Bring all the excuses you want for the face of the franchise, but Sage will be starting by week 6.

ALERT ESPN, Houston Sports Media anyone else you can think of David Carr faces 1st team defense and Sage sees 2nd or 3rd D's, but you have him already to start against 1st team D's rest of season. I wish I was as much of a genius as you are:pigfly: . I think I will wait for rest of lynch mob to arrive with the torches and ropes thanks anyways:sarcasm:

10/17 for 99 yards, and their D was making him hurry alot becuase of the o-line and RB not picking up the blitz in the first couple of series. I don't see why you are saying Carr looked like a rookie he didn't do bad.

I thought David Carr played well. He did seem kind of jitterish but his play improved as the 1st half went on. The first two series' weren't good, but he didn't play poorly by any means. I believe Carr is the man. Kubiak probably thinks so too.

I was going to tell you to stuff it ... but Sage has thrown some beautiful balls this game.

My jury's still out on this one (Sage vs. second team, Carr vs. first team, big difference in playcalling for both Rams D and Texans O in two halves) but Sage is impressing at this point.

Sage has a much better understanding of this offense and looks a lot more comfortable. He will take Carr's job before this season is over.

I will agree that he looks more comfortable at this point. I wouldn't say he has any better "understanding." Even still, Carr was seeing a ton more pressure in the first half. It's too much apples to oranges at this point.

Sage has a much better understanding of this offense and looks a lot more comfortable. He will take Carr's job before this season is over.

then get ready to lose football games

I think we can safely say that if Sage is the Man, then Kubiak will start him. I think Kubiak has made his position on favortism very clear.

sage really looks good and carr looks like he normally does inconsistent and eractic, but carr doesnt have to worry for awhile anyway about his job the texans want him to do well. they are gonna give him plenty of opportunity. but so far through two game sage looks to be the better qb. thought peek and morency looked really good.peek is there best pass rusher that guy can make plays had two sacks and batted a pass in the air that williams should have intercepted.

jerek said:
I think we can safely say that if Sage is the Man, then Kubiak will start him. I think Kubiak has made his position on favortism very clear.

Agreed. Unlike Capers, Kubiak's number one priority is winning football games.

Agreed. Unlike Capers, Kubiak's number one priority is winning football games.

It's almost weird watching our games so far. I'm so used to seeing gym class football from the boys in white. My craw of PE teacher could have called better plays than Palmer and Pendry did. All of this winning-style NFL play calling, intelligent personnel decisions ... it's still like something out of a dream. That sounds corny but it's not meant to be; it's true. I watch our games with this irrational fear in the back of my mind, afraid I'll wake up in 2005 and I'll be back to watching Capersball.

Starters are starters and 2 and 3 string guys are 2 and 3 string guys, come with all the reasons why Sage would be starting, I guess you just forget about this.

Okay you only have 2 more weeks to convince us.:ok:

jerek said:
It's almost weird watching our games so far. I'm so used to seeing gym class football from the boys in white. All of this winning-style NFL play calling, intelligent personnel decisions ... it's still like something out of a dream. That sounds corny but it's not meant to be; it's true. I'm afraid I'll wake up in 2005 and I'll be back to watching Capersball.

I won't say that it feels like a dream, but I get where you're coming from. Having an actual NFL offense that moves the ball and isn't predictable is nice.

TFL said:
10/17 for 99 yards, and their D was making him hurry alot becuase of the o-line and RB not picking up the blitz in the first couple of series. I don't see why you are saying Carr looked like a rookie he didn't do bad.
Because they dont like him and it bugs the (you know) what out of them that they dont all agree.

David played very well PERIOD, some of you CRACK ME UP.

Bets NOW, you WILL have a AVATAR of David that I pick and next to it you will say I am sorry!

If the other way goes down I will apologize to you and say that you were right and I was wrong.

DEAL?

jerek said:
It's almost weird watching our games so far. I'm so used to seeing gym class football from the boys in white. My craw of PE teacher could have called better plays than Palmer and Pendry did. All of this winning-style NFL play calling, intelligent personnel decisions ... it's still like something out of a dream. That sounds corny but it's not meant to be; it's true. I watch our games with this irrational fear in the back of my mind, afraid I'll wake up in 2005 and I'll be back to watching Capersball.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I felt my Pop Warner dads I helped coach could have done better than last year. Not once...not a SINGLE DAMNED TIME was I ever confident going into a game with that incompetent coaching staff before a Texans game. Now, I love it. We've got intelligent football guys who know what they are doin.

What is the old saying: "The most popular player on the team is always...the backup QB...." There is a reason Miami didn't re-sign Sage and went out got Harrington as the backup......they didn't think Sage could do the job. Sage had alot of PT, and obviously Miami didn't believe in him. He is a good QB for a SHORT period of time...not the long haul.

Hulk75 said:
Bets NOW, you WILL have a AVATAR of David that I pick and next to it you will say I am sorry!

If the other way goes down I will apologize to you and say that you were right and I was wrong.

DEAL?

I'm not changing my avatar, but I will make a bet with you. I have a few nice David Carr rookie cards. I will pick a nice one and put it up against something of similar value.

What did CArr do, What I dont know what you guys want from this guy and really I dont care anymore have fun pulling this kid down, keep trying yuou only have 2 weeks left....................I wish we could all get together so I could use my voice instead of pounding my key board to heck.

David Carr is our man, get freaking use to it.

O yea we are 2-0 baby!

I'm not changing my avatar, but I will make a bet with you. I have a few nice David Carr rookie cards. I will pick a nice one and put it up against something of similar value.
Okay we will get together after 2nd period..............:swing:

If the bet is to man enough I understand. I mean it should be a lock for you right, your so sure about it. what do you have to loose?

On a serious note, I stopped collecting about 10 years ago or so, but does Carr's Rc really have much value? Just curious.

Mr.Scarface said:
What is the old saying: "The most popular player on the team is always...the backup QB...." There is a reason Miami didn't re-sign Sage and went out got Harrington as the backup......they didn't think Sage could do the job. Sage had alot of PT, and obviously Miami didn't believe in him. He is a good QB for a SHORT period of time...not the long haul.
Preach it!! Doesnt anyone else remember the threads and all the people saying "start Ragone"? Wheres he playing again?

Hulk75 said:
Okay we will get together after 2nd period..............:swing:

If the bet is to man enough I understand. I mean it should be a lock for you right, your so sure about it. what do you have to loose?

I don't plan on losing. I'll post a picture of the card sometime tomorrow and PM you to see what you want to put up. After tonight I'm more convinced than ever that Carr is not ever going to be a good NFL QB.

I don't plan on losing. I'll post a picture of the card sometime tomorrow and PM you to see what you want to put up. After tonight I'm more convinced than ever that Carr is not ever going to be a good NFL QB.

More convinced than his poor play from last year? Geez...

bigcarlos said:
On a serious note, I stopped collecting about 10 years ago or so, but does Carr's Rc really have much value? Just curious.

A lot less than they did when I bought them in 2002. A lot of people lost a lot of money on him, including me. His cards are now like a stock you just hold onto because it's nearly valueless and not worth selling.

TexanSam said:
More convinced than his poor play from last year? Geez...

He looked the same tonight as he did last year. I don't see any difference other than he actually had some time to throw tonight. Of course he still couldn't find receivers downfield. And he ran into a sack just like year. Honestly, I see the same QB that has been stinking it up for 4 years.

For the record, I couldn't care less who the QB is as long as it is the best player on the roster. Right now, Sage looks like the best QB on the roster and needs to see reps with the first team next week.

jerek said:
Man, Jerek! You were taking the opposite tack over on the game thread.:confused:

And if you're going to leave negative rep because you are so enamored with Davie Carr that you can't stand the thought of someone questioning his abilities, be a man and leave your username. I will not leave negative rep for people just because they did it to me... promise.

The game winning score was the drive at the end of the 1st half. Rose's last two possessions were 3 and out. Carr did just fine and played against the 1st team defense. The more he played the better he got. Rose was the opposite.

What everyone should be happy about is we have two QB's who can win and we won't be bothered if one goes down due to injury or is having a bad day. Every QB has those days.

They did different things under Carr than they did under Rose. We will wait and see, but the offensive line had a few problems to begin the game. It took a while for Spencer to settle down and Wand had to come in first and give Spencer a blow. Carr has always been a slow starter.

Remember, the 1st drive or two the team is always trying to figure out what the other team is doing and then make adjustments. Our coaching staff didn't do that last year, but they are this year. Remember, Sage is getting an opportunity to watch what the other team is doing it and how they are doing it before he comes in.

Just like the days in Oakland when old man Blanda came into the game. He was a different style and the opposition's defense was planned around stopping someone else. The end result was a highly successful QB.

The same thing applys here. They plan for Carr, because that's who they want to stop. As we move through the season we are going to get better and better. I keep saying 13-3. Looks like we can relax, because it looks like we have effective replacements for DD.

Our kickoff return game isn't as good as last year, but it looks like PBUC can make the punt return game a whole lot better. With every team there are differences each year. But no one expects us to do anything and that is just great with me. I hope they all come in here thinking we a 2-14 bust.

Marcus said:
Man, Jerek! You were taking the opposite tack over on the game thread.:confused:

Overall, the playcalling is still an absolute 180 from last year; especially offensively. Just because I don't think it's as good as it can be or should be doesn't mean I don't appreciate the absolute new dimension its taken on so far this season.

A lot less than they did when I bought them in 2002. A lot of people lost a lot of money on him, including me. His cards are now like a stock you just hold onto because it's nearly valueless and not worth selling.

What were they worth? It's been decades since I've seen new rookie cards for any player worth more than lunch money.

I understand what you're saying Ibar, I really do.

But just once . . . just once . . . JUST FREAKING ONCE . . . I would like to see Carr drop back, plant his feet, and loft a nice soft touch pass in the bucket like Sage did with Joppru tonight.

Do you think that would be asking too much?

Marcus said:
I understand what you're saying Ibar, I really do.

But just once . . . just once . . . JUST FREAKING ONCE . . . I would like to see Carr drop back, plant his feet, and loft a nice soft touch pass in the bucket like Sage did with Joppru tonight.

Do you think that would be asking too much?

Carr actually has done that numerous times, several last year that I remember (Mathis vs Cleveland, AJ vs Jax, to name what occurs to me off the top of my head.) Talking Carr is like politics; all party line, impossible to find or discuss the facts that exist somewhere in between the extremes.

If you are sure you will win the bet, why not wager your avatar - its no risk! Wager your house, your season tickets, aren't you going to win? :sarcasm: You have rookie cards of a player you think is one of the biggest disappointments in history? Why? Did you trade a Mickey Mantle rookie card for a Ryan Leaf and you think you should hang on to David Carr so you have a set? Years ago, you should have given them away or put them in the spokes of your bike, or used them to line your cat's litter box.

There will be a 20+ page Carr is no good thread every week until he retires. My question: what level of performance would he need to have so he would not be the worst quarterback in history? :hairpull: A rating of 90? 7 wins? 11 wins? A Super Bowl championship? An undefeated season, the Super Bowl championship, 200 TDs, 30,000 yards, zero interceptions, and zero sacks for the year and half of you will say "Carr is no good. He looked jitterish on one play."

If Carr IS benched this year (for non-injury reasons) then Gary Kubiak is the biggest screwup in history for not drafting Vince Young. ("We couldn't draft Vince, we have Sage!")

I think Sage has played well this preseason. So has Carr. I think Sage even played better tonight. If Carr had played like Painter of KC, then there would be a point to all the "Sage is better". But good grief, last week Carr had a higher rating than Rosenfels and ya'll still went off on a 20+ page "Carr must be benched thread".

My problem with Carr is: he's been the starter for 4 years, and we don't know what we have yet! But this is the answer year (now that we have a coaching staff). If he does prove he is the man this year, great, he is the starter for the next 8-10 years. If he does not prove he is the man this year, then he is NOT the man, and the Texans need to make other plans. (No, Sage Rosenfels starting for the next 8-10 years is not the plan.)

jerek said:
Carr actually has done that numerous times, several last year that I remember (Mathis vs Cleveland, AJ vs Jax, to name what occurs to me off the top of my head.) Talking Carr is like politics; all party line, impossible to find or discuss the facts that exist somewhere in between the extremes.

Those were bombs, where he throws it up top. I'm talking about intermediate touch passes like the one Rose threw tonight. Don't tell me you don't know the difference. I've watched every single Texans game. Again, point out a game where he threw one like Rose did tonight?

And spare me the party line crud. I'm not one of those Wonger Carr haters.

I have a great idea....let's debate the same ole crap day in and day out until it is time to debate the same ole crap again...what do you say?

Let Kubiak do his thing, we are off to a better start than ever before, overall the whole offensive unit looked sloppy the first couple of possessions and then they got into a rythm and looked pretty good. How is that any different from any other NFL game ever?

Carr looked off a bit at first, settle in and made good, sound decisions and throws, and got bettter as the game went on. We had protection problems early on also, our RB's weren't picking up the blitz i.e. Lundy. Morency lit it up, and did a good job with blocking, if DD can't go, he will be our starter. Rosenfels looked good, but faded a bit.

Defense did alot of bending but not breaking, had stops when it counted, Mario had more of a presence, and Peek tore it up.

Overall, we should be happy with our Texans, we have things to work on but should be very solid all around, good coaching can help that happen I hear.

Instead of all this excessive whining about who should be starting and blah, blah, blah. Let's give it a chance, and let the coaches and players do their jobs and enjoy the ride for a change.

Hardcore Texan said:
Instead of all this excessive whining about who should be starting and blah, blah, blah. Let's give it a chance, and let the coaches and players do their jobs and enjoy the ride for a change.

Good point, and I agree. I'm done with this thread.

Here we go again, you need to find a new favorite team Wonger, please follow your history on Sage before you post, preseason is preseason, Sage has been bounced from team to team, with only 2 starts in history, do you really think the Dolphins and Redskins would just dump this guy if he was a star waiting to shine, highly doubt it.......Sage is not a true reflection of a first string QB, 99.9% of the people on this board never heard of him until he came here......Only time will tell, Kubiak will play his cards right, :poker: This guy is a joke wait and see.....I'd rather have Joey harrington as a back up or Marcus Vick.....I promise you this guy looks good now but let's see him against the 1st string.....If I remember correctly everyone out here on the boards said give Dave Ragone the start MVP of NFL Europe now look at him, 3 teams later, from the Texans releasing him, to the Bengals now the Rams....this guy is a backup nothing more, he is no Peyton Manning, One man will not save this team, neither can David Carr save this team alone, only all 53 final members can make this team a winner, give Kubiak time to make David Shine, just like he has done with Plummer.........

Gee, another Wonger hate the Carr thread. Same old, same old. I guess all the other QB's that were 2nd and 3rd string that had a good game against their opponents 2nd and 3rd strings should be given the starting job as well. Nice deep and thoughtout analysis. :superman:

Thanks for the back-up SESupergenious.........Wonger take a good look in the mirror :tease: and find a new team to root for already, we all know how you feel about David Carr already ok......:ok:

Rosenfels did better against their 2nd team D than Carr did against their 2nd team D tonight. I know Carr has had great passes in the past and great games in the past and I've defended many times before, but tonight his backup outplayed him. He has developed a habit of not throwing for anything more than 5 yds (not counting run-after-catch), unless it is an 8 yd. stop-and-turn-around catch. I want to see him throw passes like he did in the first half of year 3 or in the Cardinals game last year and stop being a take-whatever-leftovers-the-D-allows you QB.

We all know that Carr has made DD the Texans #1 all-time receiver. Now, we have a lot more legitimate receivers on the field and not just a double or triple-teamed AJ and the dump-off to DD. I want to see Carr start acting like it.

In his defense, I will say that he did alright, just not good enough. He didn't suck or anything, like last preseason.

Back