Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nate Burleson Saga

texansfan1974

Waterboy
The Houston Chronicle reports that "Burleson will visit early next week"
This could be good. I think it would cost us one our 3rd round picks.

hopefully we can steal him for a 4th but i wouldnt mind giving a 3rd-hes a legitimate #2 wr who steps up to #1 if needed

I have no problme bringing him in. Would like to see how his physical goes and pay him #2 money. If we do get take him it changes the scales on selecting Bush in my opinion.

Here ya go in the Gaffney article

...Bradford and Gaffney were the Texans' No. 2 and 3 receivers the past three seasons. The Texans won't likely have voids at receiver for long, though. They are still awaiting word on whether Cincinnati will match their offer sheet of $6.4 million over four years to Kevin Walter, a restricted free agent. The deadline is Sunday at midnight.

Early next week, Minnesota Vikings restricted free agent Nate Burleson, 24, also will visit the Texans, whose offseason program starts Monday. Burleson is just two years removed from a 1,000-yard season.

The Texans also will visit with former Denver Broncos tight end Jeb Putzier next week....

So by next week, we may have more news.

Kaiser Toro said:
I have no problme bringing him in. Would like to see how his physical goes and pay him #2 money. If we do get take him it changes the scales on selecting Bush in my opinion.

i dont see how- we'll have to fill #2 through draft or FA anyway and if hes brought in with a 3rd/4th, it just eliminates the risk that a draft player might be a bust. i dont see how it changes anything with reggie

Maddict5 said:
hopefully we can steal him for a 4th but i wouldnt mind giving a 3rd-hes a legitimate #2 wr who steps up to #1 if needed

Because Burleson is a Restricted FA, the Texans do not have a choice in the matter. It is a third.

Minnesota does have the money to match pretty much any offer for Burleson, but this also means that they had the money to place a higher tender on the player.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Because Burleson is a Restricted FA, the Texans do not have a choice in the matter. It is a third.

Minnesota does have the money to match pretty much any offer for Burleson, but this also means that they had the money to place a higher tender on the player.
I thought that the teams could negotiate the deal and it could be less than a third rounder or am I thinking of somthing else.

ArlingtonTexan said:

no..its negotiable..the niners should've gotten a 1st and 3rd for lloyd from the skins..but negotiated a deal whereby the 9ers got a 3rd this year and a 4th next year

Burelson or Moulds or whoever. We need a experienced #2 or they will dog AJ every play-every game!!!

Bobby 119C

Here's some info about him ...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/burleson_nate

ANALYSIS
Positives: Explosive breakaway threat with impressive leaping ability … Shows a sudden burst coming off the line and uses his hands well to escape press coverage … Has an array of moves to elude defenders and shows proper crack-block techniques upfield … Sharp route-runner who is especially effective on underneath passes and crossing patterns … Has good field awareness and is very conscious of the sideline markers … Separates quickly from the defender in the open, showing that second gear needed to gain yardage after the catch … Natural hand extender going up for the ball and shows fluid body adjustments coming back for the off-target tosses … Very tough and physical going for the ball in a crowd … His upfield acceleration consistently allows him to break tackles … Always gets in the defender's way when trying to block for the ground game.

Negatives: Still learning how to vary his speed so he doesn't overrun on his routes … Erratic blocker who needs to show better hand punch off the snap … While explosive off the snap, he will gather himself before generating his separation burst after the catch … Has a tendency to skip into his cuts.

some Combine notes ...

4.51 40 yd

Maddict5 said:
no..its negotiable..the niners should've gotten a 1st and 3rd for lloyd from the skins..but negotiated a deal whereby the 9ers got a 3rd this year and a 4th next year

Burleson is worth the texans 3rd round choice. Lloyd was not worth a first rounder. No reason for the Vikings to give him up for less the the tender price. In fact, if anything the Viking could go give us more or we will match. Texans don't have leverage to be lowering the price.

Burleson is definitly worth a 3rd round pick, especially since this years draft has a poor WR class. I would be estatic if the team signned him, he is like Gaffney but better.

He would be a great fit for us. I hope we get him. I wonder if we could trade our New Orlean's 3rd for a lower 3rd and additional pick then sign him and Minnesota would get stuck with a lower 3rd instead (assuming they didn't match the offer). I guess the downside is that if they matched the offer, we would be stuck with the lower 3rd.

alright, honest mistake, but im curious about The OGre's suggestion of getting a lower 3rd round to trade them. trade down or trade up, either way it'd be better than trading one of the top 2 picks of the 3rd

Great year in '04. Had some injury issues that kept him out of the lineup for 4 games last year. I've read where he would like to go to Seattle where his family lives.

Man, this would be awesome. Bureleson reminds me of Peerless Price in that I think he can excel if he is the #2 in a good system, with a very good #1 to take the pressure off. I don't know that he can be "the man". Remember, when they had Moss protecting him, this guy was a 1000 yard WR. Folks, he is easily worth one of our 3rd's - a proven #2 at this point in the draft, when it's a weak WR yr and there are no guarantee's anyway. Sorry, but give me the proven guy. If we can sign this guy as our #2 and Walter as our #3, our WR problems are solved. Mathis is our #4 speed burner, and Armstrong and Starling probably fight it out for #5, and I actually give an edge to Starling because of Special teams.

I'm not sold on this .... this draft a too deep to use a high high 3rd round pick on Burleson ..... IMO

I'll take Burleson...not going to complain about that. I'd gladly give up a third round for him, saves the Texans from having to draft a rookie, where they can get someone with a little experience.

Speaking of Price, does no-one else think he'd be a decent acquisition, who would probably come quite cheap? He was pretty good in what limited playing time he got with the 'Boys last year.

Oh, and the trade-down thing doesn't work. It has to be our own third (or a higher one, which obviously doesn't exist).

Hmmmm,

Burelson played in 12 games last season and had 30 catches. Yes he did have 1000 yards recieiving in 2004, but he had only 29 catches the season before that. Will the real Rich Burelson please stand up?

I don't think the Vikings would challenge us too much. They already have Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, and Marcus Robinson. How much are they going to spend to keep a fourth reciever?

I for one want to find out why he was relegated to third or fourth reciever status last year. I guess if you extrapolated his stats out to 16 games you can say he would have caught 40 balls, but it seems to me that we need someone that will catch 60-70 balls opposite of AJ. If there is a good reason why he fell back then I'd say go for it, but if not I'd be really wary.

barzilla said:
Hmmmm,

Burelson played in 12 games last season and had 30 catches. Yes he did have 1000 yards recieiving in 2004, but he had only 29 catches the season before that. Will the real Rich Burelson please stand up?

I don't think the Vikings would challenge us too much. They already have Travis Taylor, Troy Williamson, and Marcus Robinson. How much are they going to spend to keep a fourth reciever?

I for one want to find out why he was relegated to third or fourth reciever status last year. I guess if you extrapolated his stats out to 16 games you can say he would have caught 40 balls, but it seems to me that we need someone that will catch 60-70 balls opposite of AJ. If there is a good reason why he fell back then I'd say go for it, but if not I'd be really wary.

I'm not privvy enough to Vikings football. Were they just a bad offensive unit, or was Burleson the sole reason for his underwhelming performance? In and of itself, those numbers do not make a strong case for the trade, but as always and since I have not watched myself, I suspect there might be another side to the story. Anyone else have a strong idea?

Mr Shush said:
Oh, and the trade-down thing doesn't work. It has to be our own third (or a higher one, which obviously doesn't exist).
The teams can negotiate on what picks they have to give.

We need to go after this guy if we can. He is a marginal #1 receiver and an exceptional #2. I would be willing to give up one of our #3 picks for the folllowing reasons:

1) He scored 9 touchdowns and had over 1,000 yards in 2004 (when he was #2 in Minny)
2) He is young (25/26)
3) He has an acceptable cap figure
4) He will be able to step in right away and play (as opposed to learning the ropes as a rookie)
5) The draft is very shallow this year at WR

Bsacamano said:
We need to go after this guy if we can. He is a marginal #1 receiver and an exceptional #2. I would be willing to give up one of our #3 picks for the folllowing reasons:

1) He scored 9 touchdowns and had over 1,000 yards in 2004 (when he was #2 in Minny)
2) He is young (25/26)
3) He has an acceptable cap figure
4) He will be able to step in right away and play (as opposed to learning the ropes as a rookie)
5) The draft is very shallow this year at WR

Bingo! We have a winner. Excellent second post. I welcome more. :yahoo:

I would rather go after this guy than Putzier at TE. We can draft a TE with our 1st pick in the fourth round (can anyone say David Thomas?). This is a seasoned, young receiver, perfect for taking pressure off of AJ. Plus, you know, he can actually CATCH the ball......as opposed to dropping it ala Corey Bradford

the only problem i have with this is knowing casserlys's history in trading picks for a player...his track record doesn't bold well for us

chuckm said:
I'm not sold on this .... this draft a too deep to use a high high 3rd round pick on Burleson ..... IMO

I tend to agree with you here. I like Burleson, and if our 3rd round pick wasn't so high I would say go for it. But I don't think I'd give up a top 3rd round pick for him. If it was our 4th I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I don't think it's possible to negotiate that.

ArlingtonTexan said:
Burleson is worth the texans 3rd round choice. Lloyd was not worth a first rounder. No reason for the Vikings to give him up for less the the tender price. In fact, if anything the Viking could go give us more or we will match. Texans don't have leverage to be lowering the price.

i know hes worth our 3rd but if he wants to leave and the vikes arent too bothered and our 4th is the best they get they could easily take it

Burleson is a great number 2 reciever... during the season where he caught for more then 1000 yards he was opposite moss so i think it would a good if we signed him... we'll see though

i'm just looking at it different way...looking at all the lineman, corners, and linebackers we could get at the top of the third round

keyfro said:
i'm just looking at it different way...looking at all the lineman, corners, and linebackers we could get at the top of the third round

We are not going to fill all of our needs this season, so I think we need to look at this as a 2 year process. If we take Burleson, that WOULD fill a huge current hole at WR. We could fill out the other positions you mentioned as follows:

1st pick 2nd round: Lineman
1st pick in 3rd round: Linebacker or Corner
1st pick in 4th round: Tight End
1st pick in 5th, 6th and 7th: Lineman/Linebacker/Corner

I think we need all of our picks. Nate was great but please post his numbers from last year. Dante needed a number two reciever and he was supposed to be their "go to" guy. He has a chance of being good but we do not need to take anymore gambles on these guys (SAGE) that noone wants.

RECEIVING

Year G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD
2003 16 9 29 455 15.7 52 2 7 1 17
2004 16 15 68 1006 14.8 68 9 14 4 50
2005 12 9 30 328 10.9 20 1 1 0 20
TOTAL 44 33 127 1789 14.1 68 12 22 5 87

was he the guy that caught the "over the shoulder" lateral from Randy Moss? or was it from Burger King?

Take a look at weekly performance by Burleson... I remember from the get-go he had hamstring issues in early part of season. Culpepper in the beginning of the season was a mess as well.

Burleson missed games 4,5,6,11, and 12. According the news...
www.rotoworld.com Nov 28, 2005: The receiver missed last week's game due to hip, knee, neck and shoulder injuries. "Burleson looks good," coach Mike Tice said. "He's had a good week. I think he's starting to come back. He's made some good plays out there. He looks to have more juice, more energy."

Hip, knee, neck, and sholder... at least his pinky toe was feeling ok. That being said, there could be injury risk but you can definitely attribute his poor performance in 2005 to injury.

I like his potential and would take him since he thrived as a #2 previously. You can't gauge anything off of Minn receivers performance last year with rookie WR getting touches at the end of a disastrous year and Culpepper being a turnover machine.

El Amigo Invisible said:
Dante was not hurt yet and this guy could not get more than 30 yards a game last year.

Well Minnesota had some real issues with their entire game, not just their passing game. Culpepper couldn't throw a completion for the bulk of the time he was playing, before he got injured. Plus, in 2004, Moss was still there, leaving Burleson constantly open. That's how he got all those yards.

Back