Nate Burleson Saga

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texansfan1974, Mar 17, 2006.

1. texansfan1974

texansfan1974 Veteran

The Houston Chronicle reports that "Burleson will visit early next week"
    This could be good. I think it would cost us one our 3rd round picks.

2. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

hopefully we can steal him for a 4th but i wouldnt mind giving a 3rd-hes a legitimate #2 wr who steps up to #1 if needed

3. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I have no problme bringing him in. Would like to see how his physical goes and pay him #2 money. If we do get take him it changes the scales on selecting Bush in my opinion.

4. rittenhouserobz

rittenhouserobz Hall of Fame

Burelson is a player that I would mind seeing here. Something about him says "solid player".

5. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Here ya go in the Gaffney article

So by next week, we may have more news.

6. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

i dont see how- we'll have to fill #2 through draft or FA anyway and if hes brought in with a 3rd/4th, it just eliminates the risk that a draft player might be a bust. i dont see how it changes anything with reggie

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Because Burleson is a Restricted FA, the Texans do not have a choice in the matter. It is a third.

Minnesota does have the money to match pretty much any offer for Burleson, but this also means that they had the money to place a higher tender on the player.

8. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I thought that the teams could negotiate the deal and it could be less than a third rounder or am I thinking of somthing else.

9. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

no..its negotiable..the niners should've gotten a 1st and 3rd for lloyd from the skins..but negotiated a deal whereby the 9ers got a 3rd this year and a 4th next year

10. El Amigo Invisible

El Amigo Invisible All Pro

He is not that good! :challenge

11. touttail

touttail All Pro

Burelson or Moulds or whoever. We need a experienced #2 or they will dog AJ every play-every game!!!

Bobby 119C

12. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Here's some info about him ...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/burleson_nate

ANALYSIS
    Positives: Explosive breakaway threat with impressive leaping ability … Shows a sudden burst coming off the line and uses his hands well to escape press coverage … Has an array of moves to elude defenders and shows proper crack-block techniques upfield … Sharp route-runner who is especially effective on underneath passes and crossing patterns … Has good field awareness and is very conscious of the sideline markers … Separates quickly from the defender in the open, showing that second gear needed to gain yardage after the catch … Natural hand extender going up for the ball and shows fluid body adjustments coming back for the off-target tosses … Very tough and physical going for the ball in a crowd … His upfield acceleration consistently allows him to break tackles … Always gets in the defender's way when trying to block for the ground game.

Negatives: Still learning how to vary his speed so he doesn't overrun on his routes … Erratic blocker who needs to show better hand punch off the snap … While explosive off the snap, he will gather himself before generating his separation burst after the catch … Has a tendency to skip into his cuts.

some Combine notes ...

4.51 40 yd

13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Burleson is worth the texans 3rd round choice. Lloyd was not worth a first rounder. No reason for the Vikings to give him up for less the the tender price. In fact, if anything the Viking could go give us more or we will match. Texans don't have leverage to be lowering the price.

14. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

Burleson is definitly worth a 3rd round pick, especially since this years draft has a poor WR class. I would be estatic if the team signned him, he is like Gaffney but better.

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

He would be a great fit for us. I hope we get him. I wonder if we could trade our New Orlean's 3rd for a lower 3rd and additional pick then sign him and Minnesota would get stuck with a lower 3rd instead (assuming they didn't match the offer). I guess the downside is that if they matched the offer, we would be stuck with the lower 3rd.

16. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

edit ... my bad ... TGIF

17. newbiefan

newbiefan Rookie

alright, honest mistake, but im curious about The OGre's suggestion of getting a lower 3rd round to trade them. trade down or trade up, either way it'd be better than trading one of the top 2 picks of the 3rd

18. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Great year in '04. Had some injury issues that kept him out of the lineup for 4 games last year. I've read where he would like to go to Seattle where his family lives.

19. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Man, this would be awesome. Bureleson reminds me of Peerless Price in that I think he can excel if he is the #2 in a good system, with a very good #1 to take the pressure off. I don't know that he can be "the man". Remember, when they had Moss protecting him, this guy was a 1000 yard WR. Folks, he is easily worth one of our 3rd's - a proven #2 at this point in the draft, when it's a weak WR yr and there are no guarantee's anyway. Sorry, but give me the proven guy. If we can sign this guy as our #2 and Walter as our #3, our WR problems are solved. Mathis is our #4 speed burner, and Armstrong and Starling probably fight it out for #5, and I actually give an edge to Starling because of Special teams.

20. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

I'm not sold on this .... this draft a too deep to use a high high 3rd round pick on Burleson ..... IMO