Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-26-2006   #1
Nighthawk
All Pro

Default With Young out of top 3, what effect on us?

Let's say that VY has screwed himself with every move since the Rose Bowl, culminating in the 6 on the Wonderlic (later revised to 16, negating the thrust of this thread) that has been widely rumored, and will fall at least to 10, probably lower. How does this impact our draft? Means that Bush, Leinart, Cutler, DBrick are top 4 in that order? Can we now trade with Jets and pick at four and presume to get Bush?

Last edited by Nighthawk; 02-27-2006 at 12:54 AM.
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #2
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
Let's say that VY has screwed himself with every move since the Rose Bowl, culminating in the 6 on the Wonderlich that has been widely rumored, and will fall at least to 10, probably lower. How does this impact our draft? Means that Bush, Leinart, Cutler, DBrick are top 4 in that order? Can we now trade with Jets and pick at four and presume to get Bush?
Depends, this might make this draft a battle for Matt Leinart. With either NY, Tenn or NO wanting to trade up for Leinart.

I used to think the Top 5 was the place to be. Now I think we have to stay in the top 4. We don't want to trade down and miss out on D'Brick or Super Mario, and we will have no interest in Cutler. I just can't see us taking either of those guys without trading down, if we do grab one of them with the #1 overall pick I will not be disappointed but it will be a bit of a "let down".

I would be perfectly happy with any of these three senarios.
- Us drafting Reggie Bush #1.
- Us trading down to #2-#4 and grabing D'Brick
- Us trading down to #2-#4 and grabing Super Mario

I think those are the only three players we have interest in with our early pick. Maybe if we trade down to 6-8 I could see us grabbing AJ Hawk or Vernon Davis but only if our whole coaching staff and McNair are in love with one of those guys. But that would be a huge let down for the fans and I don't see McNair standing for that.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #3
texman8
Veteran

You're so right. It's either Bush, D'Brick,or Mario. Did you see him on NFL network on their combine show with Eisen and Butch Davis. The guy was very impressive and articulate. ( D'Brick)
texman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #4
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texman8
You're so right. It's either Bush, D'Brick,or Mario. Did you see him on NFL network on their combine show with Eisen and Butch Davis. The guy was very impressive and articulate. ( D'Brick)
Not a knock against Ptts ok, but the franchise has needed a stud LT, for the
QB since Bosselli dind't work out. Now we got one, got the ammo to trade down and get our guy and even more help. But after last year...anything can and will happen. I don't see how they can blow this pick. But we'll find a way.

:brickwall
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #5
SESupergenius

Everyone needs to pull for VY because he becomes a great bargaining chip if his stock is high. Not only that, if his stock is high, people might want to overpay for him, or we may just evaluate him as a can't miss target and take him for ourselves. It's a win win decision if that happens.
Old 02-26-2006   #6
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

i was listening to NFL channel on Sirius today and they are still talking about VY to titans at 3. i just hope someone falls in love with VY or ML and we get a hell of a deal on a trade. we could always get drew brees or a real QB thru Free agency.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #7
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Auto Parts
i was listening to NFL channel on Sirius today and they are still talking about VY to titans at 3. i just hope someone falls in love with VY or ML and we get a hell of a deal on a trade. we could always get drew brees or a real QB thru Free agency.

you're consistent if nothing else ..... carry on
Old 02-26-2006   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just not going with this Wunderlic thing. Charlie said his people doubt it. I also don't think people all of a sudden have decided asking SAT questions diminishes his value. This stuff is just pure bunk to me. He obviously has succeeded in whatever he has done and I don't think this rumor will diminish this. Here goes months of rumors about random things.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #9
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog
I'm just not going with this Wunderlic thing. Charlie said his people doubt it. I also don't think people all of a sudden have decided asking SAT questions diminishes his value. This stuff is just pure bunk to me. He obviously has succeeded in whatever he has done and I don't think this rumor will diminish this. Here goes months of rumors about random things.

Whether the test was a 6, 16, or 46 one of the question marks about Young is his ability to translate his athletic ability to success at the NFL level. Admittedly, he didn't really flourish at UT until his was allowed to "be himself". At the next level, coaches will attempt to confuse him and force him to beat them with his arm and head. He will not be able to simply scramble to victory at the NFL level. Therefore his cognitive ability is not an insignificant quantity.
Old 02-26-2006   #10
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
Whether the test was a 6, 16, or 46 one of the question marks about Young is his ability to translate his athletic ability to success at the NFL level. Admittedly, he didn't really flourish at UT until his was allowed to "be himself". At the next level, coaches will attempt to confuse him and force him to beat them with his arm and head. He will not be able to simply scramble to victory at the NFL level. Therefore his cognitive ability is not an insignificant quantity.
I agree completely but what does SAT questions have to do with football smarts. I mean it isn't like football players have been the smartest humans over time. Do you guys ever watch Terry Bradshaw?The list goes on. If you are getting paid millions and you have to learn something you love, most will do it. I'm not even for drafting the guy but I don't think this rumor is affecting him that much and I still just read articles in Sunday reports with him at 3.
Old 02-26-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I agree completely but what does SAT questions have to do with football smarts.
no disagreement from me but how can we measure it then? just forget the whole thing? is the Wonderlic completely useless?
Old 02-26-2006   #12
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
no disagreement from me but how can we measure it then? just forget the whole thing? is the Wonderlic completely useless?
Not sure at all. I guess you just run a guy through what your offense might be and see how he picks up things. I just have a hard time linking football smarts and those.
Old 02-26-2006   #13
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

Quote:
you're consistent if nothing else ..... carry on

i try my best hell i might even break out the we need brady quins post. just to prepare for next year
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #14
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not sure at all. I guess you just run a guy through what your offense might be and see how he picks up things. I just have a hard time linking football smarts and those.
But you'll need to use a high draft pick and pay him a multi-million dollar signing bonus before you can truly get a sense of that ... risky business
Old 02-26-2006   #15
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Too bad the Vince Wonderlic score of 6 was completely false, making the assumption that he's out of the top 3 and this entire thread completely irrelevant.

Next.
DomDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #16
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
Too bad the Vince Wonderlic score of 6 was completely false, making the assumption that he's out of the top 3 and this entire thread completely irrelevant.

Next.
If you're not interested in this conversation, then log off
Old 02-26-2006   #17
DomDavis
Veteran

Rep Power: 13 DomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVPDomDavis was voted MVP

Quote:
If you're not interested in this conversation, then log off
I'm interested in spreading the truth to my fellow Texan fans, so when I see fans debating an issue that simply lacks relevance (i.e. isn't true), I'm going to log-in and continually remind y'all of such.
Old 02-26-2006   #18
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomDavis
Too bad the Vince Wonderlic score of 6 was completely false, making the assumption that he's out of the top 3 and this entire thread completely irrelevant. Next.

From KFFL:
NCAA | V. Young scores low on Wonderlic test
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:11:01 -0800
Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports there was word around the NFL Combine that Texas QB Vince Young scored a six on his Wonderlic test and scored another six on his second attempt at the test.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #19
TreWardTxn
Veteran

Regardless of what dude scored, I don't believe that anyone can show any type of statistical relationship between a prospect's scores on the Wonderlic test and pro football success, even at the QB position. I don't see how having players recognize numerical patterns and such, something they haven't done since middle school, can display how well a QB will recognize a particular coverage and its breakdown, something that they have been working on for an entire offseason, or at the very least, during the week preparing for a game. When a young safety makes a great anticiaptory break on the ball, do announcer say, 'oh, he slayed the pattern recognition portions of the Wonderlic test,' naw, they say the guy has great football instincts and studies a ridiculous amount of film. Like a lot of stuff at the combine, the wonderlic is overblown, mostly 'cause there is no other foobtall news to talk about yet. It's still fun to get your opinions in there tho...
TreWardTxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006   #20
DomDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
From KFFL:
NCAA | V. Young scores low on Wonderlic test
Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:11:01 -0800
Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports there was word around the NFL Combine that Texas QB Vince Young scored a six on his Wonderlic test and scored another six on his second attempt at the test.
Multiple sources, including 610's own Lance Zerlein (sp?) have confirmed that Vince made a 16 on the Wonderlic. The reports of six were incorrect.

Quote:
COMBINE OFFICIAL SCREWED UP VINCE'S WONDERLIC

A league source tells us that Texas quarterback Vince Young indeed scored a six on the Wonderlic test on Saturday -- but that the guy who graded the test screwed the thing up when determining how many were right, and how many weren't.

Combine officials, we're told, have re-scored the Young's test and the test of all other players who took it in his group. NFL teams will get the official Wonderlic results for all players later in the week.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Any of you who still believe Vince scored a six pretty clearly have some kind of bias against him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read