With Young out of top 3, what effect on us?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Nighthawk, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Let's say that VY has screwed himself with every move since the Rose Bowl, culminating in the 6 on the Wonderlic (later revised to 16, negating the thrust of this thread) that has been widely rumored, and will fall at least to 10, probably lower. How does this impact our draft? Means that Bush, Leinart, Cutler, DBrick are top 4 in that order? Can we now trade with Jets and pick at four and presume to get Bush?

2. LBC_Justin

LBC_Justin All Pro

Depends, this might make this draft a battle for Matt Leinart. With either NY, Tenn or NO wanting to trade up for Leinart.

I used to think the Top 5 was the place to be. Now I think we have to stay in the top 4. We don't want to trade down and miss out on D'Brick or Super Mario, and we will have no interest in Cutler. I just can't see us taking either of those guys without trading down, if we do grab one of them with the #1 overall pick I will not be disappointed but it will be a bit of a "let down".

I would be perfectly happy with any of these three senarios.
    - Us drafting Reggie Bush #1.
    - Us trading down to #2-#4 and grabing D'Brick
    - Us trading down to #2-#4 and grabing Super Mario

I think those are the only three players we have interest in with our early pick. Maybe if we trade down to 6-8 I could see us grabbing AJ Hawk or Vernon Davis but only if our whole coaching staff and McNair are in love with one of those guys. But that would be a huge let down for the fans and I don't see McNair standing for that.

cap1 likes this.
  3. texman8

texman8 Veteran

You're so right. It's either Bush, D'Brick,or Mario. Did you see him on NFL network on their combine show with Eisen and Butch Davis. The guy was very impressive and articulate. ( D'Brick)

4. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Not a knock against Ptts ok, but the franchise has needed a stud LT, for the
    QB since Bosselli dind't work out. Now we got one, got the ammo to trade down and get our guy and even more help. But after last year...anything can and will happen. I don't see how they can blow this pick. But we'll find a way.

:brickwall

5. Everyone needs to pull for VY because he becomes a great bargaining chip if his stock is high. Not only that, if his stock is high, people might want to overpay for him, or we may just evaluate him as a can't miss target and take him for ourselves. It's a win win decision if that happens.

6. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

i was listening to NFL channel on Sirius today and they are still talking about VY to titans at 3. i just hope someone falls in love with VY or ML and we get a hell of a deal on a trade. we could always get drew brees or a real QB thru Free agency.

7. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

you're consistent if nothing else ..... carry on

8. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm just not going with this Wunderlic thing. Charlie said his people doubt it. I also don't think people all of a sudden have decided asking SAT questions diminishes his value. This stuff is just pure bunk to me. He obviously has succeeded in whatever he has done and I don't think this rumor will diminish this. Here goes months of rumors about random things.

9. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

Whether the test was a 6, 16, or 46 one of the question marks about Young is his ability to translate his athletic ability to success at the NFL level. Admittedly, he didn't really flourish at UT until his was allowed to "be himself". At the next level, coaches will attempt to confuse him and force him to beat them with his arm and head. He will not be able to simply scramble to victory at the NFL level. Therefore his cognitive ability is not an insignificant quantity.

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I agree completely but what does SAT questions have to do with football smarts. I mean it isn't like football players have been the smartest humans over time. Do you guys ever watch Terry Bradshaw?The list goes on. If you are getting paid millions and you have to learn something you love, most will do it. I'm not even for drafting the guy but I don't think this rumor is affecting him that much and I still just read articles in Sunday reports with him at 3.

11. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

no disagreement from me but how can we measure it then? just forget the whole thing? is the Wonderlic completely useless?

12. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Not sure at all. I guess you just run a guy through what your offense might be and see how he picks up things. I just have a hard time linking football smarts and those.

13. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

i try my best hell i might even break out the we need brady quins post. just to prepare for next year:stirpot:

14. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

But you'll need to use a high draft pick and pay him a multi-million dollar signing bonus before you can truly get a sense of that ... risky business

15. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

Too bad the Vince Wonderlic score of 6 was completely false, making the assumption that he's out of the top 3 and this entire thread completely irrelevant.

Next.

16. chuckm

chuckm Hall of Fame

If you're not interested in this conversation, then log off

17. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

I'm interested in spreading the truth to my fellow Texan fans, so when I see fans debating an issue that simply lacks relevance (i.e. isn't true), I'm going to log-in and continually remind y'all of such.

18. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

From KFFL:
    NCAA | V. Young scores low on Wonderlic test
    Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:11:01 -0800
    Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports there was word around the NFL Combine that Texas QB Vince Young scored a six on his Wonderlic test and scored another six on his second attempt at the test.

19. TreWardTxn

TreWardTxn Veteran

Regardless of what dude scored, I don't believe that anyone can show any type of statistical relationship between a prospect's scores on the Wonderlic test and pro football success, even at the QB position. I don't see how having players recognize numerical patterns and such, something they haven't done since middle school, can display how well a QB will recognize a particular coverage and its breakdown, something that they have been working on for an entire offseason, or at the very least, during the week preparing for a game. When a young safety makes a great anticiaptory break on the ball, do announcer say, 'oh, he slayed the pattern recognition portions of the Wonderlic test,' naw, they say the guy has great football instincts and studies a ridiculous amount of film. Like a lot of stuff at the combine, the wonderlic is overblown, mostly 'cause there is no other foobtall news to talk about yet. It's still fun to get your opinions in there tho...

20. DomDavis

DomDavis Veteran

Multiple sources, including 610's own Lance Zerlein (sp?) have confirmed that Vince made a 16 on the Wonderlic. The reports of six were incorrect.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Any of you who still believe Vince scored a six pretty clearly have some kind of bias against him.