Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Hire Richard Smith as Defensive Coordinator

I think Smith is qualified for a DC job, he has 18 years NFL experience, has coached LBs for a number of years (desparate need of improvement on the Texans), was a DC last year and an assistant head coach with the Lions prior to this.

He is not the big name many fans were hoping for, but I do think he is qualified. He has to be an improvement from Fangio.

I trust Gary Kubiak.

That far, I have not been overly impressed. . .I'm willing to give the coach the benefit of the doubt (like I have any other choice in the matter) but my first initial reaction is not what I was hoping for.

Houstonprofootball.com is reporting that the hiring of Sherman is offical, however it uses the same source that Kubiak claims is false.

http://houstonprofootball.com

A report Tuesday night from the MetroWest Daily News suggests that former Packers head coach Mike Sherman has accepted an offer to become the next offensive line coach of the Texans.

The local paper, which cited "a source close to Sherman", serves a region just outside Boston, Massachusetts, in proximity to the Northborough community where Sherman was raised.

New Texans head coach Gary Kubiak likely asked Sherman, who will also have the title of assistant head coach, to join his staff given their shared past relationships with Kubiak's alma mater, Texas A&M. Sherman twice served as the Aggies' offensive line coach, first from 1989-93, and again from 1995-96.

Sherman left Texas A&M the second time to join the Packers as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach. Then following one season as the Seahawks' offensive coordinator in 1999, Sherman accepted the Packers head coaching position in 2000. After compiling a 57-39 record over six seasons in Green Bay, the team fired Sherman after a 4-12 campaign in 2005.

Sherman's hiring is the first by Kubiak where the incoming coach has such a long and impressive resume. There had been reports that Kubiak was interested in hiring Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison and former Falcons offensive line coach Alex Gibbs for the same job with the Texans.

Wow, talk about a interesting chain of events. I thought the Sherman thing was as good as done.

And Richard Smith as DC is quite interesting. Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.

Alright it is starting to take shape. I am really liking the words, tone and directness in Kubiak's answers as I read them. I would be interested to have heard the interview with Kubiak.

Very interested to hear Smith and see what his vision is for the league's worst defense.

TEXANS84 said:
Seems as though Kubiak is hiring "friends" just like Capers did.

This is the rule, not the exception. And Palmer was hired for, not by Capers. Coaches usually hire those they are familiar with and have confidence in.

So it sounds like this guy should be good at getting the linebackers in order. So what do we need now a d line coach,an o line coach and a LBs coach?

Everybody hirers their friends, the NFL is relatively small fraternity. The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions. If Smith is not getting it done, Kubiak WILL hold him accountable.

So after looking at Miami's defense rankings from last year it looks like they were fairly respectable, although they have more talent on that side of the ball than we do, and he was just the co-DC. Anyone have an idea of what kind of defense this guy prefers? 3-4, 4-3, laid back, attacking, etc? Any analogous scheme's to his?

blockhead83 said:
Anyone have an idea of what kind of defense this guy prefers? 3-4, 4-3, laid back, attacking, etc? Any analogous scheme's to his?
I believe Miami ran a 4-3 in 2004, then swithced to the 3-4 in 2005. So if that's the case, he's got experience in both backgrounds. Kubiak stated that he'd like to primarily be in the 4-3, but would like to mix it up every now and then with the 3-4.

This actually could be a plus for us, considering our personel on the defensive side of the ball.

Pure Speculation

Miami predominantely ran a 3-4 last year, however, I think this was more Saban's influence than Smith's mode of choice. While with Detroit, Denver, and San Fran he always worked in a 4-3. I think this meets Kubiaks wishes of someone that is familiar with both schemes. We will see some 3-4 this year (20%), but mainly a 4-3 look. The scheme will be moved more toward a traditional 4-3 as the necessary personnel is acquired.

FYI- I am still hearing RC Slocum's name being brought up by people close to the team. There is a possibility of him being brought in as the LB or D-Line coach.

you know this isn't the high profile guy but high profile guys aren't always what you need...plus you never know if this guy is a saban guy who was a belichek guy who was a parcells guy then he comes from a good line of coaches

So according to the article it looks we are steering away from co-defensive coordinator idea....idonno:

What happened to that? Did that idea fall to the wayside when we didn't get the other candidates...i.e. bates, gray, etc.

TEXANS84 said:
Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.
The biggest difference is that kubiak is a winner and has consistantly associated himself with winners.(Winners attract winners. losers,well...you know) I dont mind the hiring of friends if those friends are winners too.

bdiddy said:
The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions.

What evidence, or suggestion of evidence, do you have that suggests this? I'd certainly like to believe it, especially given the lackluster hires across the board.

Hardcore Texan said:
So according to the article it looks we are steering away from co-defensive coordinator idea....idonno:

What happened to that? Did that idea fall to the wayside when we didn't get the other candidates...i.e. bates, gray, etc.
I'm not impressed, I hope he's the rigth coach

I wouldn't mind having a quality individual like R.C. Slocum around at all.

Off topic.. I would have liked to have Jerry rice as recievers coach instead of the kid.(sigh) it was a sweet daydream

Hardcore Texan said:

Is there an explanation anywhere about WHY the defensive co-coordinator idea was thought to be a good idea in the first place?

Or is it just a title thing, to give two friends more money (sorry if I'm a little skeptical about GK's performance as a gatherer of coaching talent; I hope he's better at gathering players than he seems to be at gathering coaches).

Everyone wants a Big Name Hire but I am not overly concerned about big names .... Big names mean you have already arrived and may not be as hungry as someone who has not yet been recognized by the FANS .

Kinda like your first job .... where-ever it was you were making chump change and wanted more .... were you willing to bust your tail for it ? .... Im sure many of these people GK has surrounded himself with are .

I know Kubiak personally and have for as long as I can remember... about 1975 or so (he's my stepdad's first cousin and close friend) I know what kind of person he is, how hard he works and what he expects of those around him . :spy:

Nighthawk said:
What evidence, or suggestion of evidence, do you have that suggests this? I'd certainly like to believe it, especially given the lackluster hires across the board.

Yawn...

corrosion said:
Everyone wants a Big Name Hire but I am not overly concerned about big names .... Big names mean you have already arrived and may not be as hungry as someone who has not yet been recognized by the FANS .

Kinda like your first job .... where-ever it was you were making chump change and wanted more .... were you willing to bust your tail for it ? .... Im sure many of these people GK has surrounded himself with are .

I know Kubiak personally and have for as long as I can remember... about 1975 or so (he's my stepdad's first cousin and close friend) I know what kind of person he is, how hard he works and what he expects of those around him . :spy:
Young people want - need money and are more willing to work for it than older people. IMO

Nighthawk said:
Is there an explanation anywhere about WHY the defensive co-coordinator idea was thought to be a good idea in the first place?

Or is it just a title thing, to give two friends more money (sorry if I'm a little skeptical about GK's performance as a gatherer of coaching talent; I hope he's better at gathering players than he seems to be at gathering coaches).

Everyone has an opinion about the quality of the coaches. I'm holding judgement until we see how they perform. What is your basis for already deciding these are poor coaches? Who did you want for the positions?

OK, I think the hiring of Richard Smith as DC is a great move by Kubiak. Bush was a great guy and a hot name on the fast track, as was Smith if you remember when Miami started making their run. Smith is a coach/teacher. Think of it as gaining a more knowledgible Mike London that can run our defense. Smith knows LBs well and will greatly improve our tackling just look at how much he did with Channing Crowder and Jason Taylor who he trained well to be a move LB in the 34 system. Smith also has a good track record with Safeties, team that with Hoke and we are looking at a more aggressive defensive scheme aimed at creating turnovers. If Kubes can somehow talk RC into taking the LB or DL coach job then we are looking at the makings of a really good coaching staff. Smith could leave in 3yrs to become a HC and Hoke would be ready to fill the spot if he is still around. So far the coaching Hires have me excited. I was upset about Shanahan backing out of his deals with Kubes on allowing him to take certain coaches mainly Dennison and Brewster, but I guess it should be expected. If Kubes can still steal Brewster away somehow and bring in a good DL and LB coach I am feeling really good. Sherman excites me as an OL/AHC guy and I explained his purpose in a post about him a couple of days ago. People you should really be getting excited, I am gonna tell Coach C. and Mork to make another long post about defensive and offensive schemes possiblities.

Smith was defensive coordinator with Miami for one year (2005). The Phins defense finished 18th overall, 17th against the run and 20th against the pass. Smith has a lot of experience working with LBs so maybe between him an Hoke, they can cobble together a system that works. Smith will need help. It's a shame they lost London. The guys really liked him and he was good.

Smith and Vic Fangio are about the same age so I don't know where all this Richard Smith=Youth Movement inference is coming from. Smith is 50 years old and has been in the NFL for almost 20 years.

Speaking of working hard and expecting a lot from those around him....I'm sure our last DC did that too but unfortunately, as we all so painfully witnessed, that's not enough. Whether Smith's system works and the players buy into it will be the bottom line. I seriously doubt anything could be worse than what we had last year but my initial reaction is lukewarm on this hire. Hey, with low expectations the guy can't lose right?

Smith was here with the Oilers during the final two years of the Glanville circus and Pardee's first three seasons. He was let go when Buddy Ryan entered the picture heading into the '93 season.

I just happened to have a '92 Gameday laying around and there's Richard Smith (Special Teams/Asst. Offensive Line) pictured next to Frank Bush (LBs), Pat Thomas (DBs), Chris Palmer (receivers), Kevin Gilbride (OC), and Buddy Hackett...errr Jim Eddy (DC)....oh the memories.

After reading a number of posts on this thread, it just seems like that some can't recognize the difference between talent and coaching.

With the coach already here, you never take into consideration the talent he has to work with. You just blame him and never say there's a talent problem.

But when looking a prospective coaches, it's always "well, he did good with this team, but that team had a lot of talent", or "he didn't do well, but he never had the talent to work with".

This two-faced attitude towards coaching vs. talent has always left me dry.

And spare me this "it's what you do with little talent that determines a good coach" mumbo jumbo. In the NFL, if you have talent, you're a good coach. If the talent sucks, then you suck. It's always been that way.

Marcus said:
And spare me this "it's what you do with little talent that determines a good coach" mumbo jumbo. In the NFL, if you have talent, you're a good coach. If the talent sucks, then you suck. It's always been that way.

Bum Phillips would disagree. His'n your'n - your'n his'n.

aj. said:
Bum Phillips would disagree. His'n your'n - your'n his'n.
Oh, so tell me, old wise (Voice of the Fan :rolleyes:) one . . . how was Bum Phillips any different? I was around back then during those Luv ya Blue days. How was he any different?

I just told you.

Don Shula ring a bell? And what Bum had to say about him....

I think it was Shula .. tooo many years have passed.... but the concept probably holds true for others as well.

I don't understand your Voice of the Fan sarcasm. Please explain.

aj. said:
Nothing personal, but I just think they ought to have room for a dissenting opinion on the website, in case someone happens to disagree with what you have to say. But they don't . . so it's like . . who appointed you king?

You asked.

TEXANS84 said:
Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.

This might be a shortsighted view but I don't have all that much of a problem with Kubiak's hires as opposed to Caper's. For the most part, Kubiak's hiring young (and hopefully energetic, hungry, fresh ideas ....) coaches. Caper's hires, at least the top level ones for the most part, were older coaches ..... give me young and hungry any day over older and set in their ways ..... :twocents:

aj. said:

From my point of view, there are those on here that have an "air of superiority" in their posts whether it be from "years on the board", "perceived football knowledge", or whatever, .... they may not be that way in real life, but in their words it's very evident ... In all honesty, I've never felt that way about you though (aj) ... my 2 cents

chuckm said:
This might be a shortsighted view but I don't have all that much of a problem with Kubiak's hires as opposed to Caper's. For the most part, Kubiak's hiring young (and hopefully energetic, hungry, fresh ideas ....) coaches. Caper's hires, at least the top level ones for the most part, were older coaches ..... give me young and hungry any day over older and set in their ways ..... :twocents:

I don't care if the coaches are young or old or somewhere in the middle. If they know what they are talking about, can convey that to the players and are hard workers, if they can coach--that is all that is important.

Young people are not necessarily more energtic and old people are not necessarily set in their ways. Those characterizations are stereotypes. If you actually know the people involved, you can hire them for who they are, and not what they represent.

As an aside, I get the feeling that the titles of the assistant coaches are less important to Kubiak than just actually getting the guys he wants to work with in the door.

Everybody hirers their friends, the NFL is relatively small fraternity. The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions. If Smith is not getting it done, Kubiak WILL hold him accountable.

And you know this how? Seriously, were we sitting here 4 years ago knowing Capers and company were going to do what they did? I understand the need to be optimistic, but being old fashioned I rather have had just given Jerry Gray a chance, whether or not I was pals with him.

Texans_Chick said:
Young people are not necessarily more energtic and old people are not necessarily set in their ways. Those characterizations are stereotypes. If you actually know the people involved, you can hire them for who they are, and not what they represent.

thus the use of the word "hopefully"

I am not necessarily for the co-DC thing either, but that is what i kept hearing, now it seems that is not the case. Oh well, just have to wait and see.

Texans_Chick said:
I don't care if the coaches are young or old or somewhere in the middle. If they know what they are talking about, can convey that to the players and are hard workers, if they can coach--that is all that is important.

As an aside, I get the feeling that the titles of the assistant coaches are less important to Kubiak than just actually getting the guys he wants to work with in the door.

I WOULD characterize Capers, Pendry, and Fangio as older (in general and as compared to Kubiak's hires) and I WOULD also characterize these 3 men as "set in their ways" or "married to their coaching beliefs", or however I can state it without insulting some demographic .... the jury's out on Kubiak's hires ...

Marcus said:
Nothing personal, but I just think they ought to have room for a dissenting opinion on the website, in case someone happens to disagree with what you have to say. But they don't . . so it's like . . who appointed you king?

You asked.

That's a cheap shot imo. It's called voice of the fan, not voice of the fans. If you want a broad overview of the range of opinion on a subject, come to this MB. I am thankful that they allow a fan to post his or her thoughts on a range of subjects on the main website. I generally agree, but even if I didn't, the main website isn't the place to debate it.

Miami ran a hybrid defense that improved greatly as last season progressed, especially against the run. They were aggressive and fast. In addition, they got hit by the injury bug and had very young, inexperienced db's, which might explain some of their perceived struggles.

I like this hire.

I blame the owner. If he was bold with his money, a quality staff could be assembled. As it is, yawn.

Coaching staffs, not players, win in the NFL. If you're a player in the NFL, you have already established you are in the top 1% of runners, hitters, jumpers and throwers. It's what get programmed into the head and heart that makes a winner.

Sad that this owner, can't even think of his name, thinks going cheap on coaches works.

kingh99 said:
I blame the owner. If he was bold with his money, a quality staff could be assembled. As it is, yawn.

Sad that this owner, can't even think of his name, thinks going cheap on coaches works.

What's sad is fans assuming worst case scenario. How in the world do you know that is the reason behind this? Maybe Kubiack likes this staff. Is McNair supposed to go to his new HC and say no, I want some guys I can spend more money on them even though they aren't the guys you want?

Anyone who does not like this staff is off their rocker. We are getting solid teachers at every turn. We have a young, and for the most part inexperienced team that has not been taught about the nuances of thier respective positions. Man I can't help but be excited about the guys being brought in. I think this is turning out to be one of the better young staffs. I know you guys want the big names and guys that have been there done that, but teachers will be sure that the core of this team becomes winners and that will filter throughout the organization. Good Job Kubes, Hey go get Brewster, a good LB coach maybe an ex LB, Slocum, or a good college guy you can lure, Lock down Sherman and if you dont get him hire Carl Mauck as an OL consultant that way he does not infect the staff. I am still not completely sold on Shanahan's boy, but hey if he stresses catching and precise route running then I will not be mad at him. Plus he can go party with the players.

cadahnic said:
Anyone who does not like this staff is off their rocker. We are getting solid teachers at every turn. We have a young, and for the most part inexperienced team that has not been taught about the nuances of thier respective positions. Man I can't help but be excited about the guys being brought in. I think this is turning out to be one of the better young staffs. I know you guys want the big names and guys that have been there done that, but teachers will be sure that the core of this team becomes winners and that will filter throughout the organization. Good Job Kubes, Hey go get Brewster, a good LB coach maybe an ex LB, Slocum, or a good college guy you can lure, Lock down Sherman and if you dont get him hire Carl Mauck as an OL consultant that way he does not infect the staff. I am still not completely sold on Shanahan's boy, but hey if he stresses catching and precise route running then I will not be mad at him. Plus he can go party with the players.

I agree with your assessment. I can only speak about my opinions on the staff or any new staff for that matter. I want a mix of youth, energy, enthusiasm and experience. My concern is that Kubiak does not have someone on his staff or in the front office that has been there done that as a Head Coach. Granted, Reeves is conspiculously quiet and no decison on Sherman as of yet. Heck even RC Slocum would be a welcome addition.

As it stands, and someone please correct me if I am wrong for my own sanity, out of the coaches we have in place, inlcuding Kubiak, they have zero Head Coaching experience from college to professional.

If that is the case and we do not get Sherman, or Reeves in the shadows, I think he has failed himself before he begins. On the flip side Kubiak, seems to be a very confident and tactful guy that has the ability to process the mistakes and get it right moving forward. I have optimism as I think we got better due to addition through subtraction and then the hiring of Kubiak helped us even more.

I understand your argument KT. I would like to see a HC that can tell him more about what to expect as an HC, but as of right now we dont have him. Sherman will do big things in covering that aspect, but it is still up in the air, also Reeves being here and really looking out for Kubes I think will go a long way. At the moment it does not look like Reeves is going anywhere.

I am very optimistic about the staff and don't have any problems with the guys he has hired. I am not on the inside so how can I be critical about these guys when I know very little about them.

I have 2 questions regarding the Smith hire though; and they are not ment as negatives.
1. He has been in the NFL coaching for 18 years and this is his first solo DC gig. Why did it take so long?
2. When his name was first brought up I kept hearing that they wanted him as a co-DC because he has never called games. What has changed other than we could not get Bush?

I will definitely give him the benefit of the doubt and stand behind the team, but I was wondering if anyone had any insight into these 2 issues.

Back