Texans Hire Richard Smith as Defensive Coordinator

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tulip, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Tulip

Tulip Hall of Fame

2. Señor Stan

Señor Stan El Guapo

3. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

I think Smith is qualified for a DC job, he has 18 years NFL experience, has coached LBs for a number of years (desparate need of improvement on the Texans), was a DC last year and an assistant head coach with the Lions prior to this.

He is not the big name many fans were hoping for, but I do think he is qualified. He has to be an improvement from Fangio.

I trust Gary Kubiak.

4. Texans Pride

Texans Pride Hall of Fame

That far, I have not been overly impressed. . .I'm willing to give the coach the benefit of the doubt (like I have any other choice in the matter) but my first initial reaction is not what I was hoping for.

Houstonprofootball.com is reporting that the hiring of Sherman is offical, however it uses the same source that Kubiak claims is false.

http://houstonprofootball.com

A report Tuesday night from the MetroWest Daily News suggests that former Packers head coach Mike Sherman has accepted an offer to become the next offensive line coach of the Texans.

The local paper, which cited "a source close to Sherman", serves a region just outside Boston, Massachusetts, in proximity to the Northborough community where Sherman was raised.

New Texans head coach Gary Kubiak likely asked Sherman, who will also have the title of assistant head coach, to join his staff given their shared past relationships with Kubiak's alma mater, Texas A&M. Sherman twice served as the Aggies' offensive line coach, first from 1989-93, and again from 1995-96.

Sherman left Texas A&M the second time to join the Packers as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach. Then following one season as the Seahawks' offensive coordinator in 1999, Sherman accepted the Packers head coaching position in 2000. After compiling a 57-39 record over six seasons in Green Bay, the team fired Sherman after a 4-12 campaign in 2005.

Sherman's hiring is the first by Kubiak where the incoming coach has such a long and impressive resume. There had been reports that Kubiak was interested in hiring Broncos offensive line coach Rick Dennison and former Falcons offensive line coach Alex Gibbs for the same job with the Texans.

5. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Wow, talk about a interesting chain of events. I thought the Sherman thing was as good as done.

And Richard Smith as DC is quite interesting. Seems as though Kubiak is hiring friends just like Capers did.

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Alright it is starting to take shape. I am really liking the words, tone and directness in Kubiak's answers as I read them. I would be interested to have heard the interview with Kubiak.

Very interested to hear Smith and see what his vision is for the league's worst defense.

7. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

This is the rule, not the exception. And Palmer was hired for, not by Capers. Coaches usually hire those they are familiar with and have confidence in.

8. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

So it sounds like this guy should be good at getting the linebackers in order. So what do we need now a d line coach,an o line coach and a LBs coach?

9. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Everybody hirers their friends, the NFL is relatively small fraternity. The difference is that Kubiak, unlike Capers, will not simply idly sit by while one of his hirers makes bad decisions. If Smith is not getting it done, Kubiak WILL hold him accountable.

10. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

So after looking at Miami's defense rankings from last year it looks like they were fairly respectable, although they have more talent on that side of the ball than we do, and he was just the co-DC. Anyone have an idea of what kind of defense this guy prefers? 3-4, 4-3, laid back, attacking, etc? Any analogous scheme's to his?

11. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I believe Miami ran a 4-3 in 2004, then swithced to the 3-4 in 2005. So if that's the case, he's got experience in both backgrounds. Kubiak stated that he'd like to primarily be in the 4-3, but would like to mix it up every now and then with the 3-4.

This actually could be a plus for us, considering our personel on the defensive side of the ball.

12. bdiddy

bdiddy Veteran

Pure Speculation

Miami predominantely ran a 3-4 last year, however, I think this was more Saban's influence than Smith's mode of choice. While with Detroit, Denver, and San Fran he always worked in a 4-3. I think this meets Kubiaks wishes of someone that is familiar with both schemes. We will see some 3-4 this year (20%), but mainly a 4-3 look. The scheme will be moved more toward a traditional 4-3 as the necessary personnel is acquired.

FYI- I am still hearing RC Slocum's name being brought up by people close to the team. There is a possibility of him being brought in as the LB or D-Line coach.

13. Fighting Blue Hen

Fighting Blue Hen Rookie

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

you know this isn't the high profile guy but high profile guys aren't always what you need...plus you never know if this guy is a saban guy who was a belichek guy who was a parcells guy then he comes from a good line of coaches

15. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

So according to the article it looks we are steering away from co-defensive coordinator idea....idonno:

What happened to that? Did that idea fall to the wayside when we didn't get the other candidates...i.e. bates, gray, etc.

16. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

The biggest difference is that kubiak is a winner and has consistantly associated himself with winners.(Winners attract winners. losers,well...you know) I dont mind the hiring of friends if those friends are winners too.

17. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

What evidence, or suggestion of evidence, do you have that suggests this? I'd certainly like to believe it, especially given the lackluster hires across the board.

18. southtexan

southtexan Veteran

I'm not impressed, I hope he's the rigth coach

19. jmerog

jmerog Veteran

I wouldn't mind having a quality individual like R.C. Slocum around at all.

Off topic.. I would have liked to have Jerry rice as recievers coach instead of the kid.(sigh) it was a sweet daydream

20. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

Is there an explanation anywhere about WHY the defensive co-coordinator idea was thought to be a good idea in the first place?

Or is it just a title thing, to give two friends more money (sorry if I'm a little skeptical about GK's performance as a gatherer of coaching talent; I hope he's better at gathering players than he seems to be at gathering coaches).