Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 07-09-2014   #1
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bryce Petty

Might as well get this started now until I know or see different;

Command Sergeant Major Todd Burnett, a highly decorated soldier, with tears in his eyes, told Petty in front of the group, “If you were you my quarterback, I’d thank God every morning that you were my quarterback.”

Except nobody in Petty’s group identified a weak link, and they unanimously agreed that Petty was the key to their success.

“All they could talk about was why they were inspired by him,” Dilfer said.

http://thrivesports.com/2014/07/09/t...te-11-mission/

FTR: my early evals is I am impressed with how quick Petty makes decisions.
Old 07-09-2014   #2
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 295319 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Bryce Petty

I'm pretty excited about him going into this season. I think given this one more year of experience, he'll make a helluva pro QB.
Old 07-09-2014   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok he organized his team and soundly defeated the others and I get that but the Sergeant Major with tears in his eyes wanting him to be his QB? Really?
Old 07-10-2014   #4
htownfan32
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 138774 htownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respectedhtownfan32 is a quality contributor and well respected

Adopting a wait and see approach with Petty. Who knows, he could be the next Bridgewater - draft darling that nearly falls out of the 1st round.
htownfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014   #5
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 71412 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownfan32 View Post
Adopting a wait and see approach with Petty. Who knows, he could be the next Bridgewater - draft darling that nearly falls out of the 1st round.
You sound like you didn't hear the news that the 2015 QB draft class is going to the best ever.

Sorta like the 2014 one was going to be...

Reminded me of why you don't prod the bear.
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #6
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66253 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

"The hulking Petty has linebacker's size (6-3, 238) and a tailback's burst and athleticism. He vertical jumps 38 inches, broad jumps 10-feet, 5.5-inches, squats 510 pounds and runs a 4.62 40."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...fscom:cfbonfox
Old 08-07-2014   #7
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 111928 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
Might as well get this started now until I know or see different;

Command Sergeant Major Todd Burnett, a highly decorated soldier, with tears in his eyes, told Petty in front of the group, “If you were you my quarterback, I’d thank God every morning that you were my quarterback.”

Except nobody in Petty’s group identified a weak link, and they unanimously agreed that Petty was the key to their success.

“All they could talk about was why they were inspired by him,” Dilfer said.

http://thrivesports.com/2014/07/09/t...te-11-mission/

FTR: my early evals is I am impressed with how quick Petty makes decisions.
I like him more than most too.....mainly for the physical traits though. I don't put too much stock in the quick decision making...Much of that comes from primarily operating out of shotgun & Briles' offense...Saw alot of the same stuff with Kolb...& that honestly gives me a little bit of pause.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2014   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texian View Post
"The hulking Petty has linebacker's size (6-3, 238) and a tailback's burst and athleticism. He vertical jumps 38 inches, broad jumps 10-feet, 5.5-inches, squats 510 pounds and runs a 4.62 40."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...fscom:cfbonfox
I don't understand how an athlete like this squats so little. It always bothers me when some football player's squat gets reported and it's less than 600#. We had a tackle (Brandon Frye?) a few years ago and they reported that he had a 450# squat and it's like red flag city.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #9
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

500 lbs is good enough for a QB.

Also, squats like bench press isn't always a true gauge for how strong someone is. Shorter arms like shorter legs matters. Also, the width of the feet and arms.

A lot of football players aren't really power lifters and the coaches you have in high school and college sometimes tell you different things. Some coaches want you to go down further, some coaches allow you to have a wider stance...

There isn't any kind of standard...and even if there was, people's body types are just different.

And then this:

Quote:
ive seen another lifter who has a 1200 lb on the books bomb out trying 600 with nothing in a raw meet. i really wish they would call this type of movement something other than squatting. it is really annoying trying to tell people who don't compete why my 550 raw squat is still good when teenagers are basically half squatting out of a monolift with these type of numbers....
Quote:
I can appreciate what you do as a raw lifter. I believe that Raw lifting is more impressive. But what I can't stand is this WHINING from raw lifters about the weight the people in gear lift. It is two separate types of events. Neither is better or worse. Each has its awesome factor. When I watch people raw bench 500+ I am blown away. When I watch my brother squat 1000lbs I am blown away. Your 550 raw squat is awesome, There is no need to try to defend your ability to the internet world. Keep up the good work and have pride in what you do, support one another and build each other up! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFrQUE0qLc

You are a power lifter, so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

I would say 450 lb squat for Brandon Frye is not good enough. But 500 lb squat for a young QB is good.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #10
xtruroyaltyx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 137288 xtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respectedxtruroyaltyx is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a link to some basic lift numbers for D1 athletes. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but honestly, it seems about right.

http://www.criticalbench.com/sportstraining.htm

Football players are really strong generally, but they aren't power lifters. At least most of them aren't. You spend a lot of time working on more things than just lifting. Agility, position specific movement drills, position specific lifts...

Don't get me wrong, you have some guys that can lift the whole gym but a lot of times those guys are really stiff compared to someone who may not lift as much but is an overall better player. And sometimes you have guys that can lift a lot and are great players.

But 500 lb squat for a QB--college, pro, highschool--is good.
xtruroyaltyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 353155 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx View Post
500 lbs is good enough for a QB.

<snip>

I would say 450 lb squat for Brandon Frye is not good enough. But 500 lb squat for a young QB is good.
Well... I guess you're right.

I'm a raw powerlifter... but I'm an old man and I'm not a particularly strong man. I can't bench worth crap but last year, I squatted 455# raw, below parallel. (I've had a couple of bouts of gout and a back-tweak since then and I'm probably only squatting around 385-400 max right now.)

I just can't help feeling that these guys should be a helluva lot stronger than that. I mean, they can out-bench me all day and all night.
Old 08-07-2014   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

From a link in that article... bench and squat ratings by bodyweight

This is more in-line with what I was thinking. I'd consider someone that's this caliber athlete to be in the College Star level of lifting.
Old 08-07-2014   #13
ESAD2-14
TexanAmerican

Rep Power: 23664 ESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respectedESAD2-14 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok he organized his team and soundly defeated the others and I get that but the Sergeant Major with tears in his eyes wanting him to be his QB? Really?
Ol' CSM must be a big Baylor fan or just an emotional dude or the writer of the article fluffed it up a bit.
Old 08-07-2014   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

when I squat it is usually with a roll of Charmin. What does that weigh?
Old 08-07-2014   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
when I squat it is usually with a roll of Charmin. What does that weigh?
On the internets, I think that counts as a 700# squat.
Old 08-10-2014   #16
Texian
Hall of Fame

Bryce Petty is looking a whole lot better this morning.
Old 08-10-2014   #17
Uncle Rico
Pro BS'er

Section: Nose Bleeds
Rep Power: 21560 Uncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respectedUncle Rico is a quality contributor and well respected

Mariota >>> Petty
Old 08-10-2014   #18
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 212977 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Mariota >>> Petty
We'll be picking in the 20's .

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Mariota >>> Petty
So is Superman and we probably will not have a shot at him either.
Old 08-11-2014   #20
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So is Superman and we probably will not have a shot at him either.
At this time last year Bridgewater was everyones consensus #1 QB prospect and overall pick, alot can change between now and April. We may still have a chance to draft Superman, we'll see.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read