Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Bryce Petty

Texian

Hall of Fame
Might as well get this started now until I know or see different;

Command Sergeant Major Todd Burnett, a highly decorated soldier, with tears in his eyes, told Petty in front of the group, “If you were you my quarterback, I’d thank God every morning that you were my quarterback.”

Except nobody in Petty’s group identified a weak link, and they unanimously agreed that Petty was the key to their success.

“All they could talk about was why they were inspired by him,” Dilfer said.

http://thrivesports.com/2014/07/09/trent-dilfer-marvels-at-bryce-petty-effort-elite-11-mission/

FTR: my early evals is I am impressed with how quick Petty makes decisions.

I'm pretty excited about him going into this season. I think given this one more year of experience, he'll make a helluva pro QB.

Ok he organized his team and soundly defeated the others and I get that but the Sergeant Major with tears in his eyes wanting him to be his QB? Really?

Adopting a wait and see approach with Petty. Who knows, he could be the next Bridgewater - draft darling that nearly falls out of the 1st round.

Adopting a wait and see approach with Petty. Who knows, he could be the next Bridgewater - draft darling that nearly falls out of the 1st round.

You sound like you didn't hear the news that the 2015 QB draft class is going to the best ever.

Sorta like the 2014 one was going to be...

:kitten:

Might as well get this started now until I know or see different;

Command Sergeant Major Todd Burnett, a highly decorated soldier, with tears in his eyes, told Petty in front of the group, “If you were you my quarterback, I’d thank God every morning that you were my quarterback.”

Except nobody in Petty’s group identified a weak link, and they unanimously agreed that Petty was the key to their success.

“All they could talk about was why they were inspired by him,” Dilfer said.

http://thrivesports.com/2014/07/09/trent-dilfer-marvels-at-bryce-petty-effort-elite-11-mission/

FTR: my early evals is I am impressed with how quick Petty makes decisions.

I like him more than most too.....mainly for the physical traits though. I don't put too much stock in the quick decision making...Much of that comes from primarily operating out of shotgun & Briles' offense...Saw alot of the same stuff with Kolb...& that honestly gives me a little bit of pause.

"The hulking Petty has linebacker's size (6-3, 238) and a tailback's burst and athleticism. He vertical jumps 38 inches, broad jumps 10-feet, 5.5-inches, squats 510 pounds and runs a 4.62 40."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...12-sec-cfb-am.html?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:cfbonfox

I don't understand how an athlete like this squats so little. It always bothers me when some football player's squat gets reported and it's less than 600#. We had a tackle (Brandon Frye?) a few years ago and they reported that he had a 450# squat and it's like red flag city.

500 lbs is good enough for a QB.

Also, squats like bench press isn't always a true gauge for how strong someone is. Shorter arms like shorter legs matters. Also, the width of the feet and arms.

A lot of football players aren't really power lifters and the coaches you have in high school and college sometimes tell you different things. Some coaches want you to go down further, some coaches allow you to have a wider stance...

There isn't any kind of standard...and even if there was, people's body types are just different.

And then this:

ive seen another lifter who has a 1200 lb on the books bomb out trying 600 with nothing in a raw meet. i really wish they would call this type of movement something other than squatting. it is really annoying trying to tell people who don't compete why my 550 raw squat is still good when teenagers are basically half squatting out of a monolift with these type of numbers....

I can appreciate what you do as a raw lifter. I believe that Raw lifting is more impressive. But what I can't stand is this WHINING from raw lifters about the weight the people in gear lift. It is two separate types of events. Neither is better or worse. Each has its awesome factor. When I watch people raw bench 500+ I am blown away. When I watch my brother squat 1000lbs I am blown away. Your 550 raw squat is awesome, There is no need to try to defend your ability to the internet world. Keep up the good work and have pride in what you do, support one another and build each other up! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrFrQUE0qLc

You are a power lifter, so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

I would say 450 lb squat for Brandon Frye is not good enough. But 500 lb squat for a young QB is good.

Here's a link to some basic lift numbers for D1 athletes. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but honestly, it seems about right.

http://www.criticalbench.com/sportstraining.htm

Football players are really strong generally, but they aren't power lifters. At least most of them aren't. You spend a lot of time working on more things than just lifting. Agility, position specific movement drills, position specific lifts...

Don't get me wrong, you have some guys that can lift the whole gym but a lot of times those guys are really stiff compared to someone who may not lift as much but is an overall better player. And sometimes you have guys that can lift a lot and are great players.

But 500 lb squat for a QB--college, pro, highschool--is good.

500 lbs is good enough for a QB.

<snip>

I would say 450 lb squat for Brandon Frye is not good enough. But 500 lb squat for a young QB is good.

Well... I guess you're right.

I'm a raw powerlifter... but I'm an old man and I'm not a particularly strong man. I can't bench worth crap but last year, I squatted 455# raw, below parallel. (I've had a couple of bouts of gout and a back-tweak since then and I'm probably only squatting around 385-400 max right now.)

I just can't help feeling that these guys should be a helluva lot stronger than that. I mean, they can out-bench me all day and all night.

Ok he organized his team and soundly defeated the others and I get that but the Sergeant Major with tears in his eyes wanting him to be his QB? Really?

Ol' CSM must be a big Baylor fan or just an emotional dude or the writer of the article fluffed it up a bit.

So is Superman and we probably will not have a shot at him either.

At this time last year Bridgewater was everyones consensus #1 QB prospect and overall pick, alot can change between now and April. We may still have a chance to draft Superman, we'll see.

At this time last year Bridgewater was everyones consensus #1 QB prospect and overall pick, alot can change between now and April. We may still have a chance to draft Superman, we'll see.
touche'. Right now Mariota, Winston if he matures and Bryce intrigue me. As one of the first to bring Savage to this MB, I hope he is what I think he is and we can take QB off our priority list. TBH I am looking at WRs at both first and second round as two seasons from now AJ will prob be gone unless he is really cranking the stats.

I'll take a wait and see approach. Has anyone saw much in the way of passing skills from the QB's from this system translated to the pros yet? They all have had an issue dealing with pressure and/or pass progressions or reading coverage. The system they utilize in college has been stated to be about simple/quick reads. Nothing for truely developing a quarterback for the next level. We have seen the issues in RG3, Keenum and Manziel to this point.

Can it be coached? Maybe so but it isn't an easy task after years of having one way drilled into you to leap to the professional level and find out that way doesn't work so well no longer. No one from this system has shown much consistency yet in those intangibles for a QB and that should be a question yet nothing you can do about it before a draft but roll the dice and see what happens.

I'll take a wait and see approach. Has anyone saw much in the way of passing skills from the QB's from this system translated to the pros yet? They all have had an issue dealing with pressure and/or pass progressions or reading coverage. The system they utilize in college has been stated to be about simple/quick reads. Nothing for truely developing a quarterback for the next level. We have seen the issues in RG3, Keenum and Manziel to this point.

Can it be coached? Maybe so but it isn't an easy task after years of having one way drilled into you to leap to the professional level and find out that way doesn't work so well no longer. No one from this system has shown much consistency yet in those intangibles for a QB and that should be a question yet nothing you can do about it before a draft but roll the dice and see what happens.

RGIII did take the Redskins from worst to first and Chip Kelly did the same last year with the Eagles. Both are perspective division favorites going in to this season. Colin Kapernick has been to consecutive NFC Championship games and a Super Bowl. And Russell Wilson is the QB of the reigning Super Bowl Champions. I think you can also add Cam Newton to the list. If anything it appears the NFL is moving in a direction of the more athletic QB. Of course having a QB like Luck or Bortles gives a team the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

The difference between August & April is that in August, nobody who matters is watching college football... as far as the draft goes. They're getting their teams ready, combing the waiver wires, & doing everything they can to make their team better for September.

These people will start looking in April at this year's crop of players & the pundits & college football fan opinions will start to slide towards the NFL.

Like Bridgewater, Petty lacks ideal size. Whether you want to admit it or not, NFL people factor that in. Petty is thicker than Bridgewater, so I don't think there will be the concern about whether or not he'll be able to take the beating, it'll be more about finding passing lanes. His release point may help with that.

Petty is not playing at a "major" program, but he is playing in a major conference.

Like Bridgewater at Louisville, expectations are high for the Baylor Bears, if Petty can keep them in the top 10, that will be really good for him.

I'll take a wait and see approach. Has anyone saw much in the way of passing skills from the QB's from this system translated to the pros yet? They all have had an issue dealing with pressure and/or pass progressions or reading coverage.

I don't think it is so much the system, but what the coaches are comfortable with the players handling on the field. Bortles, Carr, & Garoppolo all came from spread systems, but they were given a lot more responsibility than a guy like Manziel was.

RGIII did not run a one read & go offense.

I'm pretty sure NFL teams have several scouts watching practices even now, hoping to get that bit of info that others missed.

Like Bridgewater, Petty lacks ideal size.

What do you consider ideal size? Bryce Petty is 6'3" 238 lbs. WTF are you looking for?

LINK

Petty can do things at his size that he shouldn’t be able to. From Feldman’s Freaks piece:

The hulking Petty has linebacker's size (6-3, 238) and a tailback's burst and athleticism. He vertical jumps 38 inches, broad jumps 10-feet, 5.5-inches, squats 510 pounds and runs a 4.62 40. Over the weekend, Petty provided even more proof of his Freak merits to anyone around the Elite 11 camp in Oregon. Part of a series of challenges run by Team RWB, a group of Special Forces and career military men, Petty was a sight to see toting heavy sandbags up a hill back-and-forth for over a half-hour straight.

When Petty arrived in Waco, he weighed 214 pounds, had a 31-inch vertical and clocked in the high 4.8s. [Baylor strength coach Kaz] Kazadi said his workout numbers, despite being quite a bit bigger, rival the great RGIII in almost every workout area and some of his weight work. "If you wanted him to go to 250 and make him a defensive end so he was chasing quarterbacks, he could do it," said Kazadi. "If you wanted to make him that old-school, over-the-tight end outside linebacker, he could do it. If you wanted to make him a tight end, he could easily do it. He can do all that."

So, just because I want to make sure you had your coffee this morning and read that correctly, a professional who evaluates strength and athleticism for a living believes Petty is physically capable of playing four very different positions, all of which require you to be, for the sake of simplicity, pretty much a badass.

What do you consider ideal size? Bryce Petty is 6'3" 238 lbs. WTF are you looking for?
The hulking Petty has linebacker's size (6-3, 238)
LINK

If only he were a LB.

I know 6'3" 238 lbs looks big to most people, but in the NFL it's probably average. Ideal size is 6'5"

Size is not a deal breaker. Just if I was going down a checklist I wouldn't check size if he's a QB & under 6'5"

Like I said, a high release point (at 6'3") it may not be an issue.

Tonight is Bryce Petty's turn, 6:30PM vs SMU, Baylor's new stadium.

FoxSports 1

Great athlete and looks like goodstrength, but was inconsistent on long throws and got some ding around the hip/lower back area...no second half.

ESPN
A back injury forced quarterback Bryce Petty to leave Baylor's season-opening 45-0 win over SMU at halftime on Sunday but the senior signal caller doesn't expect to miss any game time due to the injury.

Petty suffered a bruised back after taking a hit on his first run of the 2014 season but remained in the game until halftime. After the game, he insisted that he expects to play when BU hosts Northwestern (La.) State on Saturday.

"It's already feeling a lot better right now," Petty said.

I didn't see much of the game but I did see he hurt his back and then came back in and ran for a TD and hurt himself again.

I appreciate his toughness but you gotta be smarter than that. Baylor was already up 2-3 scores and could easily have pushed it in with a RB.

Rumor going around that Petty might have broken 2 vertebrae in the game last night. Really hoping that's not true.

Last edited:
I don't think it is so much the system, but what the coaches are comfortable with the players handling on the field. Bortles, Carr, & Garoppolo all came from spread systems, but they were given a lot more responsibility than a guy like Manziel was.

RGIII did not run a one read & go offense.

Going to have to agree to disagree. This is how Briles system has always been ran all the way back to Stephensville High and it didn't change in RG3's time. It's one of the reasons he splits his wideouts so far outside the numbers. Make it simple to read for the QB. There's a reason folks are commenting how uncomfortable RG is looking in the pocket and going through progressions. So far each QB that has came from that system has shown issues reading and going through proper progressions.

That's why you can't compare to every QB in a spread or from one. Coaches teach things differently and Briles runs his a certain way. A system, of course, picked up and utilized at A&M. Texas Tech and something Leach uses as well. Its was Sumlin and his offensive coordinator who commented on how it simplifies the reads for the quarterback to help them move so fast from play to play. Thus far none have produced a top NFL pocket passer.

Reports are 2 cracked vertebrae and that he is day-to-day (!?). Not sure how accurate that is. Reports are that he will still play on Saturday which I find a bit absurd.

"A back injury forced quarterback Bryce Petty to leave Baylor's season-opening 45-0 win over SMU at halftime on Sunday but the senior signal caller doesn't expect to miss any game time due to the injury.

Petty suffered a bruised back after taking a hit on his first run of the 2014 season but remained in the game until halftime. After the game, he insisted that he expects to play when BU hosts Northwestern (La.) State on Saturday.

"It's already feeling a lot better right now," Petty said."

Ah youth. I injured my back after hitting a bump in the golf cart and I'll be out for two months.

Going to have to agree to disagree. This is how Briles system has always been ran all the way back to Stephensville High and it didn't change in RG3's time. It's one of the reasons he splits his wideouts so far outside the numbers. Make it simple to read for the QB. There's a reason folks are commenting how uncomfortable RG is looking in the pocket and going through progressions. So far each QB that has came from that system has shown issues reading and going through proper progressions.

That's why you can't compare to every QB in a spread or from one. Coaches teach things differently and Briles runs his a certain way. A system, of course, picked up and utilized at A&M. Texas Tech and something Leach uses as well. Its was Sumlin and his offensive coordinator who commented on how it simplifies the reads for the quarterback to help them move so fast from play to play. Thus far none have produced a top NFL pocket passer.

Exactly. All spread systems employ the aspect of "spreading" the defense thin. With the defense spread out like that, it makes the reads easier for the qb b/c they can rule out certain guys coming based on how far they are from the ball and other things. If you do choose to blitz against spread systems, you're greatly compromising the integrity of your overall defense b/c in all liklihood, you're probably creating a tremendous mismatch somewhere or you're leaving your db's on an island with no help.....

Well Petty sat out last night with the injury. Smart move. No reason to risk him against an inferior opponent. Apparently he just needs some rest for the injury to heal so no reason to play until you absolutely have to.

With that said, people can stop pretending that he's not a system QB. His backup threw for 438 yard and 6 TD's last night......in the first half. We saw the same production with Robert Griffin and Nick Florence before it was Petty's turn. Baylor just keeps it rolling regardless of who's playing QB.

Well Petty sat out last night with the injury. Smart move. No reason to risk him against an inferior opponent. Apparently he just needs some rest for the injury to heal so no reason to play until you absolutely have to.

With that said, people can stop pretending that he's not a system QB. His backup threw for 438 yard and 6 TD's last night......in the first half. We saw the same production with Robert Griffin and Nick Florence before it was Petty's turn. Baylor just keeps it rolling regardless of who's playing QB.
system or not we can still watch his movement, balance, arm, reads, accuracy short and deep, pocket presence, command, etc.

With that said, people can stop pretending that he's not a system QB. His backup threw for 438 yard and 6 TD's last night......in the first half.

Playing Northwestern Louisiana may have had just as much or more to do with the outcome as the system. Not to mention that Seth Russell could also be a good QB.

Did not show me much in this blow out against very inferior team. 63-21 with 5 minutes left. Petty was at 56.5% but to be honest I turned off after first quarter. He did hook up with Cannon for long TD that was sweet. Not sure when he went out. Usually these early games do not offer much unless a rare mano vs mano matchup.

Did not show me much in this blow out against very inferior team. 63-21 with 5 minutes left. Petty was at 56.5% but to be honest I turned off after first quarter. He did hook up with Cannon for long TD that was sweet. Not sure when he went out. Usually these early games do not offer much unless a rare mano vs mano matchup.

Petty was 23 for 34, 67.6%, 416 yards, 4 TDs, 209.2 QBR

Petty has potential but he was playing against air yesterday. Guys running wide open all night. Can't learn very much in a game like that. Should've put up great numbers and did.

Petty has potential but he was playing against air yesterday. Guys running wide open all night. Can't learn very much in a game like that. Should've put up great numbers and did.
he started slow and against this inferior team should have been at 90%.

I had early preseason hope for Petty but I have since learned that his laser arm is about a 1/2 to 1 yard off. Seems to be a consistent pattern heading half way in to the season and as the competition gets tougher Petty's accuracy gets worse.

Back