Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Remember 2010

djohn2oo8

All Pro
When the defense was terrible? The offense had no choice but to be aggressive, but ever since Wade showed up, it's been a total over reliance on D, playcalling on Offense stopped being so aggressive. The point where the "let's settle for field goals, because our D will stop em" really kicked in.

When the defense was terrible? The offense had no choice but to be aggressive, but ever since Wade showed up, it's been a total over reliance on D, playcalling on Offense stopped being so aggressive. The point where the "let's settle for field goals, because our D will stop em" really kicked in.

It was the same thing. A whole unit was horrible and looked bad and yet, it was one player's fault: Kareem Jackson.

Today, the offense scores 9 pts, and it's one person's fault: Matt Schaub.

It's easier to convince yourself it's one player's fault than acknowledge that the team has multiple weaknesses that combine into a really bad performance.

It was the same thing. A whole unit was horrible and looked bad and yet, it was one player's fault: Kareem Jackson.

It's easier to convince yourself it's one player's fault than acknowledge that the team has multiple weaknesses that combine into a really bad performance.

One big difference Kareem Jackson is a cornerback and Schaub is the qb. Quarterbacks lead you to the super bowls it's not a cornerbacks league it's a quarterbacks league and the Texans need to act on that fact.

One big difference Kareem Jackson is a cornerback and Schaub is the qb. Quarterbacks lead you to the super bowls it's not a cornerbacks league it's a quarterbacks league and the Texans need to act on that fact.

No one thought Flacco was that guy until the tail end of last year. Easy to rag on a guy for not taking you to the Superbowl when he's only been in the playoffs one season. Not making playoffs the previous seasons is as much a team issue as it is a QB issue.

Everyone knows the team has multiple weaknesses. It's not easier to blame one guy. The problem is some of those weaknesses (Like "that one guy") have been visible and pointed out for years. When the OL was good (briefly) he still did that ****. When it got worse he became even more of a liability.

There are lots of problems. There wouldn't be as many though if the Texans had cleaned a few of them up along the way over the years.

Everyone knows the team has multiple weaknesses. It's not easier to blame one guy. The problem is some of those weaknesses (Like "that one guy") have been visible and pointed out for years. When the OL was good (briefly) he still did that ****. When it got worse he became even more of a liability.

There are lots of problems. There wouldn't be as many though if the Texans had cleaned a few of them up along the way over the years.

It IS easier to blame that one guy. I agree we have a lot of the same problems we have had for years (maybe one of them IS schaub) that should have been fixed. But I feel like that frustration of all those problems has collected and is now being outpoured on a single source of the frustration.

It IS easier to blame that one guy. I agree we have a lot of the same problems we have had for years (maybe one of them IS schaub) that should have been fixed. But I feel like that frustration of all those problems has collected and is now being outpoured on a single source of the frustration.

Quite possible.

Herman Mellville the Texans fan said:
He piled upon Schaub's slow moving white #8 jersey the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.

In 2010 and 2011 we had an Offensive line. For a team that had THE worst D in 2010, our sack rate was top 10 in the league. They knew the pass was coming and we still had time. The further removed from Alex Gibbs the worse our Oline gets.

Today, we are giving up sacks when we play action. A death knell for this system.

If our blocking does not improve, we are sunk. Its as simple as that.

The defense was looking great with a 6-3 lead with about 4:50 or so until halftime. That Matt Schaub pick six and punt return for a Touchdown not long after really took the wind out of our sails. All of a sudden we're down 17-6 and our defense has to feel let down going into the locker room for halftime. Kind of hard for the defense to "get up" for the second half after that knowing that the offense wasn't going to do jack Touchdown wise. The best we could do in that game was settle for a field goal.

The only good thing about 2010 was that it netted us JJ Watt in the draft. If I remember, he was the Texans 3rd choice after Von Miller and Aldon Smith. Lucky for us, things happened the way they did. Maybe the QB situation will "work itself out also"?

I'll tell you what I remember about 2010. I remember thinking the team was playing poorly despite being 2-0 and then 4-2. I remember people drinking the koolaid and ignoring the harbingers of impending collapse. I remember the team winning 6 games.

Wish I didn't remember any of that.

I'll tell you what I remember about 2010. I remember thinking the team was playing poorly despite being 2-0 and then 4-2. I remember people drinking the koolaid and ignoring the harbingers of impending collapse. I remember the team winning 6 games.

Wish I didn't remember any of that.

I remember the same thing in 2011 & 2012. Like there are some people who'll complain about Kubiak/Schaub's team regardless. I seem to remember winning 10 games in 2011 & twelve games in 2012.

Same people who'll scream the sky is falling at 2-1.

I still believe in Matt Schaub and want to see him win a Super Bowl with the Texans. If somehow he can just throw the deep balls with some pinpoint accuracy like he used to do in his younger days. This guy was a pretty good gunslinger when he first arrived in Houston. He was one of the better completion percentage passers in the league. Not just with the play-action passes, bootlegs and roll outs, but he could stand in the pocket and air it out with the best of them at one time.

No one thought Flacco was that guy until the tail end of last year. Easy to rag on a guy for not taking you to the Superbowl when he's only been in the playoffs one season. Not making playoffs the previous seasons is as much a team issue as it is a QB issue.

That is not necessarily true.

Flacco had two good playoff efforts in '10 & '11 before winning the superbowl in '12.

It stinks that Schaub was at his beest when we have no defense whatsoever. He can redeem himself with wins against Seattle and San Fran.

I still believe in Matt Schaub and want to see him win a Super Bowl with the Texans. If somehow he can just throw the deep balls with some pinpoint accuracy like he used to do in his younger days. This guy was a pretty good gunslinger when he first arrived in Houston. He was one of the better completion percentage passers in the league. Not just with the play-action passes, bootlegs and roll outs, but he could stand in the pocket and air it out with the best of them at one time.

For sure! We rarely run bootlegs and roll outs now, and it makes me think that his foot might be the reason why.

For sure! We rarely run bootlegs and roll outs now, and it makes me think that his foot might be the reason why.

Part of the reason for scripting plays is to watch how defenses are playing us. One of the things we watch, is how hard the backside end is crashing down on the RB. If he's crashing hard near every time, or even 50/50 you'll see the boot. If they're playing honest, we'll probably not see it.

We've played Baltimore enough that they know us & we know them. I didn't watch it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing honest in the first half. Foster was gashing them up the middle & I don't recall any backside pursuit.

The second half, we got away from the run game, probably wasn't going to be many boots when they know we're throwing the ball.

That is not necessarily true.

Flacco had two good playoff efforts in '10 & '11 before winning the superbowl in '12.

It stinks that Schaub was at his beest when we have no defense whatsoever. He can redeem himself with wins against Seattle and San Fran.

Relevant link. Flacco claimed he was elite, caught a ton of backlash from the media and the country, then lost in an embarrassing game against (you guessed it) the Texans.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-10-22/joe-flacco-stats-ravens-qb-fantasy-football-elite-quarterback

2-1 is not so bad if all three of the games did not look so bad. I had hoped we would be passed the blow out games this season. The loss is just plain frustrating.

Imagine being the 49ers. Not one blow out loss, but two.

Seattle whupped them 29-3, Indy spanked them 27-7, but I bet your outlook on that 1-2 team is much higher than your out look of the 2-1 Texans.

I wonder how many times Kaepernick's thrown the ball into the endzone.

....& then he won the Superbowl.

So, Mattie just needs to call for a press conference & tell everyone that he's elite. :kubepalm: :splits:

That's my point. People will rage after losses, they'll blame poor quarterback play, they'll claim that their quarterback will never take them to a superbowl...

And then the team will catch fire at the right time and they can win it all. Not saying they will, just that they can.

Flacco's had 3 playoff berths, after his first two people questioned if he could do it or not. He could.

Matt's had one, and people are jumping off bridges.

That's my point.

1) People will rage after losses, they'll blame poor quarterback play, they'll claim that their quarterback will never take them to a superbowl...

2) And then the team will catch fire at the right time and they can win it all. Not saying they will, just that they can.

Cause & effect, so, we are helping Schaub get to a Superbowl by bashing the heck out of him on these forums. :)

I expect compensation. :clown:

....& then he won the Superbowl.

So, Mattie just needs to call for a press conference & tell everyone that he's elite. :kubepalm: :splits:

Organizations are different from completely opposite perspectives.

One organization made the QB prove he was worth a contract by playing out his last year.

The other gave the QB a fat contract after missing the franchise's first playoff appearance with a season-ending injury that continues to plague him two seasons later.

Flacco has been in the playoffs every year of his career, WINNING TWO road playoff games as ROOKIE (first time in NFL history, btw). And he's won at least one playoff game every year he's been in the league. Last year, he tied Joe Montana's single postseason record for touchdown passes (11) without an interception before winning the Super Bowl championship and earning a SB MVP.

Schaub has shown us nothing to indicate that he's anywhere near Joe Flacco.

I remember 2010 well......the defense was awful, and the final blow was the loss of Demeco Ryans. Although the offense played with heart and determination, it wasn't enough to overcome the issues on defense seen @ Jets, @ Philly, at home against Baltimore and San Diego. Those teams escaped with wins because too many bad plays on defense, and an occasional bad play on offense.

In 2011 the Texans reached a low point after the big loss to Baltimore that year, and losing Mario Williams for the season coupled with Andre's nagging hamstring injury. The Texans had the heart that they weren't gonna be denied, and although the schedule was somewhat easier than it is this year they still had to show up on the road against Tennessee and Tampa Bay, at home against the Browns and Jacksonville, which is a team that always seems to play the Texans tough in Reliant. Then Schaub goes down. Then Leinart goes down the next game. This team still was not gonna be denied and was able to do just enough to clinch the division.

2012 was a rocking year up until Cushing went down for the season. That was quite a hard blow to the defense that would be felt the very next game against Green Bay. The Texans, although damaged, would pick themselves up and go back on a winning streak, dominating in some, quite fortunate in others. Eventually the fire was lost again late in the season, but not before making the playoffs.

So my questions about 2013 loom: Is the loss against Baltimore going to be a turning point for the Texans, or has that turning point not happened yet? Will it be a positive turnaround, or will things get worse from here? Are the Texans just satisfied to be a playoff team, or will they gain and carry that 'I won't be denied' mentality like they had in mid 2011 all the way to the AFC title game and beyond?

One organization made the QB prove he was worth a contract by playing out his last year.

The other gave the QB a fat contract after missing the franchise's first playoff appearance with a season-ending injury that continues to plague him two seasons later.

Flacco has been in the playoffs every year of his career, WINNING TWO road playoff games as ROOKIE (first time in NFL history, btw). And he's won at least one playoff game every year he's been in the league. Last year, he tied Joe Montana's single postseason record for touchdown passes (11) without an interception before winning the Super Bowl championship and earning a SB MVP.

Nailed it.

Very well and this season has that feel to it.

Will Rick/Gary/Wade/Schaub survive if things go as bad as 2010 did is the question?

Actually, one QB accepted a low-ball offer, the other held out for more. If it were up to the Ravens, they would have inked Flacco before the season started.

Of course, I disagree. I'm not a Schaub fan, but Schaub's a better QB than Flacco. Flacco is much streakier, he'll have a 3 or 4 game streak where he's just in the zone, but he'll also have lows for a few games as well. Schaub is much more consistent, day in day out, you're much more likely to get a solid game out of Schaub. Every now & then he'll throw in a stinker, every now & then he'll be fantastic. But Matt Schaub is much more likely to have an above average performance next week than Flacco is.

Revisionist history at it's finest. The Ravens did NOT make Flacco prove he was worth the contract. They offered him a contract, just like the Texans offered Schaub on.

Flacco rejected it, believing he was worth more money. He went on to win the Superbowl and cashed in.

NOWHERE was there some, "prove it" mentality from the Raven's organization.

Nailed it.

Easy to "nail it" when you're the one making up history.

Revisionist history at it's finest.

They made him prove that he's worth a $120.6 million contract. No revision there "buddy".

I never denied they offered him a contract. It was obviously lowballed and nothing near what he proved he's worth to the organization.

Perhaps poor reading comprehension and goofy assumptions is your special ability in life. :joker:

Flacco's had 3 playoff berths, after his first two people questioned if he could do it or not. He could.

You spew nonsense about "revisionist history" when you obviously do not even know history? :um:

Flacco was drafted in 2008. He's played FIVE seasons (this is his sixth) and went to the playoffs every year that he's been in the league. He won two playoff games in his rookie season - an NFL record - and won at least one playoff game every year since then.

They made him prove that he's worth a $120.6 million contract. No revision there "buddy".

I never denied they offered him a contract. It was obviously lowballed and nothing near what he proved he's worth to the organization.

Perhaps poor reading comprehension and goofy assumptions is your special ability in life. :joker:

My reading comprehension may be off as well then, the way you said it made it seem the Ravens did not offer Flacco a contract, or we ink'd a $100M contract with Schaub.

The way you juxtapose the two situations infers as much.

With Romo, Flacco, & Ryan getting what they got, Schaub's deal seems like a bargain. Especially with what we've seen from the four of them so far this season.

You said the Ravens "made the QB prove he was worth a contract" and claimed the two organizations were coming from two completely different perspectives.

And yet, they didn't make him do anything, they offered him a contract, it was FLACCO that made the decision, not the Ravens. You make it seem like the Ravens are some organization that hardballs their players and makes them play out their contracts instead of extending them like the soft, powderpuff Texans. The reality is, the Ravens, just like the Texans, extended offers to their QBs BEFORE the season started.

You spew nonsense about "revisionist history" when you obviously do not even know history? :um:

Flacco was drafted in 2008. He's played FIVE seasons (this is his sixth) and went to the playoffs every year that he's been in the league. He won two playoff games in his rookie season - an NFL record - and won at least one playoff game every year since then.

You're completely right, I was completely wrong here, that's my fault. So Flacco and the Ravens reach the playoffs 4 times and falls short every time. You're saying the media/fans weren't saying he wasn't going to do it? Meanwhile, Schaub gets one playoff attempt and is labeled as a loser who can't win the big game.

Revisionist history is using false facts to support your argument. Correcting my mistake actually bolsters it.

By the way, I attacked your argument, not you. Please leave the snide comments and personal insinuations at the door.

U win has a team and lose has a team

with that being said the more pick sixes Matt throws the more u can make a case to lets try and roll with Yates or keenum

and that can either go 2 ways the backups play lights out ......

or they struggle there first year has the MAN and themselves throw some pick sixes

so don't worry what ever happens happens :P

with that being said the more pick sixes Matt throws the more u can make a case to lets try and roll with Yates or keenum

I really think people are overstating this. It's unusual for Matt to throw INTs, much less have them returned for TDs. I know it's only been three games so it seems like a lot.

but it'll all work out. I think it's ridiculous to think Schaub is going to throw a pick 6 in every game. Much less the next one.

I really think people are overstating this. It's unusual for Matt to throw INTs, much less have them returned for TDs. I know it's only been three games so it seems like a lot.

but it'll all work out. I think it's ridiculous to think Schaub is going to throw a pick 6 in every game. Much less the next one.

PDS ‏@PatDStat 17h
Matt Schaub dating back to last season. First 12 games, 11-1, 64% completion rate, 3,062 yards, 21 TDs to 9 INTs. #Texans

PDS ‏@PatDStat 17h
Matt Schaub since the regular season NE game including the playoffs to now. 8 games, 4-4, 67% completion rate, 2,389 yards, 9 TDs to 9 INTs.

Yeah...

well isn't there a trend going tell me did he throw a INT or Pic Six for the Vikings and Indy game last year I forget

I know he throw a pic six for the Viking game

We lost to the colts who were playing for nothing

did he throw a pic six for the WC cincy game

and I know he throw one for the DIV pats game

so that's like 6 games in a row going back to last year of MAtt throwing a INT

sooooo is MAtt good for ONE INT for each game so that's like 16 INTS this season that's noootttt gooddd

and u know I have been supporting matt since the get go but .... yeah I go buy stats and yeah I still think we need to stick with Schaub till like week 8 but we will see how it rolls

well isn't there a trend going tell me did he throw a INT or Pic Six for the Vikings and Indy game last year I forget

I know he throw a pic six for the Viking game

We lost to the colts who were playing for nothing

did he throw a pic six for the WC cincy game

and I know he throw one for the DIV pats game

so that's like 6 games in a row going back to last year of MAtt throwing a INT

sooooo is MAtt good for ONE INT for each game so that's like 16 INTS this season that's noootttt gooddd

and u know I have been supporting matt since the get go but .... yeah I go buy stats and yeah I still think we need to stick with Schaub till like week 8 but we will see how it rolls

Well...

Uh..

And..

Hmmm...
:foottap:

Flacco is getting paid more than Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. And Schaub can be cut after this season for very little dead money. Wait, I forgot... which organization made the better move?

Flacco is getting paid more than Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady. And Schaub can be cut after this season for very little dead money. Wait, I forgot... which organization made the better move?

Dead money yes, but cutting him will save us $4M against the cap.

I'm coming around to the idea that comparing this season to 2010 is unfair. That team was 4-2 after 6 games, after all.

Back