Remember 2010

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by djohn2oo8, Sep 24, 2013.

1. djohn2oo8

djohn2oo8 All Pro

When the defense was terrible? The offense had no choice but to be aggressive, but ever since Wade showed up, it's been a total over reliance on D, playcalling on Offense stopped being so aggressive. The point where the "let's settle for field goals, because our D will stop em" really kicked in.

deucetx likes this.
  2. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

It was the same thing. A whole unit was horrible and looked bad and yet, it was one player's fault: Kareem Jackson.

Today, the offense scores 9 pts, and it's one person's fault: Matt Schaub.

It's easier to convince yourself it's one player's fault than acknowledge that the team has multiple weaknesses that combine into a really bad performance.

3. cstyle42

cstyle42 Veteran

One big difference Kareem Jackson is a cornerback and Schaub is the qb. Quarterbacks lead you to the super bowls it's not a cornerbacks league it's a quarterbacks league and the Texans need to act on that fact.

4. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

No one thought Flacco was that guy until the tail end of last year. Easy to rag on a guy for not taking you to the Superbowl when he's only been in the playoffs one season. Not making playoffs the previous seasons is as much a team issue as it is a QB issue.

5. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Everyone knows the team has multiple weaknesses. It's not easier to blame one guy. The problem is some of those weaknesses (Like "that one guy") have been visible and pointed out for years. When the OL was good (briefly) he still did that ****. When it got worse he became even more of a liability.

There are lots of problems. There wouldn't be as many though if the Texans had cleaned a few of them up along the way over the years.

6. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

It IS easier to blame that one guy. I agree we have a lot of the same problems we have had for years (maybe one of them IS schaub) that should have been fixed. But I feel like that frustration of all those problems has collected and is now being outpoured on a single source of the frustration.

7. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Quite possible.

disaacks3 likes this.
  8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'd rather not.

9. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

In 2010 and 2011 we had an Offensive line. For a team that had THE worst D in 2010, our sack rate was top 10 in the league. They knew the pass was coming and we still had time. The further removed from Alex Gibbs the worse our Oline gets.

Today, we are giving up sacks when we play action. A death knell for this system.

If our blocking does not improve, we are sunk. Its as simple as that.

10. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

The defense was looking great with a 6-3 lead with about 4:50 or so until halftime. That Matt Schaub pick six and punt return for a Touchdown not long after really took the wind out of our sails. All of a sudden we're down 17-6 and our defense has to feel let down going into the locker room for halftime. Kind of hard for the defense to "get up" for the second half after that knowing that the offense wasn't going to do jack Touchdown wise. The best we could do in that game was settle for a field goal.

11. RagingBull

RagingBull Hall of Shame

The only good thing about 2010 was that it netted us JJ Watt in the draft. If I remember, he was the Texans 3rd choice after Von Miller and Aldon Smith. Lucky for us, things happened the way they did. Maybe the QB situation will "work itself out also"?

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I'll tell you what I remember about 2010. I remember thinking the team was playing poorly despite being 2-0 and then 4-2. I remember people drinking the koolaid and ignoring the harbingers of impending collapse. I remember the team winning 6 games.

Wish I didn't remember any of that.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I remember the same thing in 2011 & 2012. Like there are some people who'll complain about Kubiak/Schaub's team regardless. I seem to remember winning 10 games in 2011 & twelve games in 2012.

Same people who'll scream the sky is falling at 2-1.

14. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

If 2010 never happened, Watt is NOT a Texan. Always look on the bright side of life

15. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

I still believe in Matt Schaub and want to see him win a Super Bowl with the Texans. If somehow he can just throw the deep balls with some pinpoint accuracy like he used to do in his younger days. This guy was a pretty good gunslinger when he first arrived in Houston. He was one of the better completion percentage passers in the league. Not just with the play-action passes, bootlegs and roll outs, but he could stand in the pocket and air it out with the best of them at one time.

16. SchaubApologist

SchaubApologist Veteran

That is not necessarily true.

Flacco had two good playoff efforts in '10 & '11 before winning the superbowl in '12.

It stinks that Schaub was at his beest when we have no defense whatsoever. He can redeem himself with wins against Seattle and San Fran.

17. SchaubApologist

SchaubApologist Veteran

For sure! We rarely run bootlegs and roll outs now, and it makes me think that his foot might be the reason why.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Part of the reason for scripting plays is to watch how defenses are playing us. One of the things we watch, is how hard the backside end is crashing down on the RB. If he's crashing hard near every time, or even 50/50 you'll see the boot. If they're playing honest, we'll probably not see it.

We've played Baltimore enough that they know us & we know them. I didn't watch it, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were playing honest in the first half. Foster was gashing them up the middle & I don't recall any backside pursuit.

The second half, we got away from the run game, probably wasn't going to be many boots when they know we're throwing the ball.

19. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Relevant link. Flacco claimed he was elite, caught a ton of backlash from the media and the country, then lost in an embarrassing game against (you guessed it) the Texans.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-10-22/joe-flacco-stats-ravens-qb-fantasy-football-elite-quarterback

20. BlueSteel

BlueSteel Veteran

2-1 is not so bad if all three of the games did not look so bad. I had hoped we would be passed the blow out games this season. The loss is just plain frustrating.