Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Why the Texans Will Not Win a Championship

I hate to bring everyone down after such a good showing in Arlington, but the last few minutes of that game highlighted the culture of the Texans under Gary Kubiak and why his team will never win a championship.

Good NFL teams have a culture of excellence and typically do not accept mediocrity in anything that they do on a football field. They enjoy dominating, and to a certain degree, humiliating their opponents.

Good teams make it a goal to score a touchdown every single time they have the football, even when they create a turnover on defense.

Tonight's game meant absolutely nothing and they likely just wanted to get out of south Oklahoma healthy. However, it would have been a perfect opportunity to run the offense and try to score touchdowns during the last five minutes instead of just running down the clock. Scoring a touchdown everytime they touch the ball should be the goal with nothing less being acceptable. Unfortunately for us this team has no killer instinct and most of the time seems disinterested in scoring touchdowns, instead being happy with field goals or just running some time off the clock.

Maybe Kubiak doesn't want to hurt the opposing coaches feelings? It's just blatantly apparent that he has no desire to put teams away on the scoreboard and instead opts to retreat into the perverbial turtle shell and hope for the clock to hit zero with the lead.

As we all know this team has never been good in the red zone under Kubiak. This has to be related to his attitude on scoring touchdowns. He does not seem to playcall for it or demand it, instead settling for field goals more times than not.

I just don't believe we can win a Super Bowl with the current culture and attitudes and until there's some semblance of a killer instead developed we'll have to settle for slightly above mediocrity.

You gathered this from a 4th preseason game? What exactly did you see tonight that made you think "yep, I better start a thread and let everybody know that Gary Kubiak has created a slightly-above-mediocre football culture for the Texans?"

Let me further enquire of you: tell us about your sports, business, or life exploits that makes you qualified to lecture everybody about the "culture of excellence." Step down from the mountaintop for a moment and let us mere mortals know what it takes, man. The culture of excellence must demonstrate something really special for fourth preseason games, I'm sure.

yHow many times is this guy going to run on 2nd and long? Every single time we are 2nd and long he runs the ball!!!

He's so predictable he fooled you. Schaub threw 144 times on 2nd and 6+ with a completion % of 69.4%. Other than 1st down 2nd and long was by far Kubiak's most likely down and distance to call a pass play. Wanna guess how many rushes over 144 Arian Foster had on 2nd and 6+? -76, i.e. he had 68 rushes (that would be 32% rushes).

You see it with how he babies schaub, he doesnt allow him to change plays at the huddle. I mean my god the guy has been immersed in your system for so many years, can you not trust a guy to change a play if he sees something defensively he can exploit?

Sigh. No matter how many times this is debunked and talked about, people are simply going to believe what they want to believe.

He's so predictable he fooled you. Schaub threw 144 times on 2nd and 6+ with a completion % of 69.4%. Other than 1st down 2nd and long was by far Kubiak's most likely down and distance to call a pass play. Wanna guess how many rushes over 144 Arian Foster had on 2nd and 6+? -76, i.e. he had 68 rushes (that would be 32% rushes).

But, the eye test... :kitten:

buzz_killington-191x300.jpg

We're going to get our run game back on track. When we get a lead, we're going to run the ball down their throats. We're going to run it to the right. We're going to run it to the left. We're going to run it up the middle.

Then when they're gasping for air, he's going to drop the bomb to Aj, Hopkins, OD..... we're going to pull the rope-a-dope & make some of the best defenses in the league look plain silly.

We won't be beating our opponents by 20 (like last year) we're going to be beating them by 25 & people are going to say, "aBout time Kubiak changed his ways." when it'll be the same guy we've had all along. Nothing's changed, except the tools he has to work with.

Mia @ Hou +20
Hou @ Jac +20
Hou @ Den 6
Ten @ Hou +24
Hou @ NYJ 6
GB @ Hou -18
Bal @ Hou +30
Bye
Buf @ Hou 12
Hou @ Chi 7
Jac @ Hou 6
Hou @ Det 3
Hou @ Ten 14
Hou @ NE -28
Ind @ Hou 12
Min @ Hou -17
Hou @ Ind -16

When it works it works. Kubiak doesn't care anymore about being rude against Miami or Baltimore & running up the score than he does about the Jets or Jags & only winning by 6.

I hate to bring everyone down after such a good showing in Arlington, but the last few minutes of that game highlighted the culture of the Texans under Gary Kubiak and why his team will never win a championship.

Good NFL teams have a culture of excellence and typically do not accept mediocrity in anything that they do on a football field. They enjoy dominating, and to a certain degree, humiliating their opponents.

Good teams make it a goal to score a touchdown every single time they have the football, even when they create a turnover on defense.

Tonight's game meant absolutely nothing and they likely just wanted to get out of south Oklahoma healthy. However, it would have been a perfect opportunity to run the offense and try to score touchdowns during the last five minutes instead of just running down the clock. Scoring a touchdown everytime they touch the ball should be the goal with nothing less being acceptable. Unfortunately for us this team has no killer instinct and most of the time seems disinterested in scoring touchdowns, instead being happy with field goals or just running some time off the clock

Maybe Kubiak doesn't want to hurt the opposing coaches feelings? It's just blatantly apparent that he has no desire to put teams away on the scoreboard and instead opts to retreat into the perverbial turtle shell and hope for the clock to hit zero with the lead.

As we all know this team has never been good in the red zone under Kubiak. This has to be related to his attitude on scoring touchdowns. He does not seem to playcall for it or demand it, instead settling for field goals more times than not.

I just don't believe we can win a Super Bowl with the current culture and attitudes and until there's some semblance of a killer instead developed we'll have to settle for slightly above mediocrity.

You were doing alright until the bolded...that part of your post literally turned it into a candidate for the worst post of the year. I mean what possible good could that have done with 3rd / 4th stringers on the field?

Tonight's game meant absolutely nothing and they likely just wanted to get out of south Oklahoma healthy. However, it would have been a perfect opportunity to run the offense and try to score touchdowns during the last five minutes instead of just running down the clock.

get the **** out of here

Those are stats. You have to actually watch the games to know what's going on. :jk: :)

The only thing that makes me agree with this thread is how we settled for the FG at halftime against New Orleans with :06 left on the clock. To me that didn't leave the right mindset for the team. When that happened, I thought how Belichek would've taken one quick shot. Instead we told the team that if this ever happens again, we are going to settle and not strike.

However, I've seen a change in the way the team has been handled. I believe Kubiak has become a better coach and has the team thinking in the right direction.

The only thing that makes me agree with this thread is how we settled for the FG at halftime against New Orleans with :06 left on the clock. To me that didn't leave the right mindset for the team. When that happened, I thought how Belichek would've taken one quick shot. Instead we told the team that if this ever happens again, we are going to settle and not strike.

However, I've seen a change in the way the team has been handled. I believe Kubiak has become a better coach and has the team thinking in the right direction.

Yeah that was one thing I didn't like. Attempt a chip shot field goal? For what? Practice a 4th and goal situation right there where we need the score or something.

I'm pretty sure there were only 4 seconds on the clock.

I'm pretty sure there were only 4 seconds on the clock.

Chip shot or not I want to see how my "rookie" kicker handles the pressure. It's not a big deal, but one of those details that might get us where we want to be.

We had three shots from the 16, couldn't get it done. What are we going to see on 4th down that we didn't see in the first 3?

LMAO at this thread!!

31 teams will not win a championship this season. So it is fairly easy to be right when you make such bold predictions.

Why the Texans might win a Championship this season:

Gary Kubiak
Wade Phillips

Duane Brown
Chris Myers
Owen Daniels
Garret Graham
Andre Johnson
DeAndre Hopkins
Devier Posey
Greg Jones
Arian Foster
Ben Tate

JJ Watt
Antonio Smith
Earl Mitchell
Brian Cushing
Jonathan Joseph
Kareem Jackson
Daniel Manning
Ed Reed
Whitney Mercilus
Darryl Sharpton
Tim Dobbins
Brice McCain

Bryan Brahman

Shane Lechler
Randy Bullock

Houston Texans at 1:14 NOR HOU
1st and 10 at HOU 20 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass deep middle to A.Johnson to HST 37 for 17 yards (K.Lewis).
1st and 10 at HOU 37 (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to O.Daniels (T.Johnson).
2nd and 10 at HOU 37 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short right to O.Daniels to HST 49 for 12 yards (J.Leonhard).
Timeout #1 by HST at 00:45.
1st and 10 at HOU 49 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short right to K.Martin pushed ob at NO 43 for 8 yards (M.Jenkins).
2nd and 2 at NO 43 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short middle to A.Johnson to NO 36 for 7 yards (M.Jenkins).
Timeout #2 by HST at 00:34.
1st and 10 at NO 36 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete short right to A.Johnson.
2nd and 10 at NO 36 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass deep right to A.Johnson to NO 14 for 22 yards (K.Lewis).
1st and 10 at NO 14 M.Schaub spiked the ball to stop the clock.
2nd and 10 at NO 14 (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass short middle to G.Graham to NO 3 for 11 yards (R.Humber, R.Bush).
Timeout #3 by HST at 00:04.
1st and 3 at NO 3 R.Bullock 21 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-S.Lechler. 17 16
DRIVE TOTALS: NO 17, HOU 16, 10 plays, 77 yards, 1:14 elapsed

We drove the length of the field in less than a minute and a half and you want the team to take a chance - with 4 secs left and no more T/O's - to come up empty after all that work. We'd taken one good shot from inside the 15 and G.G. couldn't get in.

And with another half of football left to play, I'd bet good money that Belichick would have kicked that FG to make it a one-pont game in that situation too.

I can't knock the OP's opinion at all on this. I just think his examples were really poor examples to illustrate his thoughts. His statements are dead on as far as Kubiak and I've said this since I joined this site. Kubiak is a play it safe guy, and I hate the way he coaches, but he is what he is. I have to live with him as a fan, but I'll never be able to pretend his short comings aren't there. I will never like a coach who hides his face and eyes during crunch time like some sort of wimp who isn't tough enough to witness his failure if that might happen. Gary has made a ton of play calling mistakes over the years that have burnt the team really bad, and I've watched him make the same mistakes. His confidence in Schaub has always been very limited as well.

I think Kubiak could potentially be a better coach though if we had a better QB that was mobile and could extend plays though. Schaub is a big part of that problem at this point. His slow release, lack of speed with his legs, and his reaction time is killing a lot of plays that could be extended otherwise. Kubiak and Schaub are both problems that guys like Watt, Cushing, AJ, Brown, and Foster all have to overcome. They are the leaders and the studs, and they have to carry the weaker units and leaks on this team.

Tonight's game meant absolutely nothing and they likely just wanted to get out of south Oklahoma healthy. However, it would have been a perfect opportunity to run the offense and try to score touchdowns during the last five minutes instead of just running down the clock. Scoring a touchdown everytime they touch the ball should be the goal with nothing less being acceptable. Unfortunately for us this team has no killer instinct and most of the time seems disinterested in scoring touchdowns, instead being happy with field goals or just running some time off the clock.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

On the 00:04 play, I just wanted him to go for it, BECAUSE IT'S PRESEASON. I figured most of those guys wouldn't play another down that day & I wanted to see them go for it. I even remembered it as the end of the game, but I'm sure I just thought that because the first half of preseason game 3 is about the only way (if any) to judge the starters in preseason.

I hate to bring everyone down.

Good news them. You didn't. What made you think that you had the influence to do that?

I try to be realistic when looking at the Texans, but your comments were simply ignorant. Kubiak had nothing to prove by trying to score late 4Q TDs with a bunch of players who would soon be waived.

LMAO at this thread!!

31 teams will not win a championship this season. So it is fairly easy to be right when you make such bold predictions.

Exactly, even if everything goes right in a season it is incredibly difficult to take home the Lombardi. I would be willing to bet that less talented teams have taken one home though. That at least gets us in the door.

If we run he ball like we did in 2011 and play great defense Kubiak is going to look a heck of a lot better by the end of the season, not that 22 wins over the last two years is anything to sneeze at. We are one of a handful of teams with at least a punchers chance at winning it all. Probability is still heavily against us but is there anything easier than making a thread predicting a team won't win a championship? Way to go out on a limb Miss Cleo! OP seems to be happy when hes miserable though judging by the painfully depressing threads he has been making the last few months. Dude, get over yourself.

If all our starters go down in the same game and our 3nd and 3rd string have to come in then maybe any of what you said is relevant, but until them....

Are you F....ing kidding me ?

Oooh. That's gonna leave a mark :yikes:

Schaub threw 144 times on 2nd and 6+ with a completion % of 69.4%.
Is 2nd and 6 considered 2nd and long? What were the numbers on 2nd and 10+? And you have to consider situations, as well. 2nd and long down 7+ in the 2nd half vs 2nd and long up 7+ in the 2nd half will likely be different. It's real tricky trying to come up with absolutes in statistics.

Is 2nd and 6 considered 2nd and long? What were the numbers on 2nd and 10+? And you have to consider situations, as well. 2nd and long down 7+ in the 2nd half vs 2nd and long up 7+ in the 2nd half will likely be different. It's real tricky trying to come up with absolutes in statistics.

Does it really matter?

I mean I know some people like to pick nits.... but we were one of the better offenses in the league. We controlled the ball as much as any other team. We led the league in T.o.P. We won 12 games.

Sure, I'd like to have been better in all categories, but we weren't & being that we accomplished so much with our faults, our tendencies, or whatever, leads me to believe there was a reason to his madness.

I don't understand it. I don't like Kubiak. But does it really matter what we did on 2nd down if we won the game?

New England whup'd our butts in the play-offs. Was that because we preferred to run it on 2nd down?

You can use the Play Finder feature at Profootballreference.com to find out exactly what each team does in any situation.

For example, you can find out how many times the Texans faced 2nd and 6 or longer between their own 10 to the opponent's 10 (or any field position of your choice).
It will tell you how many times they ran and how many times they were in passing mode. You have to take into account the number of sacks and the number of times the QB took off and ran (separately), what's the success rate, how many INTs and fumbles incurred, etc.

A whole lot of fun once you get a hang of it.

You can isolate plays in the first quarter, first half, 2 minutes left, etc.
Like I said, a whole boat load of different ways to look at numbers.

Different considerations don't have to be considered when answering the assertion "[e]very single time we are 2nd and long he runs the ball!!!" My stats disprove that just fine.

To expand and provide you with a longer long, on 2nd and 11+ Schaub had 35 att. which he completed at 77.1%. Arian had 15 att.

You can use the Play Finder feature at Profootballreference.com to find out exactly what each team does in any situation.
Thanks. Here's what I found running the Texans 2012 results from 2nd and 10+ plays.

The Texans ran 90 pass plays vs 56 runs. The Texans completed over 75% of their passes on 2nd and 10+. In the 56 runs, the Texans averaged under 3.4 ypc. Take away the 5 Schaub kneels at the end of victories, and the average is bumped up to 3.8 ypc. Take away Forsett's fortunate 81 yard "TD" versus the Lions, and the ypc drops to 2.3. The same Texans offense averages 4.8 ypc on 1st & 10. I don't get it. Shouldn't the opposing defense be more vulnerable to a 2nd & long run than a 1st & 10 run?

The perception is that the Texans run too often on 2nd and long. In reality, the numbers are saying instead that it's the Texans performing poorly when running on 2nd and long that is upsetting fans. 28 of the rushes ended in gains of 2 yards or less. Yet, their passing numbers remain very good. It's inexplicable.

I mean I know some people like to pick nits....
The irony in your post is not lost on me.

Anybody know how that compares to other teams on 2nd & 10+? I would look, but I don't have time right now. Maybe I'll look tomorrow.

NFL offenses average 65% pass/35% run on 2nd & 10+. The Texans are slightly under that at a 61/39 ratio. Only the Vikings and Niners run more than pass on 2nd & long. That makes sense, as Peterson & Gore both average over 6 ypc on that down and distance.

NFL offenses average 65% pass/35% run on 2nd & 10+. The Texans are slightly under that at a 61/39 ratio. Only the Vikings and Niners run more than pass on 2nd & long. That makes sense, as Peterson & Gore both average over 6 ypc on that down and distance.

One of the things I liked about Gary early on, was that he sticks to his guns. Right or wrong. He believes a team needs to be able to run when the other team knows you're going to run the ball. & I don't disagree with him.

I don't like games that are won by whoever had the ball last. I like the ones where one team says, "You want the ball, take it from me, I dare you."

If we were losing.... like from 2006-2008 (or at least not winning) I'd call it stubborn. But when we've won 22 games the last two seasons, I call it sticking to your guns.

This is something we have to get good at.

The Texans ran 90 pass plays vs 56 runs. The Texans completed over 75% of their passes on 2nd and 10+. In the 56 runs, the Texans averaged under 3.4 ypc. Take away the 5 Schaub kneels at the end of victories, and the average is bumped up to 3.8 ypc.

The perception is that the Texans run too often on 2nd and long. In reality, the numbers are saying instead that it's the Texans performing poorly when running on 2nd and long that is upsetting fans. 28 of the rushes ended in gains of 2 yards or less. Yet, their passing numbers remain very good. It's inexplicable.

Anybody know how that compares to other teams on 2nd & 10+? I would look, but I don't have time right now. Maybe I'll look tomorrow.

Out of the 56 plays recorded as runs, five were kneels down, one was a fumble on the snap that Schaub recovered, and two were Schaub running for his life.
Those last three were actually pass plays.
We should disregard the five kneel downs, and count those three plays as passing plays.
Now we have 48 running plays instead of 56.

Then we add the 3 plays to the 90 that were recorded as pass plays for a total of 93 plays.

93+48= 141 valid plays
That's a 66/34 ratio

We need to do the same for the rest of the league (but I won't since it would take too much time), but it should be safe to see that the Texans is somewhere at the average in the league in the pass/run ration on 2nd and 10 or more.

Thanks. Here's what I found running the Texans 2012 results from 2nd and 10+ plays.

That's an awesome site, what's interesting is how much more the texans run the ball on 3 long distance > 8 yards, we are 10% more likely than the rest of the entire NFL to run the ball.

I don't like how wonger presents his facts, but he's right about one thing, Gary plays it way too safe most of the time for me. He's going to have to start being more aggressive on offense for us to win a championship, we have all seen our team get teams down, only to let off the gas instead of just continuing to beat them into submission.

I can't totally disagree with Wonger's conclusion, but the evidence provided is ridiculous.

I'm just going to overlook his posts about preseason football, as discussing that as evidence leading to your conclusion is just asinine, but let's look at the final conclusion - that Kubes is an overly conservative play it safe as hell coach? Can't really disagree.

And I think it gets "worse" this year. With Shane L and Randy B, I think he plays the field position game even more than he does now. Not to mention, I think the running game is going to be moderately better (a hunch), and I think he tries to get ahead of teams using play action, and then will grind it out on the ground and "play it safe". I think we'll see a lot of 3-14 point victories with this philosophy.

The problem with Kubes philosophy is when more explosive teams like NE get a good lead on the Texans, it totally takes Kubes and the whole offense out of rhythm and the play action game, which is their bread and butter and it becomes completely moot. This has not been a successful come from behind offense, using 3 and 4 wides. MAYBE that changes some this year, but I have my doubts.

If other teams want a blueprint on beating the Texans it's to get them off the play action game by any means necessary. Many teams cannot - but some can (see GB, NO, and NE as examples)

I think we'll see a lot of 3-14 point victories with this philosophy.
I'm OK with "a lot" of victories, no matter what the score or philosophy is. And I promise not to complain about the play calling if the Texans win the last game of the NFL season

Back