Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Blake Fisher

Think it says plenty. He’s being put on notice…
If you consider they paid him already, he already knew what they thought of him.

It's possible that this guy will provide the flexibilty to play RT or Guard, just like Howard so they can focus on keeping Howard, who they just paid, at RT.

Oline is one of the most important positions on the team and it's a position where you generally want experience.

This isn't something that the Texans have done well in the past, but organizations that are consistently good make these kinds of picks.

You don't wait until you NEED an offensive lineman...You draft them early and fairly often and that way when you do need them they are ready to go and don't have to be forced into duty too soon and have to rotate snaps with Ephraim Salaam or be thrown out there on an island entirely too early and get burned over and over again like Kareem as a rookie. When you've got goals to be amongst the best you can't afford having to throw guys out before they are ready.

Now if Fisher comes in and earns the spot right away, great. But I don't think that was the intent behind this pick.

I have 7 players who will be on the 53. 8 if Howard can go. I have 3 more who could be on the bubble, one OG, Broeker, and two OTs, Heck and Sharpe. So how many OLmen do we carry? And who do bring in, a G to challenge Broeker or a T to challenge Heck?
Out of curiosity where does Deiter Eislen fit in? Third year C/G from Yale, big dude 320#’s. Texans have carried him awhile.

Out of curiosity where does Deiter Eislen fit in? Third year C/G from Yale, big dude 320#’s. Texans have carried him awhile.
Dieter had significant preseason snaps with Chicago in 2021, 2020 and 2023, but only had a few snaps (64) during the 2022 season, at C, LG and RG. After Chicago let him go following the 2023 training camp, the Texans signed him. He had 4 game snaps, against the Jags and Jets at LT.

He'll have a chance to compete in training camp but there's not enough to guess how he'll do. He has nice size. He's a player to watch.

You don’t draft a tackle at thst spot unless you believe he’s your future starter. Not to mention the lost opportunity cost of missing out on possibly drafting a true starter at a different position of need, such as DT. If he fails to be the answer at RT, that s amiss and at least a mild disappointment imho. Nothing to do with Alt specifically.
Obviously they think he's a future starter at RT.

Obviously they think he's a future starter at RT.

Yes sir I get that, but you don't know what you've got. The draft is an educated guessing game, and you make the best choices you can with the data you have. I was just thinking out loud over what I see in the range of possibilities. He's still a little raw and young. He is far from a finished product, making him much riskier than a guy like Alt. So, sure, it's fine to say he has the potential to be in Alt's class of tackle...but the potential is just that - potential.

All I'm saying is that if he doesn't reach his potential, it's doubtful he'll be out of the league or something. In his case, the most likely "failure" of the pick is that he ends up as a higher-level career backup type. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but it's certainly possible. And there's still value in that...but as a 2nd rounder, you want more.

As I noted, it's even more possible he plays so well that it makes Howard and his contract expendable after the 24 season, and you're ready to plug the guy in at RT and he is as good or better than Howard and at a much lower cost (for now).

Dieter had significant preseason snaps with Chicago in 2021, 2020 and 2023, but only had a few snaps (64) during the 2022 season, at C, LG and RG. After Chicago let him go following the 2023 training camp, the Texans signed him. He had 4 game snaps, against the Jags and Jets at LT.

He'll have a chance to compete in training camp but there's not enough to guess how he'll do. He has nice size. He's a player to watch.
Dug up an interesting fact. He had 6 snaps at RG in the WC game against Cleveland. This is interesting because he took these snaps and not Broeker.

5 snaps run blocking and 1 snap pass blocking. Perhaps one of you could watch the film and comment. My thing is PFF and for what it is worth, he graded an elite 91.1 on his run blocking.

Dug up an interesting fact. He had 6 snaps at RG in the WC game against Cleveland. This is interesting because he took these snaps and not Broeker.

5 snaps run blocking and 1 snap pass blocking. Perhaps one of you could watch the film and comment. My thing is PFF and for what it is worth, he graded an elite 91.1 on his run blocking.

Based on 5 snaps? Did he plays snaps earlier in the season? I am intrigued by Broeker as at worst a good interior spot starter type. What’s the intrigue with Dieter E?

Based on 5 snaps? Did he plays snaps earlier in the season? I am intrigued by Broeker as at worst a good interior spot starter type. What’s the intrigue with Dieter E?
Dieter is from South Africa with a sports background of soccer and competitive weight lifting. He became fascinated with American football watching TV and talked his parents into letting him come to the US to participate in a training camp, and ended up enrolling in a college prep school, playing his first season of football. Yale offered him a scholarship, and he began starting midway through his freshman year. It's an interesting read.

Chicago signed him as an UDFA in 2021. Had significant snaps in preseason but non during the season, although he was elevated to the active roster in November. In 2022 he was on the active roster and had 62 snaps in 3 games. In February, 2023 he was released and signed by the Texans.

During the 2023 regular season he had 4 snaps in two games, all at LT. In the WC game against Cleveland he had the 6 snaps at RG.

Broeker did have 3 snaps in week 17 against Tennessee, run blocking with a PFF grade of 57.5.

From the Texans point of view, the interest in Eiselen is in his versatility. Between Chicago and Houston, preseason and season, he has played all 5 positions on the oline, although limited of course.

From my perspective, I'm intrigued by the fact that against Cleveland, they had 6 plays at RG where Mason had come out. Like you I had been keen on Broeker's potential all season and now find the Texans went with Eiselen when it came to crunch time in the playoffs. And to top it off, was highly graded on his 6 plays.

Last year the team started the season with 9 offensive linemen. If Howard is healthy, I see the 9 this year as Tunsil, Kenyon Green, Kendrick Green, Scruggs, Patterson, Mason, Heck, Fisher and Howard.

Broeker and Eiselen to the PS.

But Eiselen has replaced Broeker as my wildcard. I really like everything I've read about his character and motivation to suceed. If there's an injury during training camp, I'm predicting Eiselen will be number 9.

Yes sir I get that, but you don't know what you've got. The draft is an educated guessing game, and you make the best choices you can with the data you have. I was just thinking out loud over what I see in the range of possibilities. He's still a little raw and young. He is far from a finished product, making him much riskier than a guy like Alt. So, sure, it's fine to say he has the potential to be in Alt's class of tackle...but the potential is just that - potential.

All I'm saying is that if he doesn't reach his potential, it's doubtful he'll be out of the league or something. In his case, the most likely "failure" of the pick is that he ends up as a higher-level career backup type. I'm not saying that WILL happen, but it's certainly possible. And there's still value in that...but as a 2nd rounder, you want more.

As I noted, it's even more possible he plays so well that it makes Howard and his contract expendable after the 24 season, and you're ready to plug the guy in at RT and he is as good or better than Howard and at a much lower cost (for now).
I'll bet on the last paragraph of the his post. I see Fisher as a value pick talent wise. He's going to be the starting RT at some point. Put Fisher with Mason and Stover with Mixon and I think you're gonna be happy with the run game next year. If I'm wrong Howard will be healthy and playing great. This is a win -win situation.isnt great to have depth and that's best case scenario with Howard.

Why do people keep saying he'll play LG when Caserio keeps stating and re-iterating he was drafted to play tackle and it's unlikely he'll play guard?
Agree with this, having a swing tackle over Heck is a big upgrade to start with (the fact that he started his college career at LT plays into this.) Hopefully he develops into a starter at one of the tackle positions down the road.

He starts at LG or RT if Howard can’t go. JMO.
Howard is probably going to get hurt again. I see Fisher about the same as I see Alt. Either way the RT position will be upgraded this season. I know Alt got all of the attention but Fisher is very good too. Well worth 2-59, posters that dont like the pick are the posters that wanted Caserio to draft a DL/S or LB at 2-59. If you look at this from a talent standpoint instead of a need standpoint Fisher was a great pick and there's certainly a case to be made that OT was as big of a need as any need on the team. Nobody knows about Howard's health and the OT position is devoid of depth.

Back