Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Blake Fisher

I mocked him to Texans at pick 86 in the mock draft thread.

“3.86) Blake Fisher OT. High ceiling swing OT. Has talent to start at either OT position. Will be the RT of the future. First true freshman in history to start at LT in first game, but injured in first half. Moved to RT after returning from injury and stayed there rest of college career.”

Tytus Howard missed 10 games with two different injuries last season. With Fisher at right tackle and Laremy Tunsil at left tackle, Howard can move to left guard where he fits best and solidfy the offensive line. The Texans are now in a better position to protect their franchise quarterback C.J. Stroud

Tytus Howard missed 10 games with two different injuries last season. With Fisher at right tackle and Laremy Tunsil at left tackle, Howard can move to left guard where he fits best and solidfy the offensive line. The Texans are now in a better position to protect their franchise quarterback C.J. Stroud
Howard is an emergency option at guard. He’s not a long term answer at the position. And now the team has depth at guard. Time to play Howard where he is being paid to play (RT). If he is healthy enough to play that is…

Sounds like a great pick - and i dont think this is any indication on Howard. We needed a swing tackle, Howard can easily slide insight and Fisher seems to need some time to develop. Our O-line looks a lot better today than it looked yesterday.
Think it says plenty. He’s being put on notice…As he hasn’t had any competition…really since he’s got here. He’s always injured and when he’s played he hasn’t been very good. His cap hit also significantly jumps after 2024 & if we get more of the same from him and the kid shows promise, he’ll be a candidate for restructure and THEN he’ll kick inside & we can move on from Mason..whose on the wrong side of 30.

Texans 2024 NFL Draft grade for Blake Fisher
Fisher has great traits and does everything well. The key for the Texans is to get him to do it consistently. Fisher rolls his hips into run blocks, locks defenders out with his length (34.5-inch arms & 6-foot-11 wingspan) and sticks combo blocks. He can get to the reach block, physically on the down block and even when beat in pass protection he can use length and ability to push past the hoop.

The Texans have Super Bowl aspirations. Those aspirations would quickly crumble if Howard and Tunsil had a setback from their injuries. Whether they miss time due to injury or lack the crispness they need in their return, they now have a talented Plan B in Fisher. They were previously one play away from Charlie Heck and David Sharpe having to step into that role before the draft addition.

Current starting tackle Tytus Howard has been placed on injured reserve in three of his five NFL seasons. Failing to have a plan B would have been a rookie mistake for Caserio and Ryans. The Texans can cut Howard with a post-June 1st designation after the start of the 2025 NFL season if needed. While they hope they don't have to move on from the former first-round pick, they have options, now.

Grade: B+

He was terrible at left guard.
Whatever criticism you might have had regarding Howard, with the patellar tendon injury/surgery, you can now drop kick your expectations.

I mocked him to Texans at pick 86 in the mock draft thread.

“3.86) Blake Fisher OT. High ceiling swing OT. Has talent to start at either OT position. Will be the RT of the future. First true freshman in history to start at LT in first game, but injured in first half. Moved to RT after returning from injury and stayed there rest of college career.”
yeah, I posted his history long time ago: he was considered best LT in college until hurt. Alt stepped in and never gave it up. Healed, Fisher locked down right tackle. Just hoped Tytus was going be the guy allowing us to get a safety net round 4. I think he is future starter. Unless Howard starts majority of season, Nick get an F for the extension $ then re-worked it.

Howard should never play guard again

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Where in the world do you get that Howard fits at left guard? He was horrible. No offense meant to you but that is not accurate. :spit:

yeah, I posted his history long time ago: he was considered best LT in college until hurt. Alt stepped in and never gave it up. Healed, Fisher locked down right tackle. Just hoped Tytus was going be the guy allowing us to get a safety net round 4. I think he is future starter. Unless Howard starts majority of season, Nick get an F for the extension $ then re-worked it.
The knee injury he sustained that essentially resulted in him losing the 2021 season was a significant meniscus tear. The good news is that it was repaired rather than excised, allowing him to return as an elite performer.

Blake Fisher, Notre Dame
Measurables:
6-foot-6 | 310 pounds | 34.5-inch arms | 6-foot-11 wingspan | 10-inch hands

Combine numbers: 5.20 40-yard dash | 1.82 10-yard split | 28-inch vertical | 9-foot-6 broad | 7.76 3-cone | 4.73 short shuttle

Fisher hasn’t received the admiration that his teammate, Joe Alt, has in the lead-up to the draft. It’s puzzling to see that Alt is being considered worthy of a top-5 pick in this draft while Fisher is being mentioned as a third- or fourth-round prospect.

When you watch the Fighting Irish’s bookend offensive tackles, Alt and Fisher, in their battle against Ohio State, you would have a hard time explaining the mass difference in draft stocks as Alt was the one who showed issues with the Buckeyes as Fisher took it all in stride.

Fisher’s issue is consistency as he’ll have matchups that he struggles with and his technique and form goes out the window. Mainly, Fisher showed issues against Clemson’s edge pass rusher Xavier Thomas’ quick get-off on the snap. However, if a prospect shows you the ability to routinely do something like Fisher does in so many areas, it’s on his NFL positional coach to get him to play to that ability every snap. He shouldn’t make it out of the second round and the Texans would be wise to select him with pick No. 59.

Pleasantly surprised to see the reaction in this thread as I've seen a lot of other Texans fan upset with the pick.

I think it's great! So long as CJ is in the building I will never get mad seeing us draft o-linemen (with any pick).

Blake has all the traits and just needs consistency. Got benched against Lousville (for legitimately playing poorly) then came back and was excellent for the remainder of the season.

Pleasantly surprised to see the reaction in this thread as I've seen a lot of other Texans fan upset with the pick.

I think it's great! So long as CJ is in the building I will never get mad seeing us draft o-linemen (with any pick).

Blake has all the traits and just needs consistency. Got benched against Lousville (for legitimately playing poorly) then came back and was excellent for the remainder of the season.

I would never in my life ever be upset with picking offensive linemen.

I mean, did people ******* see what happened to this team's OL health last year?

Do people know anything about football whatsoever?

Do people know anything about the Texans history and the first year of our franchise especially?

Good grief.

If it were me…..I’d also be selecting OT- Walter Rouse (OK) at some point today for additional depth at OT.

Back