Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Schedule

All it takes is one ill timed concussion protocol to lose a key player for three games.
For either team. It's impossible to know who will be in or out in these late season games. The Texans have to face these teams. These teams must face the Texans. Want to feel sorry for a team (I don't), then feel sorry for the Ravens. There are no bottom dwelling Titans, Broncos, or Patriots in the AFC North.

Based on both the teams they play and the schedule, the NFL site has the Texans with the 10th easiest schedule in the league. Which all that says is they are somewhat in the middle of the pack as far as 2024 goes.

Based on both the teams they play and the schedule, the NFL site has the Texans with the 10th easiest schedule in the league. Which all that says is they are somewhat in the middle of the pack as far as 2024 goes.
I saw that the Texans have the 3rd hardest schedule based on strength of schedule.

It's a great schedule! I can't imagine it being put together better for the Texans. Here are some reasons why:

1. 1st week game at Indy (Richardson's 1st game in almost a year)... great timing for our away game at Indy
2. Home opener is also the 1st primetime game in years... crowd will be INSANE. great advantage for week 2
3. week 3 at Minnesota- good to get them early with rookie QB (but not so early that there isn't some tape on him and the offense)
4. I like that we have most of our weaker away opponents during the first two months of the season.
5. All of our short games are against opponents dealing with the same (or worse) turn around with
only one exception (vs. Tennessee on 11/24 after the 11/18 Monday night game at Dallas)
6. And, we have a number of well timed extra long times between games (after 10/31 at NYJets, we get until 11/10 to play Detroit on SNF... also, after the 12/25 game vs. Baltimore, we have until the 1/5 game at Tennessee to prepare for what could be a vital game.
7. I love the late bye, before 3 very difficult , consecutive conference games.
8. Putting 3 prime time games consecutively in the middle of the season limits the disruptiveness of all those prime time games being scattered throughout the season..
9. I don't see any terrible stretch of road games or any other scheduling flaw that could be problematic.

The above is exactly how I felt, I like that it (hopefully) gives the Texans a chance to gel and get off to a quick start, before a test in week 5. The only thing I hope for is that we remain healthy enough to go through the Phins, Chiefs, and Ravens competitively (If the SoS remains the same [which it won't] getting one game out of three may be all we need.) I also think closing out the season with the Titans gives us that one last chance to put up a win if we need it (or coast if we don't) before the playoffs.

I am not a fan of starting the season at Indy. This is going to be a very tough schedule.
I doubt the Texans will be any healthier than game 1. If the Colts thought they were in a fight in week 18 last year, wait until they get a load of this bunch.
Not a fan of the week 14 bye week. Definitely not a fan of a Saturday road game (Chiefs) followed byWednesday Ravens Christmas game.
It's brutal. But the Chiefs and Ravens are in the same boat. As long as there is no advantage, it's all good. Ryans and his guys aren't the type to make excuses.

Reactions: JB
Exactly. In the long run, the schedule doesn't matter anyways. Every year some teams that are supposed to be really good aren't, and some teams that are supposed to be bad aren't.

Those yearly outcomes are in large part due to the schedule.

High expectation teams playing 1st-place schedules and lower expectation teams playing last-place schedules..

You do know there are only 3 different opponents?
compared to Indy:
Dallas - NYG
Baltimore -Pittsburgh
KC Oakland

that is a significant difference! Still, I think the schedule appears particularly difficult because we are playing the NFC north, which is on an upswing... and the entire division has to deal with the NFC north.

So it's not 3 games?
why so argumentative? I wasn't debating the number of games. I was just highlighting that those three games make a significant impact on the schedule. And, further suggesting possible reasons why fans may react to this year's schedule with concern.

On another note, I had been away from this board for years due to life stuff and the fact that I hated the Texan organization. Unfortunately, I am about done with this board again. Too much bitterness and hostility.

why so argumentative? I wasn't debating the number of games. I was just highlighting that those three games make a significant impact on the schedule. And, further suggesting possible reasons why fans may react to this year's schedule with concern.

On another note, I had been away from this board for years due to life stuff and the fact that I hated the Texan organization. Unfortunately, I am about done with this board again. Too much bitterness and hostility.
I'm sorry, not trying to be argumentative. Just trying to point out that it's only 3 out of 17. Last year at this time anyone looking that had the Texans or Colts on their schedule instead of Titans or Jags thought they were getting an easier schedule. My point is that last years results really don't mean squat. Each team has to play 17 tough games. Winning is not easy

Exactly. In the long run, the schedule doesn't matter anyways. Every year some teams that are supposed to be really good aren't, and some teams that are supposed to be bad aren't.
The "strength of schedule" stuff or who the Texans are playing might not matter, but the "when" they play certainly does. How many short weeks, or how many teams do they play coming off a bye week. Things like that matter. The parity that exists in the NFL makes most games competitive. Any given Sunday.

Stick around. You post good stuff. Put the A-holes on ignore. That's what I do.

It's a great schedule! I can't imagine it being put together better for the Texans. Here are some reasons why:

1. 1st week game at Indy (Richardson's 1st game in almost a year)... great timing for our away game at Indy
2. Home opener is also the 1st primetime game in years... crowd will be INSANE. great advantage for week 2
3. week 3 at Minnesota- good to get them early with rookie QB (but not so early that there isn't some tape on him and the offense)
4. I like that we have most of our weaker away opponents during the first two months of the season.
5. All of our short games are against opponents dealing with the same (or worse) turn around with only one exception (vs. Tennessee on 11/24 after the 11/18 Monday night game at Dallas)
6. And, we have a number of well timed extra long times between games (after 10/31 at NYJets, we get until 11/10 to play Detroit on SNF... also, after the 12/25 game vs. Baltimore, we have until the 1/5 game at Tennessee to prepare for what could be a vital game.
7. I love the late bye, before 3 very difficult , consecutive conference games.
8. Putting 3 prime time games consecutively in the middle of the season limits the disruptiveness of all those prime time games being scattered throughout the season..
9. I don't see any terrible stretch of road games or any other scheduling flaw that could be problematic.
I would prefer to play the stronger teams earlier in the season as the Texans will be healthier overall. A win in November/December counts just as much as one in September/October. Playing tougher teams later in the season completely derailed the Dolphins last season.
I prefer a late bye also. I like a bye mid-season the best.
The Texans are playing a 1st place schedule and will have to prove that they deserve to play that kind of schedule. Line them up and let them play.

Say old school we have to have tougher skin than this. JB was only making a valid point in which he explained on his last response to you.

Reactions: JB
God I’m such a grammar nazi, but reading that tweet is like the grammar/English equivalent of listening to fingernails down a chalkboard to me. I can’t take anyone even slightly seriously who posts stuff like that.

God I’m such a grammar nazi, but reading that tweet is like the grammar/English equivalent of listening to fingernails down a chalkboard to me. I can’t take anyone even slightly seriously who posts stuff like that.
It's all written by retard A.I these people these days.
Even the posts that don't need to recognize.. Lower expectations

Looking forward to our 2nd game. Hoping Cj throws for 6 tds to quiet that fan base. Unlike Cj, I question Caleb Williams post snap problem solving. Can’t wait to see bear fans excuses when Caleb doesn’t live up to the hype

Damn why so much Prime time hate? I personally love Prime time games, there is just a different feel and atmosphere about it that makes it feel a little more special to me.

Plus a Christmas game... I have 5 soon to be 6 kids. If I can stall a little bit I could get by without having to be Bob the builder all day!
I haven't made a big deal about it in this thread, but I also hate prime time games.

Prime time games start around 2:15-2:30am for me. While that's OK for me, it's not OK for my wife.

Even when we were back in the States, there was no way in hell my wife was going to be awake past 10pm. She stays up later these days now that she's retired, but 2am is still out of the question. So I have to wait until the next day to watch these games with her and she has to go out of her way not to see the score in the morning.

I like the SNF and MNF football prime-time games, especially on Sunday night. I have no problem with those. My beef is the Thu...and now Fri and Wed games. I hate those games. That is terrible for highly tuned athletes in a physical sport. As a fan, I don't think the quality of play is as high either, and I have no data to substantiate it, but it just seems logical there is a higher chance for an injury. There also starts to be a "too much of a good thing" impact, and it waters down the impact.

It's like one pair of nice boobs every weekend and then suddenly getting 10 pairs of nice boobs in your face. Wait, that's a terrible analogy. :smiliepalm:

I like the SNF and MNF football prime-time games, especially on Sunday night. I have no problem with those. My beef is the Thu...and now Fri and Wed games. I hate those games. That is terrible for highly tuned athletes in a physical sport. As a fan, I don't think the quality of play is as high either, and I have no data to substantiate it, but it just seems logical there is a higher chance for an injury. There also starts to be a "too much of a good thing" impact, and it waters down the impact.

It's like one pair of nice boobs every weekend and then suddenly getting 10 pairs of nice boobs in your face. Wait, that's a terrible analogy. :smiliepalm:
It’s a job in which these players are getting paid hand over fist. Yes it can be taxing but guess what they’re not out here working a graveyard shift.

Texans all time head-to-head record:
4-2 against the Bears
4-1 against the Lions
1-4 against the Packers
0-5 against the Vikings
5-5 against the Bills
3-9 against the Patriots
11-32-1 against the Colts
3-7 against the Jets
2-4 against the Cowboys
21-23 against the Titans
29-15 against the Jags
8-3 against the Dolphins
5-7 against the Chiefs
2-10 against the Ravens

Not that those records mean anything. Just thought I'd throw those out there for anyone interested.

Having lived in Minnesota for 12 years, I really hope the Texans can finally beat those guys. I still have friends up there and in Wisconsin, too as I lived on the border of those two states. For whatever reason, my Packer friends are humble, but my Vikings friends talk a lot of trash about always beating the Texans. It's gotten really old.

Texans all time head-to-head record:
4-2 against the Bears
4-1 against the Lions
1-4 against the Packers
0-5 against the Vikings
5-5 against the Bills
3-9 against the Patriots
11-32-1 against the Colts
3-7 against the Jets
2-4 against the Cowboys
21-23 against the Titans
29-15 against the Jags
8-3 against the Dolphins
5-7 against the Chiefs
2-10 against the Ravens

Not that those records mean anything. Just thought I'd throw those out there for anyone interested.

Having lived in Minnesota for 12 years, I really hope the Texans can finally beat those guys. I still have friends up there and in Wisconsin, too as I lived on the border of those two states. For whatever reason, my Packer friends are humble, but my Vikings friends talk a lot of trash about always beating the Texans. It's gotten really old.

I’m talking to my buddy tomorrow about getting Texans/Vikings tickets for the game there, his wife is a big Vikings fan.

Looking forward to our 2nd game. Hoping Cj throws for 6 tds to quiet that fan base. Unlike Cj, I question Caleb Williams post snap problem solving. Can’t wait to see bear fans excuses when Caleb doesn’t live up to the hype
I hope the kid succeeds but loses to the Texans. I think the same of all football players. Success against everyone but the Texans.

I doubt the Texans will be any healthier than game 1. If the Colts thought they were in a fight in week 18 last year, wait until they get a load of this bunch.
I believe that it would help the Texans if they started the season with a W for a change. It would give them a winning streak to build on right away. Having to go into Lucas Oil Stadium right off the bat doesn't do the Texans any favors to make that task any easier. The Colts will also be at their healthiest on Week 1 as well, and at home.

I believe that it would help the Texans if they started the season with a W for a change. It would give them a winning streak to build on right away. Having to go into Lucas Oil Stadium right off the bat doesn't do the Texans any favors to make that task any easier. The Colts will also be at their healthiest on Week 1 as well, and at home.
Except one team has a top 5 qb (based off last season). This is a new feeling for a lot of us Texan fans. We can go into every game unbothered because we have an elite qb. Feels awesome

popcorn-yeah.gif

I just noticed the Texans have four preseason games this year since they're playing in the hall of fame game to kick off the NFL year. More chances to evaluate all the newbies.

Apologize if it’s been posted already, but what game will be with the fire red alternate uniforms?

Is it the road game or the Colts you are concerned with? This isn’t the easiest game on the schedule. That is and will forever be at Jacksonville. But it’s far from the most difficult. It’s a ways off, but currently the Texans are 1.5 point favorites for week 1.

I just noticed the Texans have four preseason games this year since they're playing in the hall of fame game to kick off the NFL year. More chances to evaluate all the newbies.
I'll be going to the HOF game. I live about half an hour north of Canton. I would really like to get AJ to sign my 80 jersey.

In my opinion it's a pretty brutal schedule.

We play the NFCN which I think may be the best division in football this year. Packers and Lions will be contenders. Vikings and Bears both have talented rosters just with question marks at QB.

Then we have the AFCE which is also a solid division. The Bills will be contenders and the Dolphins will be competing for a playoff spot. The Jets are a bit of a wildcard, very talented roster just have to wait and see how Rodgers plays. Even the Patriots have some hope, they have a good defense and I think they got the 2nd best rookie QB in the draft.

Then we have our 3 first place games against the Cowboys, Chiefs, and Ravens. Don't think I need to elaborate there.

Finally the AFCS is going to be very competitive. Lawrence and the Jags will absolutely be a good team this year and the Colts were right behind us for the division last year with Minshew. If Richardson can stay healthy they will be a significant threat. And even the Titans I think are interesting. They've added a decent amount of pieces this offseason and unless Levis just sucks I don't think they'll be pushovers.

We'll see once the season starts but I don't think we'll get any freebies this year. We're gonna have to come ready to play week in and week out

We play the NFCN which I think may be the best division in football this year. Packers and Lions will be contenders. Vikings and Bears both have talented rosters just with question marks at QB.

Then we have the AFCE which is also a solid division. The Bills will be contenders and the Dolphins will be competing for a playoff spot. The Jets are a bit of a wildcard, very talented roster just have to wait and see how Rodgers plays. Even the Patriots have some hope, they have a good defense and I think they got the 2nd best rookie QB in the draft.

Then we have our 3 first place games against the Cowboys, Chiefs, and Ravens. Don't think I need to elaborate there.

Finally the AFCS is going to be very competitive. Lawrence and the Jags will absolutely be a good team this year and the Colts were right behind us for the division last year with Minshew. If Richardson can stay healthy they will be a significant threat. And even the Titans I think are interesting. They've added a decent amount of pieces this offseason and unless Levis just sucks I don't think they'll be pushovers.

We'll see once the season starts but I don't think we'll get any freebies this year. We're gonna have to come ready to play week in and week out
It is a tough schedule...at least at the moment it looks tough.

The way I look at it, the schedule is tougher this year. The good thing, though, is the Texans added enough talent to balance things out. Joe Mixon should be an upgrade over Singletary. The WR position group got a significant boost with Diggs. The defense pass rush improved over last year with Hunter. Al-Shaair adds a veteran presence in the LB corps and he's at least as good as Cashman. I think he's an improvement and he's familiar with DeMeco's defense. Denico Autry adds an upgrade on the defensive line over Maliek Collins, I don't think it's even a question who's the better player. Okudah takes over for Steve Nelson.

Tougher schedule, better talent on both sides of the ball. It's hard for me to believe the Texans won't at least equal last season's win total. I'm also not worried about the Texans coming out flat in any game. Demeco just isn't the kind of guy who would put up with less than 100% effort from the players. Ryan's also doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that takes a team for granted. 12 weeks in, hypothetically speaking, if the Texans are 12-0 and they're playing a team that's 0-12, I'm guessing the team comes out with the same intensity that they would if they're playing a game in the playoffs. I think the days of the team coming out flat are behind us.

Every year top teams tend to give a freebie or two. Sometimes it’s just not their day on that particular game. Yes the schedule is tough but guess what, we’ve went out and add top level talent to the great cast we had from last season. Teams can’t look at the Texans now as an for show win. They’re going to have to bring it to.

Every year top teams tend to give a freebie or two. Sometimes it’s just not their day on that particular game. Yes the schedule is tough but guess what, we’ve went out and add top level talent to the great cast we had from last season. Teams can’t look at the Texans now as an for show win. They’re going to have to bring it to.

The Texans are a top level team that no one can look past now. With DeMeco in charge, I think they'll stay that way for a long time. Especially with Stroud and Tricky Nick.

It is a tough schedule...at least at the moment it looks tough.

The way I look at it, the schedule is tougher this year. The good thing, though, is the Texans added enough talent to balance things out. Joe Mixon should be an upgrade over Singletary. The WR position group got a significant boost with Diggs. The defense pass rush improved over last year with Hunter. Al-Shaair adds a veteran presence in the LB corps and he's at least as good as Cashman. I think he's an improvement and he's familiar with DeMeco's defense. Denico Autry adds an upgrade on the defensive line over Maliek Collins, I don't think it's even a question who's the better player. Okudah takes over for Steve Nelson.

Tougher schedule, better talent on both sides of the ball. It's hard for me to believe the Texans won't at least equal last season's win total. I'm also not worried about the Texans coming out flat in any game. Demeco just isn't the kind of guy who would put up with less than 100% effort from the players. Ryan's also doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that takes a team for granted. 12 weeks in, hypothetically speaking, if the Texans are 12-0 and they're playing a team that's 0-12, I'm guessing the team comes out with the same intensity that they would if they're playing a game in the playoffs. I think the days of the team coming out flat are behind us.
Speaking about the coming out flat part I disagree. DeMeco did a great job but 2 of our losses were to the Jets and Panthers. We definitely didn’t come to play in those games

Speaking about the coming out flat part I disagree. DeMeco did a great job but 2 of our losses were to the Jets and Panthers. We definitely didn’t come to play in those games
Yep, you're right. I guess my brain erased those games from my memory. CJ had some real stinkers. He had 91 passing yards in the Jets game and the defense got torched by Zach Wilson. In the Panthers game the defense came to play. The offense overall was terrible, no excusing that performance. CJ was mediocre at best as was Singletary. In addition to the Jets and Panthers they lost to the Falcons.

In reality the Texans backed into the playoffs because of the Jaguars collapsing at the end of the season. Little room for error this year. They have to get up for teams that are struggling.

Yep, you're right. I guess my brain erased those games from my memory. CJ had some real stinkers. He had 91 passing yards in the Jets game and the defense got torched by Zach Wilson. In the Panthers game the defense came to play. The offense overall was terrible, no excusing that performance. CJ was mediocre at best as was Singletary. In addition to the Jets and Panthers they lost to the Falcons.

In reality the Texans backed into the playoffs because of the Jaguars collapsing at the end of the season. Little room for error this year. They have to get up for teams that are struggling.
The Texans were a great story in 2023, hopefully they'll be a great team in 2024

I can't, at the moment, recall the Jets game, but I remember that in the Carolina game their defensive line was getting tons of pressure with their front 4. All QBs suffer when they're constantly under pressure.

Saw this elsewhere and thought it was fairly interesting. It's the rest differential for each opponent we face throughout the season.

0rtecqxjpu1d1.jpeg

Only 2 deficit games to 4 surplus games, and the worst deficit we face is returned equally in our favor the very next game.

And a nice 4 day cushion against a division opponent to end the season.

Of course we should have the number 1 seed locked by then and it won't matter.

Saw this elsewhere and thought it was fairly interesting. It's the rest differential for each opponent we face throughout the season.

0rtecqxjpu1d1.jpeg

Not that any of them dont qualify, but the last 9 games (given the bye and div/conf opponents) are going to define this franchise. I'm ok letting off the gas a little for the @DAL / MIA* (depending on where they sit in the division) vs KC/BAL*/TEN trifecta to end the season....

teams with * should be played with roster that consists of players health, depth chart, IL-- relative to (opponents') record/schedule/playoff implications

Back