Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your thoughts on this Spencer/Winston question

LBC_Justin

Rookie
Ok so at the top of the third round the Texans had two consecutive picks. They took Spencer and then with the next pick took Winston.

Most draft experts had Winston as a 2nd round pick and rated to go before Spencer.

I know it didn't matter who they chose first at that point, but do you guys think they chose them in that order for a reason?

Do you think the Texans staff thought longer and harder about taking Winston?
Do you think they chose Spencer first because it would make it easier to negociate with Winston? or to light a fire under Winston?

What theories do you guys have?

I doubt the order ment anything. At best we have two bookend tackles starting for us in the years to come. I can say that I thought Winston was going to be the starting LT when drafted, but thats why I'm posting on this board rather then in the War room helping them pick.

=)

I personally think that they thought Eric Winston would try to get more money. But if you pick an O-lineman right before him, then sign him, it was easy for them to put a ceiling on Winston's contract.

my personal opinion based on absolutely nothing but my gut feeling.

They wanted both guys badly and were probably shocked that they were both there. I am very happy we got them.

It appears right now that we got two solid guys. Anybody hear anything about how Colledge or that center from Minnesota is doing? I know they were talked about as being possible fits in our blocking scheme.

Vinny said:
I think some of you guys overestimate draft "experts".
lol - I agree totally

It is funny you brought this up, because I was just looking at how some "draft experts" mock drafts from 05 and 06 and they may know talent in some cases but looking back they certainly weren't experts on where the players would be drafted.

Vinny said:

Yup.

Also, Winston's representation was Drew Rosenhaus, someone who I am sure was pimping him to all the draft people trying to inflate his value.

I do think he is a good player, but knees are a part of a body that football players need to have functional, and that may have dropped him some on draft boards.

Texans_Chick said:
Yup.

Also, Winston's representation was Drew Rosenhaus, someone who I am sure was pimping him to all the draft people trying to inflate his value.

I do think he is a good player, but knees are a part of a body that football players need to have functional, and that may have dropped him some on draft boards.

He was probably another reason he dropped in value.

Vinny said:

Exactly. The real draft experts allowed Winston to fall to the third round. You know what? He wasn't a first round worthy, guaranteed dominant rookie starter at LT as some thought.

The guaranteed dominant rookie starter at LT title is now held by Spencer. Fans are fickle.

I think they picked Spencer first because they thought he was better. That's my theory. Judging from the depth chart, they were right.

In the end, they are both third round picks with their own strengths and weaknesses. They aren't SpencerandWinston. Spencer looks to have a very high ceiling, but he's not perfect right now despite reports to the contrary. Winston needs some seasoning, but he'll stick in the league, IMO.

I think we got our money's worth in the 3rd round this year.

Runner said:
Exactly. The real draft experts allowed Winston to fall to the third round. You know what? He wasn't a first round worthy, guaranteed dominant rookie starter at LT as some thought.

The guaranteed dominant rookie starter at LT title is now held by Spencer. Fans are fickle.

I think they picked Spencer first because they thought he was better. That's my theory. Judging from the depth chart, they were right.

In the end, they are both third round picks with their own strengths and weaknesses. They aren't SpencerandWinston. Spencer looks to have a very high ceiling, but he's not perfect right now despite reports to the contrary. Winston needs some seasoning, but he'll stick in the league, IMO.

I think we got our money's worth in the 3rd round this year.

Heck yea we did. I'm pretty pumped about Spencer being a possible starter. From what Kub said, he needs to drop a few lbs and work on his foot speed. I'm anxious to see who wins the battle between he and Wand.:redtowel:

Every time I watched a Miami game last year he was awful (I posted as such over at HPF at the times). I didn't catch his late games but, "I hear" he did better...but I generally don't trust what most people (or media) tell me since I don't think everyone knows what they are looking at when they observe the nuances of the game. While it is impossible to watch everything you would like to watch, you have to eventually trust some 3rd party 'insight', but you cross reference as much as you can. Most of my good thoughts on Winston come from his athleticism and 3rd party opinion, my bad come from watching him play (D'oh!). I really never watched Spencer but caught a Pitt game....but after watching him and observing Winston, they picked them in the correct order despite what the draftsperts were spewing.

Vinny said:
Every time I watched a Miami game last year he was awful (I posted as such over at HPF at the times). I didn't catch his late games but, "I hear" he did better...but I generally don't trust what most people (or media) tell me since I don't think everyone knows what they are looking at when they observe the nuances of the game. While it is impossible to watch everything you would like to watch, you have to eventually trust some 3rd party 'insight', but you cross reference as much as you can. Most of my good thoughts on Winston come from his athleticism and 3rd party opinion, my bad come from watching him play (D'oh!). I really never watched Spencer but caught a Pitt game....but after watching him and observing Winston, they picked them in the correct order despite what the draftsperts were spewing.

What I liked about him was his aggressiveness and athleticism before his injury. He did not play that well in the games I saw early on last year, but there is usually ramp time for OLine men and for people coming off an injury. So expectations for me would not have been until year two that we begin to see some ROI. I really wanted him in the 2nd round, but quite happy we got him in third.

LBC_Justin said:
Ok so at the top of the third round the Texans had two consecutive picks. They took Spencer and then with the next pick took Winston.

Most draft experts had Winston as a 2nd round pick and rated to go before Spencer.

I know it didn't matter who they chose first at that point, but do you guys think they chose them in that order for a reason?

Do you think the Texans staff thought longer and harder about taking Winston?
Do you think they chose Spencer first because it would make it easier to negociate with Winston? or to light a fire under Winston?

What theories do you guys have?

Winston had a major injury 1 season before last one, I think they were not sure if he had come back enough yet...but that is just my opinion. They say takes 2-3 years to come abck from that unjury

I definately think all are correct to some extent. Without the injury Winston goes a lot higher so by taking him behind Spencer you negate that bargaining chip.
As to the quality of his play last year I would refer to the defensive co-ordinators of the ACC. They awarded him the Jacobs Award as the best lineman in the ACC. These people are coaches not media so I think they have credibility in the knowledge of their choice.
I also think we got two great third round picks in both these players.
From doctors I have spoken with they say it takes from 18-24 months to come back from the type of injury Eric had. Last season he played after only ten months time and never missed a game or practice all season. I like this kid attitude. I think these two are the foundation of the future!!

LBC_Justin said:
I personally think that they thought Eric Winston would try to get more money. But if you pick an O-lineman right before him, then sign him, it was easy for them to put a ceiling on Winston's contract.

my personal opinion based on absolutely nothing but my gut feeling.

They wanted both guys badly and were probably shocked that they were both there. I am very happy we got them.
I agree. I remember hearing or reading that Winston might want to argue for 1st round $ but would not have as strong a position if Spenser was selected 1st. As I've stated before, I was pretty ticked off when Ryans was selected as I thought LT was by far the bigger need.. as you confessed, I rightfully ain't in the war room either. I could not believe that Winston was there & then I got to know about Spenser.. wow. With the Oline coach and the Green Bay coach on our team, the O line could be set for years! I am rooting for Hodgdon to eventually take over when Flanagan slows.

Back