Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your Texans Defense...

HeartofHouston

Waterboy
Okay we all see the depth chart and some people feel that it looks good and some people don't but if you were to name the starters for your Texans Defense what would it look like on Sept 10th ?... (keep in mind current injuries and what nots)

Sanders - Brown - Earl - Robinson
Orr ------- Ryans ------ Greenwood
Peek - Johnson - Payne - Williams

HeartofHouston said:
Okay we all see the depth chart and some people feel that it looks good and some people don't but if you were to name the starters for your Texans Defense what would it look like on Sept 10th ?... (keep in mind current injuries and what nots)

I like 10 out of your 11, but I don't think you sign Weaver and have him sit (unless there is an injury I don't know about). Replace Peek with Weaver and you have my starting D

V Man said:
I like 10 out of your 11, but I don't think you sign Weaver and have him sit (unless there is an injury I don't know about). Replace Peek with Weaver and you have my starting D
exactly what i was thinking. Pop peek in there on passing downs.

HeartofHouston said:

Honeslty, on paper does that defense scare you?
Our backfield has to be one of the weakest in the division, if not the league. But hey, we can't revamp this team in just one off season. We are going to get torched a few times and Ryans will need time to get adjusted.

No, that backfield is not going to scare anyone but it is probably the best that we have ever had.

I was hoping RichardSmith could work some magic and get some coverage from our safeties, but I haven't seen anything resembling such in the Preseason.

But I think our tandem hit just as hard as any pair in the league.

& while I agree, you don't pay a guy a bunch of money to put him on the bench, you have to play your best players.

--------Babin-----TJ-----Payne-------Mario--------
--DR--------Orr----Ryans-----Wong--------PBUch--
----------Earl----------------------CC-----

on Passing downs, Mario slides to DT, Peek comes on the Weekside.

Wong is supposed to be ready isn't he??

In run situations my front four would be: Williams | Payne | TJ/Weaver | Weaver/Babin

In pass situations: Williams/Babin | Payne/Williams | Weaver | Peek

LBs: Orr | Ryans | Greenwood

DBs: Robinson | Earl | Brown | Buchanon

Sanders is "good enough" but IMO Buchanon has looked better this preseason. I would chance it on Buchanon's upper-echelon athleticism early on. Not sure if the coaches disagree with me tape-wise or if there is something going on in practice that I'm not aware of, but I am a little surprised if Sanders is the starter as of now.

Kubiak has mentioned that Sanders earned the starting job. I know he didn't do much last year but who did. I am going to give him the benefit of an offseason to see how much better he has become.

My Defense and Why:

Starters: Sanders/Earl/Brown/Robinson
..............Orr/MeCo/Greenwood
..............Weaver/TJ/Payne/Mario

Although some on the board have undermined Weavers play, contrary to popular belief, Weaver is our best Defensive Lineman. He plays his role; He isn't there to make a bunch of plays. He is essentially there to not be moved. That is why they switched Mario to weakside; so they can take advantage of his athleticism. Weaver has played SDE better than any player on our team. TJ and Payne are our best DT's excluding Mario. Mario is better suited for WDE than he is SDE. On the weakside the DE is more free to make plays and will be operating in space, so therefore has to be athletic. The reason Sanders gets the start over Buchannon is because Sanders is way more physical than Buchanon, and if we are going to be as agressive as advertised our Corners have to be physical and able to make solo tackles on Running Backs and Wide recievers. as ther won't be much help from blitzing linebackers...

Passing Situations: Babin/TJ or Weaver/ Mario/ Peek
*LB's and Safeties remain the same except Buchannon needs to be on the field

Babin and Peek Are pass rushing fools...These guys should be in on every definite passing play. Neither are capable of being full time starters at this point. Weaver and TJ are interchangeable...I don't expect many sacks from either one...And Mario is Mario....I moved him to inside so we can have our best pass rushers on the field. And Buchannon is a cover corner and on passing plays he should be money.

Tayton said:
No, that backfield is not going to scare anyone but it is probably the best that we have ever had.

Agreed. It isnt scary, but it is decent.

Dunta is a great young player. If the Texans can manage to keep him long term, they will be in great shape on that side of the field for a long time.

There are a few other spots that are lacking. But as mentioned, it wont happen overnight. Within 3 or 4 more years, things will turn around.

Heck, this might be the first winning season in franchise history. Thats something to be happy about right there.

xtruroyaltyx said:
My Defense and Why:

Starters: Sanders/Earl/Brown/Robinson
..............Orr/MeCo/Greenwood
..............Weaver/TJ/Payne/Mario

Although some on the board have undermined Weavers play, contrary to popular belief, Weaver is our best Defensive Lineman. He plays his role; He isn't there to make a bunch of plays. He is essentially there to not be moved. That is why they switched Mario to weakside; so they can take advantage of his athleticism. Weaver has played SDE better than any player on our team. TJ and Payne are our best DT's excluding Mario. Mario is better suited for WDE than he is SDE. On the weakside the DE is more free to make plays and will be operating in space, so therefore has to be athletic. The reason Sanders gets the start over Buchannon is because Sanders is way more physical than Buchanon, and if we are going to be as agressive as advertised our Corners have to be physical and able to make solo tackles on Running Backs and Wide recievers. as ther won't be much help from blitzing linebackers...

Passing Situations: Babin/TJ or Weaver/ Mario/ Peek
*LB's and Safeties remain the same except Buchannon needs to be on the field

Babin and Peek Are pass rushing fools...These guys should be in on every definite passing play. Neither are capable of being full time starters at this point. Weaver and TJ are interchangeable...I don't expect many sacks from either one...And Mario is Mario....I moved him to inside so we can have our best pass rushers on the field. And Buchannon is a cover corner and on passing plays he should be money.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. i like peek and mario on the same side too. Peek and babin should definatly be in on passing downs and mario will collapse the pocket from the inside with superior size/athleticism. i prefer weaver to TJ on passing downs at this point but i am willing to be persuaded if TJ steps up and becomes what he was billed to be when drafted.

I predict (you can quote me on this" :) that we will be a top 10 defense this year with the realistic possibility of being a top 5 defense. Call me crazy if you need to but we will all see soon enough.

I'm going to go a little outside of the box on this one.

Weaver/TJ/Mario/ Peek

Greenwood/Ryans/Orr

D-rob/Brown/Earl/Sanders

My reasoning behind this is we could shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 giving Philly different looks. While I don't love Peek in pass protection he still is able to play LB.

RiotCommander said:
I'm going to go a little outside of the box on this one.

Weaver/TJ/Mario/ Peek

Greenwood/Ryans/Orr

D-rob/Brown/Earl/Sanders

My reasoning behind this is we could shift from the 4-3 to the 3-4 giving Philly different looks. While I don't love Peek in pass protection he still is able to play LB.

What do you mean by this statement...And suppose we did shift to a 3-4...who's your other MLB ? Greenwood ? no thank you....

*edit: are you saying you like peek more as a LB than DE ?

xtruroyaltyx said:
What do you mean by this statement...And suppose we did shift to a 3-4...who's your other MLB ? Greenwood ? no thank you....

*edit: are you saying you like peek more as a LB than DE ?

I'm sorry I thought what I was saying was obvious. You could have Peek stand up and move back into a LB before the snap giving McNabb something else to think about. I think this may actually work better with Babin as I think he was a better Linebacker, but I like Peek better on the line. I don't know that we have a person that could do both equally as well. The point behind it is confusing McNabb so he doesn't always know what we are doing before the snap.

It could be a bad idea *shrug*

what i want to know is what did TJ do to earn a starting spot? was the just that damn good this preseason and i didnt realize it?

this is the defense i want to start...

peek - payne - weaver - m. williams
orr - ryans - greenwood
sanders - brown - earl - robinson

RiotCommander said:
I'm sorry I thought what I was saying was obvious. You could have Peek stand up and move back into a LB before the snap giving McNabb something else to think about. I think this may actually work better with Babin as I think he was a better Linebacker, but I like Peek better on the line. I don't know that we have a person that could do both equally as well. The point behind it is confusing McNabb so he doesn't always know what we are doing before the snap.

It could be a bad idea *shrug*

I understood that you were saying drop peek back...but what I was saying is that means Greenwood or Orr would have to play MLB...and I don't like either one of those guys in the middle...It's one thing to drop a DE into coverage Vs. Shift to a 3-4...if you meant shift to a 3-4; I haven't seen them shift but I have seen a 3-4 this pre-season....If you meant drop a DE into coverage; I have also seen them do this...But if you meant what you said "shift to a 3-4" I don't think that would be wise...

TexanFanInCC said:
what i want to know is what did TJ do to earn a starting spot? was the just that damn good this preseason and i didnt realize it?

orr - ryans - greenwood

From the Tackle position, only Mario & TJ got any push whatsoever. IMHO, they were to only ones who affected the game, passing or rushing from the DT spot.

I think TJ's best game was against StL.... he was so quick off the ball, it was almost unreal.

Kinda bit him in the Denver game.

TexanFanInCC said:

orr - ryans - greenwood

If I were the eagles and the texans put that DL out there I would run...every...single...down...

xtruroyaltyx said:
I understood that you were saying drop peek back...but what I was saying is that means Greenwood or Orr would have to play MLB...and I don't like either one of those guys in the middle...It's one thing to drop a DE into coverage Vs. Shift to a 3-4...if you meant shift to a 3-4; I haven't seen them shift but I have seen a 3-4 this pre-season....If you meant drop a DE into coverage; I have also seen them do this...But if you meant what you said "shift to a 3-4" I don't think that would be wise...

Just shifting into coverage isn't really what I had in mind though it does have something to offer. And yeah I have seen us do this as well. I will just file my idea away in the "never speak of this again" section.

RiotCommander said:
Just shifting into coverage isn't really what I had in mind though it does have something to offer. And yeah I have seen us do this as well. I will just file my idea away in the "never speak of this again" section.

You are a Riot Commander....stand up and fight for what you believe in....:shoot: ....lol

We just picked up an LB from the Packers Roy Manning. In TC, he played behind A.J. Hawk. He had no standout credentials from STs and was expected to show his stuff on the final game of the preseason. He did not stand out and was subsequently released. Maybe Sherman saw something in him, because there is nothing outstanding about him in in his collegiate career. I don't really understand this pick.

xtruroyaltyx said:
You are a Riot Commander....stand up and fight for what you believe in....:shoot: ....lol

Thats just it, I never fully understood the 3-4 as I do the 4-3 so defending shifting into it is difficult. The whole point that I like is giving McNabb something to think about before the snap. Because pressure alone wont beat him. We had a heck of a time stopping a scrambling QB last week. Do you really want to see what happens when its a good one?

I think a mix of pressure and confusing him will be the difference in winning, and losing.

RiotCommander said:
Thats just it, I never fully understood the 3-4 as I do the 4-3 so defending shifting into it is difficult. The whole point that I like is giving McNabb something to think about before the snap. Because pressure alone wont beat him. We had a heck of a time stopping a scrambling QB last week. Do you really want to see what happens when its a good one?

I think a mix of pressure and confusing him will be the difference in winning, and losing.

oh ok...I get what you are saying now....Shift to a 3-4 but the players still have 4-3 assignments ?? that would be cool...But they could only do it once...and it may not even fool the Eagles that one time...D.McNabb is no spring chicken...he's been around and it will take more than an alignment shift to get him rattled...

xtruroyaltyx said:
oh ok...I get what you are saying now....Shift to a 3-4 but the players still have 4-3 assignments ?? that would be cool...But they could only do it once...and it may not even fool the Eagles that one time...D.McNabb is no spring chicken...he's been around and it will take more than an alignment shift to get him rattled...

Nah you would have to mix it up. Even a rookie would eventually pick up on that.

CloakNNNdagger said:
We just picked up an LB from the Packers Roy Manning. In TC, he played behind A.J. Hawk. He had no standout credentials from STs and was expected to show his stuff on the final game of the preseason. He did not stand out and was subsequently released. Maybe Sherman saw something in him, because there is nothing outstanding about him in in his collegiate career. I don't really understand this pick.

I agree with you. Excluding Dayne, I'm kind of skeptical of our waiver aquisitions. Looking at thier past experience, I'm not seeing anything to be excited about.:confused: Obviously Kubiak sees something in them. I guess that's all that matters.:)

AggieTexanFan said:
Are best defensive backfield was when we had Glenn opposite Robinson

The best cornerbacks we have had was Glenn opposite Robinson. The best backfield is the one we have now. We had Matt Stevens at Safety when those 2 played together.

Tayton said:
The best cornerbacks we have had was Glenn opposite Robinson. The best backfield is the one we have now. We had Matt Stevens at Safety when those 2 played together.

Marlon McCree benched Stevens after the 5th game in 2003. Marcus Coleman was the starting FS in 2004 when Robinson was drafted.

C'mon now this defense is very raw and at times with the opposing QB's #1 in for the tosses this preseason, a lot of the backs just plain were beaten. With gloves off, most teams will pick apart this secondary. Having Sanders as a starter speaks volumes on how our backs are compared to other teams. Dunta should be the second cornerback and our safeties are still nothing to get excited about. We need a roving safety that can disguise his intentions before a play.

SESupergenius said:
C'mon now this defense is very raw and at times with the opposing QB's #1 in for the tosses this preseason, a lot of the backs just plain were beaten. With gloves off, most teams will pick apart this secondary. Having Sanders as a starter speaks volumes on how our backs are compared to other teams. Dunta should be the second cornerback and our safeties are still nothing to get excited about. We need a roving safety that can disguise his intentions before a play.

I agree with everything except Dunta, I think he is a #1.

Back