Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Your quarterback is the next Favre

A

adamb10

Packer fan here,

1st off great game! It was close game especially that 4th quarter. I took this game as a easy win at the beginning of the season. I thought of the Texans as the Detroit Lions. Boy was I wrong. Your Texans played great out there. Congrats on nearly beating us.

Your QB David Carr is the next Brett Favre. He has got a good arm and I can see him being in the hall of fame some day. :) Don't ever trade that guy.

Welcome to the site adamb10 and the kind words in the first post. It's a little rough right now in the growing stages, especially since we've seen flashes of what's to come. Now, if those flashes could come a little more consistent.

adamb10 said:
Packer fan here,

1st off great game! It was close game especially that 4th quarter. I took this game as a easy win at the beginning of the season. I thought of the Texans as the Detroit Lions. Boy was I wrong. Your Texans played great out there. Congrats on nearly beating us.

Your QB David Carr is the next Brett Favre. He has got a good arm and I can see him being in the hall of fame some day. :) Don't ever trade that guy.

Thank you for your post.. I believe you are right. Carr might be the next Favre of the future. (But you got the man, must be happy with that tho, smile). My question is, with health issues and such for Favre, what do you see in the future of your QB situtation when Brett steps down (not that I hope its soon, but getting older tho).

I've always liked Favre. This was the first game I've ever watched where I could honestly say that if we had to lose at least we lost to a good guy like Favre. He's a throwback for sure.

It's too bad Carr did not show that Farve moxie last night. I have never seen Farve check down to 2 running plays and then throw a 1 yard pass.IMO Carr is the heart and soul of the offense and it was painful to watch him not step up to the challenge.I know Carr was trying to put the team in the best position to win but with less than 8 minutes left in the game I want #8 throwing the ball down the field.End of my rant.
:cool:

thanks for the well wishes :).. yah Carr is going to be great.. give us another season to iron out the offense and get some more personel on defense and we might be meeting in the post season.

oh.. and sorry for the state of the board :P.. apparently our short winning streak this year earned us a few bandwagon fans.. and they are all coming out to spew their ignorance at anyone who will read it.

Are you kidding? I don't know how long this guy has been a pack fan, but he's out of line here. I'm pretty sure he's just kissing some ***** to make you guys feel better.

David Carr is a good QB. Above average. He is NOT the next Favre, no one in the league right now resembles a young Brett Favre.

David Carr is David Carr. Let him define his career by himself. Right now, he seems more worried about his hair than the next playcall. I swear, I had a couple of buds over to watch the packer game and we were all looking around, wondering if he just took off his helmet to fix his hair.

Anways, good game texan fans. I thought we were going to steamroll you guys, but you really showed some heart out there. Best of luck for the rest of the year...

what is it with packers fans? I expected them to be cool, but the ones near my section were complete morons and jerks. I never thought I would say this but I actually enjoyed the Raiders, Vikings, and dare I say JAGUARS fans more than these losers. Even my mom, a lifelong Pack fan, was disgusted with some of the Packers fans at the game last nite... you guys were really dissapointing in your sportsmanship/respect category.

And by the way... I still really really hate the Jaguars and everyone associated with them.

Hi,

Not a regular here and I am not a troll but I had to register and tip my hat to your team.

Before the season I had this down as a very dangerous game. While Packer fans were stressing over the Vikes and Eagles it was this game that had me worried.

I am very impressed with your organization. I feel you are one more good draft away from being among the AFCs elite. Maybe not quite to the level of the Patriots just yet but certainly w/ the Colts and Broncos.

Carr is a classy young player and you guys are on the right track. Just a few more pieces needed.

I am not at all surprised by the game...hard fought,clean,fun. Experience was the difference. In 10 years Carr will be the ol' vet w/ 1 or 2 Super Bowl rings frustrating some young buck QB for another team.

In dealing w/ Bear and Viking fans its refreshing to see fans w/ intelligence and class.

Good luck the rest of the season.

Packattack said:
Are you kidding? ... David Carr is a good QB... He is NOT the next Favre...
I guess Packattack notices differences between Carr and Favre, like:

a) Every team passed on Favre in the draft (2nd round);
b) Favre was traded by the team that drafted him after only one year;
c) Alcoholism and drug addiction; and
d) 6 interceptions in a playoff game (St. Louis)

I guess Packattack notices differences between Carr and Favre, like:

a) Every team passed on Favre in the draft -Every team passed on Montana too....twice in fact (3rd rd).

b) Favre is the only 3 time MVP.

c) Alcoholism and drug addiction; and Favre is a human who fessed up and cleaned up his act. I'm sure a few of your sports heros drink and cheat on thier wife and do drugs..only those players aren't half the player,man or person Brett is AND they likely will never do anything to clean up that part of thier life. By 'drugs' you make it sound like he did crack. He got hooked on a legal drug due to pain from his job. One play in the NFL you'd be hit and would probably never walk right again. You forgot to mention whe Favre opted out of a practice to be w/ his wife when she was tested for cancer. What a bum he is!

d) 2 Super Bowls and 3 NFC title games.

e) 6 interceptions in a playoff game (St. Louis) At least Favre PLAYS in play off games. Lets see how many Carr plays in. Fact is,the team Carr leads RIGHT NOW is light years ahead of the 92 Packers in terms of talent yet Favre led that team to 9-7. The following year he took the Pack into Detroit and won a PO game. Carr? Didn't think so.

:BananaWav

Mistril48 said:
c) Alcoholism and drug addiction;
now i cant understand bashing favre for these things. criticizing someone for alcohol and drug problems. WTF? thats not too cool. you know god forbid someones life isnt picture perfect like dave carrs.

Youngstown Colt said:
now i cant understand bashing favre for these things. criticizing someone for alcohol and drug problems. WTF? thats not too cool. you know god forbid someones life isnt picture perfect like dave carrs.
You're right. It's inexcusable. Thank you for calling me on it.

My point simply is that while Favre is a great QB (perhaps the best ever - everyone is entitled to their own opinion) I am sick of the media acting like he is perfect and can do no wrong. It's a better and more realistic story that he's a great QB and a real human being. He makes lots of mistakes. He throws intercpetions, makes bad reads, but still picks himself up. Why is it necessary to try to turn him into a fairy tale?

I am so sick of the media saying "If I needed 1 QB for 1 game, I'd take Brett Favre." Quess what - the playoff game against the Rams was the Packers biggest game of the year in 2002 and he threw 6 interceptions - maybe that day Montana would have been a better choice. The next year, the home playoff game against the inexperienced Falcons was the biggest Packer game. Another loss. Last year. The playoff game against the Seahawks was the biggest game of their year to that point. In overtime, Brett got the ball and couldn't get a first down. On the next series, a Packer CB scored a toughdown and saved the Packers. Then they play the Eagles and I'm sure everyone remembers his ridiculous floating pass against the Eagles for an interception that cost the Packers a trip to the Superbowl.

I think Favre is a great QB. Isn't that enough. Let's not ignore the facts that he is also a human being (perhaps even a nice guy - I've never met him).

Why must the media always spin illusion.

Vinny said:
I'd take Farve straight up for Carr right now.
I would too ... in the early 90's. Favre was going to lead a franchise back to it's storied past and Carr was in high school.

In 2004, I take Carr and look forward to a 10 year future (not a guaranteed star, but that's what makes it exciting to watch).

Favre is like a Crossword puzzle with nearly all the answers written in. He may have won his last playoff game ... played in his last Superbowl.

Carr is like a crossword puzzle with only a couple of answers written in. He may win a few playoff games and may win a Superbowl.

i think its one,,,am i not correct ? To lazy to see, well u cant compare them, farve went to an already legendary team, and carr came to a NEW franchise and got sacked more in one year than anyother player in history, cause we had no depth here for him, unlike farve had when he went to green bay . :listening

its easy to take someones whole career and then say "hey look at how bad he did in that game" he had a horrible playoff game against the rams, does that make him bad? if you can go back and pick out his worst playoff game and use it to justify why you dont want him for that one game, then i can pick out the superbowl against the pats to justify why i DO want him in that game.

All that needs to be said is Brett Farve is a great QB now, and one of the greatest to play the game. David Carr is a young QB showing growth and potential to be great like Brett Farve.

*In my oppinion Brett Farve has fought through tough personal problems to maintain his level of playing. For instance, last year's game after his father died...I think that's why the media loves him bc of the cliche rise after a problem.

last year and the first of this year for suggesting that Carr had not shown to be the next great QB in the NFL. At least that was the way I interpreted his posts at the time. While I quietly disagreed with him at the time I have now come around to his point of view. Carr hasn't distinguished himself yet. Do I think he will? Yes, or at least I hope so. Occasional great throws and plays does not translate into greatness. It's not all the O line.
Fire away. :listening

CAC :coffee:

Brett Farve is one of my most respected players of all time. He is the epitome of a professional. I'd take him anyday.

cuppacoffee said:
last year and the first of this year for suggesting that Carr had not shown to be the next great QB in the NFL. At least that was the way I interpreted his posts at the time. While I quietly disagreed with him at the time I have now come around to his point of view. Carr hasn't distinguished himself yet. Do I think he will? Yes, or at least I hope so. Occasional great throws and plays does not translate into greatness. It's not all the O line.
Fire away. :listening

CAC :coffee:

I agree with you to a point. He definitely hasn't shown greatness yet, but he has shown improvement and potential to become great. The only question I have is will he get there? How much growth does he have left? If he is going to get there, he needs to get there soon because the Texans don't have 2 or 3 more seasons to keep losing this way.

LiveForTheGame said:
I agree with you to a point. He definitely hasn't shown greatness yet, but he has shown improvement and potential to become great. The only question I have is will he get there? How much growth does he have left? If he is going to get there, he needs to get there soon because the Texans don't have 2 or 3 more seasons to keep losing this way.
you need to surround him with talent. peyton didnt become this good because of talent alone. colts management gave him edge, and o-linemen. if you surround carr with great tools early, youll se his confidence skyrocket, and maybe he wouldnt be audibleing to runs late in the game instead of passing.

DD is a good back but i think carr makes him more than they feed off each other.

Mistril48 said:
I would too ... in the early 90's. Favre was going to lead a franchise back to it's storied past and Carr was in high school.

In 2004, I take Carr and look forward to a 10 year future (not a guaranteed star, but that's what makes it exciting to watch).
I'd swap them straight up right now. I'm not sure Carr will be nearly as good as Farve is right now at this stage in his career. I'd take 2-3 years of above average QB play then a decade of average play.

Mistril48 said:
Favre is like a Crossword puzzle with nearly all the answers written in. He may have won his last playoff game ... played in his last Superbowl.
That still doesn't make Carr better than Farve.

Mistril48 said:
Carr is like a crossword puzzle with only a couple of answers written in. He may win a few playoff games and may win a Superbowl.
And so may Trent Dilfer.

I believe Farve has had the luxury of having a good O-line. I don't care who the QB is, if you don't have an O-line you will lool like S--t, you fill in the blanks.

Let's pray that David is the next Favre, or Montana, or Staubach, or Marino...but more importantly, let's hope that the Texans mamagement is smart enough to keep him around.

wow... i dont understand anyone willing to trade Carr for Favre. Favre is on the verge of retirement.. he doesnt even know if he is coming back next year.. not with his wife in her current condition.

a couple years of above average QB play is not going to get us to the superbowl anyway.. we do not have the personel yet.

and there is no garuntee that Carr will be average through his career, or well above average.. or below average. As he is.. his stats are better than alot of great QBs stats were at the beggining of their careers. So.. signs at this juncture are pointing to greatness.

I wouldnt trade him because there is a chance, and a fairly good one, that he will be an above average QB.. id rather take the risk on having an above average QB for 10 years.. than trade him for an above average one for 2 years.

Brett Farve might be the 4th or 5th best ever....maybe. I'm not sure, but he's definitely not the best and I wouldn't trade him for a young up-and-comer, at his age, even if he was the very best ever. The guy's almost ready to retire.

He's got a lot of heart and his "want-to" might be the best ever, but the media has about 20 different QBs that they will call the best ever at any given time. I'll tell you what presently playing QB MIGHT actually be the best ever:

Payton Manning.

yeah i agree the o-line is making Dom Davis look like a bust this season and the o-line is to inconsitent in pass protection ! I feel they will improve with this new scheme though !

Back