Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Yellow lot parking

ChrisR

Practice Squad
Hello all,
I wanted to know if what I experienced Sunday was normal for those who show up late to tailgate around 9AM.
We got there later than usual around 9AM so we figured we were at the mercy of the attendants. When we gave stub and got our Sunday paper that lane pre-determined where we would be located.luckily we were in a lane that would put us on the grass but it was in the section closer to the stadium. Not bad but I enjoy the nieghbors in the section close to the fountains. When parking the attendant gave us the swing left and pull in hard right motion to park so thats what I did as did the cars in front of and behind me.
This is getting to be very long, sorry.

When we park, all the cars start seting up shop to tailgate behind the vehicles. The guy comes back and tells everyone that they have to tailgate in front of your car????????
The kicker is he was rude AND we were parked so that canopies were into the emergency lane. So what does HPD say? We have to get out of the lanes!

So now fans are trying to adjust again. This wasn't a big problem for me cause it was just my wife and I kids and usual suspects could not come so we did not have a lot of stuff to keep moving but for the others it was becoming a real chore.

But wait theres more..... He comes back and makes everyone pull thier cars out again not just a little but full car space.
whew.... what was point ohh yeh is this normal? and I will not be late again.
I will not be late again

I'm not an earlybird tailgater and have traded some of my Blue Lot passes for the Yellow so I could hang out with some close friends. I must say that I like Yellow 100 percent better than the Blue. I was especially late Sunday due to some unforeseen circumstances, and it was still quite easy to get into the parking lot, the attendants were courteous and the layout of the lot is easily accessible to the stadium. It really isn't a bad walk. IMO, the Blue Lot has some of the rudest attendants to every put on a pair of slacks. After changes were made in the Blue lot parking areas, I always seemed to be the in the car, regardless of how far in the left lane that was, directed to park by the 610 service road.

It has been easy to find the group that I tailgate with, entering and leaving the stadium is great, and for all practical purposes I am seriously considering changing back to the Yellow.

To the OP, you have to clear the lanes for emergency vehicles. Some parking attendants totally screw it up initially, forcing the cars to be moved. Some are nice about it, some are jerks. Being late doesn't have much to do with that. You just got directed to the wrong area. I generally like getting there around 8:30-8:45 to avoid the initial rush, but still have enough time to party.

We have been in the yellow lot from day one. Yes there have been times the parking lot attendants are less than helpful. But they have not been rude. But as far as this last week that was the smoothest that we have accessed the yellow lot this year. When we pulled in it was clearly marked that the right hand lane was for the paved area and the two left lanes for the grass lot. It was very smooth. All of the previous games this season were a mess with people trying to get their friends in spots beside them, when in previous years if the whole group wasn't together, then you had to move to the side and let the other tailgaters through while you waited for the rest of your tailgating group. Another thing is that on the grass the first cars in were made to go the end of the grass and then fill from that way. It was not supposed to be done that way, but it was much smoother, because in the past when filling from the beginning to the end, there was always congestion because of the tailgaters starting to setup. We think filling from end to the beginning is much smoother. Hey if you have a huge problem with parking in the yellow lot then send and email to the Texans at "fanfeedback@houstontexans.com"

I have to agree w/ dskillz, it's not that you were a little late, we had just got through telling our guests for the game about the parking and to be prepared for a lengthy wait in line while our yellow jackets decide who goes where, and when. When to our amazement they tried very hard (with signs and all)this week to guide us in the direction we wanted to go. grass< concrete>. It was nicer this week than all season so far.

My guess is one of the newbee yellow jackets directed you incorrectly and you had to adjust. Sorry. It's a big inconvenience when it is always a race to get set up. We want 3 hours and 57 min of tailgaiting, Were working on cutting our set up time 1 more minute. . .3 hours and 58 min!!!!!!!!:doot:

we are a small group only 4-7 of us so we usually get there around 7:45 no later than 8:15, 8:30 latest. And no matter if you go through the far right lane you can still turn left onto the grass area. The day was just an all around crazy day. Family getting stuck in Austin could not make it, just two of us running late, the parking lot issue, fans in section next to us getting taken away by police, come from behind heroics, last play heartbreak.

Can't wait to do it again in two weeks.

The Texans FO does listen to us on certain issues. My only gripe in the JD Powers survey was the goofy congestion at the yellow lot. I'm probably not the only one to bring it up, because they are actively trying to fix the problems.

Now, if only they would listen to fans about getting a good offensive line... :whistle:

This past Sunday was no doubt better than the previous 2 games where it took at least 25 minutes to park once the gates opened.

They also opened the gates about 10 minutes early this week because I think the line on Main St. was backed up to 610. Of course that didn't have anything to do with things running better. I know a couple in my crew e-mailed the Texans about the ridiculous situation from the previous game, and this week they had the signs posted. It was better because instead of having 4 lanes merging into one, or a group in the far left lane trying to get across to the right to park on the concrete, they had just 2 grass lanes on the left that merged, and 2 concrete lanes on the right to go to the right to park on the hard stuff.

It's been 5½ years and 56 tailgates now, so you'd think they'd have the parking situation figured out, but it seems like they do it different every single freaking time. I do like the idea of going all the way down and starting the row like that.

Maybe they could sell grass passes and concrete passes next year and they each enter through a seperate gate????

I fear that with the cost of the upkeep on the grass and the way it gets pretty torn up as the season moves along, that they'll eventually concrete that area and be done with it. Hope that never comes to be.

Maybe they could sell grass passes and concrete passes next year and they each enter through a seperate gate????

I fear that with the cost of the upkeep on the grass and the way it gets pretty torn up as the season moves along, that they'll eventually concrete that area and be done with it. Hope that never comes to be.

Great idea on the first part.

And with regards to the second, they would surely hear us if they tried that!!!

Hopefully people start realizing what a nice choice we have and take care of it accordingly. I'd hate to lose a tradition that we've had since 2002 in parking on the grass.

I know this probably won't sit well with the hardcore, but getting to the gates around 8:30-8:45 does wonders for my sanity. We usually just ride right in with no line or waiting. Also we are in the 2nd row, close to the shotgun boys and the jager boys and the strawberry lady!

Yeah...the grass has taken a beating this year...so what? Its been one of the wettest years on record. This is not the norm. No need for the Texans to react to an anomoly.

Back