Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

WR's in the 2019 Draft.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Whelp, it's only 7 days to the draft already - there is just too much crap for this not so humble draftnik to wade through.
Having said that, I'll dive in.
Just like the RB class, there are no real "elite" guys this go round.
But, just like the RB class, there is a wealth of second tier guys and possible diamonds to be unearthed.
As I inferred earlier, I have not had enough time to investigate the draft as thoroughly as I would like but found this very informative article today and it is very worthy of sharing.
First one must ask, do the Texans really need another WR?
I would say yes, but not as a high priority - hence the mid round interest.
We currently have Nuk, WFV and Keke Coutee as our first three options and they are a solid bunch indeed. However, we have seen what happens when we lose two of those players and this raises the specter of could it happen again?
Now with the intriguing quality of the ones mentioned in the article, we could very easily end up with another high quality player from a small investment in draft capital.
So it would seem wise to make hay while the sun shines.
It would be worth a good hard think for Texans FO if a JJ Arcega Whiteside, Andy Issabella, Emanuel Hall or Deebo Samuel were on the board for us.
I think you will find this article just as interesting as I did - enjoy.

For my money, Isabella will be the best WR to come out of this draft.

Would love to get him in the 3rd. Would help pass pro immensely having another target that can get open quickly and the offense would be less likely to be hampered in the event Fuller or Coutee get injured. Plus he could do returns full time!

We have 3 good choices at the get-go, but Fuller is the Kevin Johnson of the receiving corps. He's a certainty to spend most of the season in bandages. We will need a decent replacement from somewhere in the draft.

I wouldn’t prioritize a WR early in this draft since I could get reasonably good answers later. I like Antoine Wesley and Jazz Ferguson and should get either in RD5-RD7.

I normally wouldn't either looking at how we're 3 deep on the surface. But the importance of Will Fuller cannot be understated and the team needs an insurance policy in the event he is not 100% healthy to start the year or gets injured again. Hence why I think they grab a WR earlier than we might expect.

Love Isabella and Jenkins.

McLaurin is my guy this yr.

Fast and smooth.

I also like Dixon quite a bit.

McLaurin fits like a glove in this offense. Bonus points being such a selfless player considering he would have to be selfless playing behind the 3 studs in front of him on the Texans. Excellent leadership qualities and pretty much unheard of that a 2X team captain at a school like OSU also plays special teams. Texans worthy. If he falls to 86 I run to the podium and grab him.

I think the biggest surprise for Texans on draft day could be taking a WR in the 2nd due to importance of Will Fuller in offense and what happened last season with both Fuller and Coutee missing much of season. Fuller's role means that much to the Texans and a guy like McLaurin who was underutilized at OSU and has 1st round talent/character could get bumped up to the 2nd this year.

McLaurin fits like a glove in this offense. Bonus points being such a selfless player considering he would have to be selfless playing behind the 3 studs in front of him on the Texans. Excellent leadership qualities and pretty much unheard of that a 2X team captain at a school like OSU also plays special teams. Texans worthy. If he falls to 86 I run to the podium and grab him.

I think the biggest surprise for Texans on draft day could be taking a WR in the 2nd due to importance of Will Fuller in offense and what happened last season with both Fuller and Coutee missing much of season. Fuller's role means that much to the Texans and a guy like McLaurin who was underutilized at OSU and has 1st round talent/character could get bumped up to the 2nd this year.
McLauren looks good but if he is off the board you have Deebo Samuel right behind him who also has some good raps on him.

We need another 4.3 guy and there are plenty in this draft. Fuller is going to be in the last year of his rookie contract and if he misses more than a few games this year it’s time to move on with his replacement. I really want to trade down on the first and acquire an extra pick or two. I want one of

Isabella
Campbell
Hall
Hardman
McLaurin
Metcalf

As insurance. Everyone is locked in so much on CB and OT their ignoring all the other needs. Man could you imagine all the things you could do with 4 wr sets of Isabella, Kiki, Fuller and Hopkins?

Like me some Issabella but DK Metcalf is gonna be a beast - just watch.
The other one I think has great potential is Marquise Brown.
Maybe but why didn’t he dominate college? Just sayin.
"Metcalf had already showed scouts quite a bit in those seven starts as well as in the 2017 season. He was a SEC All-Freshman pick that year, starting all 12 games and grabbing 39 passes for 646 yards (16.6 average) and seven touchdowns. Metcalf had intended on playing his true freshman season in 2016, but the four-star recruit broke his foot in the second game of the year. His two catches in those games went for only 13 yards but both were touchdowns. The injury bug hit him again in 2018, as he suffered a season-ending neck injury after looking like a superstar in the first seven games of the season (26-569-21.9, five TD)."
Oh he was impressive enough, but his biggest concerns are his injuries - else he goes a LOT higher in this draft. And check out his measurables and combine.
Why do you downgrade him?

"Metcalf had already showed scouts quite a bit in those seven starts as well as in the 2017 season. He was a SEC All-Freshman pick that year, starting all 12 games and grabbing 39 passes for 646 yards (16.6 average) and seven touchdowns. Metcalf had intended on playing his true freshman season in 2016, but the four-star recruit broke his foot in the second game of the year. His two catches in those games went for only 13 yards but both were touchdowns. The injury bug hit him again in 2018, as he suffered a season-ending neck injury after looking like a superstar in the first seven games of the season (26-569-21.9, five TD)."
Oh he was impressive enough, but his biggest concerns are his injuries - else he goes a LOT higher in this draft. And check out his measurables and combine.
Why do you downgrade him?
I know all about his measurables. It’s the only reason he’s getting the attention he’s getting. In 21 games he played he only had more than 4 catches in 7 of those games and all but 2 of those games (cal and Kentucky) were small trash schools. And then there’s the injury issues. Hey he may turn out to be a good player but I would pick several WRs in this draft over him in a heart beat.

I know all about his measurables. It’s the only reason he’s getting the attention he’s getting. In 21 games he played he only had more than 4 catches in 7 of those games and all but 2 of those games (cal and Kentucky) were small trash schools. And then there’s the injury issues. Hey he may turn out to be a good player but I would pick several WRs in this draft over him in a heart beat.
Most big boards have him ranked inside the top 15 and the best receiver in the draft. Guess they all haven't got a clue.

Most big boards have him ranked inside the top 15 and the best receiver in the draft. Guess they all haven't got a clue.
Those big boards are made up by reporters not professional scouts. Reporters are more impressed by the underwear Olympics then the actual scouts are. And I’m not saying They don’t have a clue. Just telling you my opinion if it offends you I’m sorry What can I say he looks good against scrub teams and average to below average against really good teams. Like I said he may turn out to be a really good WR But right now all these proven is that he looks like Tarzan. We will have to see if he plays like Jane

Those big boards are made up by reporters not professional scouts. Reporters are more impressed by the underwear Olympics then the actual scouts are. And I’m not saying They don’t have a clue. Just telling you my opinion if it offends you I’m sorry What can I say he looks good against scrub teams and average to below average against really good teams. Like I said he may turn out to be a really good WR But right now all these proven is that he looks like Tarzan. We will have to see if he plays like Jane
Not at all.
It doesn't offend me, I am merely pointing out that you are misinformed if you think DK is undeserving of his #1 ranking.

Not at all.
It doesn't offend me, I am merely pointing out that you are misinformed if you think DK is undeserving of his #1 ranking.
Misinformed? OK if you say so. No one has informed me I’m just using logic while you and others are using his appearance and measurable. These are facts, He’s had season Ending injuries two of the last three years, one being a neck injury. He wasn’t even the best wide receiver on his own team. He’s not a good route runner. He drops a lot of passes.

Look all his negatives other than injuries, are things good coaching can fix. Andre Johnson dropped a lot of balls at Miami. Route running is something that should improve but at this point he’s nothing but a field stretching deep ball threat with injury concerns that has amazing measurables. I get it, he looks like Calvin Johnson but trust me, he is not Calvin Johnson. He’s more like a way bigger Will Fuller.

Misinformed? OK if you say so. No one has informed me I’m just using logic while you and others are using his appearance and measurable. These are facts, He’s had season Ending injuries two of the last three years, one being a neck injury. He wasn’t even the best wide receiver on his own team. He’s not a good route runner. He drops a lot of passes.

Look all his negatives other than injuries, are things good coaching can fix. Andre Johnson dropped a lot of balls at Miami. Route running is something that should improve but at this point he’s nothing but a field stretching deep ball threat with injury concerns that has amazing measurables. I get it, he looks like Calvin Johnson but trust me, he is not Calvin Johnson. He’s more like a way bigger Will Fuller.

I compare Metcalf to AJ, minus the injuries coming into the draft.

Very raw, but the talent is there.

When would you gamble on Metcalf?

For the record, Give me Brown/McLaurin/Butler over Metcalf.

Let’s just hope some other teams compete for his services picking ahead of #23.

The quote I gave you said he looked like a superstar. Appearance is how we perceive and see.
I don't know how else we assess?
Try this:-
"Big, explosive talent with projectable upside to become a home-run threat as a WR1. Teams seek out pass-catchers with rare height, weight and speed dimensions and Metcalf has those for days. While he has the talent to become a full-field threat, Metcalf is still an unpolished gem who was the second-best receiver on his college team. Until his skill-set is more developed, he could begin his career as a hit-or-miss long-ball threat. However, once it clicks, defenses could struggle to find solutions for him." Has 4:33 speed.
Or this:-
"Route Running –Shows very good footwork at the line of scrimmage to defeat press coverage and create false steps. Does well to bend back across the face of leveraged defenders on vertical stems. Explosive through breaks and create separation."

The quote I gave you said he looked like a superstar. Appearance is how we perceive and see.
I don't know how else we assess?
Try this:-
"Big, explosive talent with projectable upside to become a home-run threat as a WR1. Teams seek out pass-catchers with rare height, weight and speed dimensions and Metcalf has those for days. While he has the talent to become a full-field threat, Metcalf is still an unpolished gem who was the second-best receiver on his college team. Until his skill-set is more developed, he could begin his career as a hit-or-miss long-ball threat. However, once it clicks, defenses could struggle to find solutions for him." Has 4:33 speed.
Or this:-
"Route Running –Shows very good footwork at the line of scrimmage to defeat press coverage and create false steps. Does well to bend back across the face of leveraged defenders on vertical stems. Explosive through breaks and create separation."

Ok. You like him as the best WR and I don’t. :handshake:

Do you really want a 5'9" 166# WR with 9" hands..............and freshly coming off of Lisfranc surgery?

I thought I read last offseason Fuller was only around 170 lbs? Teams aren't going to be asking Brown to take a beating over the middle all they want is for him to take the top off the defense. Speed guys that can track the deep ball are always in demand. It's why Brandin Cooks seems to get traded for a 1st round pick every year!

That being said... didn't know about the Lisfranc surgery. What's the recovery time on that? :(

I’m still a Hunter Renfro fan.

Currently the Texans have the quick (Keke), the fast (Fuller) and the sure handed. Now they need the precise route runner with the knack of finding the soft spots in the coverage. Renfro fits that bill and he already has chemistry with Watson.

Last edited:
I thought I read last offseason Fuller was only around 170 lbs? Teams aren't going to be asking Brown to take a beating over the middle all they want is for him to take the top off the defense. Speed guys that can track the deep ball are always in demand. It's why Brandin Cooks seems to get traded for a 1st round pick every year!

That being said... didn't know about the Lisfranc surgery. What's the recovery time on that? :(

Over the years, I have tried to relay to the MB the serious implications of this injury. Here is an abstract of the best up to date data (published in ORTHOPEDICS July 2018) on NFL players having suffered a Lisfranc injury. It reinforces all of my personal experience and conclusions:

Orthopedics. 2018 Jul 1;41(4):e479-e482. doi: 10.3928/01477447-20180424-03. Epub 2018 Apr 30.
Performance-Based Outcomes Following Lisfranc Injury Among Professional American Football and Rugby Athletes.
Singh SK, George A, Kadakia AR, Hsu WK.

Abstract
Professional National Football League (NFL) and rugby athletes have high rates of Lisfranc injuries. Although favorable return-to-play rates have been previously reported, a thorough assessment of postinjury performance is lacking. Professional NFL and rugby athletes who sustained a Lisfranc injury were identified using a well-established protocol confirmed by multiple sources of the public record. Return-to-play rate and time to return were determined for each athlete. League participation and game performance were collected 1 season prior to injury and up to 3 seasons after injury. Statistical analysis was performed, with P≤.05 being significant. A total of 47 athletes (NFL=35, rugby=12) with Lisfranc injuries were identified, having 23 ligamentous injuries and 24 fractures. Thirty-five (75%) were treated operatively. Among NFL players, 29 (83%) returned to play, taking 10.0±2.9 months to do so. Overall, NFL players started fewer games 2 and 3 seasons following surgery (P=.002 and .035, respectively) and showed a significant decline in performance 1 season after return compared with preinjury levels (21%; P=.05). Offensive players had a significantly greater decline in statistical performance compared with defensive counterparts (P=.02). Although professional NFL athletes return to play at a high rate (83%) following Lisfranc injury, their league participation and performance is significantly decreased on return. Ligamentous and bony injuries have similar prognoses; however, offensive players show greater declines in performance compared with defensive players. To best guide therapy, players, coaches, and team physicians should be aware of the impact of Lisfranc injuries on career performance and longevity.

I compare Metcalf to AJ, minus the injuries coming into the draft.

Very raw, but the talent is there.

When would you gamble on Metcalf?

For the record, Give me Brown/McLaurin/Butler over Metcalf.
He will be gone before I would take a chance on him. This team needs to much to be gambling. If I were to gamble it would be on someone like Simmons. Although I don’t really consider that a gamble.

He will be gone before I would take a chance on him. This team needs to much to be gambling. If I were to gamble it would be on someone like Simmons. Although I don’t really consider that a gamble.

Agree with Mussop. I'm not gambling on Metcalf. The media loves him but he can only run 2 routes and I bet he falls.

Why the Texans may draft a running back
Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle April 24, 2019

Running back Lamar Miller is entering the final season of his contract with the Texans.
Photo: Karen Warren, Houston Chronicle / Staff photographer

The Texans’ offensive backfield could be due for a new addition.

At first blush, yes, the Texans are basically set at running back.

Lamar Miller is back following a productive season.

Backup D’Onta Foreman reported for the offensive conditioning program down to 230 pounds and healthy again after an injury-plagued second NFL season.
Those factors along with a desire to add a versatile, pass-catching back, explains the Texans’ due diligence in running backs available via the NFL draft.

That includes Texans offensive coordinator Tim Kelly conducting a private workout of Penn State running back Miles Sanders, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Sanders is regarded as an ascending draft prospect who could go within the first 50 selections.

Sanders (5-11, 211) replaced Saquon Barkley at Penn State last season and rushed for 1,274 yards and nine touchdowns, averaging 5.8 yards per carry. At the NFL scouting combine, he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds and had a 36-inch vertical leap.

“He’s just done a really good job,” said NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah, a former NFL scout with the Ravens, Cleveland Browns and Eagles. “Having to wait his turn and then to play like he did, and then deliver in the postseason the way he has, he hasn't really had a misstep once he got his chance. You like to see that from him. In terms of how high he could go, I'd say it's unlikely that he goes in the bottom of the first round. It wouldn't totally shock me.

“A team like the Rams, that might surprise some people considering who they have in Todd Gurley, but they've done a lot of homework on running backs. I do think he's a lock to go in the second round, and I would anticipate he's somebody that goes in the top 40 to 50 picks. I think you'll see him go in the first part of the second round. He won't have to wait too long.”

Texas A&M running back Trayveon Williams (C.E. King) visited the Texans after previously meeting with them at the NFL scouting combine.

Williams declared early for the draft after breaking the Aggies' single-season records for rushing yards (1,760). He finished his career as the Aggies' third-leading all-time rusher with 3,615 yards.

Memphis All-American running back Darrell Henderson visited the Texans, according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Henderson, 5-8, 208 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds at the NFL scouting combine. He bench pressed 225 pounds 22 times and had a 33 1/2 inch vertical leap.

Henderson rushed for 1,909 yards and 22 touchdowns last season as he averaged 8.9 yards per carry. He caught 19 passes for 295 yards and three scores.

“Henderson is a true home run hitter,” Jeremiah said. “He presses the hold, no nonsense, and he's got a lot of top-end speed. He plays much faster than the 4.49 he ran.”

Oklahoma running back Rodney Anderson, a Katy graduate, also visited the Texans.

THE REST OF THE STORY

4) D.K. Metcalf will fall into the 20s and might not be the first WR drafted: Despite his incredible combination of height (6-foot-3), weight (228 pounds), speed (4.33 40) and abs, Metcalf may be falling. He was considered a prospect who could be pushed up the board due to traits, but the concerns over his limitations as a route runner coupled with the depth of talent that could be available at the position in Round 2 could lead to a tumble for Metcalf, clearing the way for Marquise Brown to be the first receiver selected.

4) D.K. Metcalf will fall into the 20s and might not be the first WR drafted: Despite his incredible combination of height (6-foot-3), weight (228 pounds), speed (4.33 40) and abs, Metcalf may be falling. He was considered a prospect who could be pushed up the board due to traits, but the concerns over his limitations as a route runner coupled with the depth of talent that could be available at the position in Round 2 could lead to a tumble for Metcalf, clearing the way for Marquise Brown to be the first receiver selected.
Which is not likely either due to his linsfranc injury so both likely slide.

2019 NFL Draft Capital -- Team-by-team • Giants, Raiders have the most draft capital by far • Seahawks now have the sixth-most capital after Frank Clark trade • Patriots have the most picks in first 3 rounds (6)

D48AF64U4AEIc3q.jpg

2019 NFL Draft Capital -- Team-by-team • Giants, Raiders have the most draft capital by far • Seahawks now have the sixth-most capital after Frank Clark trade • Patriots have the most picks in first 3 rounds (6)

D48AF64U4AEIc3q.jpg

Ducking BB......man wins the Super Bowl then sets the table with 6 picks in the first 3 rounds and has 12 picks overall and folks wonder why the Patriots are perennial winners. I hope Fant is still on the board after 22 b/c the Texans might get a call inquiring as to what it may take to move into their spot.

Lance Zierlein's Texans draft primer

Lance Zierlein
Apr 25, 2019, 9:46 am

The Houston Texans are in a precarious spot because they have quality core players on the roster, but they are dangerously low in talent and/or depth at offensive tackle and at cornerback. While we're at it, they need more depth at wide receiver and running back to help fortify the offense's explosiveness.

With all of that said, let's take a look at what you need to know headed into the draft.

Needs

Offensive line: The Texans need at least one and maybe two tackles in this draft. The supply doesn't match the demand for the left tackle spot so the Texans will need to consider any good tackle, right or left, when they get their shots. The Texans could also look for more competition at both guard and center in this draft.

Cornerback: Brien Boddy-Calhoun, Johnathan Joseph and Bradley Roby are all on one-year deals so there is a chance that all three will be gone next year - along with Aaron Colvin if he doesn't get things figured out. The Texans may have to address cornerback more than once in this draft and keep firing into next year.

Running back: Lamar Miller has done fine, but he's playing at a replaceable level and the Texans could look to add running back depth to compete with both Miller and D'Onta Foreman for carries. Foreman will be on a short leash this year and will need to show and prove or he could be gone after the year.

Wide receiver: Based upon the amount of private visits and the interest level the Texans have shown at the wide receiver position, it is obvious that position will be targeted. Will Fuller can't stay on the field and KeKe Coutee's soft tissue injury wouldn't heal properly. The Texans will be looking for depth that could turn into a future starter, but it may not be until later in the draft.

Defensive line: There is a belief in league circles that Jadeveon Clowney could be on the trade block as you read this. If that is the case, the Texans will absolutely need to be prepared to look at depth/talent on the edge.

Round 1 targets

Andre Dillard, LT, Washington State: The most gifted left tackle in this draft will likely go way before the Texans pick and I don't expect them to trade away their valuable picks to get their hands on him unless he drops far enough to where it may cost them a future third next year.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Back