Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Wong has good point

donbmt

Waterboy
Kailee Wong said this morning on 610 that the biggest difference he sees in this years team versus the past two is quality of depth. I think that's a very good observation.

I think the players who have been here from day one can now tell the difference in the overall team and I believe that is a good thing because I think you will see these big named guys that were brought in here like Sharper, Wong, Glenn, and Coleman step up their play even more so this year.

El Tejano said:
I think the players who have been here from day one can now tell the difference in the overall team and I believe that is a good thing because I think you will see these big named guys that were brought in here like Sharper, Wong, Glenn, and Coleman step up their play even more so this year.

You can already see that the veterans have pick up the intensity, with Wade and Walker getting into it already this early. Hopefully the rookies take note and follow suit.

donbmt said:
I guess that's why I'm not a rocket scientist

My comment wasnt directed towards you...it was directed towards Wong...everyone can see that our lines actually have quality depth at them...especially with our depleted lines last year and the experience our guys got because of that. Sorry if you read it wrong.

You know Robaire Smith has played on that defensive line with the Titans and he had to work to get there. I think what he does is bring that attitude like he said and I believe that will spread over the entire defense.

El Tejano said:
What do you all think of Wong switching to the right side of the defense?
Well, he switched from a MLB in a 4-3 to LOLB in a 3-4 when he came to the Texans so this shouldn't be a big deal for him.

He had a number of pressures last year. He might turn those pressures into sacks now that he is on the backside. QB's won't always see him coming.

I'm just a little reserved on Wong switching to the right side and having Babin start on left. Wong may not have been the greatest sack master but he sure did do a lot of things to disrupt plays on the left side. Good run stuffer, good zone & Man coverage, and great attitude. I was thinking that Babin would be a perfect fit on at the ROLB once Clemons had an exit, but since Babin was playing alot at the LDE spot in college, this may be the best place to put him. Babin does lack the cohesion with vets, coverage ability and a new system. All this and he has to keep an eye on the FB and TE when they go out of the backfield, something he will be new to. We lose veteran leadership and play when we switch Wong over, although Babin may be the better player, it may take a while. It's tough for a rookie LB to come right in in the 3-4 and expect to be producing great numbers. It may take time, which is why we may have elected to try him out right away because we are still a few years away from contention.

The thing about Wong on ROLB is the blindside thing, but he isn't as fast as Babin, at least I don't think so. I would have thought we would have put the faster guy there. I am not sure what the thinking is related to which guy would have been better, but the Coaches like Babin on the left, so we will see how that plays out. I am sure they will go with the line up that allows for the most pressure/sacks on the QB.

Wong also said that the right side is his natural side anyway, so he may have been pushing the staff for the move behind the scenes. Rushing from the right uses a different plant foot and different hand work. Having Wong on the right may not be too much more complex than Babin may be more comfortable using his left plant foot on the edge and Wong may be more comfortable using his right plant foot when pass rushing.

That makes sense. I know from a personal standpoint, I can't push off of my left foot for beans, but the right no problem. I am right handed, so I suspect that enters into it. Might be kind of interesting to find out if they are left and right handed respectivly. Might give some incite on why they play better from one side than another. Just off season trivia stuff to keep intertained I guess.

SteelBlue said:
Wong also said that the right side is his natural side anyway, so he may have been pushing the staff for the move behind the scenes.....

Didja hear him also ask what the sack record was? :D I think he's just happy to get back to his original placement, not having to deal with TE's as much and also come from the QB's blind side.

He mentioned Babin was learning pretty fast (faster than he was when he was a rookie) and that going up against Bruener during practice was a real good way to learn it.

Which side does Jamie Sharper line up on? Is he the RMLB? If he is this could cause trouble for opposing offenses because you now have a pretty stacked right side with two very capable pass rushers. But I believe Wong will line up next to Foreman which means the run support will now be equal on both sides of the defense.

El Tejano, makes a good point. If Wong were on the left and Sharper on the right that makes for a balanced run prevent. The thing we don't know right now is how good Babin is going to be against the run. Heard he was supposed to be good, but that was college. If he is truly good, then neither side will be a "Gimmie" to run to and if Payne is back solid the middle will be tough also. Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Wong also said that Babin will be practicing against and learning from the best blocking tightend in the league, Our new guy Bruener.

El Tejano said:
Is he the RMLB?

Since there is no true middle in the 3-4, they usually refer to it as RILB and LILB (where the "I" stands for inside). Not trying to be a spelling/grammar nazi. I'm just trying to keep you informed.

I haven't been keeping up lately, So they aren't moving Sharper?

SteelBlue said:
From L to R (facing the offense)

Babin Foreman Sharper Wong

On previous postings, I think we agreed that the Texans don't flip their outside linebackers based on the strength of the offense (ie. the LOLB stays on the left and the ROLB stays on the right, regardless of the position of the TE and other 'strength' indicators).

Are we sure the Texans don't flip the ILBs? Perhaps instead of left and right, sharper and Foreman are Mac and Buck linebackers, who flip based on the strength call of the defense.

Does anyone know for sure? If so, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Foreman and Sharper flip flop. Watch the first defensive series of the Carolina game for example.

aj. said:
Foreman and Sharper flip flop. Watch the first defensive series of the Carolina game for example.

Thank you for the info.

Is it easy to determine who is playing strong and who is playing weak? While it is not always based on a TE (for example 0 TE or 2 TEs), was it fairly straight forward to determine their strength calls?

There were a couple plays where it was obvious that Foreman lined up on the fullback side but there were others that you couldn't tell at all.

For some reason I had a mental image of Foreman exclusively at LILB (probably based on what I've seen when I'm at the games), but I also fast forwarded through the Buffalo game from last year and Sharper lined up a lot at LILB.

There's obviously situations where they switch. I don't have enough tape to determine the predominant set - if there is one.

Back